Warm Up Your Below-Rudimenatary "Flood/Killfile" Filter, swill - Physicist William Happer: "There Is NO Climate Emergency" - Part 3

AlleyCat

Aug 17, 2023, 8:08:59 PM8/17/23

Part 3

C'mon... let's hear it... bu bu bu but AllllleeeeeyyyyCaaaaatttt.... Happer's
not a cliiiimmmmatttte scientist!

Go ahead... piss, moan, cry and whine... just remember, your credentials are
Kindergarten-level compared to this guys. Oh... yeah... you can piss and moan
about them not having "climatology" degrees, but a PHYSICS degree encompasses
pretty much ALL, INCLUDING climate, so piss off.

=====

I mentioned we are warmed by the Sun. About half of the sunlight eventually
gets to the surface. What prevents it all from reaching the surface are clouds
and a small amount of scattering and absorption by the atmosphere.

Other parts of America, like New Jersey, now are covered with clouds. Those
areas do not get any sunlight directly. But the half of sunlight that does
reach the ground heats it. You can notice that in the afternoon, if you go
outside. If you are a gardener like me, you can put your hands in the soil and
it is nice and warm. It makes the corn grow. But that heat has to be released.
If you keep adding heat to the ground, it gets hotter and hotter. So, the heat
is eventually released by radiation into space which is that red arrow going up
on the viewgraph. But for the first few kilometres of altitude, a good fraction
of that heat is not carried by radiation, but by convection of warm, moist air.
CO2 has no direct effect on convection near the surface. But once you get up to
10 kilometres or so, most of the heat is transported by radiation.

By the way, I have the (CO2) meter running now. Remember that the outside air
is 400 parts per million CO2. It is 580 in here, (and) it was at 1,000 parts
per million where we were having lunch. CO2 levels are never stable near
Earth's surface. People are panicking about one or two parts per million of
CO2. Now, the meter reads 608 parts per million-that is probably because I
breathed on it. Hot air sets it off. I sometimes take the meter out onto my
back porch. At the end of a summer day, the CO2 levels on my back porch drop to
maybe 300 parts per million, way below the average for outside air. That is
because the trees and grass in my backyard have sucked most of the CO2 out of
the local air during the day. If I get up early the next morning and I look at
the meter, it is up to 600 parts per million. So just from morning to night CO2
doubles in the air of my back yard. Doubles and halves, doubles and halves. At
least during the growing season that is quite common. And we have these
hysterics about CO2 increasing by 30 or 40 percent. It is amazing.

https://i0.wp.com/www.independent.org/images/article_images/2021/2021_03_11
_happer_11_1400x787.jpg?ssl=1So, why the frenzy over CO2?

It is because it is a greenhouse gas? That is true. This is a somewhat
deceptive picture. What it shows in red (in the above image) is sunlight, and
the horizontal scale on the top panel is the wavelength of the sunlight.

Radiation wavelengths for sunlight are typically about a half a micron (half a
millionth of a meter). That is green light, the color of green leaves. The
thermal radiation that cools the Earth is that blue curve to the right of the
upper panel, and that is a much longer wavelength, typically around 10 microns.

So, the wavelength of thermal radiation is 10 to 20 times longer than the
wavelengths of sunlight. It turns out that the sun's energy can get through the
Earth's atmosphere very easily. So essentially all sunlight or at least 90
percent, if there are no clouds, gets to the surface and warms it. But
radiation cooling of the surface is less efficient because various greenhouse
gases (most importantly water vapor, which is shown as the third panel down,
and CO2, which is the fourth panel down) intercept a lot of that radiation and
keep it from freely escaping to space. This keeps Earth's surface temperature
warmer than it would be (by about 20 or 30 degrees). The Earth would be an ice
cube if it were not for water vapor and CO2.

https://i0.wp.com/www.independent.org/images/article_images/2021/2021_03_11
_happer_12_1400x787.jpg?ssl=1

Greenhouse gases were discovered in the 1850s by John Tyndall, who was an
Anglo-Irish physicist working in London. He was the first one to discover that
water vapor, or carbon dioxide, or ether vapor, or alcohol vapor, intercept
thermal radiation.

Appropriately for an Anglo-Irishman, he used a hot tea kettle as his source of
heat. He measured the thermal radiation from the tea kettle that passed through
a pipe containing various gases, and he noticed that certain gases like CO2, or
especially water vapor, would block much of that heat radiation whereas the
normal atmospheric gases nitrogen and oxygen would not.

All atmospheric gases are transparent to sunlight, but greenhouse gases are
partly opaque to thermal radiation.

We now call the gases that block heat-radiation "greenhouse gases."

CO2 is indeed a greenhouse gas, but it is not a very good greenhouse gas at
today's concentration.

Let me show you something that I want you to remember:

https://i0.wp.com/www.independent.org/images/article_images/2021/2021_03_11
_happer_13_1400x787.jpg?ssl=1

This is an important slide.