Liza news 03/16 TODAY'S THE BIG DAY!!!!!

1 view

PUSSSYKATT

Mar 16, 2002, 9:44:58 AM3/16/02
NY POST/By CHRIS WILSON and MARSHA KRANES
----------------------------
The groom was not pleased when three Liza impersonators turned up at his
bachelor party. But David Gest was a good sport - subdued, but gracious.

After recovering from his initial shock, he exchanged pleasantries and a few
laughs with the drag-queen Liza-lookalikes. But he refused to pose with them,
and refused to let any of them sit on his lap.

"Not a chance, he's really not happy about them being here," one party-goer
said.

But the groom did clap appreciatively when the most fetching of the trio,
Richard DeFonzo, belted out bride-to-be Liza Minnelli's signature songs,
"Cabaret" and "New York, New York."

"He had a sense of humor about it," said Miss Understood, the drag-queen owner
of Screaming Queen Media, which provided the entertainment.

Several people described Thursday's bachelor party at Nanni's on East 46th
Street - with 50 celebrants including Ben Vereen, Nick Ashford of Ashford and
Simpson, and two of the Jackson brothers - as reserved. They also reported that
the Gest of honor left early.

"He was very quiet - usually he's not," said restaurant owner Filippo
Carnevale, who counts the flamboyant Broadway producer among his regulars.

Gest, 48, undoubtedly was saving himself for today's star-studded extravaganza
that begins at 5 p.m. with his exchange of "I do's" with Liza - his first, her
fourth.

The "traditional" wedding ceremony at Marble Collegiate Church will feature
Natalie Cole singing as Michael Jackson leads the 55-year-old bride, dressed in
a white, custom-made Bob Mackie gown, down the aisle.

Liz Taylor and Marisa Berenson will be the co-maids of honor.

The bridesmaids - 15 of them, including Mia Farrow, Gina Lollobrigida, Janet
Leigh and The Post's Cindy Adams - will be in black.

The same goes for the 15 groomsmen - among them a slew of Jackson's brothers
and actor Robert Wagner.

There'll also be celebrities galore.

The cast of wedding guests includes Anthony Hopkins, Michael Douglas, Liam
Neeson, Natasha Richardson, Rosie O'Donnell, Elton John, Gene Simmons, Barbara
Walters and Diane Sawyer - as well as Carroll Baker, Phyllis Diller, Jill St.
John and Debra Paget.

After the bride and groom tie the knot, they'll head to The Regent hotel on
Wall Street to tie one on - with 300 of their closest friends.

There they will dance to an 80-piece orchestra - which also will provide backup
for more than 40 performers, including Robert Goulet, Little Anthony and the
Imperials, the Doobie Brothers - and the bride herself.

The Liza impersonators have not been invited.
* * *
NY POST/PAGE SIX...

JUST 24 hours before today's wedding of Liza Minnelli and David Gest, the event
was nearly thrown into chaos when the entire security team for the star-studded
reception walked out and several big-name guests canceled.

Sources at the Regent Wall Street hotel told PAGE SIX Minnelli's security force
quit in a huff yesterday when it found that no special credentials had been
made for itself, hotel staff, or anyone else working the circus-like event.

"They said they would be unable to do their jobs properly," our insider says.
The security people were also upset because Gest was trying to "nickel and dime
everyone" on a job that was said to be "akin to White House security."

"[Gest's] office didn't want to pay extra for the security," our spy reports.
"I think they assumed it was part of the hotel cost." Minnelli's people had to
scramble and bring in a new squad. A rep for the hotel did not return calls.

Meanwhile, several of Minnelli's guests canceled at the last minute, after she
sold the rights to the nuptials to Britain's OK! magazine.

The Post's Liz Smith first reported yesterday that Whitney Houston, who was set
to sing "The Greatest Love of All" as Minnelli and Gest traipse down the aisle,
had backed out. Houston's explanation was that she was too busy recording her
new album for Arista in Miami.

But pals tell PAGE SIX the real reason Houston got cold feet is she's wary of
being splashed all over the tabloids again, and was especially disappointed
when her wedding performance - which she thought would be a small, personal
appearance - was billed as a star turn.

"Whitney had offered to sing for her friends Liza and David," a pal says. "She
thought it would be a small, personal gift. But then it got turned into this
big, huge event. It turned into a professional gig and she just didn't want to
do it."

"Several weeks ago, Whitney told David [Gest] she was recording and she didn't
think she could make it," insists Houston's rep, Nancy Seltzer. "He tried to
talk her into changing the recording session, but she cannot take time off from
recording and make a proper professional apppearance."

Besides Houston, Chaka Khan and former child star Shirley Temple Black have
also dropped out. Black was said to have been weirded out by Gest's vast
collection of her memorabilia, while Khan just changed her mind.

Guests who do show up tonight will find 120 tables covered with thousands of
burgundy, red and hot pink flowers. Minnelli's lighting-expert pal Bentley
Meeker has created a rainbow of light under which the bride plans to sing a
medley of love songs to her new husband.

SEND EMAIL TO PUSSS...@aol.com

AGC FAQ and FUN STUFF
http://www.dreamwater.net/agc/mainpages/agcfaq.html
BLIND ITEM REHASH:
http://www.dreamwater.net/agc/blinditems/mainpage.html

Dennis Lewis

Mar 16, 2002, 11:03:28 AM3/16/02
On 16 Mar 2002 14:44:58 GMT, agcgoss...@aol.com (PUSSSYKATT)
wrote:

>Besides Houston, Chaka Khan and former child star Shirley Temple Black have
>also dropped out.

If you haven't yet seen it, Newsday did a fantastic (but large)
graphic comparing and contrasting Ms. Minnelli's nuptials with the
another ceremony behind held today, the Ginamarie Giurco-Christopher
Betro wedding at St. James Church in Seaford, Long Island.

http://www.newsday.com/features/printedition/ny-lizaswedding0313.graphic

You'll have to be patient if you're using an analog modem, but it's
worth it if you've been following coverage of Liza's wedding (and if
you'd like to see a current mug shot of Gina Lollabridiga). And Chaka
got the most prominent spot in the chart of anyone other than Petula
Clark.

Maggie Morris

Mar 16, 2002, 1:26:24 PM3/16/02
In article <20020316094458...@mb-bg.aol.com>,
agcgoss...@aol.com (PUSSSYKATT) wrote:

> Besides Houston, Chaka Khan and former child star Shirley Temple Black have
> also dropped out. Black was said to have been weirded out by Gest's vast
> collection of her memorabilia, while Khan just changed her mind.

jeez, wasn't chaka khan supposed to be a bridesmaid? such close, personal
friends, huh?

-mags

--

Flizim Flazim Pudding Pops! Hizzim Skizzim Jello! Picture
Pages! Theeeeooooooo!!!! -Hyoun

Swirl4me

Mar 16, 2002, 1:58:16 PM3/16/02
Where's Michael Feinstein? And Elton John?

"Maggie Morris" <mtmo...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

Baby Strange

Mar 16, 2002, 2:48:46 PM3/16/02
As I valiantly attempted to fight off the ice weasels, d...@sprynet.com
(Dennis Lewis) distracted me with:

>On 16 Mar 2002 14:44:58 GMT, agcgoss...@aol.com (PUSSSYKATT)
>wrote:
>>
>>Besides Houston, Chaka Khan and former child star Shirley Temple Black have
>>also dropped out.
>
>If you haven't yet seen it, Newsday did a fantastic (but large)
>graphic comparing and contrasting Ms. Minnelli's nuptials with the
>another ceremony behind held today, the Ginamarie Giurco-Christopher
>Betro wedding at St. James Church in Seaford, Long Island.
>
>http://www.newsday.com/features/printedition/ny-lizaswedding0313.graphic

<laughs> I enjoyed it; thanks for the link. Congratulations, Gina
and Christopher! Woohoo!

>You'll have to be patient if you're using an analog modem, but it's
>worth it if you've been following coverage of Liza's wedding (and if
>you'd like to see a current mug shot of Gina Lollabridiga).

Yikes...Age + Heavy Makeup = Train Wreck. Janet Leigh gets more
ghostly and faded with each passing year. Give her another decade,
and she'll be transluscent.

>And Chaka
>got the most prominent spot in the chart of anyone other than Petula
>Clark.

Both of them look good, IMHO.

Billie

Mar 16, 2002, 3:34:21 PM3/16/02
What bothers me most about these nuptials (they can have a carnival setting for
all I care) if that Liza plans on adopting a 'few' kids. That's just wrong.

Billie

"STUPIDITY IS NOT A HANDICAP. Park elsewhere!"

Mary Campbell

Mar 16, 2002, 3:30:55 PM3/16/02

Thanks, this is fun.

Esther looks great. Gina - take a tip from Esther and tone down the
makeup. Janet - scary as usual. She's starting to look like Mrs. Bates.
Petula still looks lovely, but I hope that's not her current hairstyle.
Mia's playing the role of Which Object Does Not Belong In This Picture
(although I know that she and Liza were best friends back when she was
married to Sinatra and Liza was Mrs. Peter Allen - lot of water under the
bridge since then).

But that picture of Liza from the Michael Jackson special - great holey
moley. Not having seen it, I had no idea she looked that bad. She looked
much better in VF. If her fiance has done anything for her, he's got her
to fix her hair.

Annie RUtahkn2Me

Mar 16, 2002, 4:37:28 PM3/16/02
>From: pusss...@aol.com (Billie )

>What bothers me most about these nuptials (they can have a carnival setting
>for
>all I care) if that Liza plans on adopting a 'few' kids. That's just wrong.
>
>Billie

I find this entire wedding extravaganza obscene.

And, I'm not entirely sure why I feel that way.

Maybe it's because David Gest makes my skin crawl.

The idea of adding children to this marital mess totally disgusts me.

Annie RU

Just Click and Help Save the Pandas

Please go to: http://panda.care2.com/

explorer

Mar 16, 2002, 5:02:28 PM3/16/02
So, how long before we find out this husband is gay, too?

explorer

Mar 16, 2002, 5:05:13 PM3/16/02

"Billie " <pusss...@aol.com> wrote in message

> What bothers me most about these nuptials (they can have a carnival
setting for
> all I care) if that Liza plans on adopting a 'few' kids. That's just
wrong.

Specially since it'll give the Pedophile of Pop a fresh supply to work
through.

Michele317

Mar 16, 2002, 8:49:52 PM3/16/02
>What bothers me most about these nuptials (they can have a carnival setting
>for
>all I care) if that Liza plans on adopting a 'few' kids. That's just wrong.

she'll need someone to stay home and drink with while the hubby's out with the
boys.

GrumpyOldFart

Mar 16, 2002, 11:45:47 PM3/16/02

"Billie " <pusss...@aol.com> wrote in message
> What bothers me most about these nuptials (they can have a carnival
setting for
> all I care) if that Liza plans on adopting a 'few' kids. That's just
>wrong.

Why? Don't you believe 2 drag queens should raise kids? ;-)

Marcella

Mar 17, 2002, 7:29:55 AM3/17/02
PUSSSYKATT wrote:

> NY POST/By CHRIS WILSON and MARSHA KRANES
> ----------------------------
> The groom was not pleased when three Liza impersonators turned up at his
> bachelor party. But David Gest was a good sport - subdued, but gracious.
>
> After recovering from his initial shock, he exchanged pleasantries and a few
> laughs with the drag-queen Liza-lookalikes. But he refused to pose with them,
> and refused to let any of them sit on his lap.
>
> "Not a chance, he's really not happy about them being here," one party-goer
> said.
>
> But the groom did clap appreciatively when the most fetching of the trio,
> Richard DeFonzo, belted out bride-to-be Liza Minnelli's signature songs,
> "Cabaret" and "New York, New York."
>
> "He had a sense of humor about it," said Miss Understood, the drag-queen owner
> of Screaming Queen Media, which provided the entertainment.
>
> Several people described Thursday's bachelor party at Nanni's on East 46th
> Street - with 50 celebrants including Ben Vereen, Nick Ashford of Ashford and
> Simpson, and two of the Jackson brothers - as reserved. They also reported that
> the Gest of honor left early.
>
> "He was very quiet - usually he's not," said restaurant owner Filippo
> Carnevale, who counts the flamboyant Broadway producer among his regulars.

I think this last sentence says it all — I don't know too many straight
ment who frequent Drag Queen bars.

--
-Marcella

Her Highness The Pink Princess

Mar 17, 2002, 11:49:45 AM3/17/02
>Where's Michael Feinstein? And Elton John?

Elton has, officially, dropped out. For a wedding predicted to cost in the
high 7 figures, and a dinner at $750 a plate, it seems like there will be quite
a few empty chairs, quelle dommage!

Reigning and Deigning

Pink Wishes
The Princess \^*^*^/

*The romance, history and beauty of Havencrest Castle is here, in a newly
edited, 2 hour, VHS "Centennial Edition", celebrating 100 years of luxury!
"It's like walking through a valentine!"
http://www.facemakersincorporated.com/havenmain.html

explorer

Mar 17, 2002, 5:38:02 PM3/17/02

"Her Highness The Pink Princess" <princ...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

> >Where's Michael Feinstein? And Elton John?
> >

> Elton has, officially, dropped out. For a wedding predicted to cost in
the
> high 7 figures, and a dinner at $750 a plate, it seems like there will be
quite
> a few empty chairs, quelle dommage!

The guests aren't expected to pay for their meal, are they?

Her Highness The Pink Princess

Mar 17, 2002, 6:38:41 PM3/17/02

No, *that* would be tacky.

J Rogow

Mar 17, 2002, 7:16:43 PM3/17/02

> >"Her Highness The Pink Princess" <princ...@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Elton has, officially, dropped out. For a wedding predicted to cost in
> >the
> >> high 7 figures, and a dinner at $750 a plate, it seems like there will
be
> >quite
> >> a few empty chairs, quelle dommage!
> >>

> >The guests aren't expected to pay for their meal, are they?
>
> No, *that* would be tacky.

However, leaving a large gratuity . . .

Dennis Lewis

Mar 18, 2002, 8:58:57 AM3/18/02
On 17 Mar 2002 16:49:45 GMT, princ...@aol.comedy (Her Highness The

Pink Princess) wrote:

>Elton has, officially, dropped out. For a wedding predicted to cost in the
>high 7 figures, and a dinner at $750 a plate, it seems like there will be quite
>a few empty chairs, quelle dommage!

I'm surprised no enterprising "no-show" didn't try to auction off
their invitation on eBay.