Cynthia Basinet: Ten years of being Santa's Baby

dreams...@earthlink.net

Dec 23, 2007, 11:57:05 PM12/23/07
"If you're doing it right, it's more than a cover. It's going to be
reinvented," says Cynthia Basinet about the art of a cover song and
her Christmas classic.
-Marc Soucy

Humanitarian, singer, actress, activist, model and mother, Cynthia
Basinet is running for office this Christmas. Not really, but she sure
could. For now she celebrates the 10th anniversary of her hit single
"Santa Baby".
The Christmas classic, originally sung by Eartha Kitt in 1953, has
been covered countless times.One of the most notable renditions is
Marilyn Monroe's.
CORRECTION: Fans of the download and of the Xmas homemade compilation,
kindly correct the misprint in your repertoire. A surprise to many,
the version is Miss Basinet's 1997 recording often wrongly credited to
Monroe who never recorded the tune.
Aside from being famous for her ties to jolly old St. Nick, the fiery
bombshell made a name for herself as a model and an actress. But it's
her voice that has garnered acclaim.
A voice can be a terrible thing to waste and Basinet lives by that
thought. Using her voice she has become determined to bring awareness
and attention to West Sahara refugees. One step further, the sultry
songstress visited Africa to lend a physical hand where she could. In
2005 her efforts were recognized when she was nominated for a Nobel
Peace Prize.
With 2007 coming to an end, the artist continues to use the internet
to make her music accessible to fans. She has independently released
her EP Uncovered bypassing music industry red tape and restrictions.
For Basinet, releasing music online just seems appropriate. After all,
it's where her "Santa Baby" was born.

You have a new EP now available online?

It's called Uncovered. It started with a single and we put three more.
Most people download songs by two anyway. The first song is "Blue
Moon" revisited but kept as a smooth standard with a flute duet in it.
"Going Out Of My Head" has a great beat and is hip and contemporary.
The last one is "Sweet Dreams" a cover of Patsy Cline's cover. It's a
little more country, not because I'm trying to cross over but because
it's one of my favourite songs

What was it about jazz that pulled you in?

I was raised playing instruments. One was the flute and the other the
sax. With the sax I learned jazz and the flute I learned classical. It
was just as natural as breathing. Jazz just did it ... There was
always some jazz in the background. When I started paying attention, I
remember Billy Holiday's "Strange Fruit".

How do you define jazz to a new generation?

Jazz is America's roots. It's rooted in trouble, it's rooted in drugs,
in self-expression, in love. It gets into people's minds and into
their hearts. Jazz is America's heart beat.
Continued...
http://media.www.theconcordian.com/media/storage/paper290/news/2007/12/04/Music/Cynthia.Basinet.Ten.Years.Of.Being.Santas.Baby-3131468.shtml

LidsvilleNine

Dec 24, 2007, 12:04:55 AM12/24/07
On Dec 23, 10:57 pm, dreamsvil...@earthlink.net wrote:
> "If you're doing it right, it's more than a cover. It's going to be
> reinvented," says Cynthia Basinet about the art of a cover song and
> her Christmas classic.
> -Marc Soucy
>
> Humanitarian, singer, actress, activist, model and mother, Cynthia
> Basinet is running for office this Christmas. Not really, but she sure
> could. For now she celebrates the 10th anniversary of her hit single
> "Santa Baby".

There's just no excuse for this song, I'd like to hear "Santa's Baby
got run over by Rudolph on the way to Grandma's House.