[AIF Review] British Fox and the Celebrity Abductions

Kastier

Jul 24, 2004, 5:28:24 PM7/24/04
Boo! Another review, this one of a very recent game. Yes, that's right, I
actually wrote one for a game that isn't 10+ years old. Amazing things CAN
happen.

Comments and opinions are welcome. I'd like some feedback on this one since
this is my first non-"ancient" AIF review.

Congrats to Lucilla for a great game!

Enjoy!

Kast

~*~

Name: British Fox and the Celebrity Abductions
Platform: ADRIFT
Designer: Lucilla Frost
Version:
Release Date: 7/13/2004
Review Date: 7/24/2004
Spoilers in Review: Minor (themes are given away)
Kastier's ranking: 9.2 of 10

Plot synopsis:
You play the game's heroine, the voluptuous and never to be deterred
superheroine, British Fox, invulnerable from damage and strong enough to
bend steel. Through the auspices of a secret organization known as The
Institute, you fight crime with a team of fellow women heroines. This
mission, pits British Fox against the evil Frost Industries and their
nefarious celebrity kidnapping ring. Can British Fox save the kidnapped
celebrities? Can she do it without being captured?

Writing + Plot:
British Fox is very much a fetishist game that focuses on superheroines who
get captured and mistreated. This is the main point of the game, and the
audience being aimed for. As such, the game's content tends to be fairly
raunchy, with nonconsensual sex (rape) being one of the main draws of it,
usually of a fairly kinky nature. Other themes include dominance and pain,
gang bangs, lesbianism, bestiality and impregnation. It's not going to be
everyone's cup of tea.

It took me a while to get through this game. Unlike most, Lucilla Frost has
created a real winner here, not only in length, but in content as well.
There is so much content in fact, that you have to play the game several
times to see it all. And what's there, if you're into it, is pretty darn
hot. This game doesn't have gentle sex scenes. The content is hard core, and
written that way. Not everyone is going to like that particular style of
scene, but for, me, given the subject and the action, it fit perfectly.

For this type of writing, Lucilla has a great style and an active
imagination. There are literally a dozen individual sex scenes of various
kinds, each different and following their own themes. The sex is where it's
at in this game, and the multitude of well written variations makes it all
the more entertaining. If you're in to the various kinks, you'll likely
find the scenes to be very hot indeed... well, that and fairly humorous.
There's some great humor here too, hidden here and there in the action.

Story-wise, this game is a little more meaty than most AIF games, but like
all of them, it's more or less a vehicle for the sexual content. To win the
game though, you must save the day, and there are several ways in which you
can do just that, with multiple ending depending on how well you do. So, the
goal isn't just to get laid as many ways as possible, though you get more
points if you do.

One of the more interesting things I noticed about this game is that there
seems to be a lot of depth to it. Most games throw you into a scenario, and
aside from a paper-thin background, expect you to fill in the blanks
yourself. Lucilla has instead chosen to create a rich background that
permeates the entire game. This background comes in the form of little
references here and there to other bit characters, or past adventures,
events and best of all, villains. She does it so well that you almost
wonder if there is a body of fiction already in existence about British Fox
that she's drawing on. If there isn't, then kudos to Lucilla for her story
creation. It's not easy to pull something like this off so well.

The only thing that really bugged me about the writing in this game is that
the use of punctuation is sometimes a little off. Commas tend not to be
where should or excluded completely. It's not a huge issue, but one that I
noticed.

Overall, the plot progression, writing and style of this game is excellent,
if perhaps a little over the top at times and a little more hard core and
rough than most players will be used to.
Score: 9.5

Technical (design + programming):
British Fox is a great game, but it displays all of the limitations of
Adrift. Lucilla obviously put a lot of time and effort into having this
game beta and playtested. Despite that, it's riddled with little annoying
glitches and technical problems which cannot be blamed on her work. Adrift
is simply not as robust as some of the harder, more technically demanding
languages, and it shows it in this game. Weird tense usages, and odd parser
messages occur occasionally because of this.

On the programmer side of things, I did have a few occasions where I felt
that some of the puzzles were a bit on the obscure side. Some of the
commands, such as "Beg" or "talk dirty" were not exactly intuitive, and
since neither is a generally used AIF command, I never thought of using them
until after I finished the game and looked at a walkthrough.

In addition to this, sometimes obvious synonyms were missed. For example,
starting the car. When I go driving, I usually "start my car." This game
requires you to "start the engine." I had a heck of a time trying to figure
out how to start the britmobile. There are a couple cases like this.

Another issue is the occasional lack of descriptions for objects listed in
the main room description. If you say there's an alarm clock in the room,
let me look at it! That just irritates me. Given the size of this game and
how well it shines otherwise, the occasional occurrence of this can be
overlooked.

All of these shortfalls aside, British Fox is a game that is well designed
and programmed. I encountered no (non-adrift related) bugs while playing.
Gameplay was smooth and scripted events seemed to fit together well with few
issues. There's a great deal of complexity in this game as well, from
random events, to carefully scripted ones, that all fit together perfectly.

Overall, this game is well programmed and solid, with some fun sequences
that show the touch of a skilled and "eye to detail" programmer.
Score: 8

Entertainment Factor:
British Fox stands, in my opinion, as one of the best, most entertaining AIF
Adrift games out there. A multitude of endings, great depth, great sex
scenes, multiple ways to win the game, multiple endings, and a good sense of
humor all contribute to it. Lucilla as woven together all of these into a
fun story with plenty to do and explore.

This is not a small game, nor is it one for those who prefer tame AIF. The
writing will turn off some players, given it's hard core, "bam, bam, bam"
style. But, if you do like the superheroine in danger sort of theme, this
game is for you. It's great fun... especially if you get poor British Fox
into a jam or two. ;)
Score: 10

The Last Word:
This is a game that is definitely targeting a specific audience. It's very
hard core, and the NC aspect will understandably turn some folks off. If
you're looking for a hard core game that has plenty of both sex and puzzles
as well as story, this is it.

Kudos to Lucilla for a great game!

Kastier's ranking: 9.2 out of 10

bob457

Aug 19, 2004, 9:46:55 PM8/19/04
This game sounds great. Where can I find a copy?

Matrix Mole

Aug 20, 2004, 6:33:41 AM8/20/04

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, bob457 wrote:

> This game sounds great. Where can I find a copy?

http://aif.matrixdsolutions.net/games/adrift/version_4.0/
or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aifarchive
(look in the files area)

--
Matrix Mole
MatrixM AIF Archival area http://aif.matrixdsolutions.net

David Whyld

Aug 20, 2004, 8:47:29 AM8/20/04
"bob457" <mara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<19d5652dce8330c1...@localhost.talkaboutgaming.com>...

> This game sounds great. Where can I find a copy?

It's available from the Yahoo Xtrek group. You have to register a
Yahoo account to get it but that's no big deal.

Twothig

Aug 30, 2004, 3:26:53 AM8/30/04

"bob457" <mara...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This game sounds great. Where can I find a copy?

In the files section of the Yahoo group - aifarchive.

Twothig.

Message has been deleted

peternich...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2015, 2:38:14 PM4/10/15
I'm desperate. I can't take the key from Magpie. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know how to proceed. I can't find any help anywhere. Please, if anyone is reading this, help me.

monkey...@hotmail.com

Dec 1, 2015, 9:09:31 AM12/1/15
On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 2:38:14 PM UTC-4, peternich...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm desperate. I can't take the key from Magpie. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know how to proceed. I can't find any help anywhere. Please, if anyone is reading this, help me.

I've been thinking this over for hours and hours trying to find out how man. It seems like a massive bug but nothing covers it. Were you able to find anything?