Re: Can we slow or even reverse global warming? Fuck No.

Cyrus

Aug 19, 2023, 12:05:03 AM8/19/23
pothead <pothe...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:t1tb4q$38mn1$8...@news.freedyn.de:

> It's called weather and solar flares you stupid fucks. The sun
> activity is increasing and you ignorant pricks in search of government
> funding are conveniently leaving that out. Humans cannot control the
> climate. Deal with it.

Yes. While we cannot stop global warming overnight, we can slow the
rate and limit the amount of global warming by reducing human emissions
of heat-trapping gases and soot (“black carbon”).

If all human emissions of heat-trapping gases were to stop today,
Earth’s temperature would continue to rise for a few decades as ocean
currents bring excess heat stored in the deep ocean back to the surface.
Once this excess heat radiated out to space, Earth’s temperature would
stabilize. Experts think the additional warming from this “hidden” heat
are unlikely to exceed 0.9° Fahrenheit (0.5°Celsius). With no further
human influence, natural processes would begin to slowly remove the
excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and global temperatures would
gradually begin to decline.

It’s true that without dramatic action in the next couple of decades, we
are unlikely to keep global warming in this century below 2.7°
Fahrenheit (1.5° Celsius) compared to pre-industrial temperatures—a
threshold that experts say offers a lower risk of serious negative
impacts.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/can-we-slow-or-even-reve
rse-global-warming

Kym Horsell

Aug 19, 2023, 3:08:01 AM8/19/23
For some downbeat news.
We know that emissions explain (ostensibly) more than 90% of the "additional" CO2 we see in the atm now.
We have a dozen ways of tracking that including isotopic fingerprints of carbon in CO2 and CH4 as well as amount of fuel burned and the effect on atm O2. We are quite sure we have the major
factor CO2 is rusing.

Many people have kinda ignored that other 9%.

But if you cross-corrlate the 3 things -- atm CO2, estimate of emissions, and global temps -- you find that this year's CO2 levels explain this year's temperatures much between (higher R2) than any combination of emissions I've been able to come up with (i.e. different combinations of prev years emissions incl grand total from 1850).

It seems there is an additional increase in atm CO2 (and the situation is complicated by the fact the incresaing CH4 can break down into CO2 in a fear years time). And it seems related to our history of emissions.
The simplest hypothesis is -- the carbon we are digging up out of deep storage where it's been safely out
of the biosphere for 100 million years,
and dumping it into the atm and ocean is PUSHING the natural carbon cycling into
a new pattern. It seems simple carbon abatement is not going to do much.
We just have to stop digging the stuff up by the Gt and burning it.

--
A tale of several R2s:
emissions -> co2 r2 = 93.36%

Emissions dont explain global temps as well as CO2 levels do.
While CO2 levels seem to be 93% explained by emsissions
there seems to be an additional factor present.
Our emissions seem to be pushing the system away
from its old equilibrium.

queensland pharmacy australia

Aug 19, 2023, 9:00:45 AM8/19/23
Order top quality products.