Concrete pond renovation ????

speedster

Jul 25, 2002, 4:16:02 PM7/25/02

This is a 2 question topic, first off, my father (now deceased 2 yrs
ago) built a 500-600 gallon concrete pond 40yrs? ago.

It has always had a diverse mixture of fish, Subunkin, Goldfish, &
some small Koi, Rudd & a couple of golden Tench, nothing exotic. with
a biological filter system.

All been fine for all these yrs, except leaks which my Father repaired
as they came, any fish that became too big were found new homes.

3 yrs ago a disease rampaged through the pond wiping out every one of
the carp species leaving only the Rudd & Tench.

The pond is still leaking & getting worse, and needs regular topping
up, I cannot repair due to being in a wheelchair.

The pond is now filled with about 100 + ?? 3 yr old Rudd as well as
the 4 adults, and the adult tench and an unknown number of offspring.
Apart from frogs newts etc etc.

I now would like to do something about the pond, my idea, friends
might do it, is to clear the pond out, lay some 'underlay' then a
liner, I think that would be better than trying to repair the cracked
concrete, which would be a bit???? after 40 yrs.

Any advice or comments on doing/using this method.

The second question, is what do I do with the 100 + maybe 200 Rudd, I
have offered them around, some have been taken, but had not made any
real difference to the amount it seems, they are not very interesting
fish, & I don't know why My father introduced them in the first place.

Nevertheless I want to do the best thing for them, in the UK (I don't
know what country this forum covers) I think it's illegal to 'dump'
them in a river or whatever, & would they survive anyway after a
'domesticated' start.

All very 'newbie' stuff I should think, but constructive comments
welcome.

Regards

Ray

Jim

Jul 25, 2002, 5:40:12 PM7/25/02
>clear the pond out, lay some 'underlay' then a
>liner

I think this (overlaying a liner) is the best solution. As for the
fish, contact local stores and fish clubs/societies to see if they can
help you get rid of the extras.

Good luck.

Jim
Pond, Veggie Filter & Dallas Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Kulwinder

Jul 26, 2002, 6:20:35 AM7/26/02

Which part of UK are you in, Iam in London and could take some fish off you.

Thanks
Kul

"speedster" <the_pid...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

speedster

Jul 26, 2002, 3:21:32 PM7/26/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:20:35 +0100, "Kulwinder" <Kulw...@Jutla.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Which part of UK are you in, Iam in London and could take some fish off you.
>
>Thanks
>Kul

Hi,

I am in SW london?surrey borders.

What did you have in mind, as I need a reasonable No taken, But don't
what the pond left in a mess just yet until I have sorted out a
complete plan.

Regards

ray

Jerrispond

Jul 27, 2002, 9:31:51 AM7/27/02
I think the easiest way to repair the leak is jut to lay a liner in it. I
don't know what a rudd fish is. I don't think we have them in the us. Here a
pet shop would usually take some of the fish for you.....Jerri

speedster

Jul 27, 2002, 1:50:57 PM7/27/02

As it's rough concrete, shouldn't some sort of underlay be laid first
to stop any 'scuffing' which could break through the liner?

Ray

pickersangel

Jul 28, 2002, 9:17:52 AM7/28/02
Roofing felt would be adequate for underlayment. I'd never heard of
rudd or tench either, so I looked up them up on a UK web site. They
seem to be game fish related to carp or bass and perch, especially the
rudd. The golden tench looks like an interesting ornamental, though.
I agree that putting in a liner would be preferable to continued
repair of the concrete pond, especially since there's a physical
disability to consider in future maintenance.

speedster

Jul 28, 2002, 4:20:48 PM7/28/02
On 28 Jul 2002 06:17:52 -0700, mrshi...@prairieinet.net
(pickersangel) wrote:

>Roofing felt would be adequate for underlayment. I'd never heard of
>rudd or tench either, so I looked up them up on a UK web site. They
>seem to be game fish related to carp or bass and perch, especially the
>rudd. The golden tench looks like an interesting ornamental, though.
>I agree that putting in a liner would be preferable to continued
>repair of the concrete pond, especially since there's a physical
>disability to consider in future maintenance.

Yes, something like roofing felt occured to me.

The rudd were supposed to be 'golden rudd' normal colour a dark green
I think, these have a light brown tinge along their sides.

I think there was an attempt to produce real 'golden Rudd' as the
'golden orf' but I suspect it was not too successful.

The Tench look very nice, when you see them, they are shy bottom fish,
and only slide out quickly at feeding time, and then hide away again
:-)

Ray

emma.wa...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 8:53:54 AM4/21/14
These are really nice designs I want to make some changes in my backyard fishpond design for this I'm searching for some new ideas thanks for sharing these ideas.
http://www.pondpro2000.com/why_pondpro.html