Did Crusader occur in WC universe?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Thomas Pastor

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one of
the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium) from
Origin's Crusader games? Given that the article was painting a somewhat
negative picture of the Confederation and using the W.E.C. as it's gold
standard, this leads me to believe that the 2 series do occur in the same
universe. Please forgive me if this is already known. I'll dig up my manuals
and check the dates from the Crusader timeline and see if the dates mentioned
there would be consistant with it occuring in the same universe many years
prior to the events in the Wing Commander series.


--Thomas J. Pastor--
tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu

SX Glory

unread,
Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
to
Thomas Pastor wrote in message <6urd5h$l...@wiscnews.wiscnet.net>...

>Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one
of
>the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium)
from
>Origin's Crusader games? Given that the article was painting a somewhat
>negative picture of the Confederation and using the W.E.C. as it's gold
>standard, this leads me to believe that the 2 series do occur in the same
>universe.

Judging by the portrayal of the WEC mentioned in the fiction and the WEC we
know and loathe from the Crusader series we can assume that it is the same
institution. We can also assume that both sagas occur in the same universe
if they are the same WEC, but one does not appear to affect the other, so I
don't think that continuity between the two is a problem.

>Please forgive me if this is already known. I'll dig up my manuals
>and check the dates from the Crusader timeline and see if the dates
mentioned
>there would be consistant with it occuring in the same universe many years
>prior to the events in the Wing Commander series.


I haven't checked the dates, but they seem to fit in from what I recall.

SX Glory
Realm of the Privateer
http://www.dsuper.net/~sxglory
"Until the End of the World"

Edward Pang

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
On 29 Sep 1998 19:41:37 GMT, tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu (Thomas Pastor) wrote:

>Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one of
>the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium) from
>Origin's Crusader games? Given that the article was painting a somewhat
>negative picture of the Confederation and using the W.E.C. as it's gold
>standard, this leads me to believe that the 2 series do occur in the same

>universe. Please forgive me if this is already known. I'll dig up my manuals


>and check the dates from the Crusader timeline and see if the dates mentioned
>there would be consistant with it occuring in the same universe many years
>prior to the events in the Wing Commander series.

The WEC stuff happens in the 2200's. Since WC starts in 2654,
and there are references to the WEC's economic influence and profit
driven economy which paid no attention to the enviroment.... there's a good
possibility that it all did occur Icly. Hell, some of those weapons bear a
passing similarity to the WC ones we see...

---

"Clippy?? CLIPPY??"

"You mean I've been afraid of getting my ass chewed out
by a freak who liked being called Clippy?"

- Lt. Max 'Maestro' Garett, Wing Commander: Secret Ops

SX Glory

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
Delance wrote in message <3611aa4d...@news.newsguy.com>...

>tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu (Thomas Pastor) wrote:
>
>>Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one
of
>>the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium)
from
>>Origin's Crusader games?

>Probably not, since we don't have teleporters on WCU.:)


Unless teleporters were banned a long time ago.

Chris McCubbin

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to

Origin likes to but this kind of continuity in-joke in their games. Remeber
the famous "Kilrathi bones" found in some of the Ultimas, and I wrote in a
reference to Shodan (the evil computer from System Shock) in the Topline
newsletter in the first Crusader, while the second Crusader actually had a
special guest appearance by the Guardian from the Ultimas.

Have fun with them, but don't take them TOO seriously. They're in-joke
"easter eggs," not serious additions to continuity.
--
____________________________________________
A writer wants to affect his reader. He'd prefer that effect not be
expressed in the form of death threats, but beggars can't be choosers.
- Jose Chung
Chris W. McCubbin, Writer
"A very sick man indeed" - Mondo 2000
Incan Monkey God Studios / www.incanmonkey.com


Thomas Pastor wrote in message <6urd5h$l...@wiscnews.wiscnet.net>...

>Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one
of
>the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium)
from

>Origin's Crusader games? Given that the article was painting a somewhat
>negative picture of the Confederation and using the W.E.C. as it's gold
>standard, this leads me to believe that the 2 series do occur in the same
>universe. Please forgive me if this is already known. I'll dig up my
manuals
>and check the dates from the Crusader timeline and see if the dates
mentioned
>there would be consistant with it occuring in the same universe many years
>prior to the events in the Wing Commander series.
>
>

> --Thomas J. Pastor--
> tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu

Edward Pang

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
SX Glory wrote:
>
> >Probably not, since we don't have teleporters on WCU.:)
>
> Unless teleporters were banned a long time ago.

Hell, for all we know, the teleporters were abandoned
due to problems with genetic scrambling... ;) Or they're
just never seen.

MCheu

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
On 29 Sep 1998 19:41:37 GMT, tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu (Thomas Pastor)
wrote:

>Hi, in the WCSO Episode 5 fiction, there is reference to the W.E.C. in one of


>the ISDN messages. Is this the same W.E.C. (World Economic Consortium) from
>Origin's Crusader games? Given that the article was painting a somewhat
>negative picture of the Confederation and using the W.E.C. as it's gold
>standard, this leads me to believe that the 2 series do occur in the same
>universe. Please forgive me if this is already known. I'll dig up my manuals
>and check the dates from the Crusader timeline and see if the dates mentioned
>there would be consistant with it occuring in the same universe many years
>prior to the events in the Wing Commander series.
>
>
> --Thomas J. Pastor--
> tjpa...@post.its.mcw.edu

It's not supposed to be, but there's nothing to stop them from trying
to integrate it. Remember Privateer2? Of course it may just be a
bit of an easter egg of sorts, like the Kilrathi fighter in Ultima7.
Thanks

MCheu
mpcheu@nespamezpas_yahoo.com
or mcheu@nespamezpas_ionsys.com

Please remove "nespamezpas_" from the email address
to reply.

Delance

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
"SX Glory" <sxg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Probably not, since we don't have teleporters on WCU.:)
>
>Unless teleporters were banned a long time ago.

Considering that they did work fine in 400 years before WC time, any
imperfections would've been solved by WC time probably.

Unless the shuttle industry lobby forced the use of Shuttles by
confed:)

Anyway, I don't really think they are on the same universe. That
looked like some sort of internal OSI joke. But who knows? (LOAF knows
before you do). :)


>> Delance <<

fix adress for e-mail

Delance

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
mpc...@yahoo.com (MCheu) wrote:

>It's not supposed to be, but there's nothing to stop them from trying
>to integrate it. Remember Privateer2? Of course it may just be a
>bit of an easter egg of sorts, like the Kilrathi fighter in Ultima7.
>Thanks

Well, in some sort of way every single Origin "world" is part of the
big Origin "universe", however, it does not mean that the events that
happens on Crusader are a part of the history of WC's Terra.

Ben Lesnick

unread,
Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
to
Chris McCubbin wrote:
>
> Origin likes to but this kind of continuity in-joke in their games. Remeber
> the famous "Kilrathi bones" found in some of the Ultimas, and I wrote in a
> reference to Shodan (the evil computer from System Shock) in the Topline
> newsletter in the first Crusader, while the second Crusader actually had a
> special guest appearance by the Guardian from the Ultimas.
>
> Have fun with them, but don't take them TOO seriously. They're in-joke
> "easter eggs," not serious additions to continuity.


Chris McCubbin! There are a bunch more, off the top of my head:) The
HoloVid
(Hail SHODAN) reviewed in Victory Streak (WC3) is System Shock (I
believe the 3DO
version of VS goes as far as to have a little screen shot from SS...).
Of course
there's the Bloodfang (WC2 variant) lying in a field in Ultima 7... and
the
names of Origin personell are everywhere...:) (I think we're up to two
different
Captain Johnny's...). There are Brittania systems in Armada and on the
WCP
Map...:) Anyway, it's all in fun... no specific relations between
the different universes... I think they even went as far as to say that
outright
back when everybody was yelling about the Bloodfang...:)

> --
> ____________________________________________
> A writer wants to affect his reader. He'd prefer that effect not be
> expressed in the form of death threats, but beggars can't be choosers.
> - Jose Chung
> Chris W. McCubbin, Writer
> "A very sick man indeed" - Mondo 2000
> Incan Monkey God Studios / www.incanmonkey.com
> Thomas Pastor wrote in message <6urd5h$l...@wiscnews.wiscnet.net>...

--
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com
"You go, Loaf! Get some!" - JPG

SX Glory

unread,
Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
to
Delance wrote in message <361263a3...@news.newsguy.com>...

>Anyway, I don't really think they are on the same universe. That
>looked like some sort of internal OSI joke. But who knows? (LOAF knows
>before you do). :)


I wasn't trying to be serious, and I don't think Origin was either. It's
like the Kilrathi appearance in one of the Ultimas. A little extra for fans
of both. But either way continuous or not, none of the series affect each
other so no problem is posed.

Night Crawler

unread,
Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
to
"Chris McCubbin" <cmcc...@incanmonkey.com> wrote:

>
>Origin likes to but this kind of continuity in-joke in their games. Remeber
>the famous "Kilrathi bones" found in some of the Ultimas, and I wrote in a
>reference to Shodan (the evil computer from System Shock) in the Topline
>newsletter in the first Crusader, while the second Crusader actually had a
>special guest appearance by the Guardian from the Ultimas.
>

Oh? Where's this reference? Would LOVE to see it!!!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages