Low-Cal Ice Cream

Beckwith

Jun 24, 1994, 12:02:06 PM6/24/94
Bruce McGuffin (mcgu...@ll.mit.edu) wrote:
: Joel Furr says:

: Ice cream or frozen yogurt that's billed as really low-cal and all that is
: low-cal because so much air is whipped into it that it's actually less
: dense than regular ice cream.

[stuff deleted]

: I don't know about lo-cal, but one of the big differences between cheap ice
: cream and premium ice cream is density. The cheap stuff is whipped up
: until its full of air.

[more stuff deleted}

: Of
: course the other big difference between premium and store brand is fat
: content. I don't think that is controlled just by whipping.

There are a few ways that you can get lo-cal ice cream.

One is to whip in more air. If you weigh a quart of "premium" hand
packed ice cream, it will usually weigh more than a quart of grocery
store ice cream despite the inevitable voids in hand packed ice cream.
[I saw this in a Baskin-Robbins store as a youth and have carried it
with me ever since. Oddly enough, I think there was also an Ann
Landers or Dear Abby question about putting hand packed ice cream into
a store bought ice cream container in the late sixties that covered
the same ground. I think my skull may hold a mental junk yard.]

Another way to lower calories is to use a lo-cal sweetener.

You can also adjust the fat content of the product.

"Premium" ice creams typically use high fat cream. High fat might
mean something around 14%. Normal cream might be closer top 10%. [I
say might because it's been years since I heard these numbers. It was
at the beginning of the designer ice cream era, circa 1978.] Now if
you want lower calories, you can use lower fat content cream.

Another way to lower the calories *OR* lower the fat content is to
replace your favorite tri-glycerides with fake fat (e.g., Olestra) or,
and here I'm treading on potential dietary UL ground, mono or di
glycerides (instead of tri-glycerides). I don't believe that mono or
di-glycerides count in fat calculations (at least that's what I've
heard) although your body treats them like tri-glycerides. If this is
true, replacing tri-glycerides with lower-glycerides, allows you to
call a product "fat free," although I don't believe it makes it low
calorie.

Richard

Peter Zelchenko

Jul 1, 1994, 10:00:14 AM7/1/94
In article <2uf01u$s...@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu>,

Beckwith <beck...@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> wrote:
>"Premium" ice creams typically use high fat cream. High fat might
>mean something around 14%. Normal cream might be closer top 10%. [I
>say might because it's been years since I heard these numbers. It was
>at the beginning of the designer ice cream era, circa 1978.] Now if
>you want lower calories, you can use lower fat content cream.

I believe normal cream is typically around 18% milkfat. Remember ice
milk? That was an older FDA name for ice ream with lower than
something like 6% milkfat.