Bringing my dreams of a Victorian/deathrock wardrobe back from the dead...

gothi...@hotmail.com

Jul 3, 2019, 9:12:34 PM7/3/19
I've introduced myself on the regular alt.gothic, but this time, I'm focusing a bit more on the fashion side of things.

I have utterly ADORED Victorian-Gothic fashion ever since I was a tiny tot watching the Addams Family and the Beetlejuice cartoon. It wasn't until I had a Goth classmate in 10th grade that I finally realized that there are people who actually dress like that, and that I could too.

At that point, however, my mom was very obsessed with me getting a scholarship to a Good School, and insisted that I not "pretend to be weird" because, somehow, this would override everything else my teachers knew about me, and the only thing they'd say to the recruiters was, "Oh you know, L's just......*Goth.*" (I've since come to realize that growing up in the rural South made Mom absolutely paranoid about What People Will Think, and that this never had to be my problem.)

OK, so college. I stuck to the relatively cheap stuff, like leather bracelets with spikes, band T-shirts, and a wool driver's cap I got from HT and promptly stuck some pins into. (Mom HATED that hat. Said it made me look like a bull d--e. I just put it on when I left for school, then took it off when I got home. I still have the D--e Hat in a drawer in my room, along with the arm warmers I got from HT about the same time.)

"But L," my mom would say when I expressed interest in Victorian-esque things. "You have to look Normal and Professional for your student-teaching, or you won't get good reports on your observations and no one will hire you to teach and and and and...." So I gave in and stuck to your typical dress blouse, with the occasional ruffles. My style became *boring,* and stayed that way for about the next decade.

I am now in my 30s, married, and ready to be myself finally. I even have a fair bit of sewing experience that I can bring to bear in making and altering clothes to bring out my inner Queen of the Night. Except....fabric and suitable clothing that *isn't* the subpar quality you see on Wish are damned expensive on a teacher's salary. (I do still use Wish as a nice bit of inspiration, though. Some of their clothing items would be excellent in a good-quality fabric.) And when you're curvy AND fat, AND petite, finding things that fit and flatter becomes a whole new challenge.

Anyone have advice for little things I can do or make to goth things up while I try to bring my weight back down?