Steve Bannon found guilty of contempt of Congress for ignoring January 6 [One ring cirucs...] hearing subpoena

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Leroy N. Soetoro

未读,
2022年7月22日 16:59:402022/7/22
收件人
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/steve-bannon-found-guilty-contempt-
congress-ignoring-january-6-hearing-subpoena

Former Trump White House official Steve Bannon was found guilty of
contempt of Congress after he ignored a subpoena from the House Jan. 6
committee.

Bannon faces 30 days to a year in prison for each of the two misdemeanor
charges. The jury was ordered to begin deliberating Friday morning.

U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols discharged the jury after hearing closing
arguments from both the prosecution and defense.

BANNON WILL NOT TESTIFY AT CRIMINAL CONTEMPT TRIAL, AS DEFENSE ANNOUNCES
THEY WILL NOT CALL WITNESSES

The Department of Justice charged Bannon with two counts of contempt of
Congress after he ignored a subpoena from the House Jan. 6 committee.
Bannon pleaded not guilty.

Bannon claimed executive privilege precluded him from appearing before the
committee to talk about the Jan. 6, 2020, attack on the U.S. Capitol,
though prosecutors noted that he left the White House in 2017.

The Justice Department began closing arguments Friday morning with
prosecutor Molly Gaston telling jurors, "This is a man who didn’t show
up."

"He didn’t want to recognize Congress’ authority or play by the
government’s rules," Gaston said. "Our government only works if people
show up and play by the rules and are held accountable when they do not."

JUDGE DENIES STEVE BANNON'S REQUEST FOR DELAY TO CRIMINAL CONTEMPT TRIAL

"When he chose to defy a congressional subpoena, that was a crime," Gaston
continued. "The defendant chose allegiance to Donald Trump over compliance
with the law."

The defense, however, told jurors that "the entire foundation of the
government’s case rests" on the testimony of January 6th Committee staffer
Kristen Amerling.

"You need to consider whether a witness has a friendship or hostility
towards anybody connected with the case, that some something you need to
consider," Bannon lawyer Evan Corcoran said.

Corcoran told the jury that Amerling has an interest in the outcome of the
case. "She’s been doing committee work for Democrats for 20 years. She has
a relationship with one of the prosecutors on the case, Mrs. Gaston. It
goes back 15 years. She’s contributed her own money to Democratic causes."

BANNON TRIAL: GOVERNMENT WITNESS HAS BOOK CLUB CONNECT TO PROSECUTOR

Corcoran also told reminded the jury about testimony that Amerling and
Gaston had a relationship outside of work, as members of the same book
club. Corcoran also told the jury politics are at play in this case.

"Prosecution has to be based on unbiased neutral evidence, politics can
play no role, and Steve Bannon is innocent," he said.

Bannon's sentencing hearing is set for October 21 at 3 p.m.

Following the decision, Bannon told members of the media that "we may have
lost," but "We're not going to lose this war."

Bannon defense attorney David Schoen said that the prosecutor's argument
"completely tears asunder constitutional principle of separation of
powers."

"But shame on this office of the United States Attorney's Office and the
Department of Justice for how far it is. They put forward an argument
today that completely tears asunder Constitutional principle of separation
of powers. They argued to the jury today that when a person gets a
subpoena, and executive privilege is invoked, it's for Congress to decide
whether the executive privilege is valid and how broad it is. That's
absolutely false," Schoen said.

U.S. Attorney Matthew Graves said in a press release that the subpoena
"was not an invitation that could be rejected or ignored."

"The subpoena to Stephen Bannon was not an invitation that could be
rejected or ignored," Graves said. "Mr. Bannon had an obligation to appear
before the House Select Committee to give testimony and provide documents.
His refusal to do so was deliberate and now a jury has found that he must
pay the consequences."

Steven M. D’Antuono, assistant director in charge of the FBI Washington
field office said that subpoenas are "critical in our system of
government."

"The tenets of our government rely upon citizens adhering to the
established rules of law. Lawful tools, such as subpoenas and other legal
orders, are critical in our system of government," D’Antuono said. "Mr.
Bannon was found guilty of contempt by a jury of his peers for his choice
to ignore a lawful subpoena. The FBI will continue our sworn duty to
investigate those who have committed violations of our laws and hold them
accountable for their actions."

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Mb

未读,
2022年7月22日 18:40:022022/7/22
收件人
In article <lnsAEDC8E5BB4...@0.0.0.2>

> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/steve-bannon-found-guilty-contempt-
> congress-ignoring-january-6-hearing-subpoena

Lock him up!

Rudy Canoza

未读,
2022年7月22日 21:07:282022/7/22
收件人
On 7/22/2022 5:30 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <lnsAEDC8E5BB4...@0.0.0.2>,
> "Leroy N. Soetoro" <democrat-...@mail.house.gov> wrote:
>
>> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/steve-bannon-found-guilty-contempt-
>> congress-ignoring-january-6-hearing-subpoena
>>
>> Former Trump White House official Steve Bannon was found guilty of
>> contempt of Congress after he ignored a subpoena from the House Jan. 6
>> committee.
>>
>> Bannon faces 30 days to a year in prison for each of the two misdemeanor
>> charges. The jury was ordered to begin deliberating Friday morning.
>
> No sentencing until October? They'd better confiscate his passport and
> make sure he doesn't take off in one of his Russian oligarch buddy's
> yachts.

I don't get the three month delay. These are misdemeanor charges, and the
minimum jail time is 30 days, which probably can be served concurrently. It's
not as if there's a great amount of analysis to be done.

> I hope he gets the two full years for mouthing off after the verdict,
> even making the bullshit claim that Bennie Thompson was faking Covid so
> he couldn't come and testify during his trial (which he wasn't required
> to do anyway).

I hope he gets the full two years just because he's fascist shitbag who assisted
in trying to overthrow the Constitution.

> The way the statute is worded it's possible he could wind up in a lowly
> D.C. lockup instead of federal prison, then he could really do his
> Boxcar Stevie "He's in the jailhouse now" routine, lol.

0 个新帖子