Cursed by god to live forever

Marcelo Herrera

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
greatly appreaciated.
Thanks
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?"
--The Joker
| Marcelo Herrera
| login: mher...@cs.ucr.edu

WolfMail

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Marcelo Herrera wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
> ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
> greatly appreaciated.

Read The Unbeholden, by Robert Weinberg. It will be in stores this
week.

-Brad

****************

"I did not believe the phrase 'bodies piled in heaps' until I saw the
battlefield yesterday"

-Captain Emory Upton after the Battle of Antietam

Sean D. Francis

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Marcelo Herrera eloquently stated...

>Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
>was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
>any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
>run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
>about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
>ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
>greatly appreaciated.
> Thanks
I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so yes, he gets
mention in the books...just not directly
--
Sean D. Francis
se...@nwu.edu

Ray

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Sean D. Francis (se...@nwu.edu) wrote:
: Marcelo Herrera eloquently stated...

: >
: >Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
: >was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
: >any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
: >run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
: >about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
: >ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
: >greatly appreaciated.
: > Thanks

: I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so yes,
: he gets mention in the books...just not directly

Err, I don't think so. Methuzelah was a long lived sage in Genesis, I
do believe.

Rick Jones

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

> Marcelo Herrera wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> > was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> > any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> > run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> > about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while

His name was Longinus, and he was just cursed to stick around until Christ
came back because he stuck Jesus with the Spear of Destiny while he was on
The Cross). There was a series of pulp "Men's Adventure" books called
"Casca:The Eternal Mercenary" about Casca's missadventures through
history. The other "cursed guy" was the Wandering Jew, who was cursed
with eternal life until Jesus returned because the W.J. mocked Jesus
carrying the cross to Golgotha.

--
Rick Jones "Ah. You seek meaning."
ri...@blkbox.com 'Yes.'

verkuilen john v

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

ri...@blkbox.com (Rick Jones) writes:

[snip]

>The Cross). There was a series of pulp "Men's Adventure" books called
>"Casca:The Eternal Mercenary" about Casca's missadventures through
>history.

Aside: Written by Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler of "Ballad of the Green Berets"
fame. Of course, Sadler was mysteriously murdered while sitting in a cafe
in Mexico in 1988 (IIRC). Coincidence?

--
J. Verkuilen ja...@uiuc.edu
Beer: It's what's for dinner.

Moiner

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

In article <4oi92m$j...@news.acns.nwu.edu>, se...@nwu.edu wrote:

>Marcelo Herrera eloquently stated...
>>
>>Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struck christ and

>>was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time.

An interesting legend; of course, what about the company of soldiers who
scourged him, beat the stuffing out of him, and put the crown of thorns on
his head? (Oh, sorry, reality intrudes... ;> )

>> And if there is
>>any mention of him in any of the whitewolf's books. Thinking I might

>>run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
>>about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while

>>ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
>>greatly appreaciated.
>> Thanks
>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so
yes, he gets
>mention in the books...just not directly

Sorry, Methuselah's the fellow from before the flood.

There was a series of paperbacks entitled "Casca" with the subtitle (IIRC)
The Eternal Mercenary.

--
Moiner

"nobody knows everything, SO use everything you know!"

Marc17

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Rick Jones wrote:

> > Marcelo Herrera wrote:
> > > Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> > > was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> > > any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might

> > > run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> > > about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
>
> His name was Longinus, and he was just cursed to stick around until Christ
> came back because he stuck Jesus with the Spear of Destiny while he was on
> The Cross). There was a series of pulp "Men's Adventure" books called
> "Casca:The Eternal Mercenary" about Casca's missadventures through
> history.

There is a book 'The Spear of Destiny' which is supposed to be a non
fiction book on hte Nazi's efforts to reclaim the Spear of Destiny,
which is supposedly in some German museum. It has alot of the different
mythologies dealing with Longinus (which means Long lived in latin. I
think his full name is Casius Longinus).

> The other "cursed guy" was the Wandering Jew, who was cursed
> with eternal life until Jesus returned because the W.J. mocked Jesus
> carrying the cross to Golgotha.

While Jesus was caryying the cross to Golgotha, he fell and leaned
against the side of the house. The owner came out and yelled at him to
get off his wall. Jesus said, 'As you have denied me rest, I deny you
rest till I return agian.' Thus this jew is cursed to wander the earth
without rest till the second comeing.There are several books out there
on that subject too.

--17---

Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

se...@nwu.edu (Sean D. Francis) wrote:

>>Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
>>was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
>>any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
>>run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
>>about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while

>>ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
>>greatly appreaciated.
>> Thanks
>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so yes, he gets
>mention in the books...just not directly

>--

The Wandering Jew is Methuselah?

Kestrel
The Fairly Decent Dragon

Moiner

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4oiilv$j...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, ja...@ux6.cso.uiuc.edu
(verkuilen john v) wrote:

>ri...@blkbox.com (Rick Jones) writes:
>
>[snip]
>

>>The Cross). There was a series of pulp "Men's Adventure" books called
>>"Casca:The Eternal Mercenary" about Casca's missadventures through
>>history.
>

>Aside: Written by Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler of "Ballad of the Green Berets"
>fame. Of course, Sadler was mysteriously murdered while sitting in a cafe
>in Mexico in 1988 (IIRC). Coincidence?

Vulgarity?

David van Nederveen Meerkerk

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In <31AC6B...@white-wolf.com> WolfMail <Wolf...@white-wolf.com> writes:

>Marcelo Herrera wrote:
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
>> was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
>> any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
>> run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
>> about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
>> ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
>> greatly appreaciated.

>Read The Unbeholden, by Robert Weinberg. It will be in stores this
>week.

Woeeeeee! I want to get it more and more......

BTW, this soldier appeared in the movie 'The seventh sign'. he tried to
evoke the apocalypse because than his life would finally end.

David

Dan Freed

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Marcelo Herrera wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
> ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
> greatly appreaciated.
> Thanks

You should check out the movie "The Seventh Sign" it gives some really
cool ideas about this character. I am not sure how Biblically accurate
it is, but it is pretty cool.

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Game Designer

A solitary dancer
Lost upon her stage --- Savatage

Todd R. Cockrell

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Marcelo Herrera wrote:

> > Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> > was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> > any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> > run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> > about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
> > ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
> > greatly appreaciated.
> > Thanks

There was a series of books, CASCA written by the late Barry Sadler (of
Ballad of Green Berets fame). The books focused on Casca Longinus the
cursed Roman soldier and charted his journey through time doing the only
thing he knew - be a soldier.

These can usually be found in your bookstores in the Men's Adventure
section.

Todd

Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Marc17 <mcsc...@uoknor.edu> wrote:

>> The other "cursed guy" was the Wandering Jew, who was cursed
>> with eternal life until Jesus returned because the W.J. mocked Jesus
>> carrying the cross to Golgotha.

>While Jesus was caryying the cross to Golgotha, he fell and leaned
>against the side of the house. The owner came out and yelled at him to
>get off his wall. Jesus said, 'As you have denied me rest, I deny you
>rest till I return agian.' Thus this jew is cursed to wander the earth
>without rest till the second comeing.There are several books out there
>on that subject too.

Hmm... way I heard it, the WJ was kind of pissed at his kids getting
offed by Herod, so when Christ was captured, WJ traded places with the
guard so that WJ could whip JC. JC told WJ to "tarry til I come
again."

Darrin Hyrup

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

On Wed, 29 May 1996 22:22:36 +0000 in alt.games.whitewolf, Marc17 (mcsc...@uoknor.edu) wrote:
>There is a book 'The Spear of Destiny' which is supposed to be a non
>fiction book on hte Nazi's efforts to reclaim the Spear of Destiny,
>which is supposedly in some German museum.

And in fact, is supposed to be in some US military werehouse since the end of
WWII.

Best,

Darrin

The Baron

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

On 29 May 1996 20:56:38 GMT, dr...@rahul.net (Ray) wrote:

>Sean D. Francis (se...@nwu.edu) wrote:
>: Marcelo Herrera eloquently stated...

>: >
>: >Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and

>: >was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
>: >any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
>: >run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
>: >about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
>: >ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
>: >greatly appreaciated.
>: > Thanks
>

>: I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so yes,

>: he gets mention in the books...just not directly
>

>Err, I don't think so. Methuzelah was a long lived sage in Genesis, I
>do believe.

more or less right.
of the many people who lived a long, long time in Genisis, Methusalah
lived the longest.

"OK Mr. Methusalah, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, I need to see some ID."
-Tales from the Floating Vagabond

Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

moi...@io.com (Moiner) wrote:

>>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so
>yes, he gets
>>mention in the books...just not directly

>Sorry, Methuselah's the fellow from before the flood.

So Methuselah was an Antedeluvian?

Nils Weinander

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon wrote:

> The Wandering Jew is Methuselah?

No, the wandering jew was called Ahasverus.

Nils W | Here we are!
Office: ni...@einku.ericsson.se | We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: ni...@ibm.net
WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html

Jay Mehaffey

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Sean D. Francis wrote:

> Marcelo Herrera eloquently stated...
> >
> >Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> >was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> >any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> >run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> >about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
> >ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
> >greatly appreaciated.
> > Thanks
> I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so yes, he gets
> mention in the books...just not directly

Methuselah isn't the one who struck Jesus. Methuselah just lived a
really long time (he lived some 900 + years so he obviously had those
life rotes down pat). The roman soldier who poked Jesus is Cassius
Longus (sp?), a compleatly fictional charicter. A soldier is mentioned
in John 19:34 but isn't named. The story that he was cursed to walk
the earth till the second coming was a later addition. There are
actually several such charicters added in later fiction because Jesus
promised that the second coming would occure before all that saw him
live had died. Since it hasn't happened yet the writers created
charicters that saw Jesus but where not yet dead.

I don't recall seeing him anywhere, which is pretty consistant
with WW policy. They imply and suggest but never state anything
about Jesus or his life. Finding Cassius Longus or any other
biblical charicter in person would provide to positive an answer.

Jay Mehaffey

Earl Blanchette

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

The soldiers name was Longinus. I came to this answer in
alt.mythology. I hope it helps. However since this could be wrong,
why not have him change his name in your chronicle since he wants to
remain hidden.

--
"When one Malkavian talks listen, when one Malkavian acts leave,
when two Malkavians gather run." -Gangrel proverb

Moiner

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4oluk9$2...@news-f.iadfw.net>, r...@airmail.net (Kestrel the
Fairly Decent Dragon) wrote:

>moi...@io.com (Moiner) wrote:
>
>>>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so
>>yes, he gets
>>>mention in the books...just not directly
>

>>Sorry, Methuselah's the fellow from before the flood.

>So Methuselah was an Antedeluvian?

By definition!

Moiner

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <31AEB94A...@einku.ericsson.se>, Nils Weinander
<ni...@einku.ericsson.se> wrote:

>Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon wrote:
>
>> The Wandering Jew is Methuselah?
>
>No, the wandering jew was called Ahasverus.

Now that's *really* strange, given that Ahasuerus is a variant form of
Artaxerxes (see the book of Esther), a *Persian* name... (guess he
wandered pretty far, eh?)

Moiner

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <shadesDs...@netcom.com>, sha...@netcom.com (Darrin A.
Hyrup) wrote:

That would be the US military werehouse codenamed: Apocalypse?
(when it's in Crinos, it's a shopping mall)

DShomshak

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4ojc95$e...@news-f.iadfw.net>, r...@airmail.net (Kestrel the
Fairly Decent Dragon) writes:

>>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so
yes,
>he gets
>>mention in the books...just not directly

>>--

>The Wandering Jew is Methuselah?

I share your puzzlement, Kestrel. The only name I'd heard for the Roman
soldier was Longinus. I never heard about him being cursed to wander the
Earth until Doomsday, though. The Wandering Jew, often named Ahasueras
(or variations thereof) was cursed for mocking Jesus on the road to
Golgotha, or at least that's the version I read. (The Wandering Jew is
also a central character in Robert Weinberg's novel, The Devil's Auction,
but in this case he turns out to be
Judas Iscariot. I don't know whether this is an authentic version of the
legend or if it's just something Weinberg made up.)

The _spear_ the Roman soldier used, however, has acquired a mythology.
Supposedly it is a magic item of apocalyptic power. You can read about it
in a rather nutty book called "The Spear of Destiny" (sorry, don't know
author's name).

The Wandering Jew would make a great WoD character, though. He makes a
very impressive appearance in Matthew Lewis' "The Monk."

Dean Shomshak

Moiner

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4op6o6$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, dsho...@aol.com
(DShomshak) wrote:

>In article <4ojc95$e...@news-f.iadfw.net>, r...@airmail.net (Kestrel the
>Fairly Decent Dragon) writes:
>
>>>I believe that man's name is Methusalah (sp? but you get the point) so
>yes,
>>he gets
>>>mention in the books...just not directly
>>>--
>>
>>The Wandering Jew is Methuselah?
>
>I share your puzzlement, Kestrel. The only name I'd heard for the Roman
>soldier was Longinus. I never heard about him being cursed to wander the
>Earth until Doomsday, though. The Wandering Jew, often named Ahasueras
>(or variations thereof) was cursed for mocking Jesus on the road to
>Golgotha, or at least that's the version I read. (The Wandering Jew is
>also a central character in Robert Weinberg's novel, The Devil's Auction,
>but in this case he turns out to be
>Judas Iscariot. I don't know whether this is an authentic version of the
>legend or if it's just something Weinberg made up.)

An interesting invention, given that Judas died of what appears to be a
combination of hanging and seppuku.

Boedyn - Lord of Cruelty

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

With the box that has the Arc to the left,

and the box with drive to the UFO on the right...

This is not a challenge of the veracity of

your statement, but iis this a urban myth, or is it

written down some where? I am just curous about

your sourse (so I can get my own paws on it).

--
BOEDYN - Lord of Cruelty and Wet Willies in Hell

Boedyn - Lord of Cruelty

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

I meant to say this in my last posting

but forgot; who wrote "Spear of Destiny," when was it

published, etc....I would like to find myself a copy

and need this information.

Thank you.

Darrin Hyrup

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

On Sat, 01 Jun 1996 02:38:36 -0600 in alt.games.whitewolf, Moiner (moi...@io.com) wrote:
>In article <shadesDs...@netcom.com>, sha...@netcom.com (Darrin A.
>Hyrup) wrote:

>>On Wed, 29 May 1996 22:22:36 +0000 in alt.games.whitewolf, Marc17
>(mcsc...@uoknor.edu) wrote:
>>>There is a book 'The Spear of Destiny' which is supposed to be a non
>>>fiction book on hte Nazi's efforts to reclaim the Spear of Destiny,
>>>which is supposedly in some German museum.
>>
>>And in fact, is supposed to be in some US military werehouse since the end of
>>WWII.

>That would be the US military werehouse codenamed: Apocalypse?
>(when it's in Crinos, it's a shopping mall)

Got me. As far as I know (and care) it is probably the same one the Arc is
supposedly in. :) Such is the fate of urban legends, after all. I was told
that it was in a wherehouse by someone who supposedly read it in a sequel to
the original book. Of course, this person also believes such things, so one
can never tell.

Best,

Darrin

Moiner

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Hyrup) wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jun 1996 02:38:36 -0600 in alt.games.whitewolf, Moiner
(moi...@io.com) wrote:
>>In article <shadesDs...@netcom.com>, sha...@netcom.com (Darrin A.
>>Hyrup) wrote:

>>>And in fact, is supposed to be in some US military werehouse since the end of
>>>WWII.
>
>>That would be the US military werehouse codenamed: Apocalypse?
>>(when it's in Crinos, it's a shopping mall)
>
>Got me. As far as I know (and care) it is probably the same one the Arc is
>supposedly in. :) Such is the fate of urban legends, after all. I was told
>that it was in a wherehouse by someone who supposedly read it in a sequel to
>the original book. Of course, this person also believes such things, so one
>can never tell.

er. it's a joke, see.
werehouse. were-house. instead of wAre-house.

sigh. never mind...
...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
...until next week, when the control voice takes you...

Nils Weinander

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Moiner wrote:

> >No, the wandering jew was called Ahasverus.
>
> Now that's *really* strange, given that Ahasuerus is a variant form of
> Artaxerxes (see the book of Esther), a *Persian* name... (guess he
> wandered pretty far, eh?)

It gets worse: Artaxerxes is the greek form of the persian kingly
name Ardasjir. (Just as Xerxes real name was Khsajarsa and Darius'
was Darajavus).

Marc17

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Nils Weinander wrote:

> Moiner wrote:
>
> > >No, the wandering jew was called Ahasverus.
> >
> > Now that's *really* strange, given that Ahasuerus is a variant form of
> > Artaxerxes (see the book of Esther), a *Persian* name... (guess he
> > wandered pretty far, eh?)
>
> It gets worse: Artaxerxes is the greek form of the persian kingly
> name Ardasjir. (Just as Xerxes real name was Khsajarsa and Darius'
> was Darajavus).

If I remember corretly from when I read a book on the subject, the name
Ahausuerus first appeared around the 14th century in german pamphlets
talking about the wandering jew. This is also one of the earliest known
references to the subject also.

As a side story, a friend of mine mentioned a story he had read but I
forget the title of the book which I believe he said was written around
the 16th century(?). A man decided to take a pilgramage to Rome. Along
the way he runs into a wandering jew who is also imortal named
Malkisidick(so?). He tried to tell this wandering jew of the wonders of
Christianity and get him to convert bu the jew refused and responed by
saying that Jesus was a jew and he knew what he was doing and telling
the man he should convert to judiasm. Neither comlied, but the jew
agreed to go with this man to Rome. Once in Rome they veiwed the
treachery and vices which were present at the time including murders,
orgies, little boys, etc. The mans faith is shattered. My freind went on
to say that this book was banned by the Catholic church as sacraligious
and had always been considered fiction. However when it was compared to
other sorces it matches what they said was goin on in Rome at the time
with regards to the coruptions of the Papal office and may have some
basis in fact. I don't know what this book is called or if my friend
just made it up or not, but it seems like and interesting tale.

--17---

Moiner

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In article <31B311...@uoknor.edu>, Marc17 <mcsc...@uoknor.edu> wrote:

(snip)

>As a side story, a friend of mine mentioned a story he had read but I
>forget the title of the book which I believe he said was written around
>the 16th century(?).

The tale is from the Decameron of Boccacio, and is a stone hoot.

> A man decided to take a pilgramage to Rome. Along
>the way he runs into a wandering jew who is also imortal named
>Malkisidick(so?). He tried to tell this wandering jew of the wonders of
>Christianity and get him to convert bu the jew refused and responed by
>saying that Jesus was a jew and he knew what he was doing and telling
>the man he should convert to judiasm. Neither comlied, but the jew
>agreed to go with this man to Rome.

In the tale, the jew goes to Rome alone, but that's ok--

> Once in Rome they veiwed the
>treachery and vices which were present at the time including murders,
>orgies, little boys, etc. The mans faith is shattered.

No, here you miss the best part: the jew returns, and tells of all the
vice he saw. The christian remorsefully apologizes, whereupon the jew
interrupts, "no, you see, I'm converting to Christianity-- for if your
religion were not true, God would surely have destroyed all of you long
since for your wickedness!"

> My freind went on
>to say that this book was banned by the Catholic church as sacraligious
>and had always been considered fiction.

The Decameron is fiction, yes. There's no big surprise that the Church
considered it quite impious (try the story of Rustico and Alibech, for
example), but the book is *explicitly* a collection of *stories* told by
fictional people hiding out at an estate while the plague rages across
Italy.

>However when it was compared to
>other sorces it matches what they said was goin on in Rome at the time
>with regards to the coruptions of the Papal office and may have some
>basis in fact. I don't know what this book is called or if my friend
>just made it up or not, but it seems like and interesting tale.

Boccacio's Decameron. Some of the tamer tales show up in a film called
"Decameron Nights", and as I recall Pier Paolo Pasolini did another film
version as well.

Jerome Fouletier

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Marc17 wrote:

> As a side story, a friend of mine mentioned a story he had read but I
> forget the title of the book which I believe he said was written around

> the 16th century(?). A man decided to take a pilgramage to Rome. Along

> the way he runs into a wandering jew who is also imortal named
> Malkisidick(so?). He tried to tell this wandering jew of the wonders of
> Christianity and get him to convert bu the jew refused and responed by
> saying that Jesus was a jew and he knew what he was doing and telling
> the man he should convert to judiasm. Neither comlied, but the jew

> agreed to go with this man to Rome. Once in Rome they veiwed the

> treachery and vices which were present at the time including murders,

> orgies, little boys, etc. The mans faith is shattered. My freind went on

> to say that this book was banned by the Catholic church as sacraligious

> and had always been considered fiction. However when it was compared to

> other sorces it matches what they said was goin on in Rome at the time
> with regards to the coruptions of the Papal office and may have some
> basis in fact. I don't know what this book is called or if my friend
> just made it up or not, but it seems like and interesting tale.

Another "wandering man" story that I read was about a man coming
to a shoemaker as night sets. He asks the craftsman to repair his
shoes, which are worn by his travels. The shoes are quite peculiar,
since they leave the toes exposed, but the traveller insits that
they're very comfortable. As the shoemaker sets to work, the traveller
falls asleep.
Once he's finished nailing back the heel, he notices how neat and
well-done the shoes are, and, since the traveller's still asleep,
he put them on, and finds the shoes fit him perfectly. But he soon
feels the urge of going out of his shop, out of his town and on
the road.
I *think* I read that in a collection of stories by Isaac B. Singer
but I really can't remember all that clearly. Any lights shed on that?

Another take on the wandering jew can be found in Potocki's
"Manuscript found in Saragossa", back in 1820-something.

JF.

Justin Rogers

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

: On Wed, 29 May 1996 22:22:36 +0000 in alt.games.whitewolf, Marc17 (mcsc...@uoknor.edu) wrote:
: >There is a book 'The Spear of Destiny' which is supposed to be a non
: >fiction book on hte Nazi's efforts to reclaim the Spear of Destiny,
: >which is supposedly in some German museum.

If you're talking about the book by Trevor something it's written by a friend
of my Dad and the guy did research it and it was written as non-fiction.

--
"Humans and flowers are having sex." "Poo-tee-wheet?" "Everything is true."
Wolves Glen Pub page: www: http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/~jcr1/wolves.html

cd skogsberg

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Yea, let it be known that in <shadesDs...@netcom.com> the scribe
sha...@netcom.com (Darrin Hyrup) wrote thus:

> On Wed, 29 May 1996 22:22:36 +0000 in alt.games.whitewolf, Marc17 (mcsc...@uoknor.edu) wrote:
> >There is a book 'The Spear of Destiny' which is supposed to be a non
> >fiction book on hte Nazi's efforts to reclaim the Spear of Destiny,
> >which is supposedly in some German museum.

> And in fact, is supposed to be in some US military werehouse since the end of
> WWII.

Like the Ark of Commonwealth (or whatever it's called), you mean?

cd
--
"Students are worthless, lazy, degenerate, morally bankrupt scum.
I should know. I am one."

DShomshak

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <moiner-0106...@dialup-56.austin.io.com>,
moi...@io.com (Moiner) writes:

As if a little thing like that would stop a curse from God? Actually, the
Devil's Auction is a pretty good book -- not great, but pretty good.
Weinberg does interesting things with the paraphernalia of classic
grimoire occultism; I'd recommend the book to anyone who plans on playing
an Order of Hermes Mage.

Dean Shomshak

Moiner

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <4p3hkl$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, dsho...@aol.com
(DShomshak) wrote:

>In article <moiner-0106...@dialup-56.austin.io.com>,
>moi...@io.com (Moiner) writes:
>
>>In article <4op6o6$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, dsho...@aol.com
>>(DShomshak) wrote:
>>>(The Wandering Jew is
>>>also a central character in Robert Weinberg's novel, The Devil's
>Auction,
>>>but in this case he turns out to be
>>>Judas Iscariot. I don't know whether this is an authentic version of
>the
>>>legend or if it's just something Weinberg made up.)
>>
>>An interesting invention, given that Judas died of what appears to be a
>>combination of hanging and seppuku.
>
>As if a little thing like that would stop a curse from God?

Well, the burial probably helped, too-- remember Potter's Field?

The Seeker

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

On 2 Jun 1996, Boedyn - Lord of Cruelty wrote:

> I meant to say this in my last posting
>
> but forgot; who wrote "Spear of Destiny," when was it
>
> published, etc....I would like to find myself a copy
>
> and need this information.

The author in question was/is Guido von Liszt.
The title of the book was/is _Spear_of_Destiny_.
An English translation is available.
I believe the one most widely available is by Stephen E Flowers, PhD.
Stephen E Flowers, PhD is best known as Edred Thorsson.
My local Barnes & Noble has a copy; would you like to arrange purchase?

Warmest personal regards,
-= The Seeker =-
-= (i/pi)^inf =-

* Actually, you're right; I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm doing but *
* I'm having an awfully fun time doing it. Pass the jellybabies, please! *
* ====================================================================== *
* My E-mail -- har...@lurch.winthrop.edu OR zzha...@acad.winthrop.edu *
* My wholly unremarkable Home Page -- http://lurch.winthrop.edu/~harrist *
* My RL Address -- 112 South First Street -- Fort Mill, SC -- 29715-9391 *
* Phone 1 (803) 547 7676 -- Best after 6pm EST -- Collect calls accepted *

Boedyn - Lord of Cruelty

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

To paraphase another posting to this

newsgroup "Since when has deaths toped any

one in the WoD from wandering around."

The actual quote I am parapharasing

is "Sence when has death stop any one in the

WoD from selling out."

Perhaps Judas is the first "Risin;" I

say that not having read that book yet.

Hmmm...Judas as a Risin...I like the

concept...

--
BOEDYN - Lord of Cruelty and Wet Willies in Hell

"667; neighbor of the beast." Travis Parks

Fran...@outlook.com

May 23, 2020, 10:40:54 PM5/23/20
On Wednesday, May 29, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Marcelo Herrera wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knew about the soldier who struct christ and
> was cursed to wonder the earth untill the end of time. And if there is
> any mention of him in any of the whitewolfs books. Thinking I might
> run a campaign having to do with him, if I can find out more stuff
> about him. Cant remember where I heard about him but it was a while
> ago, maybe I'll weave a lost clan around him. Any answers would be
> greatly appreaciated.
> Thanks
> --
> "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?"
> --The Joker
> | Marcelo Herrera
> | login: mher...@cs.ucr.edu
Longinus was the Roman soldier who pierced the side of Christ with his spear.His real name is unknown but was made a Saint by The Catholic Church and The Greek Orthodox Church because he was a martyr.He was given the name Longinus which means in Greek long or spear.Longinus was blind on one eye and as he pierced the side of Jesus with his spear some blood from Jesus landed on his eye and he was able to see again.When Jesus finally died on the cross and Longinus witnessed what was happening as the skies grew black and there were earthquakes and stone splitting open at that moment he became a Christian.In fact Longinus scooped up soil with Christ's blood on it under the cross.The soil with Christ's blood is in possession of the Catholic Church and is located in Southern Italy and you can see a photo online of the container in which the blood is kept.Pilate ordered the execution of Longinus and he was beheaded and he could have even gotton away but wanted to die a martyr