Re: Treasury secretary won't say whether dept surveils Americans' purchases: 'Concerning'

Traitor Hanging Tree

Feb 11, 2024, 1:32:00 AMFeb 11
On 03 Mar 2022, Molly Bolt <mollyth...@gmail.com> posted some
news:c9a078e8-2d6d-4e20...@googlegroups.com:

> Janet Yellen should be hung with the other traitors. Get the ropes
> ready.

WASHINGTON (TND) — Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen avoided declaring
whether the department has surveilled consumers’ purchases in a House
hearing on financial stability Tuesday.

Yellen refrained from disclosing to Rep. Ann Wagner, R-Mo., whether the
Treasury instructed financial institutions to search purchasers’
transactions.

“We received a letter from you, I believe, on this topic, and we intend
to investigate fully and to respond,” Yellen said to Rep. Wagner.

After Rep. Wagner pressed the secretary to directly address her inquiry,
Yellen pivoted to describing the responsibilities of the department’s
Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), which collects, analyzes
and disseminates financial intelligence. Upon Rep. Wagner’s third
repetition of her question, Yellen promised a “thorough look” into what
has occurred.

“Well, this is really concerning, and I hope that you get to it as
quickly as possible,” Rep. Wagner responded. The lawmaker claimed Yellen
advocated for reporting transactions of $600 or more to the IRS.

READ MORE | Feds flagged bank transactions for bibles, hunting firearms
after Jan 6, congressman says

“Increasingly, we are hearing the federal government is suggesting banks
search private financial transactions using highly partisan political
terms or check to see if customers made purchases that could be
associated with legal sales of firearms or even religious texts,” Rep.
Wagner remarked.

Last month, the Judiciary Committee found FinCEN informed financial
institutions of the “typologies” of various people of interest, as well
as search words like “Trump” and “MAGA” for identifying transactions on
behalf of the federal government.

FinCEN also warned institutions of extremism indicators, such as bus or
plane tickets and rental car charges to areas with “no apparent purpose”
or religious texts containing extremist views, according to the
committee.

“In other words, FinCEN used large financial institutions to comb
through the private transactions of their customers for suspicious
charges on the basis of protected political and religious expression,”
Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, wrote.

READ MORE | USPS taking heat from Congress for policy allowing
disclosure of customer info

The committee also found FinCEN distributed instructions on how to
detect possible terrorists and active shooters using codes for “small
arms” and “sporting and recreational goods and supplies” and keywords
like “Cabela’s” and “Dick’s Sporting Goods.”

“Despite these transactions having no apparent criminal nexus—and, in
fact, relate to Americans exercising their Second Amendment rights—
FinCEN seems to have adopted a characterization of these Americans as
potential threat actors,” Rep. Jordan said.

Rep. Jordan alleged the “pervasive” financial surveillance into private
transactions was “alarming” and raises “serious doubts” about FinCEN’s
respect for “fundamental” civil liberties.

https://mynbc15.com/news/nation-world/treasury-secretary-wont-say-whether
-dept-surveils-americans-purchases-concerning-janet-yellen-ann-wagner-fin
cen-transactions-financial-crimes-enforcement-network