Meet Diana 's 17 Godchildren Who Are To Benefit By Diana's Will

Marlene A Koenig

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

a godparent should be teaching or encouraging their godchildren
to learn about God and Christ - taking the godchild to church --
most godparents do nothing of the sort
--
and author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
published by Rosvall Royal Books

Su...@suki.source.co.uk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On 27 Feb 1998 00:44:09 GMT, patdw...@aol.com (Patdwfsyte) wrote:

>These are Diana's 17 godchildren:
>Lady Edwina Grosvenor: Born November 4, 1981. Daughter of the Duke and Duchess
>of Westminster. The Duke of Westminster is Prince Charles's cousin.
snip

I wonder how good a godparent she actually was, 17 god children does
seem a lot and I would think make it impossible to fulfill the role
properly.

Su...@suki.source.co.uk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Well I made the above post before reading all the posts stating what a
good godparent she was.

However, not one of the posts actually says anything about her taking
her duties as godparent seriously. Whilst spending time with them,
remembering their birthdays etc etc is great and shows that she was a
great lover of children it is not what being a godparent is all about.

paul overmars

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Marlene A Koenig wrote:

This is typical of Marlene's arrogance! I suppose you think that
Christianity is the only true religion Marlene.Actually your comment is
anti Christian because it does not respect other peoples philosophies or
religions!

paul overmars

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Marlene A Koenig wrote:

> a godparent should be teaching or encouraging their godchildren
> to learn about God and Christ - taking the godchild to church --
> most godparents do nothing of the sort
> -

You are hardly an example of moral sobriety Marlene.

Su...@suki.source.co.uk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 23:39:36 -0500, Marlene A Koenig
<74642...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>a godparent should be teaching or encouraging their godchildren
>to learn about God and Christ - taking the godchild to church --
>most godparents do nothing of the sort

Yes Marlene, exactly my point:) I have been asked to be a godparent
several times and have always refused because I would not make the
godparent promises knowing I would not keep them. This decision has
caused some upset to the people who have asked me as quite rightly
they considered it a great honor that I was refusing.

You are quite right the vast majority of people do not take their
responsibilities seriously and despite making promises in church seem
to have little understanding of what it really means to be a
godparent.

I would have thought that Diana who was married to the Head of the CoE
at the time she became godparent to the majority of the 17 would have
taken her responsibilities seriously.

Su...@suki.source.co.uk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:59:12 +0000, paul overmars
<paulov...@t1001.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Marlene A Koenig wrote:
>
>> a godparent should be teaching or encouraging their godchildren
>> to learn about God and Christ - taking the godchild to church --
>> most godparents do nothing of the sort

>> --

>> and author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
>> published by Rosvall Royal Books
>> Publisher of Royal Book News, the only newsletter for and about
>> Royal Books
>

>This is typical of Marlene's arrogance! I suppose you think that
>Christianity is the only true religion Marlene.Actually your comment is
>anti Christian because it does not respect other peoples philosophies or
>religions!

Paul, check the definition of Godparent in your own dictionary. What
religions other than christianity use the term "godparent"?

Su...@suki.source.co.uk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On 27 Feb 1998 10:26:33 GMT, patdw...@aol.com (Patdwfsyte) wrote:

>In article <34f6834...@news.source.co.uk>, Su...@suki.source.co.uk writes:
>

>I would have thought that Diana who was married to the Head of the CoE
>at
>>the time she became godparent to the majority of the 17 would have
>taken her
>>responsibilities seriously.
>

> Diana married the Prince of Wales. Queen Elizabeth might be
>who you are thinking of as the " Head " of the Church of England.
>
>Patricia

Yes of course I made a mistake in my post. It should have read future
head if the CoE.

Frank H. Johansen

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

paul overmars wrote:

> Marlene A Koenig wrote:
>
> > a godparent should be teaching or encouraging their godchildren
> > to learn about God and Christ - taking the godchild to church --
> > most godparents do nothing of the sort
> > --
> > and author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
> > published by Rosvall Royal Books
> > Publisher of Royal Book News, the only newsletter for and about
> > Royal Books
>
> This is typical of Marlene's arrogance! I suppose you think that
> Christianity is the only true religion Marlene.Actually your comment is
> anti Christian because it does not respect other peoples philosophies or
> religions!

?????????????????????????? She is only saying what a godparent's task
actually is, and that not so many godparents fullfill that task
??????????????????????????

Hal

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98
-------------------------------

We knew what you meant and so did Ms. Clueless.

Hal

JEANSUE

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

>This is typical of Marlene's arrogance! I suppose you think that
>Christianity is the only true religion Marlene.

Do non-christians have godparents? If not, then Marlene's comments are
accurate.

Lady of the Silver Broom

Nick Choules

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:41:48 GMT, Su...@suki.source.co.uk wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:59:12 +0000, paul overmars
><paulov...@t1001.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>This is typical of Marlene's arrogance! I suppose you think that

>>Christianity is the only true religion Marlene.Actually your comment is
>>anti Christian because it does not respect other peoples philosophies or
>>religions!
>

>Paul, check the definition of Godparent in your own dictionary. What
>religions other than christianity use the term "godparent"?

He isn't interested in anything other than slagging off at those who
know something.

Marlene A Koenig

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Suki you are absolulely right -- Diana was a member of the
Church of England -- all of her godchildren were members of the Church
of England -
Godparents - and the term -- is a Christian concept. Jewish children
do not have godparents

Marlene A Koenig

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Suki - the queen has more than 40 godchildren --
The Times last year had a longish piece on godchildren
of the Queen, Charles and Diana --
the article missed several of the Queen's godchildren (when she was still
princess Elizabeth).
Diana was a godmother to the Hon. Alexandra Knatchbull, Lord and
lady Romsey's daughter- and the Romseys had little contact with Diana in
her final years. Same for Lord and Lady Douro (whose daughter, Lady Mary,
is a goddaughter) - and the Greeks -
Incidentally, the tabloid press has again dredged up the false story about
the alleged snub toward Lord and Lady St. Andrews' and the christening robe.
Utter nonsense.
For one thing, Lord St. Andrews didn't renounce his rights when he married
Sylvana Tomaselli - he lost them automatically due to the Act of Settlement.
Lord St. Andrews is not a royal nor is his son, Lord Downpatrick. Lord St.
Andrews will one day be the Duke of Kent, but he will be His Grace the Duke
of Kent. Not HRH.
If the Queen had not allowed the christening to take place at the Chapel
Royal, at St. James's - that would have been a snub.
The christening gown, which was first worn in 1840 for the christening
of Princess Victoria (Princess Royal), has been worn by just about every
royal member of the Royal family since that time. It was worn 4 times in 1964-
but the gown is fragile, and a few years ago was given a new lining --
Princess Beatrice could barely fit into it -
Lord Downpatrick is the grandson of a prince, who is himself the grandson
of a sovereign -- thus, Lord Downpatrick is a great-great-grandson of a British
sovereign -
Prince Michael lost his right of succession when he married a Catholic -
but his children wore the gown (they are children of a royal prince). But
Lord Frederick and Lady Ella's children will not wear the gown for their
christenings --
Lady Helen's sons have not worn it (and indeed, their christenings have been
private -- Columbus' christening date was announced, but the ceremony
private, no photos, not even the names of the godparents. Nothing was
announced for Cassius' christening -
Flora and Alexander Ogilvy did not wear the gown - nor did the Christian
Mowatt.
Samuel Chatto did wear the gown -the first since Princess Eugenie.
But his grandmother is a Princess whose sister and father are and were
sovereigns. But again, this christening was private - not announced
until afterward, and no godparents named -- the only photo
is of the Queen Mother holding her great-grandson which was released to
the media a week or so after the christening, which took place at the
chapel in Windsor Great Park

Patdwfsyte

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

In article <19980227155...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, patdw...@aol.com
(Patdwfsyte) writes:

In article <#EY#bE5Q9...@nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>, Marlene A
>Koenig
<74642...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

Suki - the queen has more than
>40 godchildren --

Who are the Queen's godchildren and
>isn't Earl Spencer a
godchild of the Queen ?

Patricia

Never fear , I found the pressing answer !
The Queen is godmother to Earl Spencer.

Patricia

Marlene A Koenig

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

paul, darling -- Godparents are a Christian thing --
in case you didn;t learn that in SUnday school
(/exit

Patdwfsyte

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <#EY#bE5Q9...@nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>, Marlene A Koenig
<74642...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

Suki - the queen has more than 40 godchildren --

The Times last year had a
>longish piece on godchildren
of the Queen, Charles and Diana --
the article
>missed several of the Queen's godchildren (when she was still
princess
>Elizabeth).

We know now that Earl Spencer is the godson
to the Queen but who are the other 39 godchildren you speak of ?

Patricia