Pointer Sister flees drug rehab

AGC Queen

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
NATIONAL ENQUIRER.....

POP SINGER June Pointer escaped from a drug rehab facility by crawling out a
window, her sister says -- and her family fears she'll die unless she gets
help.

But June, 45, claims she's squeaky clean after kicking a drug addiction!

June's big sister Bonnie tells a different story.

"My baby sister June has been addicted to crack cocaine and sleeping pills for
at least two years," Bonnie Pointer told The ENQUIRER.

"Our entire family is worried sick that unless she cleans up, she'll die."

June insists she's drug-free. "I'd been having panic attacks for more than 10
years and doctors kept prescribing tranquilizers," June said in a recent
interview.

"I was taking three a day and became dependent on them. But now I'm free of
drugs and enjoying life again!"

Ironically, June's panic attacks were triggered by a heart condition called
mitral valve prolapse. Doctors corrected the problem with common medication.

But Bonnie says June recently entered a private rehab facility at a doctor's
home in Beverly Hills at the urging of family members.

"The doctor counsels patients and gives them the care they need at his home,"
says Bonnie.

"One night last week June stuffed her bed with pillows to create a dummy.

"When the doctor checked on her, he thought she was asleep. But June had
crawled out a window and run off into the night barefoot!

"We searched the streets for her for days, called friends and even considered
calling the police.

"Finally, June called our sister, Anita, and said that she was O.K."

After family members again begged her to get help, June agreed to check into
the highly regarded Promises rehab on May 20. But she never showed up, says
Bonnie.

To make matters worse, June lost her home after drug-using pals robbed her
blind.

"June let anyone, including drug abusers, stay in her home," Bonnie reveals.

"She liked having other drug users around so they could party together.

"But recently her house guests pulled up with a moving van and loaded it up
with all June's belongings, money and jewelry.

"They wiped her out -- and she lost her home after 27 years.

"I love June with all my heart. But her battle with drugs is something she must
win alone.

"I hope and pray that she gets herself into rehab."

Send email to: PUSSS...@aol.com

Master of All I See

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
For what it's worth, they quote Bonnie mostly in this story.
Bonnie was not one of the "real" Pointer Sisters. The group was
comprised of Ruth, Anita and June.

IIRC, there used to be some sort of rift between Bonnie and the
other sisters.

Not that this means anything.

Steve <----------------- I sure am a child of the 80s.

Michael Ritchie

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Master of All I See wrote:

> For what it's worth, they quote Bonnie mostly in this story.
> Bonnie was not one of the "real" Pointer Sisters. The group was
> comprised of Ruth, Anita and June.

Not quite. Actually, Bonnie was part of the group in the
beginning, singing on their first four albums and
on the first few hits ("Yes We Can Can," "Fairytale,"
and "How Long"). She quit just before "Jump"
made them superstars (for a few years, anyway).

BTW, their first album, with "Yes We Can Can," is
very good, and quite different from the almost
bubblegummy stuff they did later. And I love
Bonnie's only solo hit, "Heaven Must Have
Sent You."

> Steve <----------------- I sure am a child of the 80s.

--M., a child of the 60s, 70's and 80s

GO8GO

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
<<For what it's worth, they quote Bonnie mostly in this story.
Bonnie was not one of the "real" Pointer Sisters. The group was
comprised of Ruth, Anita and June.

IIRC, there used to be some sort of rift between Bonnie and the
other sisters.

Not that this means anything.>>

Bonnie left the group to pursue a solo career at Motown and the Pointer Sisters
had their greatest success as a trio with songs like "Jump" and "I'm So
Excited." BTW, the stories about the Pointer Sisters' problems with drugs are
old hat. The stories have been around for at least ten years.

Goldrivet

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Go8go noted:

>BTW, the stories about the Pointer Sisters' problems with drugs are
>old hat. The stories have been around for at least ten years.

And remember the urban legend that the Sisters were actually all men?

Butch

GO8GO

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
>BTW, the stories about the Pointer Sisters' problems with drugs are
>old hat. The stories have been around for at least ten years.

And remember the urban legend that the Sisters were actually all men?>>

God, how could I forget that one. Do you remember that video for "I'm So
Excited" where, I believe it was June, emerged from a bathtub with a towel
covering her upper body, but with her pubic hair clearly on view? I guess that
was to disprove the myth.

jmv...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Every word must be true if the Enquirer says so! I hate reading stuff
like that if I don't trust the source.

"Sometimes you have to be a bitch to get things done" - Madonna

Orynarual

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
I remember June Pointer was
having problems in the 70s and
it was thought she would never be
in the group. However, she did....and
then Bonnie left. And from what I understand, Bonnie had her problems
also.

No?

florianm...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2014, 4:54:22 PM12/24/14
That's stupid I don't know where you been they are tall women but they don't look or act like men what ever legend you've heard is dumb Ruth the oldest with the deep voice has given birth to 5 kids.

tootie...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2019, 6:01:51 AM6/25/19
Wrong. Bonnie was in the group, she and June founded the group and dubbed it Pointer au pair. Later Anita and Ruth joined and they, the four of them, became the Pointer sisters.