Propaganda: Why do you hate it?

Joel McLemore

Mar 14, 1994, 9:30:28 AM3/14/94

Greetings:
I've noticed from time to time in this group that people
seem to have a less-than-charitible attitude toward Propaganda
magazine. I buy it every now and then [please don't crucify me,
I live in a very small town and there's little else available
of a Gothic nature]. I'm considering reviewing the latest issue
for a computer zine, and I'd like to know the general opinions of
the net.goths concerning Propaganda.
Do you hate it? If so, why?
Like it? What do you like about it?

Post or email, it doesn't matter, I spend 90% of my time in the
newsgroups anyway. I'd just like to know people's opinions on this
publication.

joel mclemore

Phillip Henry Gochenour

Mar 14, 1994, 5:12:19 PM3/14/94
Joel McLemore (ben...@well.sf.ca.us) wrote:

: Greetings:

flowers_to_burn

Mar 15, 1994, 1:31:52 AM3/15/94

Well, I don't hate it, but I don't think it's quite representative of the community. There are some damn cheezy articles too. Like The Blood Countess,
or whatever other cheeze-ball-vampire-biting-mellodramatic-John-Koviak-filled-
pseudo-christian-imagery that grace the pages. It's stuff like this that gives
gothdom a bad name! ;) The interviews which could have the potential of being
interesting and informative are often manipulated to make the interviewee seem
a certain way. I mean they make all the bands seem as if they are all these
spooky scary myserious people, which in reality they aren't and probably don't
want to be portrayed in that way.

moomin thirteen

--
"Someday...Someday everything you need is just gonna fall outta the sky...
...outta the sky..." -AE

Jason D. Puckett

Mar 15, 1994, 2:09:09 PM3/15/94
ben...@well.sf.ca.us (Joel McLemore) writes:

>Greetings:
> I've noticed from time to time in this group that people
>seem to have a less-than-charitible attitude toward Propaganda
>magazine. I buy it every now and then [please don't crucify me,

[snip]

>Do you hate it? If so, why?
>Like it? What do you like about it?

My main complaint is that they have this tendency of getting very gushy
and excited about *everything* they review, or write about, or take
pictures of. It just gives them a very amaterurish feel. Surely they
don't love *every* band they review? I've yet to see anything in a
Propaganda review in the way of criticism, constructive or otherwise.

I find myself thinking when music shopping, "I wonder if I'd like this
band. Well, Propaganda gave them a good review. On the other hand,
Propaganda gives everything a good review." I'm then left as clueless as
I was before.

Jason "I am the Pumpkin King" Puckett| "It would be great to have a kryptonite
Georgia State University, Atlanta | cross, because then you could keep
law...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu | Dracula *and* Superman away."

Swamp Terrorist

Mar 16, 1994, 3:55:43 AM3/16/94
P> : seem to have a less-than-charitible attitude toward Propaganda
P> : magazine. I buy it every now and then [please don't crucify me,
P> : Do you hate it? If so, why?

I don't hate it-I think some of the things in it get lame after awhile..
Some of the make-up gets a bit out of hand.. Usually it's done quite
nicely.. but this month's is shot to hell.. the articles are okay.. but the
interview the same damn bands time after time.. I have seen (I think) two
other DCD interviews in previous Propagandas.. And I think two DIJ
interviews (Tho they are not in this months..).. The re-hash the same stuff
over anf over.. I also feel they try to purport this "You have to look like
this to be gothic" look.. I dunno.. mebbe I read too much into it..

-Swamp Terrorist

No one really has the answers to our little prayers..

-- Via DLG Pro v1.0

MARGARET SCOTT GATES

Mar 16, 1994, 2:20:25 PM3/16/94

Propaganda is quite simply *trite*. The "articles" on
"historical" subject matter are sometimes cute for
a laugh, but more often than not are just annoying (WHAT was
that Holy Spear & Hitler KaKa supposed to be...as dumb as
it was the whole thing was plagerized from a loopy new age
book called--guess what?-- Holy Spear...typically, no mention
in the article as to where the thesis passed off as information
came from).

The interviews are The Worst. The last Shadow Project interview
was a travesty...I think that Rene person was responsible for it.
She used the interview not as an opportunity to explore a deeper
or more personal side of the band, but rather to let us all know
that Rozz was a long-time penpal. Like anyone reading it would care?

And the poetry...that goes even beyond trite. Vapid, pretentious and
vile.... Then, of course, there is the symbol used on the logo
(the SS- Skull). The German goths I showed an old back issue to
in Berlin went ballistic when they saw it. Death in June at least
modifies it a little..... ;)

Actually, sometimes the photos are pretty. Beyond that purely
aesthetic feature, the rag is devoid of all substance.

--margaret

face iz white! eyes iz tired!

Mar 16, 1994, 2:56:14 PM3/16/94

In article <2m7m5p$l...@amhux3.amherst.edu>,

MARGARET SCOTT GATES <msg...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
>Propaganda is quite simply *trite*. The "articles" on
>"historical" subject matter are sometimes cute for
>a laugh, but more often than not are just annoying (WHAT was
>that Holy Spear & Hitler KaKa supposed to be...as dumb as
>it was the whole thing was plagerized from a loopy new age
>book called--guess what?-- Holy Spear...typically, no mention
>in the article as to where the thesis passed off as information
>came from).

actually, theres quite a lot of writing concerning hitler and his
quest for the spear of destiny and other occult objects in his
quest for power... someone posted a *huge* list of references on
the subject either here or on rec.music.industrial a while back...
prolly one of those all-consuming threads about death in june and
their supposed fascism and eurocentricism and all that.
unfortunately, this stuff has all contracted an association with
neo-nazism (as might be imagined). whats-his-face the editor guy
of propaganda has some sort of fixation with it and nazism in
general, which tends to make me sick.

>The interviews are The Worst. The last Shadow Project interview
>was a travesty...I think that Rene person was responsible for it.
>She used the interview not as an opportunity to explore a deeper
>or more personal side of the band, but rather to let us all know
>that Rozz was a long-time penpal. Like anyone reading it would care?

well, sometimes theyre useful, but most of the time theyre packed
with non-info in the same manner those interviews in teen mags
are about bev hills or whatever...

>And the poetry...that goes even beyond trite. Vapid, pretentious and
>vile.... Then, of course, there is the symbol used on the logo
>(the SS- Skull). The German goths I showed an old back issue to
>in Berlin went ballistic when they saw it. Death in June at least
>modifies it a little..... ;)

well, thats fred berger at it again. the man cant write for shit,
and theres that totenkopf-nazi fetisch of his showing up again.

>Actually, sometimes the photos are pretty. Beyond that purely
>aesthetic feature, the rag is devoid of all substance.

freds not the greatest photographer, and his subject matter is
*very* cliche, but they are pretty sometimes. we all know why most
goths buy propaganda anyhow... to cut out the piccies and hang them
on their walls :) come on, fess up :) but yes, devoid of all
substance. once more, PROPAGANDA IS TEEN BEAT FOR GOTHS.

but face it, while most of us prolly complain about it, we still
keep buying the stupid thing. or at least *someone* does. i mean,
heck, if *i* broke down a while back and bought an issue, it must
be selling pretty well among the less reluctant :)

lurve and fashion tips,

-joel

--
joel metz wa...@ucscb.ucsc.edu
-=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=- -=oOo=-

skepticle

Mar 16, 1994, 3:57:20 PM3/16/94
Is Propagand and Ghastly exactly the same stupid thing, or is it just
me?

Skepticle

# n.w...@emcb.cc.utah.edu #
# "I rise from death, I kill death and death kills me. #
# Although there is poison in my head, the antidote can#
# be found in my tail, which I bite with rage." #
# #
# -Curious Curios- #

William Corrigan

Mar 19, 1994, 9:36:09 PM3/19/94
As much as we all seem to hate it, does anyone have a subscription
address (and cost) for Propoganda?

Thomas Jelonek

Mar 20, 1994, 5:44:44 AM3/20/94

In article <2m7m5p$l...@amhux3.amherst.edu>, msg...@unix.amherst.edu (MARGARET SCOTT GATES) writes:

|> Propaganda is quite simply *trite*. The "articles" on
|> "historical" subject matter are sometimes cute for
|> a laugh, but more often than not are just annoying (WHAT was
|> that Holy Spear & Hitler KaKa supposed to be...as dumb as
|> it was the whole thing was plagerized from a loopy new age
|> book called--guess what?-- Holy Spear...typically, no mention
|> in the article as to where the thesis passed off as information
|> came from).

Well, the Holy Spear thing still comes in second place to their `ode' to Heinrich Himmler.

|> And the poetry...that goes even beyond trite. Vapid, pretentious and
|> vile.... Then, of course, there is the symbol used on the logo
|> (the SS- Skull). The German goths I showed an old back issue to
|> in Berlin went ballistic when they saw it. Death in June at least
|> modifies it a little..... ;)
|>
|> Actually, sometimes the photos are pretty. Beyond that purely
|> aesthetic feature, the rag is devoid of all substance.

I would disagree will you here. The photos are often silly, typically featuring some goth staring
forlornly at the camera. Actually the only substance to the magazine is the advertisements.

Thomas

lva...@hamp.hampshire.edu

Mar 21, 1994, 10:12:05 PM3/21/94
In Article <1994Mar21.1...@Virginia.EDU>
ss...@Virginia.EDU (Shawnee Sue Sequeira) writes:

>qas...@bbs.xnet.com writes:
>> As much as we all seem to hate it, does anyone have a subscription
>> address (and cost) for Propoganda?
>

>Ghastly is a Nosferatu Production (ahem, not the band), but I
>am not sure about Propaganda but I do believe that they are
>different. Ironically enough, both of the new issues have Dead
>Can Dance as the headlining article . . .
>
>shawnee

yes, Ghastly & Propaganda do seem to be getting more & more alike - at
least in appearance & interview subjects...but Ghastly is my favourite:
thicker paper, cheaper - $4.00 to Propaganda's $6.00, more pages - 50
to Propaganda's 48 (okay, not by much...). Ghastly always has lots of
art & fiction & poetry, which Propaganda is getting better on - except
that it's always by Fred (!) & Ghastly interviews others besides bands -
artists & writers, et al... & they tend to interview more obscure bands,
Propaganda may throw in a half-page or two for these...
& Ghastly also reviews zines & books which Prop. doesn't. & they're more
likely to publish any art/writings etc... you send them! the articles/
interviews are reader-friendly, not looking down their nose at you or
trying to prove themselves - they are usually good friends with their
subjects & seem to have actual fun *gasp* in the process. Ghastly is
big fun, never afeared to poke fun at themselves or the scene & they're
often quite tongue in cheek. i love 'em. blame that john koviak incident
on me.
so, subscription info:
Ghastly
c/o: Nosferatu Productions
P.O. Box 3535
Hollywood, CA 90078
$4 & $1 s&h
(tell em Lake sent ya, & give my love to Tara & Jeremy!)

Propaganda Magazine
P.O. Box 296
New Hyde Park, New York 11040
$6 ppd. add $1.75 for overseas
(tell them too that Lake sent ya, & more love for Fred & Scott!!)

happy reading...(!)
love love love, Lake

A. Dominy-Cusraque

Mar 21, 1994, 10:27:46 PM3/21/94

I despise Propaganda...
Someone used the word "trite",
& I Couldn't Agree More.
I think I Hate Propaganda more 4 What It Isn't
Than 4 What It Is...
I Hate that I Must Buy It 2 keep track of the Advertisers.
The People I Know who Advertise in Propaganda Hate It 2,
but the Numbers make It Necessary.
24,000 (!) is what I'm Told.
The Goth Scene deserves So Much Better...
Alot of the Smaller "zines" probably R Better,
but they can't Afford 2 Do the Things
they Need 2 Do 2 Attract the Advertisers.

I think that Goths should Look more at the Fetish Scene more...
Even if U aren't "into" it, it is the Closest Thing Available,
due 2 the Societal Abhorrance & the Like.
They do Such a Beautiful Job of Covering their Scene, Worldwide.
1/2 as much would B 10 times Better than Fred's Idiocy.

I like Ghastly Better, but it still falls Far 2 Short...

My Humble Thoughts on a Cooler Gothic Publication:

a Current Directory of Artists, Clothiers, Craftsmen,
Clubs, Bands, Record Labels, & Publications WORLDWIDE
in EVERY ISSUE... Just the Facts, NOT Reviews...

PLEASE find Better Photographers. I Know they Exist.

Cover More Artists...The Goth Scene has them.
Cover more Clothing Designers...Used Victoriana Falls Apart.

Sniff Out Cool Stuff 4 Me...So I Don't have 2 Work So Hard...
Screen the Fiction & Poetry MUCH MORE...Don't Waste My Time...

Don't try 2 Give Us what U Think We Want...Fred Berger is
No Goth..(I've Met the Fool)...

Look at Skin 2.... It has All these Things.
This Scene could B ALOT more "Respected" by Others
if It were covered better...
That would mean better Distribution 4 the Music,
more Cash 4 the Artists, & better Clubs 4 U...
24,000.
That Number Means It
Could B Done.

- A

{}{}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}~~Indeed,`{}{}{}{}{} {}``{} Wretched Design {}{}
{}`` This Face has `{}{}{}{}{}`{}{} A. Dominy-Cusraque {}{}
{}{}` been Burned by Tears. `{}``{} Praefectus {}{}
{}` My Lace is Tattered, ``{}{} Cusr...@Delphi.com {}{}
{}{}````{} & I am on Fire {} "Perveyors of {}{}{}{}
{}{}``{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} Elegant Nastiness" {}{}
{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} {}{}
{}

Shawnee Sue Sequeira

Mar 21, 1994, 10:50:30 AM3/21/94
qas...@bbs.xnet.com writes:
> As much as we all seem to hate it, does anyone have a subscription
> address (and cost) for Propoganda?

Glenn K!

Mar 22, 1994, 3:06:52 PM3/22/94
In article <Jm-tYz6....@delphi.com>

A. Dominy-Cusraque <cusr...@delphi.com> writes:

> I despise Propaganda...
> Someone used the word "trite",
> & I Couldn't Agree More.
> I think I Hate Propaganda more 4 What It Isn't
> Than 4 What It Is...
> I Hate that I Must Buy It 2 keep track of the Advertisers.
> The People I Know who Advertise in Propaganda Hate It 2,
> but the Numbers make It Necessary.
> 24,000 (!) is what I'm Told.
> The Goth Scene deserves So Much Better...
> Alot of the Smaller "zines" probably R Better,
> but they can't Afford 2 Do the Things
> they Need 2 Do 2 Attract the Advertisers.

But I'd be willing to wager that they spell their words out and write so
the text can be easily read.....

Glenn K!

<this is only space filler so my f-ing mailer will take the post instead of >
<telling me that it won't post because there are more quoted than original >
<lines. >
< >
<While I'm wasting space, I'll tell you all that the NET.GOTH t-shirts will >
<be finished printing in about a week. So you can expect them a little >
<later than that, according to your own mailer systems speed. >
< >
<Hey... how many goth points do I get for doing these shirts? >
<How many goth points do I get for having met and hung out with the members >
<of Electric Hellfire Club. I even got invited to their show the next >
<night. >
<Ah well, enough space wasted...............................................>

Petro

Mar 23, 1994, 1:19:42 AM3/23/94
Thomas Jelonek (tho...@McRCIM.McGill.EDU) wrote:

: In article <2m7m5p$l...@amhux3.amherst.edu>, msg...@unix.amherst.edu (MARGARET SCOTT GATES) writes:
: |>
: |> Actually, sometimes the photos are pretty. Beyond that purely

: |> aesthetic feature, the rag is devoid of all substance.

I would disagree will you here. The photos are often silly, typically featuring some goth staring
forlornly at the camera. Actually the only substance to the magazine is
the advertisements.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is scary.

Pe...@interaccess.com | A Strange Man handed me/ a badly witten Booklet
Pe...@artn.iit.edu | Telling me the Joys/ of living in Jesus Christ
(home of the phscologram) | He didn't look as happy/ as a small child
| Who had only a small red toy car
| And all the time in the World
| To play with it.

Jason D. Puckett

Mar 23, 1994, 9:50:04 AM3/23/94
C51...@mizzou1.missouri.edu (Glenn K!) writes:

>< >
><While I'm wasting space, I'll tell you all that the NET.GOTH t-shirts will >
><be finished printing in about a week. So you can expect them a little >
><later than that, according to your own mailer systems speed. >
>< >
><Hey... how many goth points do I get for doing these shirts? >

Mondo goth points to Glenn for doing the t-shirts! Give the man a
complimentary eyeliner and a rubber bat or something.