Is Billy Campbell openly gay,

Christophe VETTER

May 20, 2002, 2:06:58 AM5/20/02
I red that in a french gay magazine.
is that true?

deltablues2

May 20, 2002, 8:21:32 AM5/20/02
> is that true?

He may be openly gay within the entertainment industry, but not to the
public that I've ever been aware of. He played a gay character on
Dynasty but that means nothing. He was romanitcally linked for a
while with Jennifer Connelly. That, also, could mean nothing. I've
heard him vaguely mention girlfriends during talk show interviews.
However he never elaborates or says much of anything, for that matter.

The thing that strikes me about him, aside from his perhaps ambiguous
sexuality is that he always looks horrific when he's out in public.
It's as though he intentionally makes himself look as bad as possible.
I have seen him many times look as though he hasn't bathed, combed
his hair or pressed his clothes. But he sure as hell cleans up well.

Sheriff J.W. Icebreaker

May 20, 2002, 9:13:49 AM5/20/02
"deltablues2" <delta...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > is that true?
>
> He may be openly gay within the entertainment industry, but not to the
> public that I've ever been aware of. He played a gay character on
> Dynasty but that means nothing. He was romanitcally linked for a
> while with Jennifer Connelly. That, also, could mean nothing.

He also played a gay character and did full frontal nudity in More Tales of
the City (I think that's the name of it). The original series, Tales of the
City, caused an uproar on public television stations among conservatives
when it first aired in 1993. Its graphic displays of nudity, sex and drug
use were considered a waste of taxpayer money. I don't remember if Campbell
was in the original series or not, and I don't know if MTOTC came on public
television (I think it came on Showtime, which I do not get).

_______________

Sheriff J.W. Icebreaker - "I'm not an Indian. It's just a coincidence that I
have a love of gambling and booze and a knack for catching syphilis"

Donna L. Bridges

May 20, 2002, 10:45:27 AM5/20/02
While hoping for spring on Mon, 20 May 2002 09:13:49 -0400, in
alt.gossip.celebrities <uehtc94...@corp.supernews.com> "Sheriff
J.W. Icebreaker" <icebr...@mindspring.com> shared:

>"deltablues2" <delta...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> He may be openly gay within the entertainment industry, but not to the
>> public that I've ever been aware of. He played a gay character on
>> Dynasty but that means nothing.

Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?

>He also played a gay character and did full frontal nudity in More Tales of
>the City (I think that's the name of it). The original series, Tales of the
>City, caused an uproar on public television stations among conservatives
>when it first aired in 1993. Its graphic displays of nudity, sex and drug
>use were considered a waste of taxpayer money. I don't remember if Campbell
>was in the original series or not, and I don't know if MTOTC came on public
>television (I think it came on Showtime, which I do not get).

He's been in each miniseries, I believe. The first miniseries was
shown on some PBS channels in the US. Then SHOWTIME got behind it for
the next 2 miniseries, in the US.

--
DonnaB 8^> BA*RF GAG, RATSFuzz, CCWF, LGAW, GRITS,
SWATCHr, ARIAA, MPW Yahoo! Messenger: shallotpeel <*>

"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government
and business." - Tom Robbins

Big J

May 20, 2002, 11:20:30 AM5/20/02
Donna L. Bridges <shall...@rcn.com> wrote in

> Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?

from http://us.imdb.com/Name?Campbell,+Bill

"Dynasty" (1981) TV Series .... Luke Fuller (1984-1985)

Big J

-----

http://www.usenet.com

Zannah

May 20, 2002, 11:50:36 AM5/20/02
Donna L. Bridges <shall...@rcn.com> wrote:

> While hoping for spring on Mon, 20 May 2002 09:13:49 -0400, in
> alt.gossip.celebrities <uehtc94...@corp.supernews.com> "Sheriff
> J.W. Icebreaker" <icebr...@mindspring.com> shared:
>
> >"deltablues2" <delta...@yahoo.com> wrote

> >> He may be openly gay within the entertainment industry, but not to the
> >> public that I've ever been aware of. He played a gay character on
> >> Dynasty but that means nothing.
>
> Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?

Luke Fuller, Steven Carrington's lover.

Zannah.

Donna L. Bridges

May 20, 2002, 11:53:05 AM5/20/02
While hoping for spring on Mon, 20 May 2002 15:50:36 GMT, in
alt.gossip.celebrities <zannah_-DCFE32...@news.telus.net>
Zannah <zan...@hotmail.com> shared:

>Donna L. Bridges <shall...@rcn.com> wrote:
>> Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?
>
>Luke Fuller, Steven Carrington's lover.

Thanks, both of you. Somehow that went right by me that that was him.

--
DonnaB 8^> BA*RF GAG, RATSFuzz, CCWF, LGAW, GRITS,
SWATCHr, ARIAA, MPW Yahoo! Messenger: shallotpeel <*>
TV Grid for next fall: http://lifeisunfair.net/2002_fall_schedule.html

"Interactivity ... conferring upon everyone with access to a computer
the right & opportunity to be heard ... a tendency to assume that
everyone who has a right to be heard has something to say that's worth
hearing." - Wendy Kaminer

Tom Hens

May 20, 2002, 12:45:00 PM5/20/02

Donna L. Bridges <shall...@rcn.com> wrote...

> While hoping for spring on Mon, 20 May 2002 09:13:49 -0400, in
> alt.gossip.celebrities <uehtc94...@corp.supernews.com> "Sheriff
> J.W. Icebreaker" <icebr...@mindspring.com> shared:
>
> >"deltablues2" <delta...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> He may be openly gay within the entertainment industry, but not to the
> >> public that I've ever been aware of. He played a gay character on
> >> Dynasty but that means nothing.
>
> Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?

One of Steven Carrington's ill-fated boyfriends (who always seemed to die
violent deaths). He was involved in the a-big-deal-at-the-time story of
what would have been the first male/male kiss on American primetime TV. He
and whoever played Steven were supposed to kiss at one point, but the
powers that be chickened out at the last minute.

>>He also played a gay character and did full frontal nudity in More Tales
>>of the City (I think that's the name of it).

<snip>

> He's been in each miniseries, I believe. The first miniseries was
> shown on some PBS channels in the US. Then SHOWTIME got behind it for
> the next 2 miniseries, in the US.

And that's also why it's extremely unlikely that he's gay. Armistead
Maupin, who co-produced it, had set a rule that he wouldn't tolerate closet
cases on Tales of the City, that's why Marcus d'Amico (if I remember the
name correctly) who played Michael in the first series was replaced --
Maupin thought he was openly gay, but once he gained some name recognition
thanks to Tales of the City he tried to sneak back into the closet. The
fact that Campbell was there throughout means at least Armistead Maupin is
convinced he's straight, not a deeply closeted gay actor.

I also have never heard any real rumour about him possibly being gay. I
don't count anonymous people (usually with AOL addresses and lots of digits
in their handle) popping up on Usenet and saying "Oh, he must be gay" as
rumours. As far as I can tell, the idea that Campbell is gay rests on
nothing more than some people's assumption that any man as goodlooking as
he is must be gay. It's one of the stranger beliefs floating around in
modern popular culture.

Tom (if only it were true)

Big J

May 20, 2002, 1:42:41 PM5/20/02
"Tom Hens" <tom....@iname.com.DELETE.THIS.BIT> wrote in

Further on the Maupin connection. In an _Advocate_ interview, Maupin
specifically mentions BC talking with him about the breakup with Jennifer
Connelly. So it seems unlikely, unless BC had Maupin duped.

mikes wife

May 20, 2002, 2:25:10 PM5/20/02
> I have seen him many times look as though he hasn't bathed, combed
> his hair or pressed his clothes. But he sure as hell cleans up well.

Chris Noth is pretty similar in this area..

Matt Madison-Clark

May 20, 2002, 3:05:19 PM5/20/02
> He's been in each miniseries, I believe. The first miniseries was
> shown on some PBS channels in the US. Then SHOWTIME got behind it for
> the next 2 miniseries, in the US.

Or as I'm fond of saying - SHOMOtime. ;-)

Jaquie

May 20, 2002, 3:27:41 PM5/20/02
Billy has given an interview w/ the writer of Tales of the Two Cities
where the writer even said he was not gay.

Plus he was living w/ Jennifer Connelly and enaged to Virgina Madsen.
If a lot of (candid) pics of him you see a blond woman with him.. same
woman. Not sure who she is, but he has alluded to a long-distance
relationship in interviews.

and even more rumors has him linked to an MGM exec Clancy Collins..

I would highly doubt he is gay... not that there is anything wrong
with that... he seems just private.

Maggie Morris

May 20, 2002, 3:48:44 PM5/20/02
In article <aca3hu$fgd$1...@aphrodite.grec.isp.9tel.net>, "Christophe VETTER"
<cve...@waika9.com> wrote:

> I red that in a french gay magazine.
> is that true?

No. He dated a friend of my sister's last year.

-mags

Sheriff J.W. Icebreaker

May 20, 2002, 4:45:39 PM5/20/02
"Christophe VETTER" <cve...@waika9.com> wrote in message

> I red that in a french gay magazine.
> is that true?

Nothing the French say is ever true. They are weak. They smell.

Smokie

May 21, 2002, 8:53:22 AM5/21/02
Yes. He is a gay.

"Maggie Morris" <maggiem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mitch

May 21, 2002, 10:48:45 AM5/21/02

To quote Tallulah Bankhead "he never sucked my cock!"

Mitch

Christophe VETTER

May 21, 2002, 4:07:32 PM5/21/02
Thank you very much, I'm french!!

"Sheriff J.W. Icebreaker" <icebr...@mindspring.com> a écrit dans le
message news: ueinrlq...@corp.supernews.com...

Sheriff J.W. Icebreaker

May 21, 2002, 5:25:24 PM5/21/02

> Thank you very much, I'm french!!

That's very brave of you to admit such a thing.

Lemonbleu

May 20, 2002, 1:34:37 PM5/20/02
<< >> Billy Campbell was on DYNASTY? Who did he play?

>Luke Fuller, Steven Carrington's lover.

Odd...i don't recall him at all...a friend is married to Jack Coleman who
played the 2nd Steven Carrington and he gets hit on all the time by
men....even missing that blonde bouffet hairstyle from the show. People still
recognize him 20 years later....spooky!
LB