OT(?) rant childen beauty pageants

Lady Vader

Aug 27, 2001, 7:23:53 PM8/27/01
Today I watched on telly for the first time in a very long while.
Watched a documentary film on childen beauty pageants in USA. I almost
wanted to throw up.. Here in Sweden beauty pageants is considered as
something stupid, and most girls don't want to participate in such
activities and I'm one of them.

In the film the mothers were saying that it is no pressure on the
children but when I saw some mothers fighting over which one's child
is the most beautiful, when the children were looking at them. The
interviewer asked some girls what they wanted to do when they're
adult, they said that they wanted to model, being a actress or singer
or participate in beauty pageants, not very good goals for life.

And I think that the clothes are very ugly, they're giving me signals
of MAJOR BAD TASTE, the hair do's too... BIG puffy hairs. Ugly and
cheap as hell! *shudder* The girls smiles were very forced-looking.

And there's no boys in the pageants, only girls. Boys is allowed to
play soccer, play in the mud and such while the girls are playing with
Barbie dolls.

It makes me very angry that many gives weapons, action toys, cars and
such to boys and dolls, fashion items, pretty pink things to girls,
even without checking their interests. I worked as assistant in a
school and the teacher gave christmas presents to the pupils. The boys
got Star Wars coloring book and pencils, while the girls got Barbie
ditto. I saw that some of the girls were very disappointed and wanted
to have Star Wars instead of Barbie...

Oh, sorry for my rantings... :(
MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"Now, young Skywalker... You will die."
EMPEROR PALPATINE

Ruhiel

Aug 27, 2001, 10:44:56 PM8/27/01

Lady Vader wrote:

> Today I watched on telly for the first time in a very long while.
> Watched a documentary film on childen beauty pageants in USA. I almost
> wanted to throw up..

I'm totally against the whole "Kids Pageant" thing as well. I've made
the mistake of watching bits about it on TV before, and always regret
it. As does timly, because it usually ends with me screaming obscenities
at the telly. :)

> Here in Sweden beauty pageants is considered as
> something stupid, and most girls don't want to participate in such
> activities and I'm one of them.

More proof that Scandinavians are more culturally aware ;)

> In the film the mothers were saying that it is no pressure on the
> children but when I saw some mothers fighting over which one's child
> is the most beautiful, when the children were looking at them.

This is what gets me....
I don't think the majority of these mothers _really_ stop to think what
the whole thing is doing to their kid. I'm sure there are plenty of well
adjusted kids out there that have been through the process, but there
are SO many who will probably end up with body image issues, eating
disorders, etc.. Childhood is for being a CHILD. Not for your parent(s)
to live out their unrealized dreams through you. I can imagine how it is
for them at home. "No you can't climb that tree. You might break a nail
or a leg, and THEN where would you be?" Blech. I feel sorry for the
girls.

The
> interviewer asked some girls what they wanted to do when they're
> adult, they said that they wanted to model, being a actress or singer
> or participate in beauty pageants, not very good goals for life.

Or realistic...

> And I think that the clothes are very ugly, they're giving me signals
> of MAJOR BAD TASTE, the hair do's too... BIG puffy hairs. Ugly and
> cheap as hell! *shudder* The girls smiles were very forced-looking.

Oh, shit, do a search on Ebay for childs pageant costume or some such.
We're talking tacky.

> It makes me very angry that many gives weapons, action toys, cars and
> such to boys and dolls, fashion items, pretty pink things to girls,
> even without checking their interests.

No me ;) I give Isa trucks. She loves them. Blocks are a big hit as
well. The 130 piece Duplos get dumped out daily. Barbie is forbidden in
our house as far as she goes, but I still have my box of them that are
going up on Ebay soon. I avoid anything that's obviously gender
specific. I really don't want her to grow up as one of those "Eww,
worms" kind of girls. I was a tomboy all the way, and I loved it. Yes, I
had Barbies, but it was the 70's. We all had Barbies :) I'll stop now,
or it will turn into a way Feminist "Down With The Patriarchy" type
rant.

--
Ruhiel -
http://ruhiel.noom.com

Ruhiel

Aug 27, 2001, 11:16:56 PM8/27/01

Ruhiel wrote:

> Oh, shit, do a search on Ebay for childs pageant costume or some such.

For the morbidly curious, here are a few of the humdingers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1629748265
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1628688911
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1630515564
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631212689
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631220020

Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works of
Shakespeare. Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes.

ninja!

Aug 27, 2001, 11:45:38 PM8/27/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:44:56 GMT, Ruhiel <ruh...@mediaone.net>
wrote:

>Oh, shit, do a search on Ebay for childs pageant costume or some such.
>We're talking tacky.

good god. i just looked at the urls you pasted. it just makes
me sad. i mean, i LOVED playing dress-up when i was little,
but it was a *game*. it was make-believe, it wasn't cutthroat
competition. and no one was telling me how i should look, or
putting me on display, or teaching me only to care about what
other people thought of my looks.

what makes me really ill is this:
I'll be walking through a girl's clothing department in the
mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!

> I'll stop now, or it will turn into a way Feminist "Down With The Patriarchy" type
>rant.

...and that's a bad thing? :D

--
beth aka ninja! aka greensea
the same rule always applies / smile pretty & watch your back

Lauren

Aug 28, 2001, 12:09:32 AM8/28/01
>For the morbidly curious, here are a few of the humdingers:

<snip>

Oh jesus. They look like gobs of petrified cake frosting. Yikes.

I have a little inside info to offer on child beauty pageants - no, I was never
in them (thank god!), but my mother styled hair for them.

I don't see how these pageants can help a child at all, except perhaps to help
them feel comfortable in front of a crowd. Otherwise, they offer no benefits.

Some of these mothers spend thousands and thousands on dresses - all money
which would be infinitely more useful if put in a college fund for the child.
The prizes for the pageants usually do not exceed more than $1000, not even
half what most of these mothers have spent.

The girls in these pageants a covered in hairspray - literally from head to
toe. That was one of the most disturbing parts of the pageants to me. To keep
everything perfectly in place, they were *drenched* in hair spray. Disgusting.

As to the original thread:
Boys are subjected to beauty pageants as well. The boys wear makeup and
extremely ugly clothes as well. They are just as apt to be screamed at by their
parents as the girls.

The parents of these children are crazy. I mean, really crazy. They act like
slave drives if they think they have to.

I feel really badly for these kids, because most of them just want to play and
have fun, and they can't do that, because, as said before, they may break a
nail or something. It's unhealthy.

Lauren
"God undoubtedly loves kittens, but not, in all probability, with Technicolor
bootees on their paws."

Ruhiel

Aug 28, 2001, 12:20:28 AM8/28/01

"ninja!" wrote:

> competition. and no one was telling me how i should look, or
> putting me on display, or teaching me only to care about what
> other people thought of my looks.

Bingo.

> mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
> PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
> pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
> say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
> sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
> pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!

Not to mention, it's terribly uncomfortable. Hell, I rarely ever put Isa
in *jeans* because they're just no fun to try and move freely in. Skirts
with little pants and cotton leggings are where it's at when you're an
active 2 year old.

And yes, my rant COULD be bad if you get me going. Ask timly. He has to
live with me ;)

USENET: Post to exotic, distant machines. Meet exciting, unusual
people. And flame them.

Heidi Evans

Aug 28, 2001, 12:36:46 AM8/28/01
Lady Vader wrote in message <3b8ad323...@news.telia.net>...

>even without checking their interests. I worked as assistant in a
>school and the teacher gave christmas presents to the pupils. The boys
>got Star Wars coloring book and pencils, while the girls got Barbie
>ditto. I saw that some of the girls were very disappointed and wanted
>to have Star Wars instead of Barbie...

Yeah, my mom actually got called in an bitched at by the school faculty for
giving me the chemistry set I wanted instead of a doll that I would have
scientifically dissected and thrown out if I did anything with it at all.
Said she was trying to force me to be a boy, simply *could not* comprehend
that I never liked dolls and was only interested in educational toys.
Blech. Stupid rightwing redneck assholes.

--
New! Scented Soap! Updates 7/30/01
http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

Saturn

Aug 28, 2001, 1:12:36 AM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:16:56 GMT, Ruhiel <ruh...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631212689

Eeeeeeew! Is this one backless? eeeeeeew eeeeeeew eeeeeeeeeeeew!

can you say narsty?

M.

Lady Vader

Aug 28, 2001, 2:10:44 AM8/28/01
>Oh jesus. They look like gobs of petrified cake frosting. Yikes.

Really! Even if I'm a little kid I wouldn't want to wear such clothes.
Then I'd rather to have Superman costumes but it was what I did,
almost everyday until I was 9! *lol* And I didn't want to be
Supergirl, only Superman.... I don't know why.
But if I had to enter a talent pageant or something like that wearing
my costume, then it's destroying the fun part of dressing up
myself....

>I don't see how these pageants can help a child at all, except perhaps to help
>them feel comfortable in front of a crowd. Otherwise, they offer no benefits.

True. I've also thought of that myself. Being comfortable in front of
crowds is a good thing, but the others? Not likely.

>Some of these mothers spend thousands and thousands on dresses - all money
>which would be infinitely more useful if put in a college fund for the child.
>The prizes for the pageants usually do not exceed more than $1000, not even
>half what most of these mothers have spent.

Yeah, and in that film they've said that the dresses are very
expensive, like hundreds to thousands of dollars! YIKES! These ugly
dresses are actually expensive. One of the mothers, she said that she
had to get an extra job to be able to pay all the stuff... Poor kid,
it is not good to being too important, to lose one's childhood...

>The girls in these pageants a covered in hairspray - literally from head to
>toe. That was one of the most disturbing parts of the pageants to me. To keep
>everything perfectly in place, they were *drenched* in hair spray. Disgusting.

Yeah. And their hair are VERY big, very unrealistic big for the poor
kids. They can't play or something...
some kids even have to wear tooth frames (or something like that) to
cover their teeths! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!!!!!

>As to the original thread:
>Boys are subjected to beauty pageants as well. The boys wear makeup and
>extremely ugly clothes as well. They are just as apt to be screamed at by their
>parents as the girls.

But it is not as popular as the girl's pageants, but it does exist...
poor kids... and there's baby beauty pageants for kids so young that
they can't even walk...

Oh.

MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"At last we will reveal ourselves."
DARTH MAUL

Lady Vader

Aug 28, 2001, 1:57:31 AM8/28/01
>I'm totally against the whole "Kids Pageant" thing as well. I've made
>the mistake of watching bits about it on TV before, and always regret
>it. As does timly, because it usually ends with me screaming obscenities
>at the telly. :)

*lol* Like me then....

>> Here in Sweden beauty pageants is considered as
>> something stupid, and most girls don't want to participate in such
>> activities and I'm one of them.
>
>More proof that Scandinavians are more culturally aware ;)

There's a lot of girls wanting being on pageants for sure but at least
my friends and most of the girls in my old schools thought like me,
that pageants are something stupid and nerdy. To add to this, in
Sweden there's a tradition the 13th of december to celebrate the saint
Lucia day, with the school's most beautiful (or school's best singer)
as the Lucia. While there's some girls wanting to be Lucia the most
think that it is something nerdy to being a Lucia, so cliché
stereotype figure of beautiful blonde and blue-eyed girl singing like
dream... *yawn* (a bit ironically that Saint Lucia were an Italian
girl, and mostly Italians are dark haired and brown-eyed...)

>This is what gets me....
>I don't think the majority of these mothers _really_ stop to think what
>the whole thing is doing to their kid. I'm sure there are plenty of well
>adjusted kids out there that have been through the process, but there
>are SO many who will probably end up with body image issues, eating
>disorders, etc.. Childhood is for being a CHILD. Not for your parent(s)
>to live out their unrealized dreams through you. I can imagine how it is
>for them at home. "No you can't climb that tree. You might break a nail
>or a leg, and THEN where would you be?" Blech. I feel sorry for the
>girls.

VERY TRUE!!!!
One of the mothers in the film did said that she wasn't any particular
beautiful when she were a little child so she wanted her daughter to
participate in pageants just because she's soo beautiful..

> The
>> interviewer asked some girls what they wanted to do when they're
>> adult, they said that they wanted to model, being a actress or singer
>> or participate in beauty pageants, not very good goals for life.
>

>Or realistic...

No way. Ok, I wanted to become a super hero (like Superman) when I was
a little kid but I understood that it is a impossible thing. Poor the
girls in pageants since they're getting wrong picture of the life,
feeding of their fantasies....

>> And I think that the clothes are very ugly, they're giving me signals
>> of MAJOR BAD TASTE, the hair do's too... BIG puffy hairs. Ugly and
>> cheap as hell! *shudder* The girls smiles were very forced-looking.
>

>Oh, shit, do a search on Ebay for childs pageant costume or some such.
>We're talking tacky.

Yeah, very very tacky. Ok I like tacky things but there's negative
tackiness and this is one of them.
I've noticed that the most, if not all, of the dresses are of cold
colors like white, pink, light blue, pastel lilac and often the girls
have very blonde hair or dark hair. No earth colors like green,
orange, warm yellow, brown as far as I could see. And no red-heads
either. This add some points to the tackiness score. 80's in a bad
way.

>No me ;) I give Isa trucks. She loves them. Blocks are a big hit as
>well. The 130 piece Duplos get dumped out daily. Barbie is forbidden in
>our house as far as she goes, but I still have my box of them that are
>going up on Ebay soon. I avoid anything that's obviously gender
>specific. I really don't want her to grow up as one of those "Eww,
>worms" kind of girls. I was a tomboy all the way, and I loved it. Yes, I
>had Barbies, but it was the 70's. We all had Barbies :)

lol! I was also a tomboy kind of girl, and thankfully enogh the most
of the girls in the junior level of the school also were tomboys. Ok
we had My Little Ponies but the boys also had them and we played
together :) Otherwise we often play role-playing like of games,
playing on Commodore 64's (the most popular computer then) and such.

I've noticed that there's a lot more gender-specific toys today than
15-25 years ago. Very saddening. Just look at Lego! Back then there's
no such things as Lego Scala (like a merge of Lego and Barbie)...
McDonald's even started to have 2 different Happy Meals, one for boys
and one for girls... Most recently: Action Man to boys and Betty
Spaghetty-dolls to girls... Ok, McD is evil but anyway.
MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"Wipe them out... All of them."
DARTH SIDIOUS

Lady Vader

Aug 28, 2001, 2:18:15 AM8/28/01
>what makes me really ill is this:
>I'll be walking through a girl's clothing department in the
>mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
>PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
>pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
>say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
>sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
>pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!

I've seen black lacy "bra" and panties available for pre-teen girls
without bust, available in shops here. It is very stupid....

And I don't like it that very young girls have to wear "bras" when
they're bathing or something like that.... They don't even have
breasts, so why use the upper part of the bikini? And specially when
it is designed in adult style... 5 year old girls are as flat chested
as their boy friends in same age so there's nothing to hide...

MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"All too easy"
DARTH VADER

Patchouli

Aug 28, 2001, 2:31:28 AM8/28/01
Lauren wrote:

<< I feel really badly for these kids, because most of them just want to play
and
have fun, and they can't do that, because, as said before, they may break a
nail or something. It's unhealthy. >>

I too have watched a teevee special on this exploitation of youth... the
mothers were all overweight, miserable-looking middle-aged women proudly
claiming in thick Southern accents that their child was prettiest and most
talented- since when is doing what you're told called "talent"?

At the end of the show, when the contest was over, the interviewer asked one
particular mother [whose child had not won] if she would enter her child in the
competition next year. "No." she said quite indignantly "[child's name] should
have won, so we won't be back next year." What a sore loser!

And they show the little girls backstage, their 2' tall hair being fussed over
by mothers and stylists, when all the poor kids want to do is eat a friggin'
cupcake from the refreshment tray. I guess it's a good way for little girls to
meet friends, but how easy is it to be friends with someone if you're told you
must be better than them to win? Do 6-year-olds really understand competition
beyond Chutes 'n' Ladders?

Child beauty pageants are just wrong, and I predict that in the next 100 years
they will be outlawed.

~Patchouli
New ebay stuff as of 8/28: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shoe*strumpet/
"If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we leave him there?"
-Ranting Swede

FToughteddy

Aug 28, 2001, 4:26:41 AM8/28/01
>Subject: OT(?) rant childen beauty pageants
>From: lady....@galacticempire.net (Lady Vader)
>Date: 28-8-01 0:23 GMT Daylight Time

Heheh my parents got me the same toys as my brother when I was a kid, mini
monster trucks and the like... My auntie once gave me a doll, but I gave it a
Mr. T haircut, dyed the remaining hair purple with chalk dust, and played
action man with it and the monster trucks in the sandpit...
Donnla.

Uadjit

Aug 28, 2001, 6:45:29 AM8/28/01
lady....@galacticempire.net (Lady Vader) wrote:

> Today I watched on telly for the first time in a very long while.
> Watched a documentary film on childen beauty pageants in USA. I almost
> wanted to throw up..

<snip>

Yup. I'm with you there. Child beauty pageants are sad.

I truly believe that they don't give a crap about the way it affects
the budding minds of their sons and daughters. It's almost like these
parents are showing their children like dogs at Westminster. ie "Look
how well she's bred."

The problems with this kind of pageant are many: from the disturbing
sexualization of young children and the upsetting prospect of
over-competitive attitudes instilled at a young age to
appearance-fixation and dependence, to very distressing self-worth
problems. Imagine how a child feels when they lose a pageant and feel
the blame from their mother, even when they tried as hard as they
could to bring home that tiara.

Disgusting.

Uadjit

cat

Aug 28, 2001, 10:26:06 AM8/28/01
I agree with you. Bad taste galore. Those children couldn't care less, but
they're pushed and pushed by their mothers, who almost always had fame and
success frustrated dreams themselves and project it on their kids. Makeup
and hairspray on little children...just how grotesque is that. My little
girl is 8 months old and, admittedly, quite cute (where she got it from is
beyond me...). We often get stopped in the street by people paying her
compliments and suggesting we should get her to do modelling. Over our dead
bodies!
My mum used to work for Wella and when we were in Italy she had to
co-ordinate the Wella sponsoship for the Miss Italy pageant. She was shocked
to see how the mothers would literally throw their daughters at judges and
anybody remotely connected with the TV or movie industry, some of them
admitting they had been trying to get their girls in the limelight since
they were little.
Oh, and speaking about American kids' pageants... ever heard of JonBenet
Ramsey?!!

Meow,
xx cat

"Lady Vader" <lady....@galacticempire.net> wrote in message

Jozafeen

Aug 28, 2001, 12:56:02 PM8/28/01

> >what makes me really ill is this:
> >I'll be walking through a girl's clothing department in the
> >mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
> >PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
> >pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
> >say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
> >sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
> >pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!
>
> I've seen black lacy "bra" and panties available for pre-teen girls
> without bust, available in shops here. It is very stupid....

I think this is a really distressing trend - my neighbours 5 year old has a
'sexy bitch' slogan vest - what message is that sending out?

In the UK most chainstores and children's clothes shops have introduced
their own ranges of make up for kiddies which is terrible. It not only
'sexualizes' them, I also think about long term damage they may be doing to
their skin. The same ranges don't seem to have cleansing and skin care
products! I think I'm still wrinkle-free and young looking at 36 due to the
fact I didn't wear make up unless it was a very special occasion until I was
16.

Okay, rant finished!

Joza

Narcissa

Aug 28, 2001, 2:55:12 PM8/28/01
lady....@galacticempire.net (Lady Vader) wrote in message news:<3b8ad323...@news.telia.net>...

First, let me say that I find pageants for children to be sick and
twisted. Bad taste doesn't even come into it. It's all about women
who never made anything out of themselves pouring all their cash into
their pretty little progeny (and ignoring her siblings) while living
vicariously through the girls. It sexualizes pre-pubescent girls and
all that stage mother pressure can't be good for their mental health.
That said..

> The interviewer asked some girls what they wanted to do when they're
> adult, they said that they wanted to model, being a actress or singer
> or participate in beauty pageants, not very good goals for life.

Er, why do you say that being a model, actress or singer are "not very
good goals"? They may not be *your* ideal goals, but look around.
Plenty of people do that kind of work and make loads of money at it.
Many more do this type of work (especially singing and acting) and
think of it as an art form. And let's look at Diane Sawyer, Cybill
Shepard (sp?) and Vanessa Williams. Nah, being in pageants was a very
poor career choice for them...

> And there's no boys in the pageants, only girls. Boys is allowed to
> play soccer, play in the mud and such while the girls are playing with
> Barbie dolls.

This is not true. There are places for young boys in these pageants.
I just saw a documentary on them on HBO, and boys were featured. They
just aren't pushed as hard as the girls.

Also, gender assignment through toys and colors and types of play are
not directly a result of pageants. That's a whole different
discussion!

I enjoy a good rant, but let's be reasonable here.

Narcissa

(I like Barbies better than the mud, myself.)

ninja!

Aug 28, 2001, 3:01:03 PM8/28/01
On 28 Aug 2001 11:55:12 -0700, ale...@narcissa.com (Narcissa)
wrote:

>(I like Barbies better than the mud, myself.)

and I definitely like the Morticia and Lily Munster Barbies.
because hey... now there's a healthy dose of irony.
=)

Lauren

Aug 28, 2001, 8:23:37 PM8/28/01
>Yeah. And their hair are VERY big, very unrealistic big for the poor
>kids. They can't play or something...
>some kids even have to wear tooth frames (or something like that) to
>cover their teeths! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, the girls even have their hair bleached or dyed - having bleach in
*my* hair can be traumatic at times. I can't imagine what it would be like if I
were five.

I remember one lady who's daughter was like, 16 months or there abouts; she
used lemon juice to make her kids hair lighter, and on top pf that put
extensions in! The kid couldn't even hold her friggin head up!!

> and there's baby beauty pageants for kids so young that
>they can't even walk...

Yep. And they babies are just as abused as the older kids. Mothers will
actually put *full* makeup on a baby. *Mascara* for chrissakes! On the bottle
of my foundation it says "Not to be used on children under 2 years old." I
wouldn't use on a kid under 13 years old, personally, but, I guess the kids'
mothers' don't care about health and safety when it comes to winning that
trophy.

just julia

Aug 29, 2001, 2:47:26 PM8/29/01
Ruhiel <ruh...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> I give Isa trucks. She loves them. Blocks are a big hit as
> well. The 130 piece Duplos get dumped out daily. Barbie is forbidden in
> our house as far as she goes, but I still have my box of them that are
> going up on Ebay soon. I avoid anything that's obviously gender
> specific. I really don't want her to grow up as one of those "Eww,
> worms" kind of girls. I was a tomboy all the way, and I loved it. Yes, I
> had Barbies, but it was the 70's. We all had Barbies :) I'll stop now,
> or it will turn into a way Feminist "Down With The Patriarchy" type
> rant.

Woo trucks. Don't forget the "Free to Be You and Me" tape/CD. Legos
and erector (giggle) sets. I can not begin to state how much I loved
legos as a child (and an adult).

My mom tried to keep barbies out of the house because she thought they
were pointless, silly toys (she never had them or liked them).
However, I adored barbies and made her buy them for me on garage sales
(great way to get them cheap). I had scads that went on all kinds of
adventures.

I was a big tomboy who loved dresses. I loved to put on frilly chiffony
dresses and dig holes in the ground, play in the mud and chase people
around the block. My mom cleverly bought me cheap foufy dresses on
garage sales for me to wear as play clothes. Apparently, this
disturbed many local parents, but I was happy doing tomboy things in
frilly girly clothes.

Also, there are lots of really cool dolls. There are a set of barbie
like dolls which all have cool careers (and more normal looking
bodies), and lots of nice soft dolls that aren't baby training devices
or fashion dolls.

www.medianstrip.net/~julia = unusual suspects

just julia

Aug 29, 2001, 2:49:24 PM8/29/01
Lady Vader <lady....@galacticempire.net> wrote:
>>Oh jesus. They look like gobs of petrified cake frosting. Yikes.

> Really! Even if I'm a little kid I wouldn't want to wear such clothes.
> Then I'd rather to have Superman costumes but it was what I did,
> almost everyday until I was 9! *lol* And I didn't want to be
> Supergirl, only Superman.... I don't know why.

I wanted to be Supergirl so bad. Also, Wonder Woman. I found a pair
of cheap white vinyl go go boots once and they became my official
superhero boots. For some reason, I decided that wearing these with an
knee long sweat shirt was clearly a super hero costume.

Sparky

Aug 29, 2001, 4:29:00 PM8/29/01

> Woo trucks. Don't forget the "Free to Be You and Me" tape/CD.

Or RECORD [1], if you're really old, like me. :)

Sparky

[1] Records are flat plastic things with grooves in them. After tea, you
go to the drawing room and put the "record" on a spinny thing in a
cabinet that has a big horn sticking out of it. There's also a handle --
you have to crank this contraption up first. Then you (and your spinster
sisters, Lavinia, Farfalla and Petunia) can dance while the maid puts
away the tea things. It's jolly good fun!

Christina L Sawyer

Aug 29, 2001, 5:32:09 PM8/29/01
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic.fashion: 29-Aug-101 Re: OT(?) rant
childen beau.. by just ju...@vinegar.eecs.
> Woo trucks. Don't forget the "Free to Be You and Me" tape/CD. Legos
> and erector (giggle) sets. I can not begin to state how much I loved
> legos as a child (and an adult).

Hells yeah! I played with Legos last Saturday with a bunch of friends. heh.

> Also, there are lots of really cool dolls. There are a set of barbie
> like dolls which all have cool careers (and more normal looking
> bodies), and lots of nice soft dolls that aren't baby training devices
> or fashion dolls.

I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
reason I dress the way I do now. (And inspired my love of synthpop, too,
I think). My favorite doll had purple hair, which was perfectly normal
for them, and therefore perfectly normal for me as a child. I still get
mildly taken aback when people suggest that my hair isn't normal,
despite the logical part of my brain which knows it's not. It's just
ingrained so deeply that weird colors are normal. I also really loved
Jem dolls because of their proportions. Small breasts, not the littlest
waist in the world, etc. It made me feel a little better when I grew up
and looked more like them than Barbie. :) I saw some dolls very recently
that reminded me of them, but for the life of me I can't remember what
they were called. Very rawk star like. :)

Christy
--
http://www.spookee.net
"Art is all fun and games until someone loses an ear".

ninja!

Aug 29, 2001, 6:09:14 PM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:29:00 -0700, Sparky <ph...@phobe.com>
wrote:

>> Woo trucks. Don't forget the "Free to Be You and Me" tape/CD.
>
>Or RECORD [1], if you're really old, like me. :)

hey, I had the record too. =) it was my favorite.

I actually bought it on cd as well a few years ago. Sort of
stockpiling for the "if I ever spawn" thing... eep. it was
only 11.99 too. my mom & I had a big old trip down memory lane
listening to it.

a doll, a doll, william wants a do-oll!

(and my mom wonders why I turned out like this...)

Angulique

Aug 29, 2001, 6:17:03 PM8/29/01
>Hells yeah! I played with Legos last Saturday with a bunch of friends. heh.

>I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the

>reason I dress the way I do now.

Yay, Legos! My boi and I have tons of Legos and Playmobil shtuff! Our room is
stacked full of Legos, Playmobil, GI Joes, Barbies and my ever favorite My
Little Ponies! I was also a tomboy as a child. I had Barbies, though, but no
Kens; they weren't good enough for me. My barbie had to have GI Joe so she
could wear his clothes and run around in his boots! Whoo! I think My Little
Ponies made me the way I am today. I always tell my parents that; I'm like,
"You know, you gave me toys with rainbow colored hair big tats on their asses;
what were you expecting?"

Love,
Ange
- Owner, Deviance Designs -
Latex Wings, Gothic Jewelry, and Life Size Corpses and Skeletons
http://www.angelfire.com/goth/deviance
- My LiveJournal -
http://www.livejournal.com/~angulique/

looz

Aug 29, 2001, 6:31:39 PM8/29/01

"ninja!" wrote:

> I actually bought it on cd as well a few years ago. Sort of
> stockpiling for the "if I ever spawn" thing... eep. it was
> only 11.99 too. my mom & I had a big old trip down memory lane
> listening to it.
>
> a doll, a doll, william wants a do-oll!
>
> (and my mom wonders why I turned out like this...)

I too picked up the cd a couple years ago, but when I told my mom, she
just laughed at me.

Gotta love my mom (and I do.. if you can't laugh at your family, who
_can_ you laugh at?)

looz

Patchouli

Aug 29, 2001, 6:34:34 PM8/29/01
Sparky wrote:

<< [1] Records are flat plastic things with grooves in them. After tea, you
go to the drawing room and put the "record" on a spinny thing in a
cabinet that has a big horn sticking out of it. There's also a handle --
you have to crank this contraption up first. Then you (and your spinster
sisters, Lavinia, Farfalla and Petunia) can dance while the maid puts
away the tea things. It's jolly good fun!

LOL. I had a garage sale last Saturday, and I dragged my vinyls & turntable
down so I could have something to listen to while watching people with fanny
packs coming to take away all my trash. Many of them marvelled that records
are still played, much less still made, and that I was playing one of Bob
Dylan's.

Someday I would like to own a gramaphone, just for sheer theatrical value.

~Patchouli, who prefers vinyl anyway because it's harder to lose.

Marieke

Aug 29, 2001, 7:04:50 PM8/29/01

"Lady Vader" wrote:

> Yeah, and in that film they've said that the dresses are very
> expensive, like hundreds to thousands of dollars! YIKES! These ugly
> dresses are actually expensive. One of the mothers, she said that she
> had to get an extra job to be able to pay all the stuff... Poor kid,
> it is not good to being too important, to lose one's childhood...

Imagine the possible emotional blackmail one day when the kid isn't suitably
grateful for being put through this torture... "I worked *two* jobs for you
to be able to participate in those shows... yadda yadda"

*shudder*

Marieke

revolution 9

Aug 29, 2001, 8:18:56 PM8/29/01

ninja! <ni...@velvet.LALALA.net> wrote
[snip]

> what makes me really ill is this:
> I'll be walking through a girl's clothing department in the
> mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
> PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
> pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
> say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
> sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
> pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!
[snip]

agreed. i saw padded bras in the little kids section at the shops recently,
i mean WTF have they got to pad?? i nearly died, i have also seen knee high
heeled boots for little girls i think they are atrocious, they look like
little tramps you cant help but to feel sorry for the kids and wonder about
the state of mind of the parent
-emma

"These days, the only time politicians are telling the truth is when they
are calling each other a liar"
- Alfred E. Neuman
http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~laeta/

lothien

Aug 29, 2001, 8:52:31 PM8/29/01
Ruhiel <ruh...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631212689
>
> Eeeeeeew! Is this one backless? eeeeeeew eeeeeeew eeeeeeeeeeeew!
>
> can you say narsty?
>
> M.

indeed...
let's be glad that it closed without a single bid.

lothien

ancilla sea-maid

Aug 29, 2001, 9:21:30 PM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Christina L Sawyer wrote:

> I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
> reason I dress the way I do now. (And inspired my love of synthpop, too,
> I think). My favorite doll had purple hair, which was perfectly normal
> for them, and therefore perfectly normal for me as a child. I still get

woo! are you referring to the Synergy doll? Her body was purple too, and
she was part of some machine that the Jem girls went to for advice or
something.....bleh, it's time for me to go do a google search because it's
been way too long for me to remember the show very well. i wonder how many
of us g0th kids the Jem show had an effect on?

i recently went up to my old room to find something. it's now my lil
sister's room and i found her playing with that doll, and another one that
had a metallic pink body and sparkly pink hair. it was great! i'm glad i
left all that stuff in the room for her to find.

~tamara
* www.halos-drift.net *
"i'd love to go drowning,
and to stay and to stay,
but the ocean doesn't want me today"-tom.waits

Seraphim Crying

Aug 29, 2001, 9:55:35 PM8/29/01
Christina L. Sawyer wrote:

>> I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
>> reason I dress the way I do now. (And inspired my love of synthpop, too,
>> I think)

C'mon, everything you need to know about loving Jem is right in the theme song.

1- Jem is excitement.
2- Jem is adventure.
3- Glamour and glitter.
4- Fashion and fame!

Jem is, was, and always will be truly, Truly, TRULY outrageous! I had a purple
Jem lunchbox in kindergarten, [1] and I used to make my Jem dolls tour with
Barbie and the Rockers in their van. (Who was opening for whom, I wonder?)

>. i wonder how many
>of us g0th kids the Jem show had an effect on?

Well, let me say this much: I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first
time when I was just seven years old. Next thing you know I put Jem's heels on
a Ken doll, (her feet were waay bigger than Barbie's, and flat) and somehow
attached Barbie's head to Ken's body, and put this red sparkly Jessica Rabbit
type dress on Ken. I showed my dad and said "Hey look...Transvestite
Barbie...or is it Ken?" He still cracks up and tells that story to people.

> recently went up to my old room to find something. it's now my lil
>sister's room and i found her playing with that doll, and another one that
>had a metallic pink body and sparkly pink hair.

I remember that pink doll! I had one too, she had some weird name and was
supposed to be from another planet or something. Weird Barbie/Jem hybrid.

[1] Frighteningly enough, I've seen this same lunchbox in yellow going for at
least $60 in vintage toystores. Damn I'm old.

always mesh and lace,
The Anti-Fashion Diva-in-Waiting
"The scene's never what it used to be." -M.C.
http://www.geocities.com/seraphimcrying/

Courtney

Aug 29, 2001, 11:19:54 PM8/29/01
In article <20010829181703...@mb-mk.aol.com>,
angu...@aol.comeow says...

> >I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
> >reason I dress the way I do now.

I think I had a Jem lunchbox, but I miss Strawberry Shortcake... I had
at least one of the scented plastic dolls and the most kickass
Strawberry Shortcake sheets. I also had the Strawberry Shortcake "mold"
for my little toy thing - it came with a metal frame, and these coloured
plastic little peices you put into the frame and then put into the oven.
When you pulled it out and let it cool, you had this spiffy coloured
"sun catcher" thingie - I would just always toss the plastic bits in the
mold without sorting them... It was much prettier to have rainbow
coloured suncatchers, I thought.

I also had some doll with long green hair I loved - maybe it was like
She-ra's helper or something? It was a tiny plastic thing, and she was
in one of those lame Xena type outfits (sorry Xena fans). I *think* it
was a cartoon of some sort, but I always used it and her blond haired
friend in the 3 story dollhouse I had.

And how I loved my Rainbow Bright trashcan. For some reason, tho, I
always hated the Cabbage Patch dolls. Care Bears I tolerated more, but
only liked a very very few of them.

Courtney

Kar

Aug 29, 2001, 11:38:01 PM8/29/01
just julia wrote:

>Lady Vader <lady....@galacticempire.net> wrote:
>>>Oh jesus. They look like gobs of petrified cake frosting. Yikes.
>
>> Really! Even if I'm a little kid I wouldn't want to wear such clothes.
>> Then I'd rather to have Superman costumes but it was what I did,
>> almost everyday until I was 9! *lol* And I didn't want to be
>> Supergirl, only Superman.... I don't know why.
>
>I wanted to be Supergirl so bad. Also, Wonder Woman. I found a pair
>of cheap white vinyl go go boots once and they became my official
>superhero boots. For some reason, I decided that wearing these with an
>knee long sweat shirt was clearly a super hero costume.

..and I wanted to be the Amazing Spider-Man.
I can clearly remember asking my mom to buy me the
BOYS' Spider-man UnderoosŽ so I could have a 'proper'
costume for fighting crime in.
My cheapo plastic Halloween mask and red footy pyjamas
weren't radioactive enough! But I never got any. *pout*
(hmm. spiders. Early signs of fashion leanings there, or what?)
Oh, and my "webs" were actually my mother's black
nylon hairnets. :)

Chiming in on some other nostalgia topics raised:
Had 'Free to be you and me', on record. Mel Brooks, baby!!
As a youngun I played with:
Legos, Construx, Matchbox cars, Barbies, Tea sets,
and bows-and-arrows, sometimes several at once o_O
... And often while clad in 'dress-up' gear:
Ridiculously frouffy pageant fugitive-esque dresses,
hats, mismatched costume jewelry, and, my favorite
handbag that went everywhere with me until I was 8 or 9.
It was clear plastic and shoebox sized, with 2 handles
and opened down the center with a shell-shaped clasp.
You couldn't see through it though because the sides had
gold glitter and beads, and seashells and silk flowers encased in them.
Total 70's grandma-chic!

Kar, enjoying this twist in the thread.
"In America - as elsewhere -
free speech is confined to the dead." - Mark Twain

Lady Vader

Aug 29, 2001, 11:43:41 PM8/29/01
>agreed. i saw padded bras in the little kids section at the shops recently,
>i mean WTF have they got to pad?? i nearly died, i have also seen knee high
>heeled boots for little girls i think they are atrocious, they look like
>little tramps you cant help but to feel sorry for the kids and wonder about
>the state of mind of the parent

Yes, it is sad!
I've seen very young girls, like 3-4 year olds, wearing high platform
sandals, they've had hard time running and playing with their pals....
Poor girls.

MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
DARTH VADER

Lady Vader

Aug 29, 2001, 11:41:32 PM8/29/01
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631212689
>>
>> Eeeeeeew! Is this one backless? eeeeeeew eeeeeeew eeeeeeeeeeeew!
>>
>> can you say narsty?
>let's be glad that it closed without a single bid.

LOL! I must say that I was very surprised when I saw this dress, it is
almost exactly like as one of the girl's dress in that TV program!
Maybe a little bit lighter in color, but otherwise same dress!!!

It also put me off that it is backless.

Lady Vader

Aug 29, 2001, 11:55:38 PM8/29/01
>Ponies made me the way I am today. I always tell my parents that; I'm like,
>"You know, you gave me toys with rainbow colored hair big tats on their asses;
>what were you expecting?"

*lol*!! You're soo right ;-)

I've just made my first pony falls, as a birthday present to my little
sister. Her natural hair color is blonde so I've made it with blonde
base, with black and red streaks in it. I could'nt find yaky hair
stuff anywhere here, so I bought kanekalon jumbo braid hair instead,
but I've ironed the hair on low heat setting, and they've turned out
very nice, exactly like My Little Pony's hair! Guess I've been lucky.

Now I'm searching for jumbo braid of different green colors. So far
I've found very bright neon-like green and neutral forest green. So
far I haven't found any dark green, but I'm still searching.
I'm planning on buying a green simple wig with Bettie Page style of
bangs, and attach these hair to the wig. Anyone here done something
like that and want to discuss and part tips to me? I've thoughting of
ironing these green hair, and then curl them someway to get corkscrew
curls. I'm still trying out the best method to curl the hair.

MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"All too easy"
DARTH VADER

meggie

Aug 30, 2001, 12:11:23 AM8/30/01
Lady Vader said:
>It also put me off that it is backless.

i had backless dresses when i was in dance class in first grade.... my mother
wasn't a crazy lady who wanted to live her dreams through me, i just wanted to
dance.

and now that i think about it, that purple dress looks like my best friend's
ballet dress from the same time.

~megan~
aim-xxmeffiexx
open up your heart let me slip inside

Marieke

Aug 30, 2001, 12:28:25 AM8/30/01

"Uadjit" wrote:

> Lady Vader wrote:
>
> > Today I watched on telly for the first time in a very long while.
> > Watched a documentary film on childen beauty pageants in USA. I almost
> > wanted to throw up..
>
> <snip>
>
> The problems with this kind of pageant are many: from the disturbing
> sexualization of young children and the upsetting prospect of
> over-competitive attitudes instilled at a young age to
> appearance-fixation and dependence, to very distressing self-worth
> problems.

That reminds me of a show I saw on VH1 a few months back where they'd get
two completely different groups of people and have them watch the same music
videos (seperately) and have them comment on it.

One show featured drag queens on the one hand and little beauty pageant
beauty queens on the other... they had to have been about 8 or 9 years old.
They let them see a whole bunch of 80s stuff including Duran Duran and Dead
or Alive. While watching they'd ask them what they thought of the videos and
the song and all that. The drag queens had a lot of fun with it all, the
little girls however did nothing more than comment on the (bad) make-up and
hair and they were talking like suburban bored housewives in that "I don't
know how s/he dares go out looking like that". They were completely fixated
on nothing more than the appearances. I thought that was kind of sad that
they couldn't even watch it for amusement and laugh at it. The drag queens
were so much more entertaining to see watching some of the 80s cheese that
was also shown.

Marieke

Marieke

Aug 30, 2001, 12:31:05 AM8/30/01

"Lady Vader" wrote:

> >agreed. i saw padded bras in the little kids section at the shops
recently,
> >i mean WTF have they got to pad?? i nearly died, i have also seen knee
high
> >heeled boots for little girls i think they are atrocious, they look like
> >little tramps you cant help but to feel sorry for the kids and wonder
about
> >the state of mind of the parent
>
> Yes, it is sad!
> I've seen very young girls, like 3-4 year olds, wearing high platform
> sandals, they've had hard time running and playing with their pals....
> Poor girls.

When in New York recently walking around with my boi I actually noticed a
family with two young girls, each would have been about 10 or so and they
were wearing shoes with a 3-4 inch heel *boggle*. My mother would NEVER have
let me wear heels at that age. Some parents are seriously weird.

Marieke

moondancer

Aug 30, 2001, 12:33:09 AM8/30/01

> >agreed. i saw padded bras in the little kids section at the shops
recently,
> >i mean WTF have they got to pad?? i nearly died, i have also seen knee
high
> >heeled boots for little girls i think they are atrocious, they look like
> >little tramps you cant help but to feel sorry for the kids and wonder
about
> >the state of mind of the parent
>
> Yes, it is sad!
> I've seen very young girls, like 3-4 year olds, wearing high platform
> sandals, they've had hard time running and playing with their pals....
> Poor girls.

In the Wal-Mart shoe dept. they had INFANT platform shoes. These were the
size my son was wearing at the time and he was 7 months old!!! Tell me that
is not ridiculous. How can you learn to walk in platforms.

Erin

Lady Vader

Aug 30, 2001, 2:24:53 AM8/30/01
>..and I wanted to be the Amazing Spider-Man.
>I can clearly remember asking my mom to buy me the
>BOYS' Spider-man UnderoosŽ so I could have a 'proper'
>costume for fighting crime in.
>My cheapo plastic Halloween mask and red footy pyjamas
>weren't radioactive enough! But I never got any. *pout*

Ooh. :) I think that I wanted to be Superman is just because Supergirl
never were any popular in Sweden, there's no Supergirl comics,
costumes or something here... I remember that I wanted to have
Superman costume, when I was 5 or something like that. The costume
bought was just a t-shirt with superman logo and boy's superman
underwear (complete with opening, you know, that upside down Y, I
don't know what its name is in English). Mother added blue tights and
eventually she made mantle complete with the yellow S-logo on the back
for me.

I clearly remember that some guys asked me if I've borrowed my dad's
underpants! *lol* See, I still have a pic of myself clad in Superman
costume on my old website! *lol*
http://hem.passagen.se/helenah/files/helena_as_superman.jpg
MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"Impressive... Most impressive."
DARTH VADER

Dyfferent

Aug 30, 2001, 9:20:15 AM8/30/01
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:55:38 GMT, lady....@galacticempire.net (Lady
Vader) wrote:

> I've thoughting of
>ironing these green hair, and then curl them someway to get corkscrew
>curls. I'm still trying out the best method to curl the hair

I understand you can wrap it on metal knitting needles & stick it into
boiling water briefly & that will curl it. It's called a "boil perm"
& people who customize Barbies do it.

Haven't tried this myself--you might wish to try on some cheap hair of
an easy-to-get color first.

Dyf

--
The only thing that separates us from the animals
is our ability to accessorize.

My eBay page: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/dyfferent/

Mare

Aug 30, 2001, 9:29:56 AM8/30/01
>Someday I would like to own a gramaphone, just for sheer theatrical value.

We plan on scrapping the TV in the living room and replacing it with a
gramaphone. The one's I found are unreliable repros though and I want a good
usable one. My mother cant understand this- she cant even understand how I live
without cable- quite well, thanks.

Interesting thing about gramaphones- good ones run around $600. However, in the
20's, the things were almost $200!!! INSANELY expensive! Puts things in
perspective a bit. I mean- CARS were $400 and gramaphones were almost $200.

mare

GOODGOTH.COM Don't Miss A Thing. http://www.goodgoth.com
Boots. Clothing. Hair Dye. Cosmetics. Hosiery. T Shirts. Scents. Jewelry.
$5.00 off a $100 order- new coupon codes.

Mare

Aug 30, 2001, 9:31:18 AM8/30/01
>I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
>reason I dress the way I do now. (And inspired my love of synthpop, too,
>I think). My favorite doll had purple hair, which was perfectly normal
>for them, and therefore perfectly normal for me as a child. I still get
>mildly taken aback when people suggest that my hair isn't normal,
>despite the logical part of my brain which knows it's not. It's just
>ingrained so deeply that weird colors are normal. I also really loved
>Jem dolls because of their proportions. Small breasts, not the littlest
>waist in the world, etc. It made me feel a little better when I grew up
>and looked more like them than Barbie. :) I saw some dolls very recently
>that reminded me of them, but for the life of me I can't remember what
>they were called. Very rawk star like. :)

I hated Jem with a passion and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall her
blinking earrings weren't even in her ears- weren't they in her NECK a la
Frankenstein??

Mare

Aug 30, 2001, 9:38:10 AM8/30/01
>I used to make my Jem dolls tour with
>Barbie and the Rockers in their van. (Who was opening for whom, I wonder?)

But which Barbie and the Rockers? There was the first one- in which she had
giant blonde afro curly hair, and the second one- in which she had long
straight blonde hair and poofy bangs- and danced side to side. She was one of
my faves- she had good hair. Crystal Barbie was always my real fave tho. Then
there was great shape barbie. Her arms were straight so she looked awkward in
everything. Like the Malabu barbies- they were too tan. My friend had a barbie
with gold and white hair AND tinsil hair- which gets mangled really easily. My
first new Barbie came from toys are us nine million yrs ago- she had hair down
to her kneew and bendable HANDS. And one of the hands broke off she she was
handicapped. She was self conscious of this and I think the Ken's may have
taken advantage of her. Generally speaking however, strangely enough, the
Barbies were generally lesbians but the Kens were straight- which is most odd
considering some things nowadays. I had Western Ken. He had built in underwear.
And Western Skipper- but her head broke off and her neck chipped so her head
was floppy thereafter.

mare

Mare

Aug 30, 2001, 10:20:17 AM8/30/01
>I understand you can wrap it on metal knitting needles & stick it into
>boiling water briefly & that will curl it. It's called a "boil perm"
>& people who customize Barbies do it.
>
>Haven't tried this myself--you might wish to try on some cheap hair of
>an easy-to-get color first.
>
>Dyf

I used to wet the hair, then divide it into a million braids, braid the braids
to the braids etc. And leave for about a week. Worked well with ponies and
cabbage patch corn silk kids.

mare

Ruhiel

Aug 30, 2001, 9:23:06 PM8/30/01

Lady Vader wrote:

> I clearly remember that some guys asked me if I've borrowed my dad's
> underpants! *lol* See, I still have a pic of myself clad in Superman
> costume on my old website! *lol*
> http://hem.passagen.se/helenah/files/helena_as_superman.jpg

That is *SO* cute!!!

--
Ruhiel -
http://ruhiel.noom.com

Kar

Aug 30, 2001, 11:48:27 PM8/30/01
Lady Vader wrote, re: superman costumes:

>The costume
>bought was just a t-shirt with superman logo and boy's superman
>underwear (complete with opening, you know, that upside down Y,

Y-fronts!

>don't know what its name is in English).

>See, I still have a pic of myself clad in Superman

Oh, snap! Helen Slater never looked as cute as you did then. ;)

Gigglingly,
Kar

"Living means making your life a memorable experience." -anon.

Lady Vader

Aug 31, 2001, 1:46:47 AM8/31/01
>Lady Vader wrote, re: superman costumes:
>>The costume
>>bought was just a t-shirt with superman logo and boy's superman
>>underwear (complete with opening, you know, that upside down Y,
>
>Y-fronts!

Oh dear, it is same as in Swedish, ok almost! (y-front)
But I must say that it is a bit strange that "underpant" (or rather
overpant!) of Superman has Y-front. Guess it would be easier for him
to pee then...

>>See, I still have a pic of myself clad in Superman
>>costume on my old website! *lol*
>>http://hem.passagen.se/helenah/files/helena_as_superman.jpg
>
>Oh, snap! Helen Slater never looked as cute as you did then. ;)

Thank you :)
My mom and dad used the photo and copied it to a lot of christmas
greeting cards and sent it to like everyone, including one of my
class-mates, and she'd pinned up the photo on her bulletin board. She
was very popular and some of her pals visited her and they used to
make fun of me as the Superman-freak, and I'm reminded of it still to
today if I happen to meet someone of them... When I was younger
(=teenage) I was embarrassed but now I'm just happy that I've had a
fun childhood.

Seraphim Crying

Aug 31, 2001, 2:14:31 PM8/31/01
mare asked:

>But which Barbie and the Rockers?

Oh I had the first one...short white, pleather looking mini-skirt, thick purple
velvety sparkly belt that came to a point in the front, eyeshadow up to her
eyebrows, jelly bracelets....she was *such* the little 80s rock slut! I also
had Rocker Ken, with his long silver trenchcoat and one pink fingerless glove
w/silver stars on it. I remember getting one of the separate outfirs for
Rocker Barbie, which prominently featured neon green and black zebra stripes
with a neon green plastic purse that matched.

Oh no. Barbie *never* influenced my fashion choices. Not like I own a million
pairs of shoes, a pink pvc dress, foofy dresses out to wazoo and ridiculous
amounts of accessories. Not me...

Interestingly enough, I had a dream last night with Lady Lovelylocks in it.
Does anyone else remember this toy? She lived in a forest with all her friends
and there were these pastel...rodent things...but they were her friends and
they had long, multicolored tails which you could clip in her hair. A
precursor to extensions/ponyfalls, perhaps?

Fragment

Aug 31, 2001, 3:48:31 PM8/31/01
Seraphim Crying <seraphi...@aol.communion> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:20010831141431...@mb-fj.aol.com...

<snippity>

> Interestingly enough, I had a dream last night with Lady Lovelylocks in
it.
> Does anyone else remember this toy? She lived in a forest with all her
friends
> and there were these pastel...rodent things...but they were her friends
and
> they had long, multicolored tails which you could clip in her hair. A
> precursor to extensions/ponyfalls, perhaps?

Pixietails! Um... the rodent things, I mean. I had all the dolls, I think,
and the horse... I remember that my favorite was Lady Ravenwaves, and the
fact that she was supposedly the antagonist, when she was so obviously the
coolest one. Major preshadowing here. Lady Lovelylocks and my fifty-or-so My
Little Ponies (no, I'm not kidding. I was completely obsessed with 'em) are
the toys I remember most fondly, because my mom and I would play with them
on my bedroom floor, making up epic tales of chivalry and pertiful ladies
and such stuff.

Speaking about My Little Ponies, am I the only one who's noticed that the
new ones are hideous? The old ones were so cute and chubby, and those are
all starved! They *can't* be *my* ponies!

Fragment
--
Never judge a book by it's movie
http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/Schizm

c h e r r y - r i o t

Aug 31, 2001, 4:21:31 PM8/31/01
>Lady Lovelylocks and my fifty-or-so My
>Little Ponies (no, I'm not kidding. I was completely obsessed with 'em)

awww i loved my little ponies too!
i think i was the only boi in my kindergarten class who had a my little pony/gi
joe birthday party hehe . . .. oh geez i just noticed im wearing my my little
pony phat pants right now seeeee i still love em!

t r i s t e n c h e r r y - r i o t
im living in slow motion and want to press fast forward.

Kar

Aug 31, 2001, 5:31:22 PM8/31/01
Fragment wrote:

>Speaking about My Little Ponies, am I the only one who's noticed that the
>new ones are hideous? The old ones were so cute and chubby, and those are
>all starved! They *can't* be *my* ponies!

The new ones have their fan club too, I'm sure.. but to
this collector they are MLP in *name only*!
The only one I think is even remotely pretty is called
'Silver Swirl', or something like that.. white with silver
swirleys on her behind.

The old ones are great!
Call me crazy, but there are several that have a
perkygoth sensibility to them.
Namely, the Sparkle ponies, with their tinsel hair and
glitter-infused bodies; and the GITD ones.
Also I am fond of So-soft Twilight, she is purple and
fuzzy, with a candlestick as her symbol.
One day I'm going to customize a perfume-puff pony,
dye her hair black and give her "Siouxsie" eye-makeup. ;)

Kar
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some
strangeness in the proportion"-- Francis Bacon

Lauren

Aug 31, 2001, 6:02:15 PM8/31/01
>playing with that doll, and another one that
>had a metallic pink body and sparkly pink hair.

Ohmigod! I have been searching for that doll for over two years!
I got the nostalgia bug going through some old stuff when I moved a couple
years back, and I decided I was going to try to find some old 80's toys at
thrift stores or online. I got a chubble (anyone remember them? no one I know
does =P), and a Jem doll, and a Barbie and the Rockers little outfirt set. But
I want that pink metallic doll! The problem is, I don't remember her name or
anything! Does anyone know?

Lauren
"God undoubtedly loves kittens, but not, in all probability, with Technicolor
bootees on their paws."

Velvet Frogg

Aug 31, 2001, 6:15:51 PM8/31/01
>From: seraphi...@aol.communion (Seraphim Crying)

>Interestingly enough, I had a dream last night with Lady Lovelylocks in it.
>Does anyone else remember this toy? She lived in a forest with all her
>friends
>and there were these pastel...rodent things...but they were her friends and
>they had long, multicolored tails which you could clip in her hair. A
>precursor to extensions/ponyfalls, perhaps?

YES YES YES!!! I have the paper dolls still. I have no idea what condition they
are though. I was going to look at them and if they are good then I'd auction
them. I cleaned out my closet the other day and threw out a bunch of stuff. I
threw out all my barbie clothes I still had. I ahd saved them for so long and I
figured they take up space... out they went. And I had so much of my stuff for
so long. I don't know WHY. I'm such a pack rack. Oy.

This is me!

What kind of scary ass clowns came to your birthday parties?

Seraphim Crying

Aug 31, 2001, 6:51:25 PM8/31/01
Lauren asked:

> Ohmigod! I have been searching for that doll for over two years!

<snip>

>I want that pink metallic doll! The problem is, I don't remember her name or
>anything! Does anyone know?

Ok I broke down and did a Google search because it was bothering me too!

http://inthe80s.com/toys/s.shtml

Her name was Spectra. (Heh. I was sitting here thinking "Arista," like the
record company.) I couldn't find any pics of her though.

Christina L Sawyer

Aug 31, 2001, 7:48:07 PM8/31/01
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic.fashion: 31-Aug-101 Re: SV: OT(?) rant
childen .. by c e r r y - r i o...@aol.co
> >Lady Lovelylocks and my fifty-or-so My
> >Little Ponies (no, I'm not kidding. I was completely obsessed with 'em)
>
> awww i loved my little ponies too!
> i think i was the only boi in my kindergarten class who had a my
little pony/gi
> joe birthday party hehe . . .. oh geez i just noticed im wearing my my little
> pony phat pants right now seeeee i still love em!

I'm not a huge fan of phat pants, but I'd love to see those. :) There
are lots of people who still love MLPs. Yay, ponies. :) I started
collecting them again in college, but my friend has me beat...she had
about 400 or so in her ittybitty dorm room by the time we all graduated.
:)

Christy
--
http://www.spookee.net
"Art is all fun and games until someone loses an ear".

Lauren

Aug 31, 2001, 11:24:25 PM8/31/01
>Ok I broke down and did a Google search because it was bothering me too!
>
>http://inthe80s.com/toys/s.shtml
>
>Her name was Spectra. (Heh. I was sitting here thinking "Arista," like the
>record company.) I couldn't find any pics of her though.
>

>always mesh and lace,
>The Anti-Fashion Diva-in-Waiting
>"The scene's never what it used to be." -M.C.
>http://www.geocities.com/seraphimcrying/

*squeeeee* ! Yay! Thank you!!

(sorry for the exuberant one-liner)

c h e r r y - r i o t

Aug 31, 2001, 11:25:54 PM8/31/01
>. oh geez i just noticed im wearing my my little
>> pony phat pants right now seeeee i still love em!
>
>I'm not a huge fan of phat pants, but I'd love to see those. :)

i got them at freakandfrolic.com thats a great place great service they have
two side panels of my little poney on em . . i know i had a pik of em somewhere
around ill have to look around an ill send it to ya . .. .

meggie

Sep 1, 2001, 1:30:23 AM9/1/01
Kar said:

>One day I'm going to customize a perfume-puff pony,
>dye her hair black and give her "Siouxsie" eye-makeup. ;)

i made a punk pony once. she was a purple unicorn and she looked more like a
guy pony though. i painted her all black with polish, and topped that with a
coat of either glitter gel or glitter polish... i cut her hair, spiked it up,
and added some black polish to keep it up. her tail is close to her butt,
spiked out it in a circle.

--
meggie
feeling better

Uadjit

Sep 1, 2001, 6:00:13 AM9/1/01
"meggie" <magp...@aol.completeme> wrote:

> i made a punk pony once.

Heh. I made a punk rock Betsy Wetsy doll when I was a kid. I painted her
hair/lips/eyelids with blue and green paint and put her in Rainbow Brite's
dress. She looked awesome but my little sister (whose doll Betsy Wetsy
happened to be) didn't agree. I was grounded for a week for that little
transgression.

Uadjit

Lady Vader

Sep 1, 2001, 9:34:41 AM9/1/01
>> i made a punk pony once.
>
>Heh. I made a punk rock Betsy Wetsy doll when I was a kid. I painted her
>hair/lips/eyelids with blue and green paint and put her in Rainbow Brite's
>dress. She looked awesome but my little sister (whose doll Betsy Wetsy
>happened to be) didn't agree. I was grounded for a week for that little
>transgression.

Oh. I've stolen a My Little Pony from my little sister (she had like
100 of them anyway, while I had just 8) and painted the whole pony
gold with a gold marker pen, including eyes and hair. Then I gave the
pony a crew cut. The pony was a pale lilac child-pony with pink hair.
The pony did look very strange with no eyes!

My sister wasn't very happy when she found out it! *lol* But she'd
almost destroyed my Dream Castle (that pink My Little Pony castle) so
I just thought that it was fair...

And by the way I prefer the classic MLP ponies, they're much more cute
than these today! They do look starved... Anorexic ponies or
something...
MTDSBWY
Lady Vader

lady....@galacticempire.net
"Now, young Skywalker... You will die."
EMPEROR PALPATINE

Mare

Sep 1, 2001, 1:20:12 PM9/1/01
>Interestingly enough, I had a dream last night with Lady Lovelylocks in it.

I'm going to push this off topic because I had 2 nights of fucked up dreams.
OK. Last night I had a dream my brother had a chest cold and I said so you'll
get over it- and he told me the doctor told him he had neuro blah blah
something, and that it was going to cause an infection in his bran and DEATH.

And then I woke up with a chest cold.

The previous night involved a Leopold and Loeb dream- which was nice but fucked
up. Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were in my grandmother's house. Nathan
Leopold was standing in the shower of my (OTHER) grandmother's bathroom- and
there was a window that led to the garage- he was clothed and the shower wasn't
on- through the window he watched Richard Loeb directing other kids in some
sort of plot and Nathan wanted Richard to go into the bathroom.

I told this fucked up dream to my man and he told me he ALWAYS had weird "in my
grandmothers house" dreams- that they muct be one of those Jungean common human
experiences. He said he also had the STAND dream quite often- where everyone on
earth was gone but him- and that that too might be a Jungean experience and
perhaps that's where Steven King got the idea- and dreams do play into the
Stand quite prominantly anyway....

Oh. The night before the L and L dream I had a dream I was being chased by a
horrid large wormlike bug. I cut it's head off and it was all solid inside
(sort of the way King describes whatsername in misery. ) and the worm bug's
head grew back and it was going to bite me so I had to pin it down with forks
and it kept squirming........

mare

Mare

Sep 1, 2001, 1:21:10 PM9/1/01
>Speaking about My Little Ponies, am I the only one who's noticed that the
>new ones are hideous? The old ones were so cute and chubby, and those are
>all starved! They *can't* be *my* ponies!
>
>Fragment

well, they're not the same. I have 6 new ones. The combs are too soft and they
dont have enough hair.

Spectra 137

Sep 1, 2001, 7:55:06 PM9/1/01
lady....@galacticempire.net (Lady Vader) wrote in message news:<3b8b367b...@news.telia.net>...
> >what makes me really ill is this:
> >I'll be walking through a girl's clothing department in the
> >mall or something, and i'll see something like BLACK PLEATHER
> >PANTS for tiny little girls. i swear i have seen black
> >pleather and pvc for small girls. now, laugh all you want and
> >say that's goth... but IMNSHO little girls should *not* be
> >sexualized, especially with something as blatantly fetishy as
> >pleather or pvc. i would *never* dress my child that way!
>
> I've seen black lacy "bra" and panties available for pre-teen girls
> without bust, available in shops here. It is very stupid....
>
> And I don't like it that very young girls have to wear "bras" when
> they're bathing or something like that.... They don't even have
> breasts, so why use the upper part of the bikini? And specially when
> it is designed in adult style... 5 year old girls are as flat chested
> as their boy friends in same age so there's nothing to hide...

> MTDSBWY
> Lady Vader
>
> lady....@galacticempire.net
> "All too easy"
> DARTH VADER

Evidently, in some areas of the country, child teens (13,14)
are now practicing BRAT bra art and technology. This is
up massively from last year.

meggie

Sep 1, 2001, 10:30:07 PM9/1/01
Spectra 137 said:
>Evidently, in some areas of the country, child teens (13,14)
>are now practicing BRAT bra art and technology. This is
>up massively from last year.

which means.....? i'm sorry i'm stupid...

Kar

Sep 1, 2001, 10:41:46 PM9/1/01
~megan~ wrote:

>>Evidently, in some areas of the country, child teens (13,14)
>>are now practicing BRAT bra art and technology. This is
>>up massively from last year.
>>

>which means.....? i'm sorry i'm stupid...

Ignore it, it's a troll.
Well maybe not a real troll, in the flame making sense,
but someone who likes to rant and is clearly obsessed with
certain areas of the female body.

moving onward...

Patchouli

Sep 1, 2001, 11:04:21 PM9/1/01
Mare wrote:

<< The previous night involved a Leopold and Loeb dream- which was nice but
fucked
up. >>

Okay, I've heard you mention Leopold & Loeb before here a bunch of times,
what's the interest? I assume their some historial figures, because I recall
you lusting after some old scripts on ebay relating to them? Colour me
clueless- I flunked history repeatedly.

~Patchouli
New ebay stuff as of 8/28: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shoe*strumpet/
"If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we leave him there?"
-Ranting Swede

somevelvetsidewalk

Sep 1, 2001, 11:50:13 PM9/1/01
Courtney <ve...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.15f77b26d...@news.chi.sbcglobal.net>...
> In article <20010829181703...@mb-mk.aol.com>,
> angu...@aol.comeow says...

> > >I really liked Jem dolls when I was a kid. I think they're part of the
> > >reason I dress the way I do now.
>
> I think I had a Jem lunchbox, but I miss Strawberry Shortcake... I had
> at least one of the scented plastic dolls and the most kickass
> Strawberry Shortcake sheets. I also had the Strawberry Shortcake "mold"
> for my little toy thing - it came with a metal frame, and these coloured
> plastic little peices you put into the frame and then put into the oven.
> When you pulled it out and let it cool, you had this spiffy coloured
> "sun catcher" thingie - I would just always toss the plastic bits in the
> mold without sorting them... It was much prettier to have rainbow
> coloured suncatchers, I thought.

you mean like shrinky-dinks? or somethin else?
> And how I loved my Rainbow Bright trashcan. For some reason, tho, I
> always hated the Cabbage Patch dolls. Care Bears I tolerated more, but
> only liked a very very few of them.
i never liked cabbage patch either. on the other hand, i LOVED the
care bears, i spent HOURS perfecting my care-bear stare. it was
awesome. I love Jem too, and Rainbow Brite.!

*nickole*

Kar

Sep 2, 2001, 4:12:07 PM9/2/01
magp...@aol.completeme (meggie) wrote:

>i made a punk pony once. she was a purple unicorn and she looked more like
>guy pony though. i painted her all black with polish, and topped that with
>coat of either glitter gel or glitter polish... i cut her hair, spiked it
>up,
>and added some black polish to keep it up. her tail is close to her butt,
>spiked out it in a circle.

Cute! I have a design for a punk pony as well, that I
will begin once I can locate an unloved Confetti mlp
(an early- 80's white pony with rainbow hair) that
is customizeable.
I plan to crazy glue the mane up into a mohican 'do,
paint on a tattoo, pierce his right ear and spike the
bobbed-tail into a similar shape as yours.
The crowning touch will be a fishnet string-vest
(ala Sid Vicious) made from a pair of my old, holed stockings.

Maybe once he's done they should start a band, or something. <G>

Kar

"there are two worlds:
the world we can measure with line and rule, and the
world that we feel with our hearts and imagination." --Leigh Hunt

Kar

Sep 2, 2001, 4:20:45 PM9/2/01
ladt vader wrote:
>>> i made a punk pony once.

>Oh. I've stolen a My Little Pony from my little sister (she had like

>100 of them anyway, while I had just 8) and painted the whole pony
>gold with a gold marker pen, including eyes and hair. Then I gave the
>pony a crew cut. The pony was a pale lilac child-pony with pink hair.
>The pony did look very strange with no eyes!

Cute! Talking about no-eyes:
My favorite custom-job I did was on a baby pony with
those creepy(?) movable dolls' eyes..
I was able to remove them using a tweezer, leaving
these big empty round sockets. {eeeek!!!}
I dyed the pony's body black with RIT[1] and gave him
red glass bead eyes,
pushed pins through the inside of the head and out
the opened mouth and painted them white {fangs!}.
Added a black cape and Mephisto the Vampire Pony
was born. ;)

Kar
[1] the dye took splendidly, but to my horror he stained
a few of the other ponies he was later stored with.
"Happiness is doing what you LOVE." -- L.B. Sommers

Jodi

Sep 3, 2001, 9:55:17 AM9/3/01
Ruhiel:

> Yes, I
> had Barbies, but it was the 70's. We all had Barbies :)

I didn't. :-) I wasn't interested and my parents didn't force them on
me. Which I'm endlessly grateful for.

Jodi

Courtney

Sep 3, 2001, 1:57:26 PM9/3/01
In article <92c8c43d.01090...@posting.google.com>,
ilikesist...@yahoo.com says...

> Courtney <ve...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.15f77b26d...@news.chi.sbcglobal.net>...
> > Strawberry Shortcake sheets. I also had the Strawberry Shortcake "mold"
> > for my little toy thing - it came with a metal frame, and these coloured
> > plastic little peices you put into the frame and then put into the oven.
> > When you pulled it out and let it cool, you had this spiffy coloured
> > "sun catcher" thingie - I would just always toss the plastic bits in the
> > mold without sorting them... It was much prettier to have rainbow
> > coloured suncatchers, I thought.
>
> you mean like shrinky-dinks? or somethin else?

Nope, shrinky-dinks were plastic and you coloured them with a pencil or
something - these didn't actually shrink. (Although shrinky-dinks rocked
too) It was just a metal frame that came with little bags of these clear
coloured plastic peices that melted together, connecting the metal frame
and the coloured middle together. When it cooled, you could pick it up
and hang it up in a window for the sun to catch the colours or use it at
a Christmas tree oranment (although I think they'd probably have been to
heavy to use on a live tree).

The past few days since I remembered about this I've been searching for
them on the internet. So far, no luck. I remember using them both before
and after we moved to Texas, so it was probably around 1984/85 that they
were sold for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if they probably stopped
selling them after kids burned themselves by touching them after they
just came out of the oven. Melted plastic and a metal peice just heated
up to 450 would hurt. =)

Courtney

Uadjit

Sep 3, 2001, 9:01:14 PM9/3/01

"Courtney" <ve...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Nope, shrinky-dinks were plastic and you coloured them with a pencil or
> something

Yay! I love shrinky dinks. I saw an art show here in Seattle of local
artists who were competing for the best composition using shrinky dinks. It
was nothing short of amazing and it made me nostalgic for shrinky dinks - so
I found some.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570545855/qid=999564185/sr=2-2/ref=a
ps_sr_b_1_2/103-5446801-9140628

(I prefer just getting the sheets of shrinky dink material and doing my own
thing but you can get a little book with patterns and instructions, too.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570544077/qid=999564185/sr=2-1/ref=a
ps_sr_b_1_1/103-5446801-9140628

It may just be nostalgia but I have tons of fun making outrageous shrinky
sculptures and whatnot.

absinthea

Sep 4, 2001, 1:08:24 AM9/4/01

Lady Vader wrote:

> Ooh. :) I think that I wanted to be Superman is just because Supergirl
> never were any popular in Sweden, there's no Supergirl comics,
> costumes or something here... I remember that I wanted to have
> Superman costume, when I was 5 or something like that. The costume
> bought was just a t-shirt with superman logo and boy's superman
> underwear (complete with opening, you know, that upside down Y, I
> don't know what its name is in English). Mother added blue tights and
> eventually she made mantle complete with the yellow S-logo on the back
> for me.

Ohh!! Ru is so right! You are so damn adorable in that underwear
costume!!!

absinthea

Heidi Evans

Sep 4, 2001, 1:11:23 AM9/4/01
Courtney wrote in message ...

It was just a metal frame that came with little bags of these clear
>coloured plastic peices that melted together, connecting the metal frame
>and the coloured middle together. When it cooled, you could pick it up
>The past few days since I remembered about this I've been searching for
>them on the internet. So far, no luck. I remember using them both before
>and after we moved to Texas, so it was probably around 1984/85 that they
>were sold for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if they probably stopped
>selling them after kids burned themselves by touching them after they
>just came out of the oven. Melted plastic and a metal peice just heated
>up to 450 would hurt. =)

Hey, Jo-Anns Fabrics still has these things---now they even have
Glow-in-the-dark ones! I used to like them, too, though I don't really
know what I'd do with them now. I remember my parents getting mad at me
for making monochromatic black-and-white ones. Sign of things to come, I
suppose.

--
New! Scented Soap! Updates 7/30/01
http://www.accentuateyourlook.com
Unique & affordable jewelry, clothing & gifts
We accept Visa, AMEX & Mastercard

just julia

Sep 4, 2001, 11:33:54 AM9/4/01
Kar <kar...@aol.comx> wrote:
> Lady Vader wrote, re: superman costumes:

>>The costume
>>bought was just a t-shirt with superman logo and boy's superman
>>underwear (complete with opening, you know, that upside down Y,

> Y-fronts!

or more popularly "briefs" or "tighty whiteys"

www.medianstrip.net/~julia = unusual suspects

she that is here

Sep 6, 2001, 11:33:09 AM9/6/01

I always loved dolls, and still do, my thing for dolls progressing to
life-sized dolls designed to look real and old white bisque dolls, one of
which I recently purchased on eBay, one of the few non-bedding/clothes/books
items I'm taking to school this year.

One thing that really does bother me, though, is that all the life-sized
dolls can be found by searching for 'sex dolls'. *sigh*

Shae

--
If we were going to retreat, we'd be long gone by now.

she that is here

Sep 6, 2001, 11:41:54 AM9/6/01
> And by the way I prefer the classic MLP ponies, they're much more cute
> than these today! They do look starved... Anorexic ponies or
> something...

I used to have so many MLP! I loved the couple I had with crystal eyes, I
had a white one with a blue crystal eye and dark blue hair, that was my
absolute favourite. I still have a purple plastic non-MLP but more
realistic horse, with kind of sparkly purple, and great teal hooves and long
purple hair with lots of braids. It's one of those childhood things you
keep, that and an old teddy bear is about it for me.

Mare

Sep 7, 2001, 9:47:01 AM9/7/01
>I used to have so many MLP! I loved the couple I had with crystal eyes, I
>had a white one with a blue crystal eye and dark blue hair, that was my
>absolute favourite.

That sounds like Gingerbread. I have her. I have most of the first season of
twinkle Eyes. Fizzy was my fave. Shes a green unicorn- an amazingly perfect
sort of matte green. She has a pink eye. Pink eye! I distinctly remember the
day I got Fizzy at Toys R us. We drove back via some roundabout rt and we
passed a horrid contemporary house- all slants and angles and i thought that
would be the house I'd have someday-and I started liking contemporaries at that
point. And although I still like Fizzy the pony- I hate contemporary houses and
bought a Colonial Revival (which has an entire room full of ponies- and books.
OK, mostly books)

Mare

GOODGOTH.COM Don't Miss A Thing. http://www.goodgoth.com
Boots. Clothing. Hair Dye. Cosmetics. Hosiery. T Shirts. Scents. Jewelry.

And The Catalog is finally back from the Printer! Yay!

Kar

Sep 8, 2001, 9:01:33 PM9/8/01
mare wrote:

>>I used to have so many MLP! I loved the couple I had with crystal eyes,
>>had a white one with a blue crystal eye and dark blue hair, that was my
>>absolute favourite.
>
>That sounds like Gingerbread. I have her.

I love Gingerbread, too! Although I haven't got her yet
because the white MLP are difficult to find in near-mint
shape. Their bodies take on a yellowish cast over time,
and some develop brown freckle-spots in their plastic.
Majesty the unicorn is one that seems esp. prone to this!

>I have most of the first season of
>twinkle Eyes. Fizzy was my fave. Shes a green unicorn- an amazingly perfect
>sort of matte green. She has a pink eye.

Fizzy's a nice pony!! Hasbro didn't make too many green ones...

My personal fave of the Twinkle-Eyed set is Masquerade.
Her colors are vibrant and just go so well together, IMHO!
(yellow body with 'glow-stick green' eyes,
and yellow, chartreuse, malachite and robins' egg blue hair)
Tied for 2nd place are Gingerbread (bc she's so pretty)
and Mimic (bc her symbol is a red parrot, and I love parrots.)

Velvet Frogg

Sep 8, 2001, 10:35:48 PM9/8/01
>From: kar...@aol.comx (Kar)

>My personal fave of the Twinkle-Eyed set is Masquerade.
>Her colors are vibrant and just go so well together, IMHO!
>(yellow body with 'glow-stick green' eyes,
>and yellow, chartreuse, malachite and robins' egg blue hair)

I have that one too! She was always one of my favorite ones. I use to have a
beautiful unicorn one. She was purple and was a princess I believe.. And I
think she had tinsel hair too. Can't remember what happened to her though. And
she was so pretty... :(

This is me!

What kind of scary ass clowns came to your birthday parties?

Kar

Sep 9, 2001, 2:24:17 PM9/9/01
velvetfrogg wrote:

> I use to have a
>beautiful unicorn one. She was purple and was a princess I believe.. And
>think she had tinsel hair too. Can't remember what happened to her though.
>And
>she was so pretty... :(

That's probably Princess Misty, from the second set
of MLP princesses. :) Tinsel forelocks, you remember
correctly!
Another neat purple tinselly pony is Twinkler, from the
Sparkle ponies set. A pegasus pony with a purple
glittery body, and purple tinsel in her hair.

Kar
"The way to love anything is to realize it might be
lost." -- G.K. Chesterson