Berle's son pens unflattering book

Donald L Ferry

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
Milton Berle's estranged son, Bill, is peddling to publishers a
tell-all memoir that says his father had affairs with Lucille Ball,
Marilyn Monroe, Veronica Lake, Betty Hutton, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamar
and (drum roll) Nancy Reagan. The book, "Near You," also claims that
Berle was an absentee father, chronic gambler, and "domestic tyrant" -
in addition to being a womanizer - says the New York Post.

Berle's 90th birthday is on the horizon, and Bill, 36 hasn't been
invited to any of the celebrations.

Wull

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
I do not recall seeing Berle's name among the many posts
about the biggest womanizers. No one can deny that he did
it longer than anyone else. LOL But is it believable?

Wull

TonyV82569

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
There are just some people about whom it's easier to believe claims they're
S.O.B.'s in their personal lives. Berle has always seemed to be one, IMO.

ClubBand

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
>I do not recall seeing Berle's name among the many posts
>about the biggest womanizers. No one can deny that he did
>it longer than anyone else. LOL But is it believable?

I've heard his penis size is legendary among male celebrities. Don't ask me how
big, I don't want to know.

Miz Edwina

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
wolfbat wrote:

<<Milton Berle's estranged son, Bill, is peddling to publishers a
tell-all memoir that says his father had affairs with Lucille Ball,
Marilyn Monroe, Veronica Lake, Betty Hutton, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamar
and (drum roll) Nancy Reagan. The book, "Near You," also claims that
Berle was an absentee father, chronic gambler, and "domestic tyrant" -
in addition to being a womanizer - says the New York Post.

Berle's 90th birthday is on the horizon, and Bill, 36 hasn't been
invited to any of the celebrations.>>

OK, who is the mother of Bill? Didn't Berle supposedly have an illegimate son
who was well known in Hollywood? I forget the story...someone please explain
it.

Heightsman

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
>OK, who is the mother of Bill?

MB's Third Wife, Ruth Rosenthal Cosgrove.
(Wife Nos. 1 and 2 was Joyce Matthews, who later married Billy Rose twice too).

From the way he wrote of her in his auto bio, I find the womanizing stories
hard to believe in that the late Mrs. Berle doesn't sond like the kind of lady
who would have tolerated it.

>Didn't Berle supposedly have an illegimate son who was well known in
Hollywood?

According to Berle, in the late 40's he was in Hollyweird shtupping some
starlet that he wanted to marry. He got her preggers and the starlet married a
big movie exec and passed the kid off as his. Years later, the "kid" became a
big TV producer. From the details in the book, I thought the illiegit son was
James Womack, producer of Welcome Back Kotter and Chico and the Man. However he
died recently and his bio on the I-net doesn't fit the time frame.

Anyway the starlet became a drunk who walked into the desert one day and was
never seen again.

Syvyn11

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98

ClubBand wrote in message
<199807080006...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>I've heard his penis size is legendary among male celebrities. Don't ask me
how
>big, I don't want to know.
As once said by Uncle Milte to Howard Stern. "Take yours out, and I'll
take out enough to beat you."

marc goldstein

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
You beat me to the punch...that's exactly what Berle said to Stern,
although, from what Stern says about his manhood, Berle would not have
much of a challenge.

Heightsman

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

>Thank you, Heightsman. When you said James Komack, it all started to come
>back
>to me. He was born in 1927 which, of course, would have made him too old for
>this blind item.

The son was born around 1939. It couldn't have been James Komack, and I was so
sure!

It has to be the producer of a show in the 70's who produced another show the
next year with a role that would have been perfect for Milton Berle. Komack
produced Welcome back Kotter, which was quickly followed up by Chico and the
Man. Unle Milty would have been perfect for the Jack Albertson role.
Perhaps J.K. had a younger partner?

By the way, James Komack was also an actor. He played "Norman the Photographer"
in The COurtship of Eddy's Father" on TV. Who knew he was that old? 71!

>btw - Do you remember the title of the book that this story
>came out of?

"Milton Berle" by Milton Berle with co-author Haskel Frankel.

>James Burrows but all the clues don't match him either.

No. His father wasn't a producer. He was actor and director Abe Burrows.

Miz Edwina

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Heightsman wrote:

<<The son was born around 1939. It couldn't have been James Komack, and I was
so
sure!

It has to be the producer of a show in the 70's who produced another show the
next year with a role that would have been perfect for Milton Berle. Komack
produced Welcome back Kotter, which was quickly followed up by Chico and the
Man. Unle Milty would have been perfect for the Jack Albertson role.
Perhaps J.K. had a younger partner?

By the way, James Komack was also an actor. He played "Norman the Photographer"
in The COurtship of Eddy's Father" on TV. Who knew he was that old? 71!

Thanks for replying, Heightsman. But, I am confused. Please help me here. I
thought you said the alledged affair happened in the late forties? If it's
1939, then the "kid" is closer to 60 now. Which is it? btw - Yes, I do remember
"Uncle Norman".

Boffman

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
>Thanks for replying, Heightsman. But, I am confused. Please help me here. I
>thought you said the alledged affair happened in the late forties? If it's
>1939, then the "kid" is closer to 60 now.

Yeah. He was born around 1939.

Miz Edwina

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
<<>Thanks for replying, Heightsman. But, I am confused. Please help me here. I
>thought you said the alledged affair happened in the late forties? If it's
>1939, then the "kid" is closer to 60 now.

Boffman wrote:
<<Yeah. He was born around 1939.>>

OK. The son would have to be a famous producer of '70s sitsoms who would be
around 60 yrs old. How about these 2 names? Is it possible that either one of
these 2 men could fit the blind item? I don't know.

James L. Brooks?
Jay Tarses?