Calgary Mayor Nenshi smacks down oil protestors

Chom Noamsky

Oct 21, 2016, 2:50:49 PM10/21/16
Nenshi is correct that protestors are irrationally obsessed with oil and
pipelines, but what he doesn't seem to understand is WHY pipelines and
Canada's oil industry have been singled out. The reason is a very well
organized, focused campaign by the Tides Foundation, financed with tens
of millions of Rockefeller money. In other words, it's American
political meddling, financed with American oil billionaire money. And it
really says something when even the "progressive" mayor of Calgary is
getting sick and tired of the attacks on Canada's oil.

The campaign has done nothing to slow oilsands production or "keep it in
the ground", but it has been fairly successful in hindering pipeline
development (that will end when Trudeau approves TMX). The consequence
is that, lacking tidewater access, Canada is forced to export oil to the
US at a steep discount, which costs the industry roughly $15 billion a
year.

The irony of course is, the bigger bargain Canada's oil is, the more
America wants it. In fact, record amounts of oil are currently getting
exported to the US by pipe and rail, and Canada has the biggest chunk of
the import oil market in the US.

So useful protestor idiots, financed by American oil billionaires, are
actually increasing America's reliance on the oilsands, and causing the
industry to make up for the discounting with increased export volumes.

http://thetyee.ca/News/2016/10/13/Calgary-Mayor-Slams-Protestors/

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Opinion+Anti+campaign+funding+murky/11131829/story.html

Unum

Oct 21, 2016, 4:23:41 PM10/21/16
On 10/21/2016 1:50 PM, Chom Noamsky wrote:

> So useful protestor idiots, financed by American oil billionaires, are
> actually increasing America's reliance on the oilsands, and causing the
> industry to make up for the discounting with increased export volumes.

Canada is selling tar sands sludge at a loss, but making it up
with increased volume! Isn't that technically equivalent to dumping?

Chom Noamsky

Oct 21, 2016, 5:47:31 PM10/21/16
On 10/21/2016 1:23 PM, Unum wrote:
> On 10/21/2016 1:50 PM, Chom Noamsky wrote:
>
>> So useful protestor idiots, financed by American oil billionaires, are
>> actually increasing America's reliance on the oilsands, and causing the
>> industry to make up for the discounting with increased export volumes.
>
> Canada is selling tar sands sludge at a loss, but making it up
> with increased volume!

That's funny, the analysts are reporting that Suncor will be announcing
a return to positive earnings for 3Q16, so your silly fanatic talking
point is already dead. And who is dumb enough to judge profitability
and performance by short-term market downturns, especially one caused by
a flailing competitor desperately trying to claw back market share. The
Saudi play is over, the supply is already tightening, prices are going
back up. Global oil indexes like S&P show positive returns for the last
year, while alternative energy indexes are showing negative returns.
Global 3Q16 investment in solar and wind is down 43% over 3Q15, the fad
is already over.

> Isn't that technically equivalent to dumping?

Nope, because the price Canada fetches for oil exports is determined by
the US market.

Unum

Oct 21, 2016, 8:37:48 PM10/21/16
On 10/21/2016 4:47 PM, Chom Noamsky wrote:
> On 10/21/2016 1:23 PM, Unum wrote:
>> On 10/21/2016 1:50 PM, Chom Noamsky wrote:
>>
>>> So useful protestor idiots, financed by American oil billionaires, are
>>> actually increasing America's reliance on the oilsands, and causing the
>>> industry to make up for the discounting with increased export volumes.
>>
>> Canada is selling tar sands sludge at a loss, but making it up
>> with increased volume!
>
> That's funny, the analysts are reporting that Suncor will be announcing a
> return to positive earnings for 3Q16, so your silly fanatic talking point is
> already dead. And who is dumb enough to judge profitability and performance
> by short-term market downturns, especially one caused by a flailing competitor
> desperately trying to claw back market share. The Saudi play is over, the
> supply is already tightening, prices are going back up. Global oil indexes
> like S&P show positive returns for the last year, while alternative energy
> indexes are showing negative returns. Global 3Q16 investment in solar and wind
> is down 43% over 3Q15, the fad is already over.

A few sentences up "who is dumb enough to judge profitability and performance
by short-term market downturns" and then suddenly chumpsky is dumb enough to
blabber about 3Q16, OMFG this is so hilarious!

Suncor posted an operating loss of 1,063 million Canadian dollars in
2Q16, ouch! Now, I know its only Canadian money and therefor practically
worthless, but a billion dollars?

>> Isn't that technically equivalent to dumping?
>
> Nope, because the price Canada fetches for oil exports is determined by the US
> market.

When the China sells steel at a loss and drives US and European manufacturers
out of business is that determined by the US market too? I bet some US
fracking operations would still be around if Canada wasn't dumping oil on
the US market at a loss.

Chom Noamsky

Oct 21, 2016, 9:59:52 PM10/21/16
And your point is what? All you've helped show is that in spite of an
aggressive play by Saudis to claw back market share, Alberta oil has
recovered and is already profitable again. I'm impressed myself, return
to profitability wasn't supposed to happen until well into 2017

>>> Isn't that technically equivalent to dumping?
>>
>> Nope, because the price Canada fetches for oil exports is determined
>> by the US
>> market.
>
> When the China sells steel at a loss and drives US and European
> manufacturers
> out of business is that determined by the US market too? I bet some US
> fracking operations would still be around if Canada wasn't dumping oil on
> the US market at a loss.

"When the China sells"... your dishware is now marketing steel?

Unum

Oct 22, 2016, 12:28:13 AM10/22/16
chumpsky has his head buried up Suncor's ass, he would be impressed
if they farted.

>>> Nope, because the price Canada fetches for oil exports is determined
>>> by the US
>>> market.
>>
>> When the China sells steel at a loss and drives US and European
>> manufacturers
>> out of business is that determined by the US market too? I bet some US
>> fracking operations would still be around if Canada wasn't dumping oil on
>> the US market at a loss.
>
> "When the China sells"... your dishware is now marketing steel?

Snap! And this is how chumpsky runs away!

Chom Noamsky

Oct 22, 2016, 1:08:24 PM10/22/16
Oil is already profitable in Alberta again, in spite of the Saudis
dumping cheap product on the market. The winner in the war was the
consumer, who enjoyed the biggest transfer of wealth the world has ever
seen. Every buck the shareholder didn't earn translated directly into
cheaper pump prices. The consumer benefit tallies in the trillions.
But in the twisted minds of fanatical greenies, cheap abundant energy is
EVIL.

Unum

Oct 22, 2016, 1:48:02 PM10/22/16
Actually its just dirty non-renewable energy that is evil, along with
the toadies who push propaganda for it on the internet.

Chom Noamsky

Oct 22, 2016, 2:28:06 PM10/22/16
Moms skipping meals just so they can feed the kids and struggle through
another month of financially devastating power bills. All thanks to
"green energy".

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/16/ontario-energy-policy-puts-people-businesses-at-wits-end

Bret Cahill

Oct 22, 2016, 2:47:36 PM10/22/16

Chom Noamsky

Oct 22, 2016, 3:24:27 PM10/22/16

Unum

Oct 23, 2016, 4:49:04 PM10/23/16
Doesn't say a thing about "green energy" does it, lieboy. OMFG this is
so hilarious!

Wally W.

Oct 23, 2016, 4:57:07 PM10/23/16
In what language does "unum" mean puppy dog?

Or should that be "stalker?"

Pavlov would be interested in the regularity of Unum's reactions to
Chom's posts.

"You Know You’re Over the Target When You’re Catching Flak."

http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/02/07/the-great-delusion/#more-12926
"In centuries hence the global warming boogey man will be seen for
exactly what it is -- The Great Delusion. Future generations will
wonder how so many people could have believed something so suicidally
ridiculous."