Jackson Browne's Wife Suicide

lori

Sep 3, 2001, 10:18:18 PM9/3/01
I heard Phyllis Major, who was Jackson Browne's wife, committed suicide in
March 1976. What was the real cause of this tragic event?
It appeared things were really messed-up for her to leave her 3-year old
son, Any info would be appreciated.

It seems Jackson has a lousy track record (or just unlucky) with women. I
have a hard time believing that Daryl Hannah hit him first in some of the
reports I have read.

VA Regis

Sep 4, 2001, 12:42:10 PM9/4/01
Phyllis Major was a model before her marriage to Jackson (which was a shotgun
wedding, btw). After baby, her career was over and she was relegated to be
*housewife to rock star*. I personally feel she was very very depressed after
the birth and never recouperated. She was heavily sedated most of the time and
resented that Jackson was never around (too busy touring, i guess). She
threatened suicide on many occasions and she never followed thru. This was a
case of "crying wolf one too many times".

Nick

Sep 4, 2001, 5:13:29 PM9/4/01
Hello Lori,
I love Jackson Brownes music and his fellow compagnons, Warren Zevon, the
Eagles etc, and i read somewhere that he had some trouble with women. He
shouldn't treat them proberly and besides that he should have an alcohol
problem in the 70-ies. I can't imagine, he wrote some great lyrics and he
seemed to be a really nice guy, a person who's concerned about the World (No
Nukes). Hope it isn't true and we get an answer here....
Nick at
http://home.hccnet.nl/n.wywh/symfo/index.html

"lori" <ti...@hughes.net> schreef in bericht

Suz421

Sep 4, 2001, 5:42:27 PM9/4/01
>Phyllis Major was a model before her marriage to Jackson (which was a shotgun
>wedding, btw)

Actually, they weren't married until their son was about 2 years old.

Sara

Sep 4, 2001, 5:58:19 PM9/4/01
> "lori" <ti...@hughes.net> schreef in bericht
> > I heard Phyllis Major, who was Jackson Browne's wife, committed suicide in
> > March 1976. What was the real cause of this tragic event?
> > It appeared things were really messed-up for her to leave her 3-year old
> > son, Any info would be appreciated.

Though I love Jackson Browne myself, I used to have a friend who didn't. She
always used to say that his wife committed suicide so she wouldn't have to
listen to it any more;-)

> > It seems Jackson has a lousy track record (or just unlucky) with women.

I don't believe it has anything to do with luck. People with a pattern of
picking screwed-up types usually do so for psychological reasons.

> >I have a hard time believing that Daryl Hannah hit him first in some of the
> > reports I have read.

What??? Didn't you see that Lifetime movie with Judith Light? It was called Men
Don't Tell and poor Peter Strauss was always trying to explain that he didn't
give his wife those bruises and that she started it by beating *him* up. Judith
Light was great as a husband beater with ahem, anger management issues. And of
course, no one believed him until the end of the movie.

por...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 1:49:40 PM11/20/17
I'm reading Joni's new biography "Reckless Daughter" and she regards Jackson Browne as very dark and perverted with women. After breaking up with Browne and seeing Phyllis Major fall under his spell, she was very concerned for her. Seems Joni was right about him.

FM7...@live.com

Mar 19, 2018, 3:51:09 AM3/19/18
The best way to change the world is to not focus on changing the world but to focus on being the best parent and neighbor, spending less than you earn and standing for the rule of law. The more people do this, the stronger communities will be and the world will be a better place.

Lesmond

Mar 19, 2018, 7:20:09 AM3/19/18
When did *you* stop beating your wife?

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Miloch

Mar 19, 2018, 10:31:03 AM3/19/18
In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@192.168.0.8>, Lesmond says...
Prolly still is...the task of making your wife a better woman is more difficult
than you think.

go Warriors!
playing the Spurs tonight
*

Lesmond

Mar 19, 2018, 3:50:07 PM3/19/18
I know! My husband still hasn't gotten the knack.

jpeth...@yahoo.com

Mar 30, 2019, 9:13:20 PM3/30/19
Mental illness is very real and it should never be regarded as just wanting out of a relationship ! It is over looked yet very well hidden !

Chris Hughes

Mar 6, 2021, 11:44:36 AM3/6/21
Joni's 'concern' was to justify her campaign of defamation. She's hated Jackson for over 40 years (probably as a woman scorned). Phyllis Major had longterm mental health problems and suffered severe postnatal depression when she committed suicide. (Seems Jackson was attracted to troubled women.) No one else has suggested he drove Major to it. In 'Reckless Daughter' (and Weller's 'Girls Like Us') Joni portrays him as a nasty piece of work - but no one else has said such things. In 'Not to Blame' she also put the boot in re Daryl Hannah. Daryl never explicitly accused him of assault and he wasn't charged. He refuses to explain it, citing a promise made (probably to dowith Daryl's autism). For the full story, see my blogpost, 'Jackson Browne & Daryl Hannah' (https://soothfairy.com/2015/03/29/jackson-browne-and-daryl-hannah).

Kay Fontana

Nov 15, 2021, 4:24:28 PM11/15/21
Sorry Chris, other women have said Jackson hit them including Daryl Hannah. And why would Phyllis have bruises on her face continually after they were married???? Huh?