The Arctic Was Ice-Free When Stonehenge Was Built, But Let's Pretend Time Began During The Record Cold Arctic Winter of 1979.

AlleyCat

Sep 18, 2021, 9:48:38 AM9/18/21

Records:

In 2021 (To Date), A Total of 222 All-Time Low Temperature Records Have Been
Broken In The United States, Versus Just The 7 For All-Time High

Also, in 2021 (To Date), U.S. Has Set 17,450 New LOW Temperature Records This
Year vs 13,886 High

Also also, in 2021 (To Date), Over the Past 7 Days, Thousands of Low
Temperature Records Fell Across the United States

Also, also also, (To Date) North America Has Set 233 New All-Time Monthly Low
Temperature Records In May (So Far) vs. Just The 18 Record Highs

Also, also also, also, Over the Past 7 Days, the United States Broke 3,782 Low
Temperature Records Vs Just the 518 Max

Also, also also, also, also, The United States (Lower-48) Just Set Its Coldest
Temperature Ever Recorded This Early In the Season

Also, also also, also, also, also, Hundreds of All-Time Records Fall Across
North America: "This Cold Weather Is Not Normal!"

The All-Time Record For 'Coldest High Temperature' Also Fell On Monday

Cold Ravages Europe With "Agricultural Disaster" Declared In France, As Record
Cold Hits UK

Record Low November Temperatures Sweep Delhi, India

Spain Records Its Coldest-Ever Temprature (MoP)

Record October Lows/Snows Threaten Majority of North America as Arctic Air
Prepares to Plunge South

The UK Records Its Coldest September Temperature in 23 Years

Bone-Chilling Cold Sweeps Northeast Russia, Records from the 1950s and 60s Fall

Record Spring Cold Sweeps Brazil + a Continent-Wide Polar Blast On Course to
Hit South America

100-Year-Old Cold Records Smashed In Reno, Nevada - This Simply Should Not Be
Happening In a Warming World

Record Cold Hits the Russian Arctic Coast

China Plans Record LNG Imports to Battle Unprecedented Cold

Lake Tahoe Sets Its 3rd Record Low In a Week As Unprecedented November Cold
Lingers In The West

Record Lows Sweep Northeastern United States

Killing Freeze Hits Kansas As All-Time Cold Records Fall

Records Fall Across India

Arctic April Grips North America Breaking Hundreds of All-Time Cold Records

Unseasonable, Record-Breaking Cold Across Country Blamed For at Least 8 Deaths
- Record-Breaking Cold Blast Grips Over 200 Million Across The Country

Parts Of UK And US Suffer Their Lowest May Temperatures On Record

Australia: December 1st Threatens Record Cold And Rare Summer Snow

Calgary Ties Its Longest Streak Below 20C (68F) In Recorded History

Unprecedented Spring Snow Hits Parts of Australia As Regions Suffer Their
Coldest September Temperatures Ever Recorded

Australia To Suffer Yet Another Continent-Wide Icy Blast ? Low Temperature
Records Will Be 'Shattered'

The Month of May Brings Record (Sometimes Historic) Cold To Both Hemispheres

20+ Weather Stations Across China Equal/Break Lowest-Ever Temperature Records
for Month of December

Denver Obliterates All-Time Low Temperature Records In Weather Books Dating
Back 148 Years

Antarctica Just Set Its Coldest March Temperature On Record: A Global Warming
Destroying -75.3C (-103.5F)"

UK Set For Its Coldest October On Record

Katesbridge, Ireland Just Recorded September Temperature of All-Time

Global Temperatures Suffer Second Largest Two Month Drop In Recorded History

Arctic Freeze Set to Break 142-Year-Old Low Temperature Record In Cheyenne, WY

In The Land of The Drought And Heat - Multiple Cold Records Fell In California
Monday

Bad Cold News:

Winter Returns To North America - April 14th

Australia - "Worst Frosts in Decades"

Slovenia Suffers Coldest April Temp In History

Europe's Polar Cold To Intensify Through April, As North America Braces For A
Similar Fate - Grand Solar Minimum

Switzerland Registers Coldest Spell in 3-Decades

European Fruit Shortage Expected

Spring Freeze Shortens Fall Apple Season For Indiana Orchards: "It's the Worst
We've Seen In Decades"

Colorado's Historic October Cold, Turns Deadly

According to the MSM, Global Warming Could Still Make It Too COLD to Grow
Citrus Fruits In Southeast U.S.

5th Cold Spring In A Row

Extreme Cold Blamed for 17 Deaths in Midwest, Northeast; Frostbite Injuries
Quickly Adding Up in Chicago

Delhi Just Shivered Through Its Coldest Month of October Since 1962

Why Is North America Immune to Global Warming?

Lamestream Media Blames The East's Heat On "Climate Change" While Ignoring The
West's Dominating Cold

Extreme Cold Kills 900+ Trees in Montana City - November 4, 2020

Northwest Territories to Suffer "Colder-Than-Average Winter," Warns Environment
And Climate Change Canada

A Staggering 23 Norwegian Weather Stations Logged Their COLDEST-EVER July
Temperature Last Month

Prepare for More Extreme Cold Weather in Yucatan, Mexico Warns Meteorologist

Severe Spring Frosts Destroy Crops Across Europe

Century-old "LOWS" Follow Century-old "SNOWS" across Michigan's Upper Peninsula

France Is Suffering Its Coldest Start to Fall Since 1998, With Additional
Arctic Blasts Forecast

Cold, Snow, And Epic Flooding: "the Weather In Slovakia Is Reminiscent of the
Apocalypse"

Delhi Suffers Coldest Month of November In 71 Years, Since Before The Birth of
The Indian Republic

Bret Cahill

Sep 18, 2021, 10:09:59 AM9/18/21
You shudda seen how little sea ice there was back in the big Banglocine.

Alan Baker

Sep 18, 2021, 10:51:00 AM9/18/21
On 2021-09-18 6:48 a.m., AlleyCat wrote:

> Records:
>
> In 2021 (To Date), A Total of 222 All-Time Low Temperature Records Have Been
> Broken In The United States, Versus Just The 7 For All-Time High

Are you still here and still lying all the time?

:-)

R Kym Horsell

Sep 18, 2021, 11:03:24 AM9/18/21
It alternates between lying and not just knowing the difference between
open water in summer and being ice free.
Either way, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

--
[What old Popular Mechanics articles didnt know at the time:]

Reconstructed changes in Arctic sea ice over the past 1,450 years
Christophe Kinnard, Christian M. Zdanowicz, David A. Fisher,
Elisabeth Isaksson, Anne de Vernal & Lonnie G. Thompson

...Here we use a network of high-resolution terrestrial proxies from the
circum-Arctic region to reconstruct past extents of summer sea ice, and
show that-- although extensive uncertainties remain, especially before the
sixteenth century--both the duration and magnitude of the current
decline in sea ice seem to be unprecedented for the past 1450 years.

Siri Cruise

Sep 18, 2021, 11:14:45 AM9/18/21
In article <si4uci$mgr$1...@dont-email.me>,
I still don't know or care whether climate change is real. I
strongly support carbon controls that will get the US out of
middle east wars and stop cars from dumping noxs and soxs into
the air next to bike lanes. Did you know you can taste those?
They turn to nitrogen and sulphur acids in your mouth and throat,
a horrid sour taste. And you can feel the acid burn in your lungs.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

R Kym Horsell

Sep 18, 2021, 1:04:07 PM9/18/21
In alt.global-warming AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote:
> Records:
> In 2021 (To Date), A Total of 222 All-Time Low Temperature Records Have Been
> Broken In The United States, Versus Just The 7 For All-Time High

Even you are starting to suspect you are never right about anything
outside your area of expertise .... whatever that is.

Hadley have a seaice dataset back to the 1870s. Big surprise
summer seaice was less than winter seaice even back then meaning
there was some open water in summer. It was just less than the
amount of open water now.

rctic seaice area 1900-2020
(from HadISST1_ICE)

Period min area max area
(5y) (mns km2) (mn2 km2)
1900 6.982 18.2641
1905 6.982 18.2641
1910 6.982 18.2641
1915 6.982 18.2641
1920 6.982 18.2641
1925 6.982 18.2641
1930 6.982 18.2641
1935 6.982 18.2641
1940 6.73742 18.6751
1945 6.42107 19.0475
1950 6.37999 19.0475
1955 6.37999 19.0475
1960 6.05926 18.6416
1965 5.48804 17.9871
1970 5.03485 17.4284
1975 4.2957 16.9326
1980 3.73252 16.5743
1985 4.00851 16.4266
1990 4.02543 16.6392
1995 4.11701 17.1628
2000 4.45043 16.6328
2005 3.88189 16.9084
2010 4.69577 17.7204
2015 3.53343 17.2694

And of course there are reconstructions back centuries from
various proxies.

Here's one I did from Hadley seaice intensity (converted to
summer seaice area) and the various PAGES2k proxies for the Arctic.

Hleo recon min Arc seaice (1-2000):
(Plot at <kymhorsell.com/paleoarcminarea.gif>).

Period Avg min Arc seaice area
(50y) (mn2 km2)
"0" 7.62348
50 7.33172
100 7.38154
150 7.8215
200 7.71745
250 7.67589
300 7.58921
350 7.57133
400 7.36016
450 7.91731 <- median
500 8.23501
550 7.71385
600 8.0938
650 7.92105
700 7.80982
750 7.40613
800 7.85376
850 7.99718
900 7.49923
950 7.73465
1000 7.8691
1050 8.04394
1100 7.86422
1150 8.50797
1200 8.05862
1250 8.32145
1300 8.34642
1350 8.11624
1400 8.10147
1450 8.51008
1500 8.28327
1550 8.29045
1600 8.66302
1650 8.71769
1700 8.60065
1750 8.5823
1800 8.90499 <- max
1850 8.16528
1900 7.7447
1950 7.28488 <- min

From HadISST1_ICE and PAGES2k "Arc-*" d18O proxies.adley have

Note that seaice was increasing slowly up until about 1800
and then it (i.e. the summer recon minimum area) dived to a
level lower than anything seen in the prev 2000y.

See the plot for an overall picture if the table of numbers
is confusing.

AlleyCat

Sep 18, 2021, 10:53:34 PM9/18/21

On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 08:14:42 -0700, Siri Cruise says...

> I still don't know or care whether climate change is real.

Despite what psycho liberals say, NO ONE believes that the climate doesn't
change.

Do you mean, "I still don't know or care whether climate change is caused by
man"?

Pollution IS a VERY different matter. If you smell and taste sulfur, that's
just the catalytic converters doing their job... burning off excess fuels, so
LESS pollution gets in the air.

CO² is NOT a pollutant.

=====

Tony Heller
@Tony__Heller
Replying to @Reuters

Yesterday : "We need to eliminate CO2"
Today : "We need more CO2"

=====

Peter Clack
@PeterDClack

Oceans have 260 times the mass of atmosphere & hold 94 per cent of all
accumulated heat/energy (atmosphere holds 1 per cent). Ninety-eight per cent of
atmosphere is nitrogen/oxygen - carbon dioxide .04 per cent (410ppm). Forecast
CO2 increase of 2.3ppm a year will change nothing.

=====

The ONLY problem CO² is causing, is that the climate alarmists are using it
falsely to fulfill their agenda. Temperature is NOT rising because of CO², and
they KNOW it.

Temperatures were as high or higher than today, before the Little Ice Age, and
they're using the END of that, for their baseline of what temperatures are
supposed to be.

OK... let's have MORE starvation and MORE people dying of diseases and
hypothermia, BOTH of which result from lower temps than we have now.

Cold weakens the body, allowing viruses to attack it more readily.

=====

Can Cold Weather Affect Your Immune System? | RnA ReSet

https://rnareset.com/pages/can-cold-weather-affect-your-immune-system

How Cold Weather Affects Your Immune System. Now that you understand how the
immune system works, it's time to answer the question that scientists and
laymen have been asking for ages: does the cold weaken the immune system. Cold
weather and immune system response are interconnected for several reasons.

First and foremost, cold weather lowers the immune system's defenses because
there is a reduction in Vitamin D levels. In the winter, people receive less
Vitamin D because they aren't in the sun as much, and research states that
Vitamin D is needed for maintaining a healthy immune system.

Additionally, people spend more time indoors during colder months. Studies
suggest that viruses spread easier indoors and anywhere that people are forced
to be really close together.

=====

Out in the Cold - Harvard Health Publications - Harvard Health

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/out-in-the-cold

Out in the cold. January 1, 2010. No doubt cold weather can be hard on your
health, but there may be a silver lining or two. Winter and its chilly
temperatures are a mixed blessing when it comes to human health. We might not
appreciate it at the time, but cold temperatures perform a great public health
service by killing off disease-mongering ...

Numerous studies have shown that death rates peak this time of year. Blood
pressure increases during the winter, and, by some reckonings, 70% of the
wintertime increase in the death rate can be traced back to heart attacks,
strokes, and other cardiovascular causes of death. And, of course, flu season
is a winter event, and flu viruses spread more readily once the air is dry and
chilly.

Winter darkness, in a literal sense, may make matters worse. Sun-exposed skin
makes vitamin D, a vitamin that seems to have all kinds of health benefits.
During the winter, when days are short and the sun is at a low angle, levels of
the vitamin in the body tend to dip. Cold temperatures and low vitamin D
levels: that may be a bad combination.

=====

How does cold weather affect your health? - Harvard Health

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-does-cold-weather-affect-
your-health

As temperatures drop in the winter, weather-related health problems start to
rise. "The cold weather brings a number of risks, especially for older
adults," says geriatrician Dr. Suzanne Salamon, an instructor at Harvard
Medical School. Here are some ...

As temperatures drop in the winter, weather-related health problems start to
rise. "The cold weather brings a number of risks, especially for older
adults," says geriatrician Dr. Suzanne Salamon, an instructor at Harvard
Medical School. Here are some of the ways you may be vulnerable this winter,
and how to fight back.

At risk: Immune system

During winter months, people spend more time inside and in close contact with
each other, such as in stores, malls, and restaurants. This means that the flu,
coughs, and colds are more easily spread.

What you can do: "Get a flu shot, wash your hands frequently with soap and
water or hand sanitizer, and cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow, not
your hands," says Dr. Salamon.

At risk: Heart

Cold weather acts as a vasoconstrictor, which means it narrows blood vessels.
This raises the risk of heart attack.

What you can do: Dress warmly when going out, with a hat, gloves, and a warm
coat. Don't do any strenuous activity outdoors that may stress your heart, such
as shoveling snow.