GOP slams 'weaponization' of DOJ after Trump's Mar-a-Lago raided by FBI; Dems call it 'accountability'

Leroy N. Soetoro

Aug 11, 2022, 2:42:57 PM8/11/22
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-slams-weaponization-doj-after-trumps-
mar-a-lago-raided-fbi-dems-call-accountability

After former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago home in Florida was raided by
FBI agents, Republicans are slamming the Biden administration and accusing
the Department of Justice of "political weaponization," while Democrats
are lauding the agency for holding Trump accountable for "wrongdoing."

"The raid of MAL is another escalation in the weaponization of federal
agencies against the Regime’s political opponents, while people like
Hunter Biden get treated with kid gloves," said Republican Florida Gov.
Ron DeSantis. "Now the Regime is getting another 87k IRS agents to wield
against its adversaries? Banana Republic."

Multiple sources tell Fox News the FBI's raid of Mar-a-Lago is related to
the materials Trump allegedly brought to his private residence after his
presidency concluded. That matter was referred to the Justice Department
by the National Archives and Records Administration, which said it found
classified material in 15 boxes at the residence.

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy issued a warning to Attorney General
Merrick Garland that extensive oversight by Republicans in Congress will
be heading his way.

TRUMP SAYS MAR-A-LAGO HOME IN FLORIDA 'UNDER SIEGE' BY FBI AGENTS

"Attorney General Garland: preserve your documents and clear your
calendar," wrote McCarthy.

South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem blasted Biden's FBI, calling the
agency's actions "un-American" in a statement posted to Twitter Monday
evening.

"The FBI raid on President Trump’s home is an unprecedented political
weaponization of the Justice Department. They’ve been after President
Trump as a candidate, as President, and now as a former President. Using
the criminal justice system in this manner is un-American," wrote Noem.

"Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States
before. After working and cooperating with the relevant Government
agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or
appropriate," Trump said Monday.

DOJ REPORTEDLY INVESTIGATING TRUMP'S CONDUCT, CONVERSATIONS AS PART OF
2020 ELECTION PROBE

"It is prosecutorial misconduct, the weaponization of the Justice System,
and an attack by Radical Left Democrats who desperately don't want me to
run for President in 2024, especially based on recent polls, and who will
likewise do anything to stop Republicans and Conservatives in the upcoming
Midterm Elections," the former president continued.

However, "Squad" Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said the FBI is working
toward "accountability" and went as far as to say Trump should be in
prison.

"That’s what happens when you break the law, try to steal an election, and
incite a deadly insurrection. Donald Trump should be in jail. I’m glad to
see the FBI taking steps towards accountability."

Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., called Trump's statement "defensive" during an
MSNBC segment Monday.

"But look, the FBI doesn't just go in unless a judge signs off on a search
warrant. That means they have some probable evidence about possible
wrongdoing. And it's something that the whole country needs to pay
attention to and shows that Justice Garland, Attorney General Garland is
setting this up step by step," he stated.

"I think Attorney General Garland and the Justice Department have done a
very good job by following the facts," he said. "I do think that this
gives me confidence that the Justice Department is really pursuing this
thoroughly, objectively and in a nonpolitical way," Khanna continued.

Congressional Republicans also took to Twitter, criticizing the FBI's
"unprecedented" raid.

"The only thing missing from the unprecedented FBI raid at President
Trump’s home is Muammar Gaddafi’s sunglasses and cap on Joe Biden," wrote
Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz.

Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., asked on Twittter: "What does the FBI know about
Hunter Biden?"

GOP Rep. Jim Banks of Indiana mentioned the $739 billion Manchin-Schumer
bill that just passed the senate, which expanded the IRS, in his rebuke of
the FBI's action.

"If the FBI can raid the home of a former US President, imagine what
87,000 more IRS agents will do to you," he quipped on Twitter.

South Carolina Senator Tim Scott echoed Banks' sentiment on Mark Levin's
radio show.

"Biden is dividing our country and the DOJ seems to be reinforcing that
division through their actions… that is very dangerous to the everyday
person walking on the streets of America," Scott said to Levin on Monday
night.

"We must have 100% confidence and trust in our justice system," the
Republican senator added. "And if they can target a former president, you
know, they could target me and you."

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel called the
raid "outrageous."

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Countless times we have examples of
Democrats flouting the law and abusing power with no recourse, including
Hunter Biden. Democrats continually weaponize the bureaucracy against
Republicans. This raid is outrageous," she wrote on Twitter.

Federal law bars the removal of classified documents to unauthorized
locations, though it is possible that Trump could try to argue that, as
president, he was the ultimate declassification authority.

Fox News' Brooke Singman, David Spunt, Bradford Betz, and Andrea Vacchiano
contributed to this report.

Kelly Laco is a politics editor for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be
sent to Kelly...@Fox.com and on Twitter: @kelly_laco.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.