OT but urgent!

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 3:06:25 AM1/22/03
We are going to my Godson's wedding on Sunday and he's marrying a Cypriot
girl in a Greek Orthodox Church. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether
or not women can wear hats in such a church and I'd really welcome some
information. I don't want to pester the poor bride whose hands are more
than full already!
Does anyone know if I'll be 'told off' and asked to remove it if I wear a
hat as I would to an English wedding?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Inge Jones

Jan 22, 2003, 4:56:16 AM1/22/03
In article <BA540180.5424%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,
sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk says...

Sacha, surely you won't be thought any the worse of by asking the couple
(or the girl's parents) directly? If opinions are divided it might be
because it varies according to the actual church, or even the traditions
of the family involved in the occasion. Even in normal CofE weddings
there are those weddings you can go to with or without a hat according
to your choise, those you'd be stared at if you didn't and those you'd
be giggled at if you did.

aMAZon

Jan 22, 2003, 8:00:54 AM1/22/03

sacha wrote:

Can you get the church's phone number? I'd call the church secretary
and ask her.

My husband's aunt held such a position and fielded calls like this all
the time.
--
aMAZon
zesz...@worldnet.att.net

Wull

Jan 22, 2003, 8:07:26 AM1/22/03
I doubt if any female in the whole wide world
would be criticized for wearing a hat in church.

Wull

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 8:15:58 AM1/22/03
in article 3E2E9602...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net, aMAZon at
zesz...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net wrote on 22/1/03 1:00 pm:

> sacha wrote:
>
>> We are going to my Godson's wedding on Sunday and he's marrying a Cypriot
>> girl in a Greek Orthodox Church. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether
>> or not women can wear hats in such a church and I'd really welcome some
>> information. I don't want to pester the poor bride whose hands are more
>> than full already!
>> Does anyone know if I'll be 'told off' and asked to remove it if I wear a
>> hat as I would to an English wedding?
>

> Can you get the church's phone number? I'd call the church secretary
> and ask her.
>
> My husband's aunt held such a position and fielded calls like this all
> the time.

BRILLIANT idea! As long as they don't want me to speak Greek, that will be
the answer. Many thanks.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 8:15:20 AM1/22/03
in article MPG.18987b1cf...@text.giganews.com, Inge Jones at
in...@drealm.org.uk wrote on 22/1/03 9:56 am:

> In article <BA540180.5424%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,
> sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk says...
>> We are going to my Godson's wedding on Sunday and he's marrying a Cypriot
>> girl in a Greek Orthodox Church. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether
>> or not women can wear hats in such a church and I'd really welcome some
>> information. I don't want to pester the poor bride whose hands are more
>> than full already!
>> Does anyone know if I'll be 'told off' and asked to remove it if I wear a
>> hat as I would to an English wedding?
>
> Sacha, surely you won't be thought any the worse of by asking the couple
> (or the girl's parents) directly?

I've asked the Godson who dropped in for a chat at breakfast time yesterday
(!) and he just sorted of went "ummm". When I last asked the bride, she
just wasn't sure and I truly don't want to ring the poor girl up and faff
about *my* outfit when she's preparing for her own very special day!

>If opinions are divided it might be
> because it varies according to the actual church, or even the traditions
> of the family involved in the occasion. Even in normal CofE weddings
> there are those weddings you can go to with or without a hat according
> to your choise, those you'd be stared at if you didn't and those you'd
> be giggled at if you did.

I don't much care if people stare or giggle but I don't want to offend
either Greek custom or religious observance. If I get flung out, I'll let
you know. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

DRM

Jan 22, 2003, 10:02:09 AM1/22/03
sacha <sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<BA540180.5424%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>...

I could advise you to check Google's hundreds of results for "Greek
wedding" but I'm not that kind of person.

Your answer is at this link--------

http://members.fortunecity.com/verenad/Alexia.html

The bottom picture shows the guests in hats.The custom probably hasn't
changed in the short span of time.Something about a "Big Fat Greek
Wedding" is a popular movie over here.

DRM

Inge Jones

Jan 22, 2003, 10:14:26 AM1/22/03
In article <BA544A0E.5435%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,
sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk says...

> BRILLIANT idea! As long as they don't want me to speak Greek, that will be
> the answer. Many thanks.

Oh, and report back here with the answer, I'm curious now!

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 10:31:15 AM1/22/03
in article f7de6694.03012...@posting.google.com, DRM at
DR...@boxfrog.com wrote on 22/1/03 3:02 pm:

> sacha <sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> We are going to my Godson's wedding on Sunday and he's marrying a Cypriot
>> girl in a Greek Orthodox Church. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether
>> or not women can wear hats in such a church and I'd really welcome some
>> information. I don't want to pester the poor bride whose hands are more
>> than full already!
>> Does anyone know if I'll be 'told off' and asked to remove it if I wear a
>> hat as I would to an English wedding?
>
> I could advise you to check Google's hundreds of results for "Greek
> wedding" but I'm not that kind of person.

I'd still be very grateful and would take that trouble to follow up your
suggestions because it would seem polite to do so when you've troubled to
find out for me that they exist.

> Your answer is at this link--------
>
> http://members.fortunecity.com/verenad/Alexia.html

Thank you SO much, I'll have a look.

> The bottom picture shows the guests in hats.The custom probably hasn't
> changed in the short span of time.Something about a "Big Fat Greek
> Wedding" is a popular movie over here.
>
> DRM

Ah, I've seen it and enjoyed it greatly but that was a wedding taking place
in USA and this is taking place in Bristol. As Inge said different
communities have different habits, even when under the same umbrella.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 10:36:26 AM1/22/03
in article MPG.1898c5b03...@text.giganews.com, Inge Jones at
in...@drealm.org.uk wrote on 22/1/03 3:14 pm:

Right. I talked to someone at the vicarage and the answer is that they
don't usually wear hats in church. So, I'm going to take mine and see what
the rest of the English contingent is doing. She didn't seem to think it
was forbidden or in any way outrageous, just not usual. But my Godson
seemed to think it *might* be frowned upon. Sighhhhh!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Mjdia

Jan 22, 2003, 10:50:43 AM1/22/03
RE: Hats at a Greek Orthodox Wedding

Anybody seen the very popular US movie
My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I haven't seen it but I wonder if people wore hats in the wedding scene. MJ

Mjdia

Jan 22, 2003, 10:53:00 AM1/22/03
>Ah, I've seen it and enjoyed it greatly but that was a wedding taking place
>in USA and this is taking place in Bristol. As Inge said different
>communities have different habits, even when under the same umbrella.

You could tell them you're from America....MJ

Susan Cohen

Jan 22, 2003, 10:59:41 AM1/22/03

I can't imagine why you *shouldn't* wear a hat!!
I'll ask my uncle.

Susan

Susan Cohen

Jan 22, 2003, 11:01:01 AM1/22/03

DRM wrote:
> sacha <sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<BA540180.5424%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>...
>
>>We are going to my Godson's wedding on Sunday and he's marrying a Cypriot
>>girl in a Greek Orthodox Church. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether
>>or not women can wear hats in such a church and I'd really welcome some
>>information. I don't want to pester the poor bride whose hands are more
>>than full already!
>>Does anyone know if I'll be 'told off' and asked to remove it if I wear a
>>hat as I would to an English wedding?
>

> I could advise you to check Google's hundreds of results for "Greek
> wedding" but I'm not that kind of person.

Funny, but that would have been my suggestion - only in the "images"
section. It would have given her the answer right off.

Susan

Susan Cohen

Jan 22, 2003, 11:03:47 AM1/22/03

sacha wrote:
> I talked to someone at the vicarage and the answer is that they
> don't usually wear hats in church. So, I'm going to take mine and see what
> the rest of the English contingent is doing. She didn't seem to think it
> was forbidden or in any way outrageous, just not usual. But my Godson
> seemed to think it *might* be frowned upon. Sighhhhh!

If it's just a question of habit or style or dress, go ahead & wear it.
The only thing you'd really have to worry about would be if it was
against some religious belief (I mean, who would really get offended if
you decided to wear a hat because, say, you liked hats??)

I'd ask your godson just what his reasoning is - really!

SusanC

andyh

Jan 22, 2003, 11:50:48 AM1/22/03

Wull <wjma...@datarecall.net> wrote in message

> I doubt if any female in the whole wide world
> would be criticized for wearing a hat in church.
>
> Wull

==============
LOL.......yes they would if it was a 'Cilla' hat.......AGR's over the pond
know what I means.
Mrs.H

Jean Sue Libkind

Jan 22, 2003, 12:32:40 PM1/22/03
in article 3E2EC0E3...@his.com, Susan Cohen at fla...@his.com wrote on
1/22/03 11:03:

Wear the hat if you want to wear the hat, Sacha. Nobody ever said women
couldn't wear hats in a christian church.

Tara O.

Jan 22, 2003, 12:39:54 PM1/22/03
After reading all the responses (and your godson's remark)....If the absence
of a hat won't be considered a major slight to anyone then I'd go with the
safe route and leave the hat at home.

--
Tara

Jean Sue Libkind

Jan 22, 2003, 12:35:45 PM1/22/03

Sacha,

go to

http://www.goholycross.org/archives/cc0697.html#hats

I found it via a search engine putting in "Greek orthodox women hats"

Can't imagine they would have hats in the show if not in the church.

js

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 4:19:21 PM1/22/03
in article 20030122105300...@mb-mq.aol.com, Mjdia at
mj...@aol.com wrote on 22/1/03 3:53 pm:

Even in America people knew I was English. ;-) No chance!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 4:22:16 PM1/22/03
in article 3E2EC0E3...@his.com, Susan Cohen at fla...@his.com wrote on
22/1/03 4:03 pm:

I think he's just not sure. As I said above, I'll just take it along and
look around me. ;-0 As I'm his Godmother and Godmothers are (I'm told by
his fiancee) more important in Greek religious observations even than they
are in the CoE, I just don't want to let him down and do something that will
embarrass him later. Mind you - he's wearing the kilt.......... that should
give everyone enough to chew on! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 4:24:41 PM1/22/03
in article BA5440A1.B009%jea...@bookschlepper.com, Jean Sue Libkind at
jea...@bookschlepper.com wrote on 22/1/03 5:35 pm:

Great info, thank you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 22, 2003, 4:26:27 PM1/22/03
in article b0mkro$qu268$1...@ID-92443.news.dfncis.de, Tara O. at
nos...@yahoo.com wrote on 22/1/03 5:39 pm:

Thanks Tara and everyone. I've decided to take the hat and wear it if it
seems appropriate. There's a dinner the night before at which his fiancee
won't be present so I can check with others from the British contingent
then, too. Many thanks to everyone for all the help.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 30, 2003, 3:05:09 AM1/30/03
in article MPG.1898c5b03...@text.giganews.com, Inge Jones at
in...@drealm.org.uk wrote on 22/1/03 3:14 pm:

> In article <BA544A0E.5435%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,

The outcome was that all the British contingent wore hats and the Greek
didn't. I was advised by someone married to a Greek not to wear black and
probably not trousers. And what did the bride's mother wear? A black
trouser suit! It was a charming, deeply happy occasion and my heart is
warmed and my chuckle factor stimulated by the memory of my very tall,
rugger-built Godson wearing full Highland dress with a wreath of flowers on
his head. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Inge Jones

Jan 30, 2003, 6:49:36 AM1/30/03
In article <BA5E8D34.5C5A%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,
sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk says...

> The outcome was that all the British contingent wore hats and the Greek
> didn't. I was advised by someone married to a Greek not to wear black and
> probably not trousers. And what did the bride's mother wear? A black
> trouser suit! It was a charming, deeply happy occasion and my heart is
> warmed and my chuckle factor stimulated by the memory of my very tall,
> rugger-built Godson wearing full Highland dress with a wreath of flowers on
> his head. ;-)

Sounds like it was very enjoyable, anyway. What did you actually wear
in the end, apart from the hat? To my daughter's wedding I wore a rust
and cream patterned floaty silk long top and floaty rust-coloured
trousers with reddish shoes. No hat.

sacha

Jan 30, 2003, 9:33:30 AM1/30/03
in article MPG.18a3219fa...@text.giganews.com, Inge Jones at
in...@drealm.org.uk wrote on 30/1/03 11:49 am:

A navy jacket and deep pink skirt, navy hat, shoes and bag. And to the
horror of those who abhor the practice, a fur coat! It was a very cold,
misty day and as I've had several illnesses since November, I'm afraid my
very venerable mink got an airing. In its pocket I found a 1998 train
ticket which shows how long it's been in the cupboard!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Inge Jones

Jan 30, 2003, 2:34:42 PM1/30/03
In article <BA5EE83A.5C82%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk>,
sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk says...

> I'm afraid my very venerable mink got an airing

Well it's there now, it can't cause any further suffering (-: When I
became vegetarian I continued to wear my leather shoes etc., but
replaced them with synthetic when they wore out.

sacha

Jan 30, 2003, 3:11:53 PM1/30/03
in article MPG.18a38ea9b...@text.giganews.com, Inge Jones at
in...@drealm.org.uk wrote on 30/1/03 7:34 pm:

To be honest, that's rather what I felt. I wouldn't go and buy a fur coat
now but this one was bought for me iin the days when people still thought
nothing of wearing them. I'm afraid I don't go that far over leather but my
vegan God daughter does and what is more I never know quite what to feed
her! And she's coming to stay next week......
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

andyh

Jan 30, 2003, 3:18:09 PM1/30/03

> To be honest, that's rather what I felt. I wouldn't go and buy a fur coat
> now but this one was bought for me iin the days when people still thought
> nothing of wearing them. I'm afraid I don't go that far over leather but
my
> vegan God daughter does and what is more I never know quite what to feed
> her! And she's coming to stay next week......
> --
> Sacha
> www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
>
> =============
I have a good recipe for Lentil Loaf, which includes an egg, and
milk....prob a no-no for a vegan......right? It's good served with creamy
potatoes, with a gravy made from fresh mushrooms. My girls enjoyed this the
next day sliced in a sandwich.
Mrs.H
Mrs.H

sacha

Jan 30, 2003, 5:01:54 PM1/30/03
in article 5Mf_9.5187$wd2.4...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, andyh at
ahamste...@earthlink.net wrote on 30/1/03 8:18 pm:

I'd like it for us, thank you. But for a vegan, no. Absolutely no animal
products of any sort - no milk, no cheese, no eggs, no butter, no honey. It
really is very hard to cater for but I'll think of something. Being married
to a meat and two veg man makes this pretty difficult at times because
neither his nor my family thought along vegan or even vegetarian lines. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

andyh

Jan 30, 2003, 6:37:24 PM1/30/03

> I'd like it for us, thank you. But for a vegan, no. Absolutely no animal
> products of any sort - no milk, no cheese, no eggs, no butter, no honey.
It
> really is very hard to cater for but I'll think of something. Being
married
> to a meat and two veg man makes this pretty difficult at times because
> neither his nor my family thought along vegan or even vegetarian lines.
;-)

> --
> Sacha
> www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
>
>============
Ummm, that's hard..........'fraid I would be up to the shops to the freezer
section for vegan food like a Nut Roast etc. Of course there is the old
basic salad standby fancied up with asparagus spears, sundried tomatoes and
what have you, with Balsamic vinegar.

We used to make vegetarian Shepherds Pie, but that has butter for creaming
potatoes and sauteeing onion, or a veggie platter of a baked potato topped
with a selection of steamed veggies with the mushroom gravy. Then there is
the grilled Portabello mushroom served on a bun, like a hamburger, topped up
with sauteed onions......never mind, she probably wouldn't eat the bread. Oy
vey, I see your dilemma......right, off to Tescos with you.
Mrs.H

Lentil Loaf
2 cups cooked green lentils
1 tin of evap milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
1 egg - beaten
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 tsp chopped onion
1 cup chopped nuts - optional (I never have)

Mix ingredients till blended. Put in 1 1/2 qt baking casserole dish.
Bake 350/Mark 5 I believe for 1 hour

jflexer

Jan 30, 2003, 7:41:27 PM1/30/03

"andyh" <ahamste...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Here's some ideas:

you can make a fairly basic, scrumptous vegetable stew. (If you are able to
buy veggie stock it is even easier.) thicken with pureed potato and
cornstarch (careful or you'll have grainy pie filling! G! )

in US, I can buy vegan 'ground crumbles' that are like ground beef. I make
a taco filling with them - and serve it with tomatoes, onions, etc and
iceberg lettuce cups instead of shells.

Try a vegetable stir fry. Use peanut oil or avocado oil (high flashpoint
and they don't taste like run-of-the-mill veg oils also great for popcorn)
and your choice of veggies. If you want a sauce, again use the veggie
stock, spices, and thicken with cornstarch. Serve over brown rice.

another great side dish: Brown Rice and Wheat berries... mix together and
cook as if only rice. makes a complete protein. can season and add veg's
for more of a main-dish

Black beans are another great starter for hearty vegan faire... make soups
or dips. a great snack - jicama sticks with humus or black bean dip.

make a fresh green salad, but top with freshly roasted nuts and mushroom
chunks (stick em under the broiler for a cpl of carefully watched
minutes)...

While many vegans will also disallow 'prepared processed foods' there are
two great manufacturers of veggie burgers and sausages: Morninstar and
Boca. I've eaten most of their stuff (including veggie "chicken nuggets")
very tasty...

also, get soy milk and corn flakes for breakfast - also many of the soy and
rice based 'ice cream' products are good. I've had 'rice dreams' and
'cuties' here - both good...

You can make an interesting gravy with veg stock, a few black beans (for
'smoky' flavor and thickening), mushrooms, and seasonings... puree, adding
add'l stock until consistency is correct

You could also experiment with fruit tart for desert - non-dairy crust (sort
of a graham-crackery affair), make filling with tapioca and fruit juice, top
with berries and glaze with more fruit juice and sugar cooked down...

andyh

Jan 30, 2003, 9:11:14 PM1/30/03

jflexer <jfl...@fake.aol.com> wrote in message
==========
To thicken my veggie stew I use sweet potato aswell as potato, I simmer the
soup long enough where they breakdown making the soup nice 'n brothy, and,
adding dumplings also helps with the thickening........but of course they
contain animal fat.

> in US, I can buy vegan 'ground crumbles' that are like ground beef. I
make
> a taco filling with them - and serve it with tomatoes, onions, etc and
> iceberg lettuce cups instead of shells.
>
> Try a vegetable stir fry. Use peanut oil or avocado oil (high flashpoint
> and they don't taste like run-of-the-mill veg oils also great for popcorn)
> and your choice of veggies. If you want a sauce, again use the veggie
> stock, spices, and thicken with cornstarch. Serve over brown rice.
>
> another great side dish: Brown Rice and Wheat berries... mix together
and
> cook as if only rice. makes a complete protein. can season and add veg's
> for more of a main-dish
>
> Black beans are another great starter for hearty vegan faire... make soups
> or dips. a great snack - jicama sticks with humus or black bean dip.
>
> make a fresh green salad, but top with freshly roasted nuts and mushroom
> chunks (stick em under the broiler for a cpl of carefully watched
> minutes)...
>
> While many vegans will also disallow 'prepared processed foods' there are
> two great manufacturers of veggie burgers and sausages: Morninstar and
> Boca. I've eaten most of their stuff (including veggie "chicken nuggets")
> very tasty...
>=============
I have tasted the prepared veggie burgers in England and didn't care for
them. The best one ever was from of all places Burger King which is ten
times better than the one BK has over here. The UK veggie burger is
seasoned with a hint of curry, plump, moist, and crusty on the outside.

> also, get soy milk and corn flakes for breakfast - also many of the soy
and
> rice based 'ice cream' products are good. I've had 'rice dreams' and
> 'cuties' here - both good...
>
> You can make an interesting gravy with veg stock, a few black beans (for
> 'smoky' flavor and thickening), mushrooms, and seasonings... puree, adding
> add'l stock until consistency is correct
>
> You could also experiment with fruit tart for desert - non-dairy crust
(sort
> of a graham-crackery affair),

=================
In Brit :o) terms that's a pie base made with digestive biscuits/cookies.

ALMACKS

Jan 31, 2003, 12:10:14 AM1/31/03
<<I'd like it for us, thank you. But for a vegan, no. Absolutely no animal
products of any sort - no milk, no cheese, no eggs, no butter, no honey.>>

Try Pasta primavera.

It's pasta and vegtables. It's also delicious, filling and it's a standard
recipe in Italian restaurants and cookbooks, so you won't have to cook some
offbeat "hippie" recipe that no one else at the table will touch.

Dana

Inge Jones

Jan 31, 2003, 3:56:39 AM1/31/03
In article <UGi_9.5481$wd2.4...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
ahamste...@earthlink.net says...

> We used to make vegetarian Shepherds Pie, but that has butter for creaming
> potatoes and sauteeing onion, or a veggie platter of a baked potato topped
> with a selection of steamed veggies with the mushroom gravy. Then there is
> the grilled Portabello mushroom served on a bun, like a hamburger, topped up
> with sauteed onions......never mind, she probably wouldn't eat the bread. Oy
> vey, I see your dilemma......right, off to Tescos with you.
> Mrs.H

Something we have in our house that happens to also be vegan is lentil
stew. I call it stew rather than soup because it is really thick with
lentils. Just stick half a packet of red lentils (or split peas),
several sliced carrots and an onion into 2.5 pints water with vegetable
stock cubes and white pepper and microwave for about 45mins. Eat with
bread, which complements the protein limitations of the lentils and
gives a completely available protein.

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 5:33:03 AM1/31/03
in article UGi_9.5481$wd2.4...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, andyh at
ahamste...@earthlink.net wrote on 30/1/03 11:37 pm:

Thanks for that but I'll have to find something instead of the egg. I'm
sure that must be possible! We have an excellent 'health' shop in Totnes so
I'll consult them, too. As for Tesco's - no way, not after the way they
messed up my online Christmas order! It arrived on Christmas eve morning
with no sprouts or other veg, no cream, no cheese and a baby milk other than
the one I'd ordered. You'd think they'd train their staff to know you can't
change babies from one formula to another at the drop of a hat!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 5:34:05 AM1/31/03
in article b1cgs...@enews2.newsguy.com, jflexer at jfl...@fake.aol.com
wrote on 31/1/03 12:41 am:

Many good idea! Thanks, Jeff. You do realise this mean *cooking* with a
capital C, though!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 5:35:08 AM1/31/03
in article 6Xk_9.5712$wd2.4...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, andyh at
ahamste...@earthlink.net wrote on 31/1/03 2:11 am:

Funny that should come up. I've just been re-reading one of Frances Mayes
books and she mentions graham crackers. I wondered if that's what they
were!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 5:36:14 AM1/31/03
in article 20030131001014...@mb-mk.aol.com, ALMACKS at
alm...@aol.com wrote on 31/1/03 5:10 am:

Good idea and Ray annd I could have parmesan cheese on ours, too. I'll have
to get the pasta that's not made with egg, which isn't as nice but that
would work. It's beginning to look as if she won't starve after all!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jean Sue Libkind

Jan 31, 2003, 10:11:43 AM1/31/03
in article BA60021E.5D56%sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk, sacha at
sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 1/31/03 5:36:

> Good idea and Ray annd I could have parmesan cheese on ours, too. I'll have
> to get the pasta that's not made with egg, which isn't as nice but that
> would work. It's beginning to look as if she won't starve after all!
> --
> Sacha

And you can always do red beans and rice creole style for a spicy
alternative. We had a vegan working for us when I was in Ithaca and I made a
huge pot of it for the staff on his birthday.

js

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 10:22:35 AM1/31/03
in article BA5FFC5E.B503%jea...@bookschlepper.com, Jean Sue Libkind at
jea...@bookschlepper.com wrote on 31/1/03 3:11 pm:

Ah. You obviously never saw Ray's reaction to rice. He simply can't
imagine why God bothered to create it..... I *love* risotto and the sort of
dish you describe but eat them when we go out!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

andyh

Jan 31, 2003, 10:35:12 AM1/31/03

Jean Sue Libkind <jea...@bookschlepper.com> wrote in message

===========
Vegetarian chili is good too.
Mrs.H

andyh

Jan 31, 2003, 11:04:17 AM1/31/03

> > vegan God daughter does and what is more I never know quite what to feed
her! And she's coming to stay next week......
> > --
> > Sacha
> > www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
============

In the News - Yahoo - Fri Jan 31

Babies' Mental Delay Tied to Moms' Vegan Diet

(AP) - The breast-fed infants of two mothers who did not eat any animal
products, including milk and eggs, developed brain abnormalities as a result
of a vitamin-B12 deficiency, the US Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) reported Thursday.

The primary sources of vitamin B12, which is essential for brain
development, are animal products like meat, dairy products and eggs. Since
the mothers ate little or no animal products, too little vitamin B12 was
transmitted to their children through breast milk, according to the CDC's
Dr. Maria Elena Jefferds
=============

Just in case you run out of things to discuss at dinnertime.:o))
Mrs.H

ALMACKS

Jan 31, 2003, 11:05:43 AM1/31/03
<<Good idea and Ray annd I could have parmesan cheese on ours, too. I'll have
to get the pasta that's not made with egg, which isn't as nice but that
would work. It's beginning to look as if she won't starve after all!>>

Thanks. Enjoy!!

Dana

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 12:17:05 PM1/31/03
in article 58x_9.340$ek4....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, andyh at
ahamste...@earthlink.net wrote on 31/1/03 4:04 pm:

Oh boy, she's going to *love* this visit!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 12:22:22 PM1/31/03
in article 20030131110543...@mb-mk.aol.com, ALMACKS at
alm...@aol.com wrote on 31/1/03 4:05 pm:

And thanks to all of you. You've saved me a lot of worry. I am *not* one
of life's natural cooks and it really does bother me what to give the poor
girl!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

His Jadedness Andy

Jan 31, 2003, 12:51:37 PM1/31/03
>And thanks to all of you. You've saved me a lot of worry. I am *not* one
>of life's natural cooks and it really does bother me what to give the poor
>girl!
>--
>Sacha

You *could* just turn her loose in the garden and let her graze ;)

"May your Morn be bright and sunny, your Noon be warm and clear, your Dusk be
calm and tranquil and your Night without a fear"

His Jadedness, Andy
Known Descendants of Queen Victoria Message Board
http://members3.boardhost.com/KDQV/

Wull

Jan 31, 2003, 1:29:47 PM1/31/03
LOLOL

She doesn't take advice, but that is some good
advice.

Wull

Jean Sue Libkind

Jan 31, 2003, 4:28:27 PM1/31/03
in article 20030131125137...@mb-fb.aol.com, His Jadedness Andy
at agh...@aol.commonMkt wrote on 1/31/03 12:51:

>> And thanks to all of you. You've saved me a lot of worry. I am *not* one
>> of life's natural cooks and it really does bother me what to give the poor
>> girl!
>> --
>> Sacha
>
> You *could* just turn her loose in the garden and let her graze ;)
>

> His Jadedness, Andy

OK. No more wine for the dwarf.

js

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 6:40:36 PM1/31/03
in article 20030131125137...@mb-fb.aol.com, His Jadedness Andy
at agh...@aol.commonMkt wrote on 31/1/03 5:51 pm:

In fact, she and I have joked about that. She has a *fabulous* sense of
humour and knows that I find her eating habits hard to cater for. When she
was at the 'merely' vegetarian stage, I took her and her brother (the one
that got married last w/e) to a Chinese restaurant and she created merry
hell because he used a serving fork for a veggie dish and then for a dish
containing prawns. I lost my limited food-fad patience and threatened to
stand them both in the corner and they dissolved into giggles!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Jan 31, 2003, 6:41:25 PM1/31/03
in article BA6054AB.B566%jea...@bookschlepper.com, Jean Sue Libkind at
jea...@bookschlepper.com wrote on 31/1/03 9:28 pm:

You have NO IDEA how many times I've resisted saying that in the last couple
of days!! Ratlet!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

jflexer

Jan 31, 2003, 5:30:01 PM1/31/03

> in article b1cgs...@enews2.newsguy.com, jflexer at jfl...@fake.aol.com
> wrote on 31/1/03 12:41 am:

> Many good idea! Thanks, Jeff. You do realise this mean *cooking* with a
> capital C, though!

heh heh - in my house 'bout the only time Cooking happens anymore is when I
have guest... then I tend to pull out the stops a bit far... G!

The rest of the time, I'm just plain too tired. If it doesn't come to the
front door fully prepared or straight from the freezer to the microwave - it
doesn't get eaten...

I'm sure your Vegan will have a grand ole time...

-J

jflexer

Jan 31, 2003, 5:38:41 PM1/31/03

> jflexer <jfl...@fake.aol.com> wrote in message
> >

> > While many vegans will also disallow 'prepared processed foods' there
are
> > two great manufacturers of veggie burgers and sausages: Morninstar and
> > Boca. I've eaten most of their stuff (including veggie "chicken
nuggets")
> > very tasty...
> >=============
> I have tasted the prepared veggie burgers in England and didn't care for
> them. The best one ever was from of all places Burger King which is ten
> times better than the one BK has over here. The UK veggie burger is
> seasoned with a hint of curry, plump, moist, and crusty on the outside.

I wouldn't trust burger king to keep them truly vegan... I can see the
headlines "Burger King's veggie burgers made with lard" etc... or they grill
them on the same grill alongside beef - soaking up the lovely beef fat (no
wonder they were good!!)

I believe something similar happened with McDonalds french fries in India -
found out they were infusing either the fry or the oil with beef broth -
appalling to the portions of Indian culture that reveres cows... as well as
vegans world-wide...

oops.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010526/biz.htm#1

http://www.usatoday.com/money/general/2001-05-24-mcdonalds-apology.htm

> > You could also experiment with fruit tart for desert - non-dairy crust
> (sort
> > of a graham-crackery affair),
> =================
> In Brit :o) terms that's a pie base made with digestive biscuits/cookies.
>
> make filling with tapioca and fruit juice, top
> > with berries and glaze with more fruit juice and sugar cooked down...

digestive biscuits?! wow - doesn't sound nearly as yummy to my American
ears... sorta sounds like it would be medicinal! G!

jflexer

Jan 31, 2003, 5:41:48 PM1/31/03

"sacha" <sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Many good idea! Thanks, Jeff. You do realise this mean *cooking* with a
> capital C, though!
> --
> Sacha
> www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sites with recipes:

http://www.famousveggie.com/recipes.cfm

http://www.vegweb.com/food/

http://www.vegsource.com/

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/

www.veganrecipes.com/

and more - google "vegan recipes"

<sigh> no one said being the hostess with the mostess was easy...

-J

jflexer

Jan 31, 2003, 5:45:19 PM1/31/03

"sacha" <sa...@nospamgarden506.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Invite her to join you in the kitchen. Whenever I entertain - half the
party takes place there anyway.

I'll bet she'd be thrilled to help - not only to show you about her diet as
a Vegan, but to also ensure against mistakes like "oops - you mean you can't
eat butter either?!"

andyh

Jan 31, 2003, 11:26:01 PM1/31/03

jflexer>

> I wouldn't trust burger king to keep them truly vegan... I can see the
> headlines "Burger King's veggie burgers made with lard" etc... or they
grill
> them on the same grill alongside beef - soaking up the lovely beef fat (no
> wonder they were good!!)
=========
La la la la la la - with fingers in my ears. I don't want to hear it! :o))
To be honest they didn't have a beef taste at all....think I would have
sussed that, and, they weren't greasy at all. I know they have a stamp of
approval from the Vegetarian Society in the UK. The one I tried here wasn't
anything to write home about, it was my first and last.
Mrs.H
===========

> I believe something similar happened with McDonalds french fries in
India -
> found out they were infusing either the fry or the oil with beef broth -
> appalling to the portions of Indian culture that reveres cows... as well
as
> vegans world-wide...
> oops.

============
I thought Mickey Dees announced in 2002 they were changing from using veg
oil to a synthetic oil which does not contain trans fatty acids......I went
to their US web site for more details and found no reference to that change.
snip

> digestive biscuits?! wow - doesn't sound nearly as yummy to my American
> ears... sorta sounds like it would be medicinal! G!

================
Actually, they're better than Graham Crackers, a little sweeter and not as
dry. This round cookie comes plain, or covered on one side with milk or dark
chocolate. Each store has their own version if I remember correctly, but
the best brand is McVities. IMO
Mrs.H

sacha

Feb 1, 2003, 5:11:08 AM2/1/03
in article b1eu7...@enews3.newsguy.com, jflexer at jfl...@fake.aol.com
wrote on 31/1/03 10:41 pm:

That's terrifically helpful. Thank you very much
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

sacha

Feb 1, 2003, 5:12:18 AM2/1/03
in article b1eue...@enews3.newsguy.com, jflexer at jfl...@fake.aol.com
wrote on 31/1/03 10:45 pm:

Everyone seems to congregate in our kitchen, too. In winter, I think it's
the AGA that's the attraction - people are forever to be found leaning
against its towel rail warming their nether regions!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Susan Cohen

Feb 1, 2003, 11:23:43 PM2/1/03
Piggybacking....

> in article b1cgs...@enews2.newsguy.com, jflexer at jfl...@fake.aol.com
> wrote on 31/1/03 12:41 am:

> Then there
> > is
> >> the grilled Portabello mushroom served on a bun, like a hamburger,
topped
> > up
> >> with sauteed onions......never mind, she probably wouldn't eat the
bread.

Ah - an interesting solution here is to use the portobello itself as the
bun. The filling could be tomato, red onion and sprouts. Or what have you.

SusanC

--
The bunk stops here

Susan Cohen

Feb 1, 2003, 11:39:27 PM2/1/03

> Invite her to join you in the kitchen. Whenever I entertain - half the
> party takes place there anyway.
>
> I'll bet she'd be thrilled to help - not only to show you about her diet
as
> a Vegan, but to also ensure against mistakes like "oops - you mean you
can't
> eat butter either?!"

The reminds me of my first visit to my then future m-i-l's.
"But what if [her husband] forgets & just hrows something into the food? He
never knows what he's doing in the kitchen!"
I remember the hubby's wry look, & off-phone response. "Yeah, I can see it
now; (look of frantic stupidity) er, uh, emmm...(spastic throwing motion)
PORK! (followed by agonized grabbing of head...) I don't know!!!"

His Jadedness Andy

Feb 1, 2003, 11:51:56 PM2/1/03
>Ah - an interesting solution here is to use the portobello itself as the
>bun. The filling could be tomato, red onion and sprouts. Or what have you.
>
>SusanC

That reminds me of a dish Biron did. He used the Portobello as the bun and made
Fried Green Tomato sandwiches one night- really good!

Susan Cohen

Feb 2, 2003, 6:24:49 AM2/2/03

"His Jadedness Andy" <agh...@aol.commonMkt> wrote in message

> >Ah - an interesting solution here is to use the portobello itself as the
> >bun. The filling could be tomato, red onion and sprouts. Or what have
you.

> >SusanC
>
> That reminds me of a dish Biron did. He used the Portobello as the bun and
made
> Fried Green Tomato sandwiches one night- really good!

Oh, does he watch "Iron Chef," too?

Susan

His Jadedness Andy

Feb 2, 2003, 6:48:05 AM2/2/03
>Oh, does he watch "Iron Chef," too?
>
>Susan
>
>--
>The bunk stops here

I don't think we get that here- what channel is it on ( we don't have cable).
I'll ask him where he got the idea, all I know was that I had three of them at
one sitting <G>.

Susan Cohen

Feb 2, 2003, 3:23:26 PM2/2/03

> >Oh, does he watch "Iron Chef," too?
> >
> >Susan
> >
> >--
> >The bunk stops here
>
> I don't think we get that here- what channel is it on ( we don't have
cable).

Horrors!! It's on FoodNetwork.
It's a Japanese cooking game show - who can do the best with the day's
ingredient in an hour.
The funny thing (to come back to topic); they've had a chef who's cooked for
the Thai RF, but not AFAIK none from the Japanese one.