OK, the results are in. Back on the air soon.

Brian Reid

Mar 17, 1991, 12:14:24 PM3/17/91
The people who invented "newsgroup voting" have really conditioned you folks
well. I got about 300 replies to my query, and the vast majority of them were
phrased as if they were in reply to a formal new-group vote. Remember that
alt.gourmand is in alt.* (in fact, alt.* was created for the purpose of
carrying alt.gourmand).

The replies to my poll were as follows:
300: yes. do it.
5: yes, restart it, but please don't do reruns, because I
already have them.
1: don't do it. rec.food.recipes is good enough.

Within the next few weeks, alt.gourmand will resume with 100% reruns; I will
then gradually fade in new material as I have the time to format it and test
it. There will be periodic postings of the software, documentation, and
policies. Reruns will be marked as such, though many have been updated and
bug-fixed, and I forgot to keep records of which recipes had been repaired.
When people sent in corrections to recipes I just edited them into the
database but never kept a log of having done it.

All recipes will be posted both in cleartext and troff format. There is some
public-domain software available that reads the troff files and formats them
without the use of troff; perhaps it will work on PC's and such.

Brian Reid
Hungry.