Re: North Carolina education officials scrubbed CRT-linked words to avoid backlash

Kentucky purple

Jun 12, 2022, 12:05:09 AM6/12/22
In article <t22qk7$3bhhu$1...@news.freedyn.de>
"I suck mango dick" <fd...@rude.zafdsa> wrote:

> There is a need for education to eliminate homosexual pedophiles.

North Carolina education officials worked to eliminate "red
flag" words such as "whiteness" when discussing a program that
would have trained teachers on how to incorporate critical race
theory in lessons for preschoolers with disabilities, newly
released emails revealed.

A lengthy report from parent activist organization No Left Turn
in Education revealed that state public education officials
openly discussed in emails the need to avoid "terminology that
would create red flags" while discussing a planned contract with
the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute at the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill that would have
trained teachers on how to incorporate aspects of critical race
theory into preschool classes. The parent group obtained the
emails through public records requests.

MISSOURI AG SUBPOENAS SCHOOL DISTRICTS OVER INTRUSIVE STUDENT
SURVEYS

The contract, which was initially approved by the North Carolina
State Board of Education and federally funded, was not finalized
because State Superintendent of Public Instruction Catherine
Truitt declined to sign off on the contract after No Left Turn
in Education obtained slides from the program on how to
"deconstruct whiteness."

"Deconstructing whiteness" is an aspect of critical race theory,
a framework that says U.S. institutions and culture are
systemically racist and oppressive to racial minorities and must
be re-established through anti-racism.

In a statement provided to the Washington Examiner, Nancy
Andersen, North Carolina's No Left Turn in Education chapter
president, blasted the state's education officials for using
federal funds to promote critical race theory while also taking
steps to "deceive the public."

"It was bad enough that education bureaucrats directed taxpayer
dollars to train preschool teachers of special needs students to
use CRT in the classroom. It's even worse that they would go to
great lengths to deceive the public about it," Andersen said.
"In a state with abysmal reading scores, CRT is displacing
valuable instructional time. This is intentional, and it's
robbing our students of a quality education."

The emails showed UNC staffers asking state education officials
if there were "any words/phrases we should not include in print
materials." In one exchange, a UNC official said she did not
know "how to be 'safe' and yet say what needs to be said."

In another exchange, UNC staff expressed urgency in finalizing
the contract following an initial teacher training session on
racial equity that did not garner significant attendance.

"I'd like to have the contract finalized before they see how few
people attended," the staffer wrote.

Examiner, UNC provided a statement touting the work of the Frank
Porter Graham Child Development Institute but did not comment on
the contract.

"FPG is particularly proud of its established partnership with
education leaders across the state as we teach and prepare the
future generations of North Carolinians," the university said.
"The North Carolina Early Learning Network, a project under FPG,
helps ensure any preschool aged student – regardless of their
ability or background– can receive an essential, foundational
education."

No Left Turn in Education said the emails show a need to audit
the state's educational system.

"These emails proved our NC Dept of Instruction knew and helped
these trainings along. Misusing federal funds toward these ends
and hiding the evidence warrants a full audit of our state
educational system," Andersen said.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Andersen continued: "NC early literacy rates are abysmal, but
the [North Carolina] Office of Early Learning is focused on
misdirecting funds for race-essentialism in pre-K. Based on the
findings of our report, we call upon our state government and
its agencies to dissolve contractual relationships with the UNC-
Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute. Additionally,
[we] demand the state perform a full financial audit of the
NCDPI."

The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction did not
respond to a request for comment.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/patriotism-
unity/north-carolina-education-officials-scrubbed-crt-linked-
words-to-avoid-backlash