Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Ship 'SUSAN AND ELLEN,' 1643 to Lynn, Mass.

163 views
Skip to first unread message

Tom Camfield

unread,
May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96
to

I am seeking information on the ship "Susan and Ellen," aboard which
immigrant ancestor Thomas Barnum (or Barnham) and his brother Edward
allegedly emigrated from England to Lynn, Mass., in 1643. Thomas supposedly
was born in Kent, so the debarkation point of the vessel would be of
particular interest...as well as another details.

Thanks for your help.
--
Tom Camfield - camf...@olympus.net

R. Leutner

unread,
May 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/18/96
to

Do you know any others who made the same trip, Tom? Most of us don't
cross-index by ship name! I have some Lynn folks, byt they're filed by
surname.

Bob Leutner
Iowa City IA

Kate Forster

unread,
May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96
to

Tom,

My Planters of the Commonwealth (Banks) shows two Susan and Ellen
arrivals (but only covers 1630 to1640. The first in 1635 lists no
Barnum (Barnham). The second is 1638 and is treated by Banks as follows:

SUSAN AND ELLEN, Edward Payne, Master, sailed from London April 11
and arrived July 17 this year. (Winthrop: Journal, 1, 277)

...."a ship of Barnstaple" arrived September 21 with eighty passengers,
"near all Western people." (ibid, 91)

Rev Marmaduke Matthews 32
Mrs. Katherine Matthews

I can't tell whether this is meant as one entry or two, but no passenger
names are listed except the Matthews'.

BTW, Edward Payne was Master on the 1635 voyage, as well.

Cheers. Kate F.

------

Tom Camfield

unread,
May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96
to

In article <4nlp8p$f...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, av...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
(Kate Forster) wrote:

> SUSAN AND ELLEN, Edward Payne, Master, sailed from London April 11
> and arrived July 17 this year. (Winthrop: Journal, 1, 277)
>
> ...."a ship of Barnstaple" arrived September 21 with eighty passengers,
> "near all Western people." (ibid, 91)

That's all a step forward. The "Susan and Ellen" appears to have been a
regular on the trans-Atlantic crossing...and perhaps "Barnstaple" was a
regular point of debarkation.

Thanks,

Tom Camfield - camf...@olympus.net

Roger L. Walter

unread,
May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96
to

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Tom Camfield wrote:

>> I am seeking information on the ship "Susan and Ellen," aboard which
>> immigrant ancestor Thomas Barnum (or Barnham) and his brother Edward
>> allegedly emigrated from England to Lynn, Mass., in 1643. Thomas supposedly
>> was born in Kent, so the debarkation point of the vessel would be of
>> particular interest...as well as another details.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> --
>> Tom Camfield - camf...@olympus.net
>>
>>

Tom,
You did not say in your post; did you know that the Susan and Ellen
made earlier trip (s)?

J.C.Hotten, in "The Original Lists of Persons of Quality; Emigrants,
etc. published in 1874, provided this info:

REGISTER OF THE NAMES OF ALL THE PASSENGERS FROM
LONDON DURING ONE WHOLE YEAR, ENDING CHRISTMAS,
1635 ... ... ... ... ... ... 33,145
In the Ship BONAVENTURE... J. Ricrofte, Master... ... ... 35

" " HOPEWELL ... I. Wood, Master ... ... ... 39
" " CHRISTIAN... J. White, Master ... ... ... 42

" " REBECCA ... Hodges, Master ... ... 50,54
" " PAUL ... Acklin, Master ... ... ... 50
" " ELIZA & ANN.. R.Cowper[or Cooper], Master 54,57,58
61,69,72,76,77,78
" " ENCREASE ... R. Lea, Master... 55,57,58,60,61,64
" " SUSAN & ELLEN E. Payne, Master ... ... 59,62,76

break ............

IN the SUSAN and ELLIN, EDWARD PAYNE, Mr. bound for New
England, theis pties. hereunder expressed have brought certifi-
cates from the Minister and Justices, of their conformitie, and that
they are no subsidy men.

Years.
Years.
JOHN PROCTER, husbandman... 46 RICHARD SALTONSTALL, husb...23
MARTHA PROCTER .............28 MERRIALL SALTONSTALL .......22
JOHN PROCTER ............... 3 MERRIALL SALTONSTALL .... 9 mo.
MARIE PROCTER ...............1 THO. WELLS .................30
ALICE STREET................28 PETER COOP..................28
WALTER THORNTON, husb.......36 WM. LAMBART.................26
JOANNA THORNTON ............44 SAMUEL PODD.................25
JOHN NORTH .................20 JEREMY BELSHER .............22
MARY PYNDER.................53 MARIE CLIFFORD .............25
FRANCIS PYNDER .............20 JANE COE....................30
MARIE PYNDER ...............17 MARIE RIDDLESDEN ...........17
JOANNA PYNDER...............14 Jo. PELLAM .................20
ANNA PYNDER ................12 MATHEW HITCHCOCK ...........25
KATHERINE PYNDER............10 TOMAZIN CARPENTER ..........35
JO. PYNDER ..................8 EDMOND GORDEN ..............18
RICHARD SKOFIELD ...........22 MARGARET LEACH..............22
EDWARD WEEDEN ..............22 ELIZABETH SWAYNE ...........16
GEORGE WILBY ...............16 ANN WELLS...................20
RICHARD HAWKINS ............15 HANNA SMITH ................30
THOMAS PARKER ..............30 WILLIAM BUTTRICK ...........18
SYMON BURD .................20 ELTZABETH NICHOLLS .........25
JO. MANSFIELD ..............34 ANN FOWLE...................25
CLEMENT GOLD ...............30 THO. SYDLIE ................22
JO. JONES ..................20 MARIE SMITH ................21
WM. BARROW .................19 GRACE BERNLIE ..............30
PHILLIPP ATWOOD ............13 DYONIS TAYLER ..............48
WM. SNOWE ..................18 JO. BACKLEY ................15
EDWARD LUMUS................24

15 May, 1635.

PENELOPY PELLAM, 16 years, to pass to her broth. plantun.

===================


THEIS underwritten names are to be transported to New England
imbarqued in the SUZAN and ELLEN, EDWARD PAYNE, Mr.; the
parties have brought certificates from the Minister and Justices of
the Peace that they are no subsidy men, and are conformable to the
order and discipline of the Church of England.
Years.
A Draper, RALPH HUDSON .......................42
Uxor MARIE HUDSON .......................42
{ HANNA HUDSON....................... 14
3 children { ELIZA HUDSON........................ 5
{ JO. HUDSON..........................12
{ THO. BRIGGHAM .........................32
{ BENJ. THWING ..........................16
servants { ANN GIBSON ............................34
{ JUDITH KIRK ...........................18
{ JO. MORE ..............................41
{ HENR. KNOWLES .........................25
GEO. RICHARDSON .......................30
BEN. THOMLINS .........................18
EDWARD THOMLINS .......................30
BARBARA FORD ..........................16
JOAN BROOMER ..........................13
RICHARD BROOKE ........................24
THO. BROOK.............................18
husbandman, SYMON CROSBY ..........................26
Uxor, ANN CROSBY ............................25
THOMAS CROSBY ...........8 weeks, 1 child.
husbandman, RICHD. ROWTON .........................36
Uxor, ANN ROWTON.............................36
EDWARD ROWTON .................6, 1 child.
husbandman, PERCIVAL GREENE .......................32
ELLEN GREENE ..........................32
2 servants { JO. TRANE..............................25
{ MARGARET DIX...........................18

63

Years.
JO ATHERSON .............. 24
ANN BLASON ............... 27
BEN. BUCKLEY ............. 11
DANIEL BUCKLEY ............ 9
JO. CORRINGTON ........... 33
MARY CORRINGTON .......... 33


14 April. 1635.

========================================================================

Nono die Maii, 1635.

THEIS underwritten names are to be transported to New England,
imbarqued in ye SUZAN and ELLEN, EDWARD PAYNE, Mr. The
pties. have brought Certificate from the Ministers of the Parish of
their conformitie to the Church of England, and that they are no
subsidy men, the pties. have taken the oaths of allegiance and
supremacie.

Years. Years.
PETER BULKLEN ...........50 ELIZABETH TAYLOR ........10
PRECILA FARMAN ..........10 ANN LIEFORD..............13
RICHARD BROOKE ..........24

Bob Anderson

unread,
May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96
to

Does anyone know where I can find a passenger list of this 1640 trip, or
if there were Mansfields aboard?
Thanks, Bob Anderson.
--
G. Robert (Bob) and Maureen Anderson and Family
We invite you to visit our home page at http://www.qni.com/~anderson/

Tom Camfield wrote:
>
> In article <4nr8f2$m...@lunar.eclipse.net>, rlwa...@eclipse.net (Roger L.


> Walter) wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> > You did not say in your post; did you know that the Susan and Ellen made earlier trip (s)?
>

> Yes, I believe I saw reference to 1635 and 1640...as well as the alleged 1643 to Lynn, Mass., with my ancestor Thomas Barnum aboard.
>
> From the list you provided, he obviously did not cross on that particular vessel in that earlier year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom (camf...@olympus.net)

Gary Payne

unread,
Feb 2, 2023, 3:41:46 PM2/2/23
to
On Wednesday, May 22, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Bob Anderson wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find a passenger list of this 1640 trip, or
> if there were Mansfields aboard?
> Thanks, Bob Anderson.
> --
> G. Robert (Bob) and Maureen Anderson and Family
> We invite you to visit our home page at http://www.qni.com/~anderson/
> Tom Camfield wrote:
> >
> > In article <4nr8f2$m...@lunar.eclipse.net>, rlwa...@eclipse.net (Roger L.
> > Walter) wrote:
> >
> > > Tom,
> > > You did not say in your post; did you know that the Susan and Ellen made earlier trip (s)?
> >
0 new messages