first name Greenberry?

Steve and Terri

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Joe Weber (jwe...@intersource.com) wrote:
: In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
: >
: >I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
: >first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
: >Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
: >Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

: I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in
: several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
: in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.

I've also run across the name, most of the time in the late 1700's to
the middle 1800's. In the case of the family name I was
researching, I believe the name came from the name of a small town
in Maryland, which is where the family was during the early 1700's.
It became a family name, so I was puzzled at first when I came across
the name in other (unrelated) families, mostly in Tennessee, although
one was in South Carolina. I've also seen the name spelled Greenbury,
which is how the town name is spelled. I don't believe Greenbury, MD
is on the map any more, but there are other Greenburys -- perhaps, in
your family, the name came from one of these locations.

Terri

--
Steve and Terri Carl
ter...@neosoft.com

cmb...@delphi.com

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96

Joe Weber

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96

I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in

D Kunnecke

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
My ancestor was Greenberry Howard, who came to Crittenden Co. Ky from
Wilson Co. Tenn about 1880. If I remember correctly some messages about
the name on
Genie, it was thought to have originally come from a last name of
Greenberry.

Dot in Ky

Lana K. Poole

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

In Article<5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, <cmb...@delphi.com> write:
> From: cmb...@delphi.com
> Newsgroups: alt.genealogy
> Subject: first name Greenberry?
> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 11:40:07 -0500

> I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
>Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

My 3 Great Grandfather's name was Greenbury Wright and my
Great Grandfather's name was William Greenbury Wright. The
Wrights came from Randolph Co. North Carolina to Harrison Co., IN.
in the early 1800's. I don't know the origin of the name.
I thought maybe it was a last name originally. It was used quite a lot in
this family.

Lana Poole

Rich Kleylein

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
>Lana K. Poole wrote...

> I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree
> whose first names were Greenberry. I think the family was
> originally from Scotland. Has anyone else come across this
> name in their family tree? Can anyone tell me the origin of
> this name? It seems rather odd to me.

I have seen the names Greenberry and Greenbury many times in the
Maryland census records. There are a couple of Greenberry
Watkins' in my own line. I have also seen Greenberry as a
surname in the Annapolis area about two hundred years ago.

Good luck.

--
Rich Kleylein |
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania US | Life is short.

play...@zoom.com

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
I have this name in my line of Sheltons from Tennesee and Virginia.

Reply to play...@zoom.com

Jodi (Swihart) Crandell

jwe...@intersource.com (Joe Weber) wrote:

>In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
>>

>>I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
>>first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
>>Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
>>Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

> I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in

Bill Mac 8

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

--
>Rich Kleylein

There were at least 2 Greenberry McBees and that family was of scot's
origins.

Jean P. McBee |

MALU...@delphi.com

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

Quoting RichKleylein<73611.475 from a message in alt.genealogy

>> I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree
>> whose first names were Greenberry. I think the family was
>Watkins' in my own line. I have also seen Greenberry as a
>surname in the Annapolis area about two hundred years ago.
>Good luck.
Rich,
I know you didn't start this thread, but I wanted to let you know that in
my database I have a Greenberry WILLS who was b. 1824 probably in
KY. In the same database, there are also BERRYs. I looked for GREENs but
didn't find any. My possible explanation for GREENBERRY.

Margo
Malu...@delphi.com

Richard Pence

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96

>>I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
>>first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from

>>Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
>>Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

> I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in

>several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
>in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.

I have encountred this name in several different families - in Maryland,
Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Missouri. It is sometimes rendered as Green Berry
and those "saddled" with it seem to prefer being known as G. B.! It <G> appears
that the name may have originated from some historical character, perhaps as
soldier or politician, but I have never been able to find such a person.

Frank O'Donnell

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
<cmb...@delphi.com> wrote:

>I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
>first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
>Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
>Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

While researching Betts families in Delaware, I've come
across a slight variant -- Greensbury. One fellow was
named this, and his brother liked the name (or the fellow)
so much that he ended up with a nephew with the same name.

I guess the take I have on it is that, whether or not you'd
want the name yourself, it sure makes it easier spotting
that person from, say, one census year to another! The
rest of the family is a tangle of many Josephs, Johns,
Samuels, etc, which are really hard to unsort.

Frank
f...@netcom.com

Angeldrd

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
I've noticed several people, especially in the south, named Greenberry or
Grandbury as first names...it could have something to do with someone
popular in that time period

Virginia Lane

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
Re Greenberry as first name. Southerners have long enjoyed naming
children for heroic figures. I have one of these too. Believe he was
named in admiration of Col. Greenberry of Revolution. vlane

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, Richard Pence wrote:

> >In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
>

> >>I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> >>first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> >>Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
> >>Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.

Linda K. Coram

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
MALU...@delphi.com wrote:
>Quoting RichKleylein<73611.475 from a message in alt.genealogy
> >> I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree
> >> whose first names were Greenberry. I think the family was
> >Watkins' in my own line. I have also seen Greenberry as a
> >surname in the Annapolis area about two hundred years ago.
> >Good luck.
>Rich,
> I know you didn't start this thread, but I wanted to let you know that in
> my database I have a Greenberry WILLS who was b. 1824 probably in
> KY. In the same database, there are also BERRYs. I looked for GREENs but
> didn't find any. My possible explanation for GREENBERRY.
>Margo >Malu...@delphi.com

We have several Greenberry's in our family lines in Kentucky as well.
Almost all of them occurred between 1800 and 1830. Must have been a
real popular name back then!! Kay in Dayton, OH

cmb...@delphi.com

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
Virginia Lane <vl...@efn.org> writes:

>Re Greenberry as first name. Southerners have long enjoyed naming
>children for heroic figures. I have one of these too. Believe he was
>named in admiration of Col. Greenberry of Revolution. vlane

Thanks for the explanation (oh by the way I am the one who started this
thread to begin with). This explanation makes perfect sense to me. The
family line I descend from was located in VA and NC and it wasnt until
after the Revolutionary War that the name Greenberry showed up. Do you
happen to have any pesonal information on Col. Greenberry? I am thinking
that perhaps one of my ancestors served under him in the Revolutionary War
then named on of their kids after him.

Virginia Dieterle

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
Virginia,
There is a Greenberry COPAS/COPUS from Compton Sussex England 1770s; my
father has Greenberry as a middle name, and in researching our last name, I
came across this Greenberry -- not sure if there is a direct line, still
researching.

Virginia (COPAS) Dieterle

crai...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 5:44:27 PM9/1/16
On Saturday, February 17, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Steve and Terri wrote:
> Joe Weber (jwe...@intersource.com) wrote:
> : In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
> : >
> : >I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> : >first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> : >Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
> : >Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.
>
> : I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in
> : several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
> : in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.
>
> I've also run across the name, most of the time in the late 1700's to
> the middle 1800's. In the case of the family name I was
> researching, I believe the name came from the name of a small town
> in Maryland, which is where the family was during the early 1700's.
> It became a family name, so I was puzzled at first when I came across
> the name in other (unrelated) families, mostly in Tennessee, although
> one was in South Carolina. I've also seen the name spelled Greenbury,
> which is how the town name is spelled. I don't believe Greenbury, MD
> is on the map any more, but there are other Greenburys -- perhaps, in
> your family, the name came from one of these locations.
>
> Terri
>
> --
> Steve and Terri Carl
> ter...@neosoft.com
Realizng this is many years since the original post, not sure if you will see this but, just happened across it and have wondered the same thing.

This name occurs in several famlies in Delaware and Maryland -eastern shore in the 1700s and possibly earlier. I have not seen it as a surname here in my many years of research in this area. Most frequently seen in Sussex and Kent Co, De. When it does occur it seems to run thru several generations. You may try entering it as a search in early census records as a primary name.

knuttle

Sep 1, 2016, 7:28:40 PM9/1/16
Greenbury (several spellings) appears in the Watson family that was
centered around Bardstown Ky. in the early 1800's the family and the
name spread west into Indiana, Illinois and western Kentucky. I beleive
there were several incidence of in the Canaday family from the same area.

scott...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2017, 1:51:21 PM10/31/17
My ancestor's with the surname of Ard, immigrated to North Carolina in the 1760's, then to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. My ancestor Greenberry Ard often appeared in documents as Greenbury or even Greenbery. The family believes it was truly "Greenberry", but no clue on the origin.

henry

Oct 31, 2017, 4:17:42 PM10/31/17

On 2017-10-31 17:51:20 +0000, scott...@gmail.com said:

My ancestor's with the surname of Ard, immigrated to North Carolina in the 1760's, then to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.  My ancestor Greenberry Ard often appeared in documents as Greenbury or even Greenbery.  The family believes it was truly "Greenberry", but no clue on the origin.

One source has this information:

The name originated in Anne Arundel County, Maryland around the time of the Revolutionary War in honor of Col. Nicholas Greenberry who was a local hero.

Keith Nuttle

Oct 31, 2017, 5:27:14 PM10/31/17
On 10/31/2017 4:17 PM, henry wrote:
> On 2017-10-31 17:51:20 +0000, scott...@gmail.com said:
>

> My ancestor's with the surname of Ard, immigrated to North Carolina in
> the 1760's, then to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.My
> ancestor Greenberry Ard often appeared in documents as Greenbury or even
> Greenbery.The family believes it was truly "Greenberry", but no clue on
> the origin.
>

> One source has this information:
>

> The name originated in Anne Arundel County, Maryland around the time of
> the Revolutionary War in honor of Col. Nicholas Greenberry who was a
> local hero.

Thank you.

While I can not use it at this time this piece of information may lead
to a couple of generations of my Watson family. We have definite proof
that my wife's Great Grandfather Henry Curse Watson lived in Clinton Ky.
There is about a 70% probability that he was the grandson of James
Watson who was hung in Bardstown Nelson County Kentucky in 1827.

There are several persons named Greenberry (various spellings) in the
extended Watson family. I have found Greenberries in the Nelson County
area, in Southern Indiana, and in Kentucky in the Jackson Purchase*.
Hopefully knowing about Nicholas Greenberry, is an indication of where
the family lived before they appeared in Bardstown.

*Jackson Purchase is the counties in western Kentucky, Hickman, Graves,
Fulton, Carlisle, etc.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

scott...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2018, 1:35:58 PM6/22/18
On Saturday, February 17, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Steve and Terri wrote:
> Joe Weber (jwe...@intersource.com) wrote:
> : In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
> : >
> : >I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> : >first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> : >Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
> : >Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.
>
> : I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in
> : several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
> : in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.
>
> I've also run across the name, most of the time in the late 1700's to
> the middle 1800's. In the case of the family name I was
> researching, I believe the name came from the name of a small town
> in Maryland, which is where the family was during the early 1700's.
> It became a family name, so I was puzzled at first when I came across
> the name in other (unrelated) families, mostly in Tennessee, although
> one was in South Carolina. I've also seen the name spelled Greenbury,
> which is how the town name is spelled. I don't believe Greenbury, MD
> is on the map any more, but there are other Greenburys -- perhaps, in
> your family, the name came from one of these locations.
>
> Terri
>
> --
> Steve and Terri Carl
> ter...@neosoft.com

My ancestors that used the given name of Greenberry came to the South Carolina colony in 1740 from Scotland. The surname was Ard.

prune...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2018, 11:16:01 AM7/29/18
I also have the name "Asberry" along with Greenberry in my Kentucky family tree, so the explanation of Greenberry being named for a general doesn't seem plausible to me.

shmar...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 10:49:24 AM7/30/18
On Saturday, February 17, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Steve and Terri wrote:
> Joe Weber (jwe...@intersource.com) wrote:
> : In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
> : >
> : >I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> : >first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> : >Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
> : >Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.
>
> : I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in
> : several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
> : in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.
>
> I've also run across the name, most of the time in the late 1700's to
> the middle 1800's. In the case of the family name I was
> researching, I believe the name came from the name of a small town
> in Maryland, which is where the family was during the early 1700's.
> It became a family name, so I was puzzled at first when I came across
> the name in other (unrelated) families, mostly in Tennessee, although
> one was in South Carolina. I've also seen the name spelled Greenbury,
> which is how the town name is spelled. I don't believe Greenbury, MD
> is on the map any more, but there are other Greenburys -- perhaps, in
> your family, the name came from one of these locations.
>
> Terri
>
> --
> Steve and Terri Carl
> ter...@neosoft.com

With no other information, I would suspect that "Asberry" was named after early Methodist Francis Asbury.

Keith Nuttle

Jul 30, 2018, 1:03:46 PM7/30/18
I have seen a couple of Greenberry's in my Watson line which is first
seen in Nelson Co Ky in the early 1800.

I have looked at the Name Greenberry (and spelling variants) and found
it was a pre revolutionary war name. There are several Greenberry's in
that war. Here is one
https://www.sutphen.org/genealogy/wilson/greenberry.htm

The name may have got to the US with this Governor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Greenberry

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Robert Carter

Jul 18, 2022, 7:29:24 PM7/18/22
On Saturday, February 17, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Steve and Terri wrote:
> Joe Weber (jwe...@intersource.com) wrote:
> : In article <5tHIqIn...@delphi.com>, cmb...@delphi.com says...
> : >
> : >I have recently come across some individuals in my family tree whose
> : >first names were Greenberry. I think the family was originally from
> : >Scotland. Has anyone else come across this name in their family tree?
> : >Can anyone tell me the origin of this name? It seems rather odd to me.
> : I do not know the origin, but it runs through the MEADOWS family in
> : several generations. It sounds like a bad pun, but one of them, buried
> : in Lawrence Co. Indiana has ' Green Meadows' on his tombstone.
> I've also run across the name, most of the time in the late 1700's to
> the middle 1800's. In the case of the family name I was
> researching, I believe the name came from the name of a small town
> in Maryland, which is where the family was during the early 1700's.
> It became a family name, so I was puzzled at first when I came across
> the name in other (unrelated) families, mostly in Tennessee, although
> one was in South Carolina. I've also seen the name spelled Greenbury,
> which is how the town name is spelled. I don't believe Greenbury, MD
> is on the map any more, but there are other Greenburys -- perhaps, in
> your family, the name came from one of these locations.
> Terri
> --
> Steve and Terri Carl
> ter...@neosoft.com
I have Greenberry in my Patterson lines, presumably from Scotland. Ancestor was Gideon Patterson who was to have come out of Anne Arundel County, Maryland in the early 1700s and they migrated to eastern and western North Carolina.

Bob