35 Years Ago Today... The Launch of The Biggest Science Hoax In History

AlleyCat

Jun 24, 2023, 3:13:08 PM6/24/23

35 Years Ago Today... The Launch of The Biggest Science Hoax In History

@DrJamesEHansen

ignites climate idiocy with his infamous Senate testimony.

Nothing he claimed or predicted has come true.

Wrong Again: James Hansen 1988 Senate Testimony Edition

NASA scientist James Hansen launched climate idiocy on June 23, 1988 with his
famous Senate testimony. This review of it 35 years later indicates that
Hansen's testimony was largely just hot air, which no doubt contributed to the
legendary stuffiness of the Senate hearing room that day.

Hansen's verbatim oral testimony is presented below with claim-by-claim fact
checks.

###
Hansen Testimony

Mr. Chairman and committee members, thank you for the opportunity to present
the results of my research on the greenhouse effect which has been carried out
with my colleagues at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

I would like to draw three main conclusions. Number one, the earth is warmer in
1988 than at any time in the history of instrumental measurements.
Wrong again, Jim

We don't know what the Earth's temperature is today, let alone in 1988 or
anytime earlier.

First, here is an image of how variable temperatures are around the world:

https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Screen-Shot-2023-06-22-at-
11.14.16-AM-728x523.png

Here is an image showing the distribution of temperature stations circa 1885:

https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/FmzNAweWAAE3aDi-728x534.jpeg

Here is an image showing the distribution of temperature stations as of 2022:

https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/FmzNEnwWYAAy6Fs-728x546.jpeg

So even today, quite a bit of global temperature variability is missed by
Hansen's "instrumental measurements."

Also less than 8% of NOAA temperature stations reliably measure temperature to
within 1°C.

https://junkscience.com/2016/01/only-7-9-of-noaa-temperature-stations-are-
accurate-to-less-than-1c/

https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/C0VYLKdXEAAv2gg.jpeg

Hansen Testimony

Number two, the global warming is now large enough that we can ascribe with a
high degree of confidence a cause and effect relationship to the greenhouse
effect.
Wrong again, Jim

Hansen claimed that emissions were enhancing the greenhouse effect and warming
the planet. But since Hansen's 1988 testimony, it has become clear that El
Ninos, not emissions have been driving warming. El Ninos put more water vapor
(the dominant greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere, causing warming. There
really is no evidence that manmade carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions have caused
any warming.

[...]

https://junkscience.com/2023/06/wrong-again-james-hansens-1988-senate-
testimony-edition/

=====

June: Soooooo Hot!

Brazilian Cattle Freeze To Death

Sea Ice "Unusually Close" To Icelandic Coast

Western Canada's Growers Are Warning Record-Low Temperatures Could Drop Their
Yields By As Much As 50% This Year

Blizzards Batter Australian Alps

Australia's BOM Denies Shepparton Its All-Time Record Low - Inexplicably Raises
Temp 1.1C

Utah Sets New Avalanche Record

Greenland's Summer Snow And Ice Gains Intensify

Exceptional Cold Strikes B.C.

Heavy Summer Snow Hits Canada And U.S.

Low Temperature Records Felled Across Australia

Scandinavian Ski Resorts Save Record Piles Of Snow

Australia's Cold Front Intensifies, Drops A Foot Of Snow

Rare June Flakes Clip Stevens Pass, Record Cold Yakima

World Still Waiting On First 50C (122F) Of 2023, Latest In Decades

California: "Where Are The 100s?"

Record Cold Australia

Historic Lows And Rare Snows Besiege South America

Greenland Still Gaining

Coldest May On Record North Of 80N

Historic Greenland Snow/Ice Gains

Cool Italy

South America's Extreme Temperature Drop

"Coldest May On Record North Of 80N"
Historic Greenland Snow/Ice Gains
Record Cold Europe
Greenland SMB Climbing
Mt Washington's Snowiest June Ever
California's Summer Snow At 13 Feet
Thick Ice Forces Russian Ships To Take The Long Way Round
Record Cold Across Belarus And Latvia
Chill Stretches Perth Power To The Brink
Alerts Issued As Cold Front Smacks Western Australia
Freezing Lows Sweep New Zealand
June Snow In Colorado
'Gold Rush 2.0" Thanks To California's Historic Snowpack
Impressive Greenland SMB Gains
Bone-Chilling Lows Grip Northern India
Extreme Chills Grip Northern Europe
Shimla's Record-Cold Start To June