Shawn Masters, Hypnotist

hmr...@hotmail.com

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
The World's Most Famous Hypnotist!!!

Hypnotist of the Stars - Definitely an AAAA Show - He is Genuis or Magician
or both - Only show invited to the White House - Holds all "Held Over" Show
business records throughout the world - only hypnotist of Record ever to be
endorsed by a Hypnotic Guild - Most Laughter ever recorded in any show
Business Medium - The Greatest Entertainer of them all - Shows are
impressively mysterious and hilarious - Amazing? Awe-inspiring? Yes!
Thrilling? Yes!

Those were the times.

If there is anybody out there that remembers Shawn, please get in touch with
me. He has done so much for you all out there, now is the time for you to
let him know how you are doing with what he has taught you.

Thank you,
Helga Reich

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

brooksau...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2013, 1:51:39 AM3/30/13
I met and learned from Shawn in 1980 in Atlanta GA and have been thinking of him and using hypnosis still.Thanks

jktor...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2013, 10:06:44 PM7/6/13
My mother, sister and I all attended Shawn's meetings in the early 80s in ATL. We have tried to find him many times and today found your post. We still talk about our amazing experiences. We would love an update! Thanks so much for posting!

glennb...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2014, 10:41:26 PM3/21/14
I was a student of his in 1985 in Atlanta. I had just earned a degree in physics and went to his open to the public session to uncover how he was performing his illusions. Boy was I in for a surprise.

After that night I became a student for several months. So amazing what he could do and what he taught us about ourselves.

glennb...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2014, 10:45:28 PM3/21/14
It was 1984 not 1985.

glenn2...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 6:43:02 PM12/30/14
Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious. Everyone has been fooled by that clown Helga--multiple marriages, divorces, sleazy and not a nice person. I know this from his daughters and former wives.

hon...@iinet.net.au

Jul 3, 2015, 11:10:49 PM7/3/15
On Wednesday, 31 December 2014 10:43:02 UTC+11, glenn2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious.
On Wednesday, 31 December 2014 10:43:02 UTC+11, glenn2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious. Everyone has been fooled by that clown Helga--multiple marriages, divorces, sleazy and not a nice person. I know this from his daughters and former wives.

Whatever Shawn may be as an individual, he was certainly no fraud when it came to hypnosis. And his marvellous showmanship speaks for itself. In March 1973 he came to Australia, and I did his course over three weekends, with my four young daughters aged 6 to 12. Shawn actually pinned my eldest daughter to another volunteer (a young man) with a 6"kilt pin through their forearms, after getting both of them to put in certain suggestions to stop pain, bleeding, etc. (he was demonstrating the efficacy of our suggestions). My daughter showed no sign of having been pierced by a kilt pin, but the young man had forgotten to put in a suggestion to stop any bleeding, and he did bleed a bit. That course with Shawn quite possibly saved my life, because I was suicidal after having left a homicidal husband just a few weeks beforehand. I was destitute, and my beliefs and values around marriage and life had been totally shattered.

Since then, I've mainly used self-hypnosis for physical problems like bleeding, pain, bruising, burns, and such. I've never had any anaesthetic for dentistry, and this includes a root canal on a double molar (over 4 hours), and 6 double molars plus a few others extracted (unknown to me - before it was too late - my jawbone was disintegrating and I lost perfectly good teeth).

Like I said, whatever Shawn was in his private life, he has empowered many people - and possibly saved lives - with his work.

Flem Hawkings

Jul 4, 2015, 1:58:30 AM7/4/15
I saw him pin the heads of two midgets together wing a pneumatic staple
gun. One midget whined a little, but they quieted him down by giving him
dog biscuits. Later, under self hypnosis, I removed my own appendix,
twice. I was able to squeeze my hemorrhoids into little nubs like tiny
raisins with
very little or no discomfort, I can't remember which.

fsi...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2016, 7:54:04 PM1/27/16
On Wednesday, April 14, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, hmr...@hotmail.com wrote:
> The World's Most Famous Hypnotist!!!
>
> Hypnotist of the Stars - Definitely an AAAA Show - He is Genuis or Magician
> or both - Only show invited to the White House - Holds all "Held Over" Show
> business records throughout the world - only hypnotist of Record ever to be
> endorsed by a Hypnotic Guild - Most Laughter ever recorded in any show
> Business Medium - The Greatest Entertainer of them all - Shows are
> impressively mysterious and hilarious - Amazing? Awe-inspiring? Yes!
> Thrilling? Yes!
>
> Those were the times.
>
> If there is anybody out there that remembers Shawn, please get in touch with
> me. He has done so much for you all out there, now is the time for you to
> let him know how you are doing with what he has taught you.
>
> Thank you,
> Helga Reich
>

> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****I took Shawn Masters self hypnosis class in the 1980's. I would like to connect with some past students that are successfully using his teachings. Please email me at fsi...@earthlink.net. I have gotten some good results but would still like to attain more self hypnosis mastery. Wish I could find another master hypnotist of his caliber to troubleshoot questions with.

fsi...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2016, 7:55:19 PM1/27/16
On Wednesday, April 14, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, hmr...@hotmail.com wrote:
> The World's Most Famous Hypnotist!!!
>
> Hypnotist of the Stars - Definitely an AAAA Show - He is Genuis or Magician
> or both - Only show invited to the White House - Holds all "Held Over" Show
> business records throughout the world - only hypnotist of Record ever to be
> endorsed by a Hypnotic Guild - Most Laughter ever recorded in any show
> Business Medium - The Greatest Entertainer of them all - Shows are
> impressively mysterious and hilarious - Amazing? Awe-inspiring? Yes!
> Thrilling? Yes!
>
> Those were the times.
>
> If there is anybody out there that remembers Shawn, please get in touch with
> me. He has done so much for you all out there, now is the time for you to
> let him know how you are doing with what he has taught you.
>
> Thank you,
> Helga Reich
>

> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

How do i get in touch with you? My email address is fsi...@earthlink.net

fsi...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2016, 7:57:15 PM1/27/16
On Friday, March 21, 2014 at 10:41:26 PM UTC-4, glennb...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was a student of his in 1985 in Atlanta. I had just earned a degree in physics and went to his open to the public session to uncover how he was performing his illusions. Boy was I in for a surprise.
>
> After that night I became a student for several months. So amazing what he could do and what he taught us about ourselves.

I was a student of Shawn Masters too. i would like to collaborate with you regarding what he taught us. My email address is fsi...@earthlink.net

crai...@yahoo.com

Nov 13, 2016, 6:37:20 PM11/13/16

crai...@yahoo.com

Nov 13, 2016, 6:37:25 PM11/13/16
I'm not sure of your name, I saw where you posted something about Shawn masters.
My name is Craig Hodges, I am making a documentary and the main characters were students of Shawn's. I am looking for any video of Shawn Masters because whatever he did worked! I'm sure you can attest to this, what he did worked so well that it changed their lives. The main characters were a married couple that studied with Shawn. They used the technique for many things, the main reason was to have enhanced strength for a sailboat journey around the world. This was the late 70's and the boat trip was cut short by a hurricane in Hawaii. A long story later, the two were in an impossible situation. Gary had to fake his death to avoid prison. We are from Arkansas, and this takes place in a small town of 1400 where both were born and raised. To fake your own death in a small town, how? Sally was left to explain when Gary allegedly jumped off the bridge. She used the hypnosis to believe he had really jumped off the bridge. It worked so well that her mother, who was best friends with the prison doctors wife, convinced her friends husband to give Sally truth serum! Sodium pentothal for crying out loud, right out of the movies! Sally's mother did not believe Gary would ever commit suicide, so much so that she did this! I can't find much about Shawn, only an article or two. I had hoped you may be able to tell me a little bit more about him, or some more details so i could research it on my own. Please let me know, thanks.

Craig Hodges

crai...@yahoo.com

Nov 13, 2016, 6:38:55 PM11/13/16

garret...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 7:24:14 PM5/17/17
Here's an article about him I wrote for the Harvard student newspaper in 1969: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1970/2/28/when-you-awake-you-will-remember/

garret...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 7:25:31 PM5/17/17

valusco...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 3:06:08 AM11/22/17
Hi everyone !
I was also a student of Shawn's for about 2 years back in the mid 80s. ~'83 to '85 I think. I got to know him because of my mother, Emmy Lou, who was the director of education at Northside Hospital in Atlanta back then, and she got to know Shawn when he was involved with the hospital and was working with the terminally ill patients and using hypnosis to help reduce their pain.
I started attending his Atlanta classes with my mom at first, then when he started another class up in Greenville South Carolina, I went to those too, as I was going to a University there. He helped me raise my grade point average from a D to a B. I also remember the time when I had to have my wisdom teeth out, and he video taped the anesthesia-free procedure. The wisdom teeth were impacted, and I had all four out at once. The oral surgeon was named Dr. Black, who my mother knew very well (she was also an RN) and the Dr.'s office was located across the street from Northside at the Johnson Ferry Rd. and Peachtree Dunwoody intersection. Anyway, the surgery went really well, and I felt good enough to eat a heaping plate of spaghetti that night, just a few hours after surgery. And then the next night we had Shawn's hypnosis class, and afterwards we all went to dinner afterwards. (remember how Shawn liked to eat and never missed a meal?) I had several crunchy tacos that evening and had no problem eating. During dinner I remember Shawn had me give a little speech to everybody and tell them all about it. I had zero pain, very little bleeding, and no "chipmunk cheek" swelling of my face that always occurs after that kind of surgery. Skeptics can say Shawn was just a con-man and claim that I didn't feel any pain because it was "all in my head", but I challenge them to explain how in the hell I had absolutely no swelling of my face whatsoever after that surgery where the Dr had to slice away at my gums and then rip four 3/4" of an inch long teeth, half of which had multiple live roots, out of my jaw bone using nothing more than a tool that looked like a pair of pliers. The trauma to tissue and jaw bone was extensive. So how in the world did I have no swelling, huh ? Shawn gave me the suggestion, under a very deep trance state, that there would be no swelling. That's how, Mr Smarty skeptic man.
One very memorable thing I remember about the procedure was that all the nurses at Dr. Black's office were captivated by my anesthesia-free wisdom tooth extraction, and after my procedure they all wanted to be hypnotized too. I think Shawn ended up hypnotizing every nurse in Dr. Black's office that day.
There was also another patient who was in the next room to mine, and she was having a root canal or something, and that lady patient was absolutely going bananas and climbing the walls. She was having a panic attack/ meltdown, and was literally fighting off the Dr. whenever he tried put his fingers in her mouth. Shawn saw this and offered to help Dr. Black, he really had no choice but to let Shawn try... and sure enough, he put her "under" in short order, and she totally relaxed. Dr. Black was then finally able to work on her. He was very impressed, and between the Dr and the 5 or 6 nurses there, Shawn had quite a few converts and believers in hypnosis after that.
I also remember seeing him do countless hypnotic regressions in class, and I know he DID help a lot of people who had some very serious issues. One that stands out in my mind was a heavy lady who was a regular at class, and she had an over-eating issue that ended up being tied to low self esteem, and while under regression, it turned out the cause was that she had been molested when she was a little girl. Does anyone else remember the class that night? She lost a lot of weight and was happy as a clam following that.
As far as these comments here regarding alleged immoral and unethical behavior by Shawn, I really don't know anything about that, and this is the first I've heard such awful things about him. I never knew much about his personal life, but a couple of years after Shawn stopped holding his Greenville classes, I do remember hearing from my mother that he had left his wife and "ran off" I guess you could say, with a young lady who was one of his assistants from that 80's Atlanta era. I forget her name, but she had a very weak chin, and he helped her get surgery to correct that. It was drastic surgery and involved breaking the chin bone and resetting it. They had to wire her jaw in place for quite a while, and I remember seeing her in class all wired-up like that.
As far as all of his boasting and wild claims, like holding the World's record for the most held-over shows and knocking Phyllis Diller out of that spot, I do remember thinking at the time that he was either telling the truth or full of a lot of hot air, but it didn't really matter to me because he WAS really that good of a hypnotist, and after being around him for 2 years, I did witness a lot of incredible stuff, and I saw him help a lot of people. Sure, the "standing on the stomach of a woman who was laid across the backs of 2 chairs" is an old stage trick, but I saw a LOT of other stuff that can't be easily debunked. Who else remembers the needles through the arm ? Then there was the "gluing" a person to the floor and unable to be lifted (which is a well known phenomena to practitioners of a martial art called "Aikido", of which I am one), then there was the fake "hot coin" on the skin causing a burn, ...and so many more. Of course there are my own personal experiences too.
I still use the skills that he taught me, pretty much on a weekly basis, and I hypnotize others on occasion. I still continue to practice my hypnosis induction scripts, and a few years ago I even had a website up with some free inductions people could listen to.
For what it is worth, I'm glad I got to know him on a professional level and learn from him. He gave me some valuable skills and charged very little money... I think it was about $50 a week or something like that back in the 80's....
All I know is that Shawn made my life better, and I saw him with my own eyes help a lot of other people too. And he never tried to "con" me, or anybody else I knew. As far as allegations of him being a, um well, a pervert, I do not know -I know very little about his personal life. But the old adage "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" has served me pretty well so far.

It's nice to know other people are out there who still think about him and remember those days... going to those classes and meeting so many nice people is a fondly remembered time in my life too... remember "zoo sleep"? (he would always make any suggestion trigger phrase with 2 words that would never be used together in normal conversation) - And remember that suggestion against "highway hypnosis" he always gave us ? It has been over 30 years and my eyes STILL don't go drowsy on me when I'm behind the wheel!

- It's nice to hear from (most) of you all,.. Take care everybody !!
TIM FABER, ATLANTA

jjohns...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 3:47:05 PM4/8/18

jjohns...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 3:51:13 PM4/8/18
On Friday, March 21, 2014 at 9:41:26 PM UTC-5, glennb...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was a student of his in 1985 in Atlanta. I had just earned a degree in physics and went to his open to the public session to uncover how he was performing his illusions. Boy was I in for a surprise.
>
> After that night I became a student for several months. So amazing what he could do and what he taught us about ourselves.

What do you know about Shawn Masters? Where was he from? What was his age when you met him? To your knowledge did he ever live in CA? To your knowledge was he originally from NY? In 1963 I knew someone who renamed himself Shawn Masters and became a hypnotist in CA. I heard he had considerable success doing shows. He was actually a jeweler and a great con artist.

garret...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2018, 4:51:55 PM8/18/18
https://dev.thecrimson.com/article/1970/2/28/when-you-awake-you-will-remember/

I saw him perform when I was I college and reported on it.

gpeh...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 8:40:35 PM5/27/19
Helga, my name is Gregory Hannan, I met Dr Shawn Masters when I was young and he lived next door to my family. I was his Student and learned much from him. I was friends with his first wife Dotty who died and his second Patty who he met at Las Vegas while performing there. I am happy to chat further about him. Regards Greg Hannan

gpeh...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 8:46:19 PM5/27/19
On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 at 9:43:02 AM UTC+10, glenn2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious. Everyone has been fooled by that clown Helga--multiple marriages, divorces, sleazy and not a nice person. I know this from his daughters and former wives.

My name is Gregory Hannan, a "fraud" you say and you learned this from his from his daughters and former wives. A nonsense! I met Dr Shawn Masters when I was young and he lived next door to my family in North Ryde, Sydney Australia. I was his Student and learned much from him. I was friends with his first wife Dotty who died of Breast Cancer and he looked after her until her death. She had a Radical Mastectomy in Manly Base Hospital performed by Dr Hobson and Shawn placed her under hypnosis and no drugs used for the surgery. This made Shawn famous in Australia and was written up in every woman's magazine and 60 minutes there. How do I know this - I filmed the surgery at age 15. I was great friends with his second Patty who he met at Las Vegas while performing there. Patty also looked after Dotty who was her close friend and confidant until her death. So I guess that blows the self serving comments from you and your mates out of the water as mere hearsay! I am happy to chat further about him. Regards Greg Hannan

gpeh...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 8:48:45 PM5/27/19
Is this all for real? Gregory Hannan is my name - former Australian Student and close friend of Dr Shawn Masters for a decade.

gpeh...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 8:52:56 PM5/27/19
****************************

My name is Gregory Hannan, a "fraud" you say and you learned this from his from his daughters and former wives. A nonsense! I met Dr Shawn Masters when I was young and he lived next door to my family in North Ryde, Sydney Australia. I was his Student and learned much from him for almost 10 years. I was friends with his first wife Dotty who died of Breast Cancer and he looked after her until her death. She had a Radical Mastectomy in Manly Base Hospital performed by Dr Hobson and Shawn placed her under hypnosis and no drugs used for the surgery. This made Shawn famous in Australia and was written up in every woman's magazine and 60 minutes there. How do I know this - I filmed the surgery at age 15. My Mother Joy Hannan was his Secretary and he used her in exactly the same way as you describe as an example of Hypnosis and he stood on her tummy between two chairs, put hot needled through her arms and regressed her back to her childhood and got her to write her name on paper... etc.... all of this you have seen. I was great friends with his second Patty who he met at Las Vegas while performing there. Patty also looked after Dotty who was her close friend and confidant until her death. I have read some of the hearsay about Shawn in these posts, but I know the facts as I lived through them as his neighbor, friend and student, as did all of my family. I am happy to chat further about him. I am happy to chat more about this great man..... Regards Greg Hannan

gpeh...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 9:03:16 PM5/27/19
*****************

My name is Gregory Hannan. I met Shawn when I was 14 in North Ryde Sydney Australia. He was my next door neighbor and he lived there with his first wife Dotty and second wife Patty who were great friend until Dotty's death from Breast Cancer. Shawn looked after Dotty with Patty's help because he loved her and she had no one to care for her. So I guess that throws cold water on the negative comments some people have made about Shawn's character in some posts. You are right in many of your observations. Shaw taught Self Hypnosis Courses in Australia and became famous there for medical and personal self help reasons. There is no doubt that he was an attractive man to many many women and of course he was liked by many men who respected him for his teachings and help. I saw many women throw themselves at him and of course like any human (male) he was tempted from time to time. However his second young wife Patty kept good council with Shawn and they survived many such encounters which I witnessed and assisted with because I was his Student and trusted neighbor.
They eventually went back to the US and that history you know. Many people here are not aware of Shawns life in Australia and what he did for his first wife Dotty to her death. Happy to chat further about this part of my life with Dr Shawn Masters. Greg Hannan ma...@gregoryhannan.com

Miloch

May 27, 2019, 9:49:36 PM5/27/19
In article <45b89914-8440-49be...@googlegroups.com>,
gpeh...@gmail.com says...

>On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:10:49 PM UTC+10, hon...@iinet.net.au wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 31 December 2014 10:43:02 UTC+11, glenn2...@gmail.com wrot=
>e:
>>=20
>> Since then, I've mainly used self-hypnosis for physical problems like ble=
>eding, pain, bruising, burns, and such. I've never had any anaesthetic for =
>dentistry, and this includes a root canal on a double molar (over 4 hours),=
> and 6 double molars plus a few others extracted (unknown to me - before it=
> was too late - my jawbone was disintegrating and I lost perfectly good tee=
>th

Sounds like you were brushing with Colgate...that shit's garbage! You need to
switch over to Crest...9 out of 10 dentists recommend it.

*

>> Like I said, whatever Shawn was in his private life, he has empowered man=

garret...@gmail.com

May 16, 2020, 11:40:33 AM5/16/20
Here's a discussion of Masters's act and family in a manuscript about the life of his son, Michael Glynn. It quotes (p. 121) from an account I wrote for my college newspaper of a performance of his in Boston. I can tell you from being present and interviewing subjects that the hypnosis Masters used was definitely real. I remember one young woman who was a subject and complied with all his suggestions. Between times he would send her back into the audience, where I talked to her. She told me that she was unable not to respond to his triggers but that she didn't like him and thought he was creepy. At the end of the show, he hypnotized all the volunteers one last time and told them clearly that they had enjoyed the show, that they were his friends, that they liked him and would tell their friends to come see him. After he woke them up I asked the girl what she thought of him now. She sighed, "He's WONDERFUL!"

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b29f0517c93277ca7c0ec9e/t/5d2bf918bb7083000127e13f/1563162950318/Preaching+to+the+Perverted+-+The+Life+and+Times+of+Michael+Glynn.pdf

Miloch

May 16, 2020, 12:15:27 PM5/16/20
In article <609a89d6-6fef-4422...@googlegroups.com>,
garret...@gmail.com says...

>Here's a discussion of Masters's act and family in a manuscript about the l=
>ife of his son, Michael Glynn. It quotes (p. 121) from an account I wrote f=
>or my college newspaper of a performance of his in Boston. I can tell you f=
>rom being present and interviewing subjects that the hypnosis Masters used =
>was definitely real. I remember one young woman who was a subject and compl=
>ied with all his suggestions. Between times he would send her back into the=
> audience, where I talked to her. She told me that she was unable not to re=
>spond to his triggers but that she didn't like him and thought he was creep=
>y. At the end of the show, he hypnotized all the volunteers one last time a=
>nd told them clearly that they had enjoyed the show, that they were his fri=
>ends, that they liked him and would tell their friends to come see him. Aft=
>er he woke them up I asked the girl what she thought of him now. She sighed=
>, "He's WONDERFUL!"
>
>https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b29f0517c93277ca7c0ec9e/t/5d2bf918b=
>b7083000127e13f/1563162950318/Preaching+to+the+Perverted+-+The+Life+and+Tim=
>es+of+Michael+Glynn.pdf

Interesting, Garrett...very similar to the hypnosis Trump performs on those in
the lower end of the intelligence/intellectual scale...

*

Garrett Epps

May 18, 2020, 5:52:42 PM5/18/20
If you have found video, I would be interested in seeing it. I have a very vivid memory of seeing Masters in Boston--it's written up in my college newspaper, the link is above.

68patrick1

Sep 9, 2020, 5:03:08 AM9/9/20

68patrick1

Sep 9, 2020, 5:51:26 AM9/9/20
During the early to mid 70's, Shawn Masters came to Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, and set up self-hypnosis courses from a hall there. My then husband and I signed up for the course, which took place over 3 or 4 weekends. Shawn was very charasmatic and powerful, and his scholars were devoted to him. Once you finished the course, you could continue to come back each weekend and continue to participate, which resulted in maybe 100 people or more crammed into the hall.

I was quite the non-believer in hypnosis when I first started. However, I learned such a lot and realised how amazing our minds are. I've continued to use self-hypnosis from time to time for the rest of my life. Some people are much more suggestible than others, which we discovered with my husband who would take on any suggestions Shawn specifically made to others. Shawn explained that this could be quite dangerous and he needed to become more closed. He never did quite manage to do so.

One day some young hecklers came to the hall, calling out that Shawn was a charlatan and obviously paying some people to react to his so-called suggestions. Shawn asked them how many people they thought he could pay. They didn't really know, so he asked if they thought he'd l paid everyone in the hall. Of course not they said, just a few to make him look good. Shawn then said "sleep everyone" and about 100 people hit the deck - we fell off benches, tables, slipped from leaning against the walls! It really was quite amazing. Those hecklers took off and never returned.

One thing I learned, am totally convinced of, is that under hypnosis people can lie and can carry out bad behaviour or acts that they never would normally consider. Those people who say you can't be hypnotised into doing something you don't want to do are not correct. If you're a susceptible subject and the hypnotist has skills like Shawn Masters, anything is possible - in a good sense and in a very bad sense.

Shawn was very compelling and very authorative. He held sway over so many people - he was probably one of the greatest hypnotists ever. However, Shawn's Canberra experience came to an abrupt end when it was discovered that he was hypnotising some young women (during private sessions) to take part in sexual games with him. One of the young women suspected something was not right and one night resisted his suggestions, pretending to go along with it. Overnight Shawn was gone - I don't know where he went but I believe he fled the country.

If anyone knows what actually happened to Shawn Masters after that, I'd like to hear.

Glenn Bailey

Oct 12, 2020, 10:34:53 AM10/12/20
Tim Faber et al,

I too was a student of Shawn's in Atlanta in '84. I initially went to see his "amazing night of proof" to debunk him as I had just earned a degree in Physics and knew I would see through his "magic". Obviously I had a different experience than I expected.

Tim I am responding to your comment "standing on the stomach of a woman who was laid across the backs of 2 chairs is an old stage trick". While there are certainly "tricks" to doing this feat, it was no Trick when Shawn did it. I know this for two reasons. 1) I was there at the chair when he did it and 2) I did it myself. Shortly after my first couple weeks of class with him I was at a small dinner party with friends and the subject of hypnosis came up. Now I had never been the subject of the two chair experience just an observer but I thought why not. So I put myself under using Shawn's technique and my buddies lifted me onto two chairs supporting only my neck and the tips of my ankles. My buddy, who weighed about 200 lbs, stepped up on my stomach and stayed there about 5 minutes. I had given myself the suggesting that my body was a giant steel I-Beam that stretched all the way around the world. When my buddy stepped on my stomach it felt like I was lying on the ground, fully supported by the earth. There was not even a sensation of effort besides being stiff as a board and pressure on my stomach. Now I was not a 98 pound girl, one of the subjects I saw Shawn stand on, but still this result is not something one would expect. Afterwards I felt great with no problems for my back though a few of my friends were upset, not understanding what they had witnessed.

Glenn

Rickey Godfrey

Oct 12, 2020, 6:10:45 PM10/12/20

My name is Rickey Godfrey, and I'm a totally blind guitarist here in Nashville, TN.

Back in 1984, I was living in Greenville, SC and went to three of Shawn Masters' hypnosis group sessions in Greenville. At the time he had a group of I think about 40 people. After the first session, he said those who wanted to continue would be charged $125 for all the sessions he would do there as group meetings. I must say he really was a fascinating man, with total self-confidence, just like Trump. I think that some people there may have really been hypnotized, but, I don't believe I ever was, as, I'm not a very suggestible person.

Being blind, Shawn told me that if I kept coming to the group meetings, he wouldn't charge me anything. He was actually interested to see, if through hypnosis, he could help me get my eyesight back, although, my blindness was genetic, and I was born blind.

I think, on the surface, this was a ruse to get more people to attend his meetings, but, I also think he was genuinely interested in seeing if his powers of suggestion might actually cause me to acquire more vision. It did not! In his defense, I only went to three of the meetings, as I thought I was being exploited for Shawn's own purposes, but, then again, Shawn was really interested to seeing what hypnosis could do, i.e. he was learning himself!

A week or so ago, I started looking into who this very interesting man was. Besides the fact that he is a brilliant showman, and a good hypnotist, who no doubt has helped a lot of people I learned some things about his real name and life.

Shawn Masters' real name was Waldemar Glynn Schultz, born in Jersey City, New Jersey, Feb. 23, 1923. His father was Waldemar Schultz, and his mother was Grace Glynn. He died apparently, according to ancestry family trees on July 17, 1999, probably in the San Diego area of California.
His first wife was a lady named Evaleen Vertach, that he met in Chicago, where he was drafted in 1942. Evaleen died as Evaleen Snider in New Jersey, April 12, 1992. Besides a son, Terrance Michael Glynn, who apparently went with him to Australia and died there, he had at least three daughters: Kathlene Glynn Doering, who died in Florida in 2018; Eileen Glynn Willis, who went to high school in Encicintas, California, in San Diego area graduating probably in 1964; and Maureen Glynn who died young.

In Orange County, California is a 1968 divorce record for Wally M. Glynn and Dorothy M Stammer. It was there in Costa Mesa, (Orange County), CA in 1966 or 1967, approx that he was accused of molesting one of his daughters--I haven't found anything else about those charges, but, he was generally known there as Wally Martin Glynn.

Still looking to find more info about this fascinating man, good and bad!

Rickey Godfrey

rickey....@comcast.net

Kelsey Arlington

Aug 4, 2021, 6:25:33 PM8/4/21
Hi would any of you on this chain happen to have any archival footage/stills of Dr. Shawn Masters? It would be extremely helpful for a documentary I'm working on (Masters is briefly mentioned and doesn't go into his personal life).

Thank you!

Camilo Delgado

Jan 13, 2023, 9:24:47 PM1/13/23