Character names

Catriona R

Aug 22, 2006, 11:07:14 PM8/22/06
Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

I'm currently having a laugh because my usual method for choosing character
names (plugging relevant words into a Gaelic dictionary and choosing one I
like that also sounds like a name) turned up the name Naomh for my
forthcoming Draenei priest, meaning "holy". I thought I'd google it just
now and see if I could find out how to pronounce it (turns out it's
pronounced "Nay-v", which I quite like), and discovered to my surprise that
it *is* actually a real name!

Not one I'd ever heard of before but it comes up on a few baby name sites;
thankfully it is female, as I'd already decided my priest was to be female
(pending my actually seeing some Draenei ingame; I don't like the male
shape and animations much from videos I've seen, haven't seen enough of the
females yet), but much to my horror on checking warcraftrealms.com I find a
lot of other characters with that name. None listed on my server but right
now I'm cursing the maintenance, as I'm thinking it'll be a rather good
idea to make a placeholder character to reserve the name :-P
--
EU-Draenor:
Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 60)

Rastus

Aug 22, 2006, 11:23:23 PM8/22/06
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Bit on a Manga/Anime nut so I tend to go for Japanese names and words. My
current mains name is "Ishikawa" which is both the name of a prefecture in
Japan and a family name. It is also the name of one of the Section 9
characters in Masamune Shirow's "Ghost in the Shell" series.

Indiana Joe

Aug 23, 2006, 12:23:00 AM8/23/06
In article <4kgne29mkc0j9qrk3...@4ax.com>,
Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

I use one of the name generators at <http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~pound/>.
I don't think I'm the only one who does, though. I was creating a
character the other day and quite a few of the names I liked were
already taken.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
india...@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

The DA

Aug 23, 2006, 2:25:58 AM8/23/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

I set my name to 'TheDA' but didn't realise that all trailing caps would be
switched to lower case. So, now I'm 'Theda', as in Theda Bara (try IMDB if
you don't recognise the name). A female silent-film star. And me a bloke!

Ashen Shugar

Aug 23, 2006, 2:59:58 AM8/23/06
I think it was Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> that wrote
something like...

>Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Shugar: as from the character Ashen-Shugar from Raymond E Feists
books.
Sheepherder: from Shepherd Book from the Firefly Series. Shepherd was
already taken.
Shazzash as I'd already made two characters starting with Sh, Ash at
the end from the Ashen I tend to use, and the 'azz' in the middle to
make it a bit like Shazzam, as it's a mage character.
Tenacity: From the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and the characters
in there being named after virtues and the like.
Indomitable: See Tenacity.
Hunter's Cat is called "Kitty". I call all the horses at work with a
name vaguely related to cats Kitty. ie Cougar, Tabby. I also call
both the cat's at work "Kitty" most of the time.
Hunter's Bear is called "Bolo" from Keith Laumers books.

So yeah, mostly the names come from books I've read in some fashion.
Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Urbin

Aug 23, 2006, 3:01:41 AM8/23/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:07:14 +0100, Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Just some vacant staring at my monitor until inspiration hits me.
Interestingly enough, the names of those three chars I play more or less
regularly all have a U in their names, might have to do with the fact that
my RL name also has one ;-)

I can't recall all the names of the chars I created and played to anywhere
between levels 2 and 7, mostly on the horde side after Urbin hit 60. Gera,
my human pally has been idly sitting in Stormwind at level 26 for months
now...

Cheers
Urbin
--
Urbin (60), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sunh (44), Nightelven Priest (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

steve.kaye

Aug 23, 2006, 3:09:10 AM8/23/06

Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

I, generally, do what Ashen does - I name my characters after
characters in books or films. I choose side characters, though, never
main characters and it's nothing to do with my liking the character -
it's just the name.

My last name was for a troll so I looked for a name I liked on a
Jamaican baby names site.

I think that its funny to see characters with name like those out of
films where they couldn't get the real name - Leqolas, Leggolas,
Legolaas etc.

steve.kaye

Kai Sauerzapfe

Aug 23, 2006, 3:37:34 AM8/23/06

"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>
> I'm currently having a laugh because my usual method for choosing
> character
> names (plugging relevant words into a Gaelic dictionary and choosing one I
> like that also sounds like a name) turned up the name Naomh for my
> forthcoming Draenei priest, meaning "holy". I thought I'd google it just
> now and see if I could find out how to pronounce it (turns out it's
> pronounced "Nay-v", which I quite like), and discovered to my surprise
> that
> it *is* actually a real name!
>
> Not one I'd ever heard of before but it comes up on a few baby name sites;
> thankfully it is female, as I'd already decided my priest was to be female
> (pending my actually seeing some Draenei ingame; I don't like the male
> shape and animations much from videos I've seen, haven't seen enough of
> the
> females yet), but much to my horror on checking warcraftrealms.com I find
> lot of other characters with that name. None listed on my server but right
> now I'm cursing the maintenance, as I'm thinking it'll be a rather good
> idea to make a placeholder character to reserve the name :-P

I usually use Battletec aerospace-fighter names. Ok, not that creative, but
noone seems to recognize them as such.
My mains are named
Chippewa and Chaeronea.
The only problem is, that my raidleader can´t pronounce any of them. :)

Kai

Devast8or

Aug 23, 2006, 3:41:12 AM8/23/06

"Indiana Joe" <india...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> In article <4kgne29mkc0j9qrk3...@4ax.com>,
> Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Just curious about how other people come to choose their character
names?

> I use one of the name generators at <http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~pound/>.
> I don't think I'm the only one who does, though. I was creating a
> character the other day and quite a few of the names I liked were
> already taken.

I used a name generator for my first char. Turned out that the name I chose
was actually a RL russian/chezch(sic?) name. No wonder the first guild I
joined was almost all chezch people, and later people spoke russian to me,
when meeting me out in the world. So I stopped using a name generator :)

Devast8or

killm...@gmx.de

Aug 23, 2006, 3:42:18 AM8/23/06
Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Anagrams, f.e. my warlock has the name Larckow.

Bruce L Grubb

Aug 23, 2006, 3:59:21 AM8/23/06

Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Mine come from a wild number of sources

Necronmaxima - Nercon Maximara was a very old D&D character of mine who
was a necromancer. Became warlock

Thantia - Necron's wife. Name is a femization of Thantos (Greek Death).
She became a Druid.

Linainverse - from Slayers anime, Lina Inverse. She is a mage

Tumahab - from D&D; Its Bahumut backwards (yep he's a paladin)

My planned characters will come from D&D and the latin names for
elements.
Hydrar for example is derived from the latin name for mercury.

Christian Stauffer

Aug 23, 2006, 3:59:51 AM8/23/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

The original RP background of my dwarf was that he was found half dead
by some wandering elfes in the mountains of Dun Morogh. As he didn't
know his name nor anything else about his past, but looked like he's
spent his entire life out in the wild, they gave him the name "wild".
His bear, who guarded his master like a berserker, so that the elfes
had to soothe and hybernate him, earned the name "warrior".
Gwaith ("wild") and Maethor ("warrior") were both borrowed from
J.R.R. Tolkiens Sindarin language, because I had no idea if there's
a real elfish language in Warcraft, and where to find it.

My other characters names don't mean anything, though :-)

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Gwaith - Short beastmaster (60) on EN Scarshield L. [RPPvP]

Matt McLeod

Aug 23, 2006, 4:13:22 AM8/23/06
Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

It varies. For a while I was looking for culture-appropriate
names from websites like babynamesworld.com (i.e., Scots/Irish
names for dwarves, Jamaican for trolls, and so on) but these
days they're often puns, pop-culture references, or local slang.

For example, my main is a mage called Sooty. I have a priest
called Shonky. I used to have an array of Lizbets on various
realms, though those have been consolidated somewhat to one
Lizbet and one Cuddlemuffin.

The other option is picking names that'll go well with our
guild name, <Bear>. Our esteemed guildmaster uses lots of
Care Bear names.

Matt

Erich

Aug 23, 2006, 7:43:31 AM8/23/06
Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Interesting thread, thanks!

I'm not very consistent, but try at least to think a little before
choosing a name.

Kroagg - primitive as a Cro-Magnon, aggressive, sounds orcish enough
Rattlehead - a tribute to Megadeth's mascot, Vic Rattlehead (yes,
he's undead)
Loxar - sounds a bit like 'lok tar' (yes, another orc) and is a warlox
Shamooh - not very imaginative for a tauren shaman, I agree
Voodude - you guessed it, troll mage

On RP-PvP, I tried not to violate RP rules:
Nylenia - I took some time to look at the names of female night-elves
and concluded something with enough y's and l's would be ok
Abbygail - nothing special, Abigail wasn't available
Griitli - a perfect Swiss name for a girl, maybe a bit out of fashion
and sometimes used in a disrespectful manner, but fits in well with
other well-known dwarvish names :-)
Sealot - a zealot who uses his seals alot (human paladin). So far I've
been able to get away with it :-)

Erich

Crispus

Aug 23, 2006, 7:56:49 AM8/23/06
I use the tried and true scientific method of hitting random until I
get a name with 4 letters, 2 consonants and 2 vowels and then I stick
another consonant on the end. Thus I generated:

Dena
Joda
Bero

whick I turned into

Denak
Jodak
Beron

No preconceptions that what on who/what the character is (not that I'm
on a roleplaying server).

-Crispus

Nick Vargish

Aug 23, 2006, 8:00:56 AM8/23/06

I've been picking names from real and fictional people...

Ellenfeiss: see http://ellenfeiss.net.

Aynrand: I don't really agree with her philosophy, but I think she was
a keen observer of human nature, and an interesting figure. Gets me
into interesting conversations, sometimes.

Maryprankstr: A punk/rock band from Baltimore, disbanded Nov 2005
sadly. You might still be able to listen to some of their music at
http://marypranskster.com.

Jackiebrown: My warrior, she has some rage issues.

Moneypenny: AH mule, seemed appropriate.

I got a million more.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

Jack D

Aug 23, 2006, 8:33:23 AM8/23/06
On 2006-08-23 05:07:14 +0200, Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> said:

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

I tend to go for Mythological names. Browse the net for names of
ancient gods. Nergal being the Babylonian god of the Underworld and the
negative aspect of the sun, he was often considered a Demon, and seemed
a perfect fit for a Warlock :) Added the 'h' for Warcraft reasons (for
some reason lots of WoW chars have h's in their names...).

After playing for about a week (made that char the day WoW was released
in Europe) I ran into Nergal without 'h' on my server. Hadn't seen him
for a while, and recently he popped up again and is in our guild now :)

Chasey is named after Chasey Lain, result of some innerguild jokestuff...
--
http://www.dagon-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock L60 - Bloodscalp EU

PGerringer

Aug 23, 2006, 9:18:56 AM8/23/06
Last night in cross-server BGs I stomped a hole in a gnome's head in
the 40-49 bracket. He was a lock named smeegle. I thought, "How sad!
You must die." :)

Seriously, almost all my names are random to a point. I find a random
name I like then if its taken I change some of the letters to make the
same sound just different spelling. My main "Korisaaya" is 100%
generated as is my PvP Awnee. The only regret I have though is Awnee
started out being a female tauren. Now HE's a male tauren with a
female name. Oh well...

Catriona R

Aug 23, 2006, 10:42:40 AM8/23/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:41:12 +0200, "Devast8or" <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I used a name generator for my first char. Turned out that the name I chose
>was actually a RL russian/chezch(sic?) name. No wonder the first guild I
>joined was almost all chezch people, and later people spoke russian to me,
>when meeting me out in the world. So I stopped using a name generator :)

Hehe, doh :-) I've never used a generator, but I guess my dictionary
method has much the same effect, looking through words till I find one I
like. I just hope I never acidentally make something with a not-so-good
meaning in another language!

Message has been deleted

Catriona R

Aug 23, 2006, 10:45:28 AM8/23/06
On 23 Aug 2006 00:09:10 -0700, "steve.kaye" <nos...@giddy-kippers.co.uk>
wrote:

>I think that its funny to see characters with name like those out of
>films where they couldn't get the real name - Leqolas, Leggolas,
>Legolaas etc.

Argh yes, far too many Gimli variants on my server. I don't really like
those names, taking side characters from books is alright; I like a lot of
the lesser-known names in Tolkien's books, but the major ones just scream
lack of imagination to me, especially when they've been spelt differently
to get around them being taken by someone else with an equal lack of
imagination.

Catriona R

Aug 23, 2006, 10:46:43 AM8/23/06

Now that's one I never thought of, I like that name :-)

Catriona R

Aug 23, 2006, 10:48:56 AM8/23/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:59:51 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildc...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

>"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>
>The original RP background of my dwarf was that he was found half dead
>by some wandering elfes in the mountains of Dun Morogh. As he didn't
>know his name nor anything else about his past, but looked like he's
>spent his entire life out in the wild, they gave him the name "wild".
>His bear, who guarded his master like a berserker, so that the elfes
>had to soothe and hybernate him, earned the name "warrior".
>Gwaith ("wild") and Maethor ("warrior") were both borrowed from
>J.R.R. Tolkiens Sindarin language, because I had no idea if there's
>a real elfish language in Warcraft, and where to find it.

I like that story :-) Was kinda thinking of something similar myself for a
possible character on a RP realm, undead rogue naming himself something
that means vengeance or hatred or something similar, as his old name no
longer matters to him.

Nieriel

Aug 23, 2006, 11:01:08 AM8/23/06
"Catriona R" wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

<snip>

Nieriel the Night Elf Hunter - Nier(e) is Elvish for "bee", Deborah (my real
name) is Hebrew for "bee". A typical ending for female Elf names is "iel".
I pronounce it Neer-ee-ell.

Ruadhri the Human Warrior - I made a male red-headed (and bearded) warrior
and he needed a name. I found Ruadhri at a name site and it seemed to fit -
it means "Red King" and was the name of the last Irish king. It's
pronounced "Rory". There are several ways to spell the name (including
Scottish versions) and I picked the one I liked best.

Pynk the Gnome Mage - she has pink hair. What more is there to say?

Piksee the Gnome Rogue - I wanted Pixie (or some variation) and that's the
closest I could get.

Rhowyn the Dwarf Hunter - Rowan is Gaelic for "little red one". She's short
and has red hair (I'm also short and have reddish-brown (and silver!) hair).
Tada!

I tend to use Nieriel and Rowan a lot (usually with a different spelling
because it seems to be popular, it's also used as a guy's name).

The site I usually go to for names is here:
http://www.behindthename.com/

Other useful name links:

http://flowers.iloveindia.com/flower-language/flower-a.html
(good for Halfling/Hobbit females)

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONNames.shtml
(Norse names, good for Dwarves)

http://www.rialian.com/elven-language.htm
(Elvish names, or base words to work from)

http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html
(More Elvish)

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/fantasylinks.htm
(Links to many, many types of names)

I hope this was interesting and/or helps!

BombayMix

Aug 23, 2006, 11:10:31 AM8/23/06
Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Well I long ago came up with a naming convention. Saves time scratching
my head every time a game requires me to name something. A lot of the
names I use have classes and even colours associated with them

For guys I use Indian food names! All came about cause a guy I used to
work with ate bombaymix every day. It had the most artificially
coloured green chippeas I've ever seen. Me and my mate must have been
really bored at work cause we found this highly amusing at the time.
Anyway, one day I need a name for a male char and BombayMix seemed a
good fit. Everyone loved it and the Indian food convention stuck.
BombayMix usually a warrior in green, although in WoW his a long
forgotten lvl 10 dwarf hunter.

RoganJosh, is my main in WoW. A name of a Indian curry for those that
don't know. Rogan had a few pets called pilau, basmati and peshwai
naan (All side dishes for said curry)! Although I should of taken more
then 2 seconds thinking of a name for my normal pet, The Rake, which I
called Rake. DOH!!!

Have an alt called Masala (A curry sauce) His a troll warrior and was
created while I was seeing what horde char to play. Might get a real
outing one day but now just a banker alt.

Got the names Jalfrezi, Biryani, Balti reserved for the expansion.

For girls I use Japanese girls name.

Probably the name I've used the most in mmogs is Iori. Iori is
normally a mage/healer and decked out in the brightest red coloured
armour I can find! In WoW Iori was my first char, a lvl 37 gnome mage.
The name isn't from the SNK char most people think but from Aizu
(I''s). If you really want to piss me off while playing this char
call me Lori! Goddanm stupid typeface in COH where the capital I and L
looked the same. Everyone called me Lori. I ended up putting a threat
in my chars bio what anyone caught calling me Lori won't get healed!!

Kaname - Usually a magically pet class, a human Warlock in WoW.
Normally in blue, since the anime char I got the name off has blue hair
(Kaname Chidori in Full Metal Panic)

Yomi - From Azu Manga Diaoh. A troll priestess in WoW. From my simple
RP angle she's the twin sister of.......

Yume - A troll shaman. Looks the same as Yomi, only with different
colour hair.

Sakaki - Only just started this char, A Tauren druid. Also from Azu
Manga Diaoh.

Tomoe - A night elf priest. Like all my allied chars, let over form
my first starching in WoW and not played anymore. Name from a manga so
obscure I can't even remember it. Although I'm led to believe
there's a slightly better know male manga char with the same name.

For the record, Izumi a name I've used a lot. Also from I''s but
for the name taken on both my Alliance and Horde server so I've never
created a char called it.

Christian Stauffer

Aug 23, 2006, 11:25:32 AM8/23/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:59:51 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
> <wildc...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>>"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>>
>>The original RP background of my dwarf was that he was found half dead
>>by some wandering elfes in the mountains of Dun Morogh. As he didn't
>>know his name nor anything else about his past, but looked like he's
>>spent his entire life out in the wild, they gave him the name "wild".
>>His bear, who guarded his master like a berserker, so that the elfes
>>had to soothe and hybernate him, earned the name "warrior".
>>Gwaith ("wild") and Maethor ("warrior") were both borrowed from
>>J.R.R. Tolkiens Sindarin language, because I had no idea if there's
>>a real elfish language in Warcraft, and where to find it.
>
> I like that story :-)

Thanks :-) But to be honest, I was just lacking the imagination for
creating a "real" RP background, so I settled with the "I lost my
memory" thing :-)

> Was kinda thinking of something similar myself for a
> possible character on a RP realm, undead rogue naming himself something
> that means vengeance or hatred or something similar, as his old name no
> longer matters to him.

Hehe, I tried to name a rogue "Vendetta" once, but the name was either
already taken or forbidden..

Tim

Aug 23, 2006, 11:31:43 AM8/23/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:07:14 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Just a few of mine....

Donk - Tauren Shaman - named after the character in Crocodile Dundee
who gave rise to the immortal line "I don't need a gun, I've got a
Donk"

And hence the following - Donkorleone, Donkeeohtay, Donkaster

Zadok - Human Priest - He who anointed Solomon (read your bible, or
listen to Handel's Messiah)

Sherman - Orc Warrior - as he's a tank - named after one

Dweena - Druid - This requires a meaningful knowledge of English
Druids to make any sense - Dweena is a RL leader in the sect (and
married to Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees)

Smee - a Pirate Rogue - right hand man to Captain Hook in Peter Pan

Yellowbeard - Dorf Warrior - with, yes, a Yellow beard. More fun than
Blackbeard!

Melchior - Mage - one of the three wise men who were, after all, Magi

Windjammer - a hunter - a windjammer is a type of Kite.....

Oneeyedjack - my first pirate - an undead warrior - wears only
eyepatches as headgear - still trying to get the epic fishing one from
ZG

These are split between Sunstrider and Scarshield Legion, hence the
combination of alliance and horde.....

Yarr!!

Devast8or

Aug 23, 2006, 12:13:30 PM8/23/06

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:41:12 +0200, "Devast8or" <inv...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >I used a name generator for my first char. Turned out that the name I
chose
> >was actually a RL russian/chezch(sic?) name. No wonder the first guild I
> >joined was almost all chezch people, and later people spoke russian to
me,
> >when meeting me out in the world. So I stopped using a name generator :)
>
> Hehe, doh :-)

yeah.

Would you believe I also had that happen with another char? My warlock is
named after an ancient british queen, and this resulted in someone talking
to me in what appeared to gaelic :)

> I've never used a generator, but I guess my dictionary
> method has much the same effect, looking through words till I find one I
> like. I just hope I never acidentally make something with a not-so-good
> meaning in another language!

I actually saw a gnome in IF once that was only one letter short of spelling
a somewhat rude word in danish (and to the danes in this group: don't ask
what it was, I can't remember).

Devast8or

Nikolas Landauer

Aug 23, 2006, 12:22:34 PM8/23/06
Urbin wrote:
> Catriona R wrote:
> >
> > Just curious about how other people come to choose
> > their character names?
>
> Just some vacant staring at my monitor until inspiration
> hits me.

Hey, that's often my technique, too. Here are mine, in rough order of
creation.

Wraien, Kaldorei hunter: I wanted to name the character "Wren", after
an NPC antagonist/patron/love interest/torturer/assassin in a solo D&D
game between my wife and myself, that I named on the spur of the
moment, and who turned out to be an amazingly creepy and freaky
character. Obviously, Wren was taken (and has been on every server
I've been on, suggesting that it might be a GM name). Since Wren was
taken, I started mutating the name, and ended up liking how "Wraien"
looked and sounded (I say my character names to myself to check for
sound). Pronounced "RAY-enn".

Duskwren, Kaldorei druid: See above. I wanted to use "Wren" somewhere,
so I came up with this for an elf's last name, used as character name.
I like the word "Dusk", I like the word "Wren", and it ends up being a
kinda cool name combined.

Modesty, human rogue: My wife and I decided to make a family of kinda
scary people, all named after virtues that they actually sometimes are
completely unlike. We tried all the generic virtue names, but all were
taken, and we decided it would actually be more fun to look for
less-common virtues as names. The patriarch of the family is a cruel,
sadistic zealot named Pious (sounded better than Piety), and my wife's
character is an unhinged, mercurial warlock named Fidelity. I created
Fidelity's little sister Modesty, who is arrogant and self-important.
We also created (for a short time) their dim-witted, straight-forward
brother, the paladin Discretion.

Phraint, human warlock: The name of a freaky alien race in an old AD&D
1st Edition third-party supplements, the Arduin Grimoires. I've always
loved the name for "scary-sounding", so I took it for several
characters over the years. This permutation is an unhinged refugee
from Lordaeron. Pronounced "FRAYNT".

Shrike, Kaldorei warrior: Again back to "Wren". This is an
ex-Sentinel, somewhat aggressive, and a warrior (unlike my usual class
choices). I wanted a bird name, so I started thinking about bird
names. My wife's rogue, a friend of Shrike's, is named Lark, and her
first hunter was Osprey. We threw out many names as just being
uninteresting (Plover, Grouse, etc.), as being bizarre-sounding as
names (Emu, Stork), or just... well... I think it goes without saying
why we didn't pick one of the bird names (Swallow).

Verzhanzi, Forsaken mage: I was creating a character specifically to
join a really neat Guild, the Poor Sages of Lordaeron. For whatever
reason, I was looking at vaguely-Italian sounding names, and ended up
just coming up with "Verzhanzi" on the spur of the moment. Pronounced
"vurr-ZHAHN-zee", where the "zh" sound is the voiced version of "sh",
such as that made by the letter "z" in the word "azure".

Ephemera: Looking for weird Latin or Latin-ish words, and thought of
this one. I haven't used it for a character yet, but it's a cool word.

Syzygy, blood elf warlock or paladin: This word's just way, way too
cool not to use. Meaning "conjunction of three celestial bodies", I
plan to have Syzygy have functional MPD, with his personalities all
malevolent, aware of each other, and cooperating. For now.

Marozi, Forsaken priest: Haven't played her yet, but the word is the
name of a leopard/lion crossbreed, if I recall correctly.

--
Nik

Jack D

Aug 23, 2006, 12:40:12 PM8/23/06
On 2006-08-23 09:42:18 +0200, killm...@gmx.de said:

> Anagrams, f.e. my warlock has the name Larckow.

With a name like that, you'd start believing that there are Tauren Warlocks...

--
http://www.dagon-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock L60 - Bloodscalp EU

Chasey - Undead Priest L40 - Bloodscalp EU

Nikolas Landauer

Aug 23, 2006, 12:40:54 PM8/23/06
Catriona R wrote:

> I like that story :-) Was kinda thinking of something similar
> myself for a possible character on a RP realm, undead
> rogue naming himself something that means vengeance
> or hatred or something similar, as his old name no longer
> matters to him.

That is a neat concept. I've also used, in tabletop games, an elf
exiled from his people, who chose to take the name "Usse", which
roughly means "nameless" in Tolkien Elvish. (Pronounced "OO-say")

--
Nik

Nikolas Landauer

Aug 23, 2006, 12:44:59 PM8/23/06
Tim wrote:

> And hence the following - Donkorleone, Donkeeohtay, Donkaster

That reminds me of a character from one of the old Star Wars comics
(before Empire's release). An aging Failed Jedi who was accompanying
Han Solo for a while... Very reminiscent of Obi-Wan...

Named "Don-Wan"... "Kihotay", of course.

--
Nik

Quirk Manly

Aug 23, 2006, 1:42:22 PM8/23/06

"BombayMix" <bomb...@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message

I have a Tauren Warrior called Vindaloo :)

Pigmy

Aug 23, 2006, 3:22:03 PM8/23/06
Put the name in the search box top left of this site.
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/

It might surprise a few people how their 'original' names aren't so original
after all - did me :-)

Apheliona

Aug 23, 2006, 3:41:08 PM8/23/06

"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Apheliona is derived from Aphelion (the point on its orbit when the Earth is
farthest from the sun).

Aph was an evil aligned mage on a RP Mud I used to play. She was known for
her sarcasm and dry humor there, and I sometimes miss the RP element in WoW
:)

I had a good aligned one "Perihelion" (the point on its orbit when the Earth
is closest to the sun) too, who I dident really play him much.

My rogue Ayesha is named thus because i am a bit of a sucker for "Ay" names.

-Aph

Catriona R

Aug 23, 2006, 3:43:03 PM8/23/06

Hehe yeah, I use that site a lot - my names count on it:

Balgair: 19 (2 are me)
Sagart: 62 (2 me)
Sgoildubh: 3 (all me)
Beag: 42 (2 me)
Sealgair: 59 (4 me)
Droch: 39 (1 me)
Cathach: 6 (2 me)
Tairbh: 1 (me!)
Buinne: 2 (1 me)
Peairt: 1 (me)

So I've got 3 unique names and one almost unique, could be worse ;-) The
multiple versions of same names I have mainly come from rerolls or random
extra characters on other servers where I have friends etc.

Apoptygma

Aug 23, 2006, 5:26:08 PM8/23/06

Rastus wrote:
> > Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>
> Bit on a Manga/Anime nut so I tend to go for Japanese names and words. My
> current mains name is "Ishikawa" which is both the name of a prefecture in
> Japan and a family name. It is also the name of one of the Section 9
> characters in Masamune Shirow's "Ghost in the Shell" series.

LOL i see you around all the time and think that it's a cool name -
your on Jubie aren't you? Give a wave to my toon Mesh when you see me,
He's named after a tasty EBM group - Cause UD shadow priests are just
so goth :P

JFlexer

Aug 23, 2006, 5:58:32 PM8/23/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

lets see...

Jeffers - a variation of my name. Was originally a warrior and my main.
But, in EQ Gnostic conducted a coup, gained control of the cash Jeffers had
in the bank, and became the self-proclaimed main. Jeffers valiantly stood
his ground and refused to acknowledge Gnostic's ascendence. When the
whole gang moved to WoW, he took the opportunity to withdraw from fighting
and become a priest. He's currently in the monastary. I will prob let
him out to play after Gnostic hit's 60.

Gnostic - I was looking for a name starting with "GN" and hit upon Gnostic -
derived from the Greek for knowledge, a name of a category of early
Christian heretics... seemed appropriate name for a warlock on many
levels. He was a huge coward originally, but of late has become rather
fierce and independent. Moving to WoW helped, as he is much more balanced
and less reliant then he was in EQ. His personality has always been mildly
devious and much fun.

Uruc and Elruc - variations on "Eric" - these toons were originally
Barbarians on EQ, hence the scandinavian influence. Elruc has always been
my auction mule. Uruc was started as a warrior, but is now really a place
holder for expansion.

Jeven - no freekin' idea... seemed "dwarfish"... paladin. His
personality is still developing, but he seems to be the 'strong, silent
type.'

Belen - no freekin idea.... it sounded "elfish". Probably unconsciously
linked to the Spanish for Bethlehem - we sang a LOT of spanish in my chorus
the past cpl years... I'm sure it was in a Spanish holiday carol. druid
Grenlon - well, I liked the idea of another "G" name - and sorta worked my
way to Gren. He's a hunter, and so, the similarity to Green/nature seemed
good... and it seemed "elfish" His pet cat "Puddin" - named after a
drag-queen. (and conveniently "I tawt I taw a puddy tat")

In most cases, it is important that my characters have interesting, unique
names - they have developed personalitlies over the years and are quite
different from one another. Particularly Jeffers and Gnostic. I have a
completely different/unique way of thinking/approaching the game when
playing one or the other.... Also, depending on a mood, I can't play a
character if I can't get into his personality.

I should probably move to a RP server, eh?

Gnostic,
Khaz'goroth.

Matt McLeod

Aug 23, 2006, 7:35:37 PM8/23/06
Christian Stauffer <wildc...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Thanks :-) But to be honest, I was just lacking the imagination for
> creating a "real" RP background, so I settled with the "I lost my
> memory" thing :-)

I had, at one point, a night-elf hunter who'd been found abandoned
as a baby by dwarves. So, culturally dwarvish but rather too tall
for the role.

(Yeah, pretty much a Carrot thing.)

I also had a dwarf hunter who really really liked elves, so she had
a black cat for a pet and refused to use guns.

Basic problem in both cases was that I got bored with the whole
hunter thing.

Matt

Rastus

Aug 23, 2006, 7:50:25 PM8/23/06
>> Bit on a Manga/Anime nut so I tend to go for Japanese names and words. My
>> current mains name is "Ishikawa" which is both the name of a prefecture
>> in
>> Japan and a family name. It is also the name of one of the Section 9
>> characters in Masamune Shirow's "Ghost in the Shell" series.
>

> LOL i see you around all the time and think that it's a cool name -
> your on Jubie aren't you? Give a wave to my toon Mesh when you see me,
> He's named after a tasty EBM group - Cause UD shadow priests are just
> so goth :P

Shadow Priests are more Emo I would say - wll, at least they make other
people cry often enough :-) Our guild occasionally feilds an all priest WSG
team and they have a lot of fun, though they dont get a chance to do it that
often since it kinda strips us of preists for all other activities.

Will *wave* next time I see you, though I doubt I will be on before the
weekend as I tend to stay away for a while after patch days.

Indiana Joe

Aug 23, 2006, 9:27:51 PM8/23/06
In article <vV1Hg.148216$F8.3...@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Pigmy" <pi...@hut.com> wrote:

I appear to have the only character named, "Rogandohn" in WoW. :-)

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
india...@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

BrutalD

Aug 24, 2006, 8:22:52 AM8/24/06

Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

BrutalDeluxe - From old Amiga game, Speedball II. Was one of the team
names, thought it was good for a rogue. Also use this as my Fantasy
Football team names.

Helthan, Nathena - combintion of my kids' names Helena and Nathan

Moirayne - From Wheel of Time book series, but had to use a Y since
original was taken.

Glengorin - pulled this one out of my a$$. :)

BD

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Babe Bridou

Aug 24, 2006, 12:11:44 PM8/24/06

Catriona R a écrit :

> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

_Esa - short for Esa'jin, I wanted a name that was simple, feminine,
that could be completed with the 'jin particle from the Darkspear
Tribe, and more than anything, short, easy to write, easy to remember.
Easy. Esa.

Turned out this is also a common male first name in Finland, which
still haunts my everyday wow'ing, but eh, I learn new words in a
foreign language ;)
("Suomesta?" - "sorry I'm not finnish." - "hehe, did someone tell you
that your name is a common finnish male name?" - "yes, 3 times a week
for more than a year")
So long for the feminine part, but eh, what do you know ;)

_Sally - Orc hunter - I invented some background of some excluded
newborn girl raised by boars in Durotar, whose only link to the
civilization was through the humans of Tiragaarde Keep. She would often
come close and listen to bards singing songs. One day there was a song
about a girl called Sally and the young orc was spotted. The bard
panicked and yelled "Sally! Sally!", and she fled, believing that was
her name.

_Murray, undead rogue, Diabolical Skull of Doom. Name was available.
Enough said.

_Karhingan and Serhingan : this would be too long to explain. Names I
have designed myself from a careful research when creating a Heroic
Fantasy saga. Brother and sister supposed to be recurrent actors, and
among my favourite ones. Full names are Kar'Hingan Bel'Oric Lin Simpias
Bar'Kaluminor and Ser'Hingan etc etc, with of course a signification
and "cultural name grammar and story" behind all the terms of the full
names. I had written several short essays about this saga (codename:
"Daune"), but had to give up due to time constraints mostly.

_Kergruik: orc rogue. Comes from prefix "Ker", which is commonly
attached to house names in Bretagne, coastal region in western France,
with plenty of celtic origins that I don't know anything about. I have
so many friends there that the people in Paris start considering me one
of "them". Suffix "Gruik" which is in direct relation with the sound of
pigs when they die. Character designed to be fun.

_Narajalan: Troll Warrior. Now this name has a fun origin. Comes from
"Antalaranalatarasa" I think - from memory, could be wrong - which was
the password to give to a dude in "The Crown of Kings", last book of
the Wizardry series ("books where you are the hero", I really don't
know the english name). The password or whatever just stuck in my
memory for close to a couple decades. I was thinking of some RP name
for a troll, an old troll, and I started writing Antalaranalatarasa in
the textbox or something. I trimmed that, looked at it, thought about
some mirror-name that could be read in both directions and sound the
same, Nalaralan, but it sounded too smooth. Switched the middle "r" for
a "rhota" (spanish "j"), "Nalajalan"... The asymetry of the capital N
bugged me, so went to hell with my mirror, and added a bit of asian
inspiration to the name by replacing the first l with an r.
"Narajalan". Sounded cool, kept it :)

daman

Aug 24, 2006, 12:19:20 PM8/24/06
I use my nickname (eagle) and some variant of the toon's class, mainly
so I don't get confused when mailing things to each of them. So I have
hunteagle, mageeagle, wareagle (always get Auburn comments), prayeagle,
gankeagle. Didn't do bankeagle for some reason, though.

Babe Bridou

Aug 24, 2006, 12:21:08 PM8/24/06

jes....@hexduxhmp.org a écrit :

> Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> > So I've got 3 unique names and one almost unique, could be worse ;-) The
> > multiple versions of same names I have mainly come from rerolls or random
> > extra characters on other servers where I have friends etc.
>

> My name counts:
> Melkur (20)
> Relvinian (19, 1 is mine, the other isn't listed)
> Brandschaden (4)
> Xavori (7, mine's not on there)
>
> (And BTW, no one has apparently run a census on my server in a while,
> it is a month or so out of date)
>
> The Relvinian doesn't really surprise me - as I said, it was a background
> story char from UO. The Melkur would have surprised me until I was
> reminded about "Melkor". At least one of the Xavoris is the "real
> xavori" (the one on Manoroth) and the rest all seem to be random
> trash chars (all in the 1-5 level range).

Esa (175, common finnish name, 3 letters, not surprised)
Sally (245, lol, how many servers are they? :P)
Karhingan (2, both are mine)
Serhingan (1)
Murray (234, close, I'm still amazed the name wasn't taken yet when I
picked it up)
Narajalan (1)
Kergruik (1)
Isaoth (1)
Anthael (5, one is mine)
Squaw (81)

Well I'm not surprised at all :) Actually happy that the names I put
some work when designing are truly original :P

Marypop

Aug 24, 2006, 12:26:34 PM8/24/06
"Babe Bridou" ...

> Esa (175, common finnish name, 3 letters, not surprised)
> Sally (245, lol, how many servers are they? :P)
> Karhingan (2, both are mine)
> Serhingan (1)
> Murray (234, close, I'm still amazed the name wasn't taken yet when I
> picked it up)
> Narajalan (1)
> Kergruik (1)
> Isaoth (1)
> Anthael (5, one is mine)
> Squaw (81)
>
> Well I'm not surprised at all :) Actually happy that the names I put
> some work when designing are truly original :P

ok let's see !
I have my main only once (faipach strange isn't it, guess you french guess
what it means)
a drainor (seemed obvious for a warlock) "only" 56 times
and my other chars don't even appear, but I know they exist !!!
What are the rules for being in there ?

Babe Bridou

Aug 24, 2006, 12:27:25 PM8/24/06

Matt McLeod a écrit :

I'm so sad I lost my RP introduction to my own Orc hunter... Seeking
The Hunt in Mulgore, looking for her own roots and the Beast in
herself. Fighting against her bloodlust... Taming The Beast...
Bwaahahahaha... :'( :'(

Babe Bridou

Aug 24, 2006, 12:31:03 PM8/24/06

Marypop a écrit :

> ok let's see !
> I have my main only once (faipach strange isn't it, guess you french guess
> what it means)

hahahaha

My dwarf hunter on a french server, called Danston (and his pet
Troudu), appears 4 times apparently - but I can't find mine :)

> What are the rules for being in there ?

Someone takes a census using an add-on every once in a while. You must
be online at least once at the time it goes spamming /who.

Message has been deleted

Hilda

Aug 24, 2006, 1:43:29 PM8/24/06

Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

I use the random name generator, then when I find one I like I put my
real name in front of it and combine them. So I am:

Hildalaira - Khadgar - 60 - Undead Rogue
Hildazuela - Khadgar - 17 - Troll Rogue
Hildazuras - Khadgar - 5 (my ORG AH/Bank Alt) - Orc Rogue
Hildakais - Khadgar - 16 - Human Rogue

Catriona R

Aug 24, 2006, 3:46:27 PM8/24/06
On 24 Aug 2006 09:31:03 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babeb...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Marypop a écrit :

>> What are the rules for being in there ?
>
>Someone takes a census using an add-on every once in a while. You must
>be online at least once at the time it goes spamming /who.

Yep, if you want to get in you can always download the addon and run the
census yourself, that'll pick up all characters online at that time, and
once you upload the data to the website it'll be processed and added to the
site (that can take a day or two)

In fact, please do get the mod, anyone interested, as I and other regular
users of the site are tired of hearing people putting it down for being
"inaccurate" when the inaccuracy is basically down to the lack of censuses
being run; I put a lot of time into running censuses on servers other than
my own, but when there are dozens of European servers with very few being
run on them (anything below 50 a month is considered red status and really
needs more; sadly almost every server on the "most wanted" list is in
single figures), those of us who census need all the help we can get to
keep on top of it.

I census about 35 servers myself (can't get any more because of the 50
character per account limit) and am pushing them all out of being in only
single figures of censuses per month, but all the same, me logging in once
a day and running the mod once doesn't pick up half as much as someone
running it multiple times while they're playing (it's got a setting to
automatically census however often you like; I have it set to every 10
minutes but it defaults to 30 minutes)

I know this sounds a bit like advertising, but I like the site a lot and
would love to see it getting more help to be much more accurate :-)

Catriona R

Aug 24, 2006, 3:51:00 PM8/24/06
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:45:06 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Babe Bridou <babeb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Sally (245, lol, how many servers are they? :P)

>> Murray (234, close, I'm still amazed the name wasn't taken yet when I
>

>Hah, wow ... yeah are there even that many servers? Perhaps the
>census picks up 2 diff chars of the same name when one gets
>deleted?

It does, yes - when a character is deleted the record remains and the new
character is created as a separate one. Useful for seeing history of
characters.

Oh and I'd say there are easily that many servers; I counted the european
ones a few days back and it came to about 190 if I remember rightly -
there's at least that many US servers, probably more so the total will be
pretty big.

frood

Aug 24, 2006, 3:34:36 PM8/24/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Chiming in here. I'll start with the ones I named, then you can have a
chuckle over the kids' named toons. I can't remember who I actually started
with, but deleted several (mostly girl toons) before creating my male human
warrior - Mingus. This is an old Scottish name, and similar to an old family
name.

Next came Bjorke. I've always admired her for coming to the Oscars in that
swan dress, so my Bjorke (human rogue) is a tailor, and very fashion
conscious. This is my main, played more than all the others combined.

Natoth is my male NE druid, named after G'Kar's attaché from Babylon 5. Yes,
I know Na'Toth was a female, but I still liked the name, and it sounded
Elvish. My Natoth is a bit of a sissy, and likes to pick flowers and make
potions.

Minimimkin is my gnome rogue (doesn't get played much, still lvl 7, just for
the trial of a gnome engineer). This name came from a Celtic names resource,
then misspelled because I couldn't remember how it was.

Dunsel - the bank toon.

Auralis is played by my husband, as his main, but I created/named her. I was
aiming for Aurora Borealis, but both those were taken. Yeah, he hates the
name, hates that she's a girl, but what can he do? He's invested enough time
in her now he's not going to start over.

His other toon he created, but allowed our 14 yo girl to "help" him decide
what she should look like. Yes, another girl, NE priest named Esmé (another
old Scottish family name). Yes, with an accent. It seemed like a good idea
at the time, but it turns out, there's another NE named Esme (no accent) and
this has caused trouble.

Ok, now the kids.
Arox - human warlock (he says Aron was taken)
Donair dwarf paladin (pronounced Donn-arr) (my son is not a good speller)
Oosmgrace gnome mage (pronounce Awesome Grace - 5 yos aren't good spellers
either)
Gracieb (named after a classmate, and the toon looks just like a beloved
kindergarten teacher)
Coolalli
Stella (from some kid movie)
Salliemae
Mollywan (like Obi Wan, only Molly)
Persephone and Rayondelune (rays of the moon) both named by the 14 yo girl
(can you tell?)

--
Wendy

Catriona R

Aug 24, 2006, 4:06:03 PM8/24/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:07:14 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

> None listed on my server but right
>now I'm cursing the maintenance, as I'm thinking it'll be a rather good
>idea to make a placeholder character to reserve the name :-P

Phew, got it - one lvl 1 nameholder alt created ;-)

Seems I started something with this thread, guess I'll list my own
characters then so you can laugh at my lack of imagination ;-) Basic
premise is Gaelic translations; that came about well over a year ago, as my
first ever character was called Onthejazz, the name I'd used in my previous
game. I very quickly realised that while it might work in Planetside (a
MMOFPS) it just sounds stupid in WoW, so all my characters since then have
had names that at least sound like names. I do get a few people asking if
I'm irish sometimes but so far no-one's commented on just how unimaginative
I am, as a lot of them are very obvious indeed!

Balgair (human rogue) = rogue (another name with the same meaning is
Ragair, which I've occasionally used but I like Balgair better)
Sgoildubh (human mage) = magic (literally "black school" which sounds a bit
more evil than I really want for the character, who's meant to be a good
mage, but oh well... I like it anyway)
Sagart (undead priest) = priest (says it all really)
Beag (dwarf paladin) = small
Sealgair (dwarf hunter) = hunter
Droch (undead warlock) = evil
Cathach (gnome warrior) = warrior
Tairbh (tauren druid) = bull (I wanted Tarbh which means the same, but it
wasn't available on my server)
Buinne (troll shaman) = idol (came to that by wandering around, wasn't
anything suitable for trolls or shamans but idol followed after I looked at
totems)
Naomh (draenei priest) = holy (and by nice luck it's a girl's name and can
also mean beautiful, apparently, and I do intend it to be a very attractive
female draenei)

I've also had a nelf druid called Peairt, which is the Gaelic name for the
town I live in (Perth) but I last played that one over a year ago, so don't
really count it as one of my characters.

I occasionally make variations, like when I did the levelling contest a few
months back and had a load of troll rogues, I think I had Balgair,
Balgaira, Balgaire, Balgairr, Ragair, Ragaire, Ragairr, and Bankgair among
others - Balgaira is my default for females as it sounds like a feminine
version of Balgair :-)

Message has been deleted

Nikolas Landauer

Aug 24, 2006, 5:36:41 PM8/24/06
Catriona R wrote:

> Oh and I'd say there are easily that many servers; I
> counted the european ones a few days back and it
> came to about 190 if I remember rightly - there's at
> least that many US servers, probably more so the
> total will be pretty big.

AQ rankings page for US servers shows 172, and it does include the
newest servers.

--
Nik

Nikolas Landauer

Aug 24, 2006, 5:45:59 PM8/24/06
Babe Bridou wrote:
> jes....@hexduxhmp.org a écrit :
> >
> > My name counts:

I like this idea, so I'll see how mine are.

Wraien - 2 (both me)
Wren - 228 (the name I wanted; I think I'm happy with my eventual
choice :D )
Duskwren - 4 (3 me)
Modesty - 158 (1 me)
Phraint - 0! Wow, no one's ever actually seen my Phraints (I've 2)
Shrike - 287 (1 me, but I like the name anyway)
Verzhanzi - 1 (me)
Ephemera - 97 (0 me, mine's a name placeholder)
Syzygy - 174 (0 me, 1 the guy from whom I got the name idea)
Marozi - 1 (not me)

That's actually pretty interesting. Heh. The two names I truly made
up are only used by me, but every single one of the rest are used by
others except the obscure Arduin reference.

--
Nik

Catriona R

Aug 24, 2006, 5:56:17 PM8/24/06
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:10:56 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>> running it multiple times while they're playing (it's got a setting to
>> automatically census however often you like; I have it set to every 10
>> minutes but it defaults to 30 minutes)
>

>How much overhead is there with running it? That's the main thing
>keeping me from doing it.

I'm running a beta version currently (due to be released soon I think) and
it's pretty much fine, no lag when using it (and I have a massive character
database, over 40k characters on my main server) - the older version lagged
a bit when the census ended but this version seems to have solved that
problem.

The only real issue it causes is that you can't use /who while it's
running, but you can pause the census while it runs (the new version of the
mod even has a nice right-click menu on the minimap button to save opening
the mod window, which I'll admit *is* a bit laggy, the menu is fine
however) You can also purge the database whenever you like if it gets a bit
large (mine hit 10MB a couple of times ;-)) as if lag is going to happen it
happens more with bigger data files.

frood

Aug 24, 2006, 9:16:38 PM8/24/06
"Pigmy" <pi...@hut.com> wrote in message

> Put the name in the search box top left of this site.
> http://www.warcraftrealms.com/
>
> It might surprise a few people how their 'original' names aren't so
> original after all - did me :-)

LOL! There's only one Oosmgrace!

--
Wendy

AlphaWoolf

Aug 25, 2006, 3:16:10 AM8/25/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:07:14 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Fun topic! I put a lot of thought into my character and pet names.

I draw inspiration from a variety of monster movies and music, but
largely my characters' names have come out of my late-blooming
appreciation for the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft. Some are
entirely original, though:

Gnuthulhu (warlock) - Lovecraftian. Cthulhu is/was an Old God, and I
figured my warlock would be the heir to his mighty legacy. Thus,
"new" + "Cthulhu" = Gnuthulhu. Of course now Blizzard themselves have
tipped their hat to Lovecraft with the introduction of the Old God
C'thun. Friends call me Gnu (it's important that names have a handy
shortend form, I've found).

Fthagn (warrior) - Lovecraftian, but I misspelled it, lol. It should
be Fhtagn. Pronounced Fuh-taag-n, at least in my opinion. This name
has proven to be hugely problematic. Almost noone ever pronounces it
right, and I'm usually just called fag-n. Oh well, if you say it the
way I intend it sounds very fatalistic, which my warrior is. :)

Rhyleya (hunter) - Lovecraftian again, and another mistake. This was
inspired by the name of the city where Cthulhu sleeps, R'lyeh. I read
that as Rhyleya, but apparently the correct interpretation is Urillia.
Oh well, Rhyleya is a cool, unique name for a troll female,

Rhyleya's pets: I agonized forever coming up with the pet names,
since they're not changeable (which I really don't understand why
they're not):

Nyarlathotox (scorpid) - Lovecraftian, inspired by "The Crawling
Chaos", Nyarlothotep. Crawling and toxic, yep, that's my little
arachnid! :)

Trogbor (boar) - Took a break from Lovecraft and I just had to work in
a "Trogdor" (Homestar Runner) reference. This name has gotten a few
laughs. "And the trogbor comes in the
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTT!"

Tennebrae (black worg) - Latin for shadow. With the latest patch
tying this pet to one skin (black), I could finally settle on a name
for him.

Other characters:

Kadath (hunter) - Lovecraftian. Abandoned this char at level 9 and
later converted him into a bank mule. The only hunter to never get a
pet, lol.

Servitor - My 1st bank mule, a man-servant for my warlock.

Wydefoote (shaman) - For Taurens I try to follow the spirit of the
names Blizzard gives out to them. This suggests mass and size,
characteristics he has in abundance.

Huurtle (druid) - Another Tauren, and the more I look at this name the
less I like it. It was meant to suggest a druid that could inflict
pain in that kinda-cute Tauren way but most folks probably just think
of something flying or running down a track.

Phibes (place holder priest) - References the classic Dr. Phibes films
starring Vincent Price. This will become a Blood Elf shadow priest
once the expansion is out. Or an undead, which I think it would fit
better, but I've already got 2 Forsaken.

Aelst (place holder) - Not sure what I'll use this one for, but the
name sounds like a really cool elf name. This is the name of one of
the goblins from Jim Henson's "The Labyrinth".

Gniffle (gnome) - All Gnome names must start with "Gn", this a known
fact. Gniffle does my dirty work infiltrating the Alliance auction
houses.

Gnuthulhu, Undead Warlock
Fthagn, Undead Warrior
Rhyleya, Troll Hunter
Thunderhorn,US
Remove your coat for email.

Apoptygma

Aug 25, 2006, 3:28:04 AM8/25/06

> Shadow Priests are more Emo I would say - wll, at least they make other
> people cry often enough :-) Our guild occasionally feilds an all priest WSG
> team and they have a lot of fun, though they dont get a chance to do it that
> often since it kinda strips us of preists for all other activities.
>
> Will *wave* next time I see you, though I doubt I will be on before the
> weekend as I tend to stay away for a while after patch days.

Nah warlocks are the emos of WoW - always cuttings themselves instead
of having spirit to get their mana back, crying when the shadow priests
try to steal their gear...

You in Vex arent you? I've /w a few members but i don't get replies
mostly. I'm pretty keen to get into a PvP guild now since the BG queues
don't exist.

Paws

Aug 25, 2006, 10:19:23 AM8/25/06
Ogasawara: a name for a hunter. I looked up the japanese art of
archery, 'kyudo' where i found that there's a traditional school named
'Ogasawara'

Wellington: when choosing a name for a tauren, i remembered the tasty
'steak wellington'

Marlowe: i named an undead warlock after the chandler's private
investigator, played by humphrey bogart ;)

Laotse: my undead rogue was named after the chinese philosopher and
author of the 'Tao Te King'

Edo: name for a tauren druid borrowed from the japanese Edo period.

Keynes: this name was chosen for a character destined to to business in
the ah. It refers to John Maynard Keynes, the british economist.

Sisyphos: an night elf druid named of the king of Corinth in greek
mythology.

Heisenberg: a gnome mage named after the german physicist, one of the
founders of quantum mechanics.

Genovese: a human rogue named after the notorious italian mafia clan.

'Dent' and 'Prefect': two ah-chars named after characters from the
hitchhiker's guide.

Finnegan: tauren druid, name inspired by 'Finnegan's Wake' by James
Joyce.

Nieriel

Aug 25, 2006, 10:21:56 AM8/25/06
"Pigmy" wrote:
> Put the name in the search box top left of this site.
> http://www.warcraftrealms.com/
>
> It might surprise a few people how their 'original' names aren't so
original
> after all - did me :-)

Nieriel - 21, one is me, I have 3 that don't show up
Ruadhri - 4, one is me
Pynk - 74, one is me
Piksee - 1, not me, I have one that doesn't show up
Rhowyn - 22, none are mine, I have two that don't show up

I'm surprised at so many Nieriels. And there are 268 Rowans (the preferred
spelling).

Message has been deleted

Nieriel

Aug 25, 2006, 10:27:53 AM8/25/06
"Hilda" wrote:
> I use the random name generator, then when I find one I like I put my
> real name in front of it and combine them. So I am:
>
> Hildalaira - Khadgar - 60 - Undead Rogue
> Hildazuela - Khadgar - 17 - Troll Rogue
> Hildazuras - Khadgar - 5 (my ORG AH/Bank Alt) - Orc Rogue
> Hildakais - Khadgar - 16 - Human Rogue

I really like this idea and may steal it in the future.

Nieriel
Earthen Ring

Catriona R

Aug 25, 2006, 10:32:49 AM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:22:24 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm running a beta version currently (due to be released soon I think) and
>> it's pretty much fine, no lag when using it (and I have a massive character
>> database, over 40k characters on my main server) - the older version lagged
>> a bit when the census ended but this version seems to have solved that
>> problem.
>

>Ok. Is it configurable so I can trigger it when I want? I'd much
>rather it scan when I'm running around UC than running around a contested
>territory (despite what ya said ... "just in case", hah). :)

Yup, there's an options screen which lets you turn off the auto-census
altogether so it only runs when you run it manually. Can see your thinking
if you're on a PVP server, it's fine for me on a PVE one, even with the old
version that lags a bit it's never long enough to cause me trouble, but in
PVP yes, I understand why you're wary! :-)

>> The only real issue it causes is that you can't use /who while it's
>> running, but you can pause the census while it runs (the new version of the
>

>I almost never do a /who anyways, so no biggie.
>
>It'll probably be next week before I get an oppty to really check out
>some of the mods I've been wanting to check out, so I'll try to remember
>to add it. And that way I can't bitch that my own char info is out of date ;)

Hehe yeah it's great for keeping info up to date, my characters can see
almost every level up they've ever made and what day it happened. The most
annoying thing is my only lvl 60 so far dinged 60 when the site was having
a hiccup and so the level up is shown as about 2 weeks after it actually
happened, bah. My next 60 will be accurate however (I hope) :-)

Message has been deleted

Catriona R

Aug 25, 2006, 12:01:22 PM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:35:58 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>> Yup, there's an options screen which lets you turn off the auto-census
>> altogether so it only runs when you run it manually. Can see your thinking
>> if you're on a PVP server, it's fine for me on a PVE one, even with the old
>> version that lags a bit it's never long enough to cause me trouble, but in
>> PVP yes, I understand why you're wary! :-)
>

>Cool. You converted me then ;) My machine (and my 'skillz') are sucky
>enough that I probably don't need to worry about that, but hey - every
>little bit helps :) I will often do AH scans and such tho in cities
>where I'm just idle for 10-15 mins, or bopping around and making
>bombs or whatever, would be useful to do then.

Sounds ideal for that kind of time, yeah - just make sure you turn
"verbose" mode off unless you want your chat window spammed with info about
what it's doing. It's actually interesting to watch it to see just how it
works, but it's a little irritating if you want to see the chat in your
main window :-)

>> Hehe yeah it's great for keeping info up to date, my characters can see
>> almost every level up they've ever made and what day it happened. The most
>> annoying thing is my only lvl 60 so far dinged 60 when the site was having
>> a hiccup and so the level up is shown as about 2 weeks after it actually
>> happened, bah. My next 60 will be accurate however (I hope) :-)
>

>Hah :)
>
>When I first found the site I was amazed at how accurate it was on my
>various chars (not just the 'right then' data, but some of the historical
>stuff ... chars that I only log in once in a while were showing up there
>and such). What is weird tho, is who ever it was that was running the
>census must have stopped because it hasn't been updated since then, hah :)

Yup, that happens, some servers only have a small number of people running
the mod and if they stop playing or transfer off, bam, the server suddenly
stops getting many updates. A lot of servers do have good coverage though,
and on those it's great seeing the character progression - if you're
censusing yourself you can end up with something like my info:
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/char/15440869 - I started censusing around
lvl 20 and you can see the progression from there; the "unguilded" around
lvl 42 must've been a hiccup when someone else with the mod saw me as a
mouseover and the guildname didn't get picked up (the mod no longer takes
info from mouseovers just because of issues like that) but the rest is
fully accurate.

Message has been deleted

Catriona R

Aug 25, 2006, 3:02:45 PM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:23:21 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>> Sounds ideal for that kind of time, yeah - just make sure you turn
>> "verbose" mode off unless you want your chat window spammed with info about
>> what it's doing. It's actually interesting to watch it to see just how it
>> works, but it's a little irritating if you want to see the chat in your
>> main window :-)
>

>Heh, good to know. On my main char I actually split LFG to another
>channel tab, but now it always starts me off with that one active
>and i'm usually too lazy to switch it. So I probably wouldn't see
>the spam anyways ;)

Same thing here tbh - my guild chat is on a separate window and I set the
lfg one to show whispers, loot etc, so I often just don't switch away from
it.

>Yep, I had an idea that it was not a lot of people running it as
>the numbers in terms of population seemed very "skewed", if that makes
>sense.

Sure does, I've seen some European servers listing under 100 active people
on one side lol... when that happens I know it's time to make an alt over
there :-)

>It seems to have stopped right around Jul 11th, that's the last entry
>I can find on any of mine or my friend's chars (and he plays a hell
>of a lot more than I do). Soon it shall change :)

Good to hear, the more censusers the better :-) If you hit any problems the
forum on that site has a few very helpful people btw, it's generally simple
enough to use but it's always handy to have some help around; you may see
me there under the name of Balgair, although I'm nothing like as
knowledgeable as some of the other people there :-)

Message has been deleted

Catriona R

Aug 25, 2006, 5:40:51 PM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:14:40 -0500, jes....@hexduxhmp.org wrote:

>Catriona R <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>> Same thing here tbh - my guild chat is on a separate window and I set the
>> lfg one to show whispers, loot etc, so I often just don't switch away from
>> it.
>

>Is there a way to tell it to pick a diff one by default?

Nope, it used to default to the main window but now if just defaults to
whatever you made most recently, which of course for most people is the lfg
window. It's a known bug, has been since 1.11 I think, but they've not got
around to fixing it as usual :-)

mi...@evins.net

Aug 26, 2006, 5:13:03 AM8/26/06

Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?

Generally, I use names from my own fiction. For example, the name of my
60 Night Elf Hunter, Heirobhan, is the name of a major antihero in the
fantasy story I've been working on for the past few years; the
character is a faerie queen and archer, so I thought it appropriate for
an elf hunter.

There are exceptions. For example, the name of my Paladin, Cordivere,
hasn't anything to do with my fiction; instead, it has more to do with
devising a name that sounds like one of the Knights of Camelot might
have had it.

Snowblade

Aug 26, 2006, 6:43:09 AM8/26/06
"Catriona R" <catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>
> None listed on my server but right
> now I'm cursing the maintenance, as I'm thinking it'll be a rather good
> idea to make a placeholder character to reserve the name :-P

Then you could sell the name(s) on E-Bay ;-)

Urbin

Aug 26, 2006, 7:23:02 AM8/26/06
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:22:03 GMT, Pigmy wrote:
> Put the name in the search box top left of this site.
> http://www.warcraftrealms.com/
>
> It might surprise a few people how their 'original' names aren't so original
> after all - did me :-)

Urbin - 14, 1 me
Sunh - 8, 1 me
Juran - 108, 1 me
Gera - 186, 1 me
Mymule - 132, 1 me
Tonya - 180, 1 me

Amazed, Urbin

--
Urbin (60), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sunh (44), Nightelven Priest (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Juran (24), Nightelven Druid (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
[FAQ] Get the alt.games.warcraft faq from http://www.ursbeeli.ch/wow [FAQ]

Rastus

Aug 28, 2006, 2:53:46 AM8/28/06
> You in Vex arent you? I've /w a few members but i don't get replies
> mostly. I'm pretty keen to get into a PvP guild now since the BG queues
> don't exist.

Yup, be aware we are actually concentrating on PvE at the moment, mostly MC
though looks like the rest of the guys will be downing Onyxia for the first
time tonight whilst I work. Trying to PvP in the 60's with a huge gear
disadvantge is frustrating so we are gearing up a bit ourselves. We will be
getting back into PvP later on and quite a few of us are actually planning
on tackling the full rank 14 grind at some time.

In the future we want to balance both raiding and PvP rather than just
specialise in one.

If the guys and girls are in a raid or a BG it can be hard to get through in
/w or /tell to them because we have always used Ventrilo a lot so can miss a
lot of what happens in in the chat window. If your looking to apply,
everything has to go through the web page anyhow (
vexguild.proboards76.com ) - it is pretty much the "first test" to see if
people can follow directions. I resigned as an officer so am not up to date
on what is needed right now - but the situation can change on that front
quickly so even if you have applied in the past it is worth bumping the
application on occasion.

Message has been deleted

Apoptygma

Aug 28, 2006, 11:18:57 AM8/28/06

Rastus wrote:
> > You in Vex arent you? I've /w a few members but i don't get replies
> > mostly. I'm pretty keen to get into a PvP guild now since the BG queues
> > don't exist.
>
> Yup, be aware we are actually concentrating on PvE at the moment, mostly MC
> though looks like the rest of the guys will be downing Onyxia for the first
> time tonight whilst I work. Trying to PvP in the 60's with a huge gear
> disadvantge is frustrating so we are gearing up a bit ourselves. We will be
> getting back into PvP later on and quite a few of us are actually planning
> on tackling the full rank 14 grind at some time.

Raiding MC atm? *drools* I'm dead keen to join. I'm heavily into PvP at
the moment, just about to hit 50. Did ZF today with some shite PUG then
tried to do a mara run but that fizzled so i'll skip it. I think I
might grind the elites in the hinterlands to speed up my leveling, I
can trash them pretty quick with the +128 shadow dmg my soloing gear
gives me and with rest they give me around 1100 xp.
I wonder if there is an oppening in the guild for a shadow priest, I'd
not too keen on re-specing holy as most guild want people to. I'd
rather play the role of keeping up shadow-weaving, dispell/curing and
off-healing if someone hasn't already called dibs on that job.
I guess if it comes down to re-speccing and getting in and missing out
i'll do it, as i said i'm keen to get into a guild that is doing early
raids like MC/ony because it seems like most guilds are well past that
at this stage in the server's lifespan.

Rastus

Aug 29, 2006, 12:07:26 AM8/29/06
> I wonder if there is an oppening in the guild for a shadow priest, I'd
> not too keen on re-specing holy as most guild want people to. I'd
> rather play the role of keeping up shadow-weaving, dispell/curing and
> off-healing if someone hasn't already called dibs on that job.
> I guess if it comes down to re-speccing and getting in and missing out
> i'll do it, as i said i'm keen to get into a guild that is doing early
> raids like MC/ony because it seems like most guilds are well past that
> at this stage in the server's lifespan.

We do take shadowpreists to MC - but, be prepare to be flexible and pop out
go into healing mode when it is needed. Just like our enhancement specced
shamans - when it comes to boss fights, everyone who can heal does heal
regardless of spec. I am not sure on exactly what is needed atm tho.

Raid balance is another thing as well, ie, there is room for shadowpreists
in the raid but the spots are likely to be limited. Each class usually sorts
out amongst itself things like spec balance if it becomes and issue and any
respecs are voluntary (that is not to say there wont be peer pressure within
the priests).

Try to get to 60 asap and start working on your Ony key when possible.
Winterspring is a good area to grind 50- 60 as you can grind xp, rep and
gold all at the same time.

AlphaWoolf

Aug 29, 2006, 5:29:14 AM8/29/06
On 25 Aug 2006 07:19:23 -0700, "Paws" <pawl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ogasawara: a name for a hunter. I looked up the japanese art of
>archery, 'kyudo' where i found that there's a traditional school named
>'Ogasawara'

It's also the name of "Monster Island" in the 60s-70s Godzilla films.
:)

>Sisyphos: an night elf druid named of the king of Corinth in greek
>mythology.

The cleverest man who ever lived, but doomed to spend eternity in
Hades pushing a boulder to the top of a hill only to have it roll down
again. I use this name all the time in 1st person shooters,
referencing the fact that no matter how successful you are, the map
resets and you've got to do it all over again... and again... and
again...

Zil

Aug 29, 2006, 11:01:05 AM8/29/06
Pigmy <pi...@hut.com> wrote:
> Put the name in the search box top left of this site.
> http://www.warcraftrealms.com/
>
> It might surprise a few people how their 'original' names aren't so original
> after all - did me :-)

Eeek! I'm not unique!

My first character was a mage, Mustrum, who got his name from a book,
as I'm sure Terry Pratchett fans will spot. Strangely enough, my
friend started a mage called Ridkully... :-)
What's interesting is the number of other Mustrums around that *aren't*
mages...

My next 2 character names were created by me typing random sequences
of characters on my keyboard until I got something that met my main
criteria; short (so that other people could type it without too much
problem!), and unusual (which generally meant having
uncommon-to-English letters in, like 'q', 'z', 'x', 'k' etc).

So I ended up with Zil & Qia. I didn't find out until months later
that Qia is an NPC in Everlook. Both these names seem very popular,
too, which was a surprise. Especialy "Zil" with over 200 occurrances.

It's hard to be original, I guess.

Except, maybe, for those gold-selling-spammers that sit in Ironforge
shouting adverts for their websites, with names like "aksfuwqoiw"...
:-)

--
Zil, Level 60 NE Priest, Aman Shan're, Stormrage Europe

Apoptygma

Aug 29, 2006, 12:23:26 PM8/29/06

I poped in my application on the forums last night, there was a note
saying that as of 6 days ago you're all full-up hopefully a spot oppens
for me in a couple of weeks or so once I've hit the level cap (an
hopefully enough for my Epic mount, i'm at ~400g atm) where i'll be
starting to do PUGs *shudder* for my Tier 0, If your guild all raiding
60's or is there someone around my level that i might get a chance to
do the 60+ 5-mans with soon? 1 "guildee" and 3 pugs is better than 4
pugs.
Mainly I have a problem with tanks that can't play for shit, I've
almost avoided PUG instances because everytime I go I get a plate-rogue
who does nothing to keep the secondary targets from ripping off my arms
as soon as I heal his duel-wielding-single-targetting ass. In fact my
current alt is a warrior I rolled with my girlfriend's holy-priest just
so that in PUGs all we have to worry about is getting DPSers which
unsuprisingly easy, and because we are in the same room I can turn to
here and say "let that rogue take a fall, I've sundered this mob 5
times and he's offtanking the 2nd of the two I pulled and despite my
cleaving and telling him to assist on my target he just can't find a
feint button anywhere on his toolbar" shorty after she's outside the 5
second rule again and I can see some blue and the rogue is lying in a
heap on the floor, pretty satisfying I must say.
Having said all that I'm blown away that people can get to SM without
knowing anything about defencive+sunder. Having to teach a tank how to
tank everytime I go through a portal is pretty amazing, it might be
worth me setting up a macro /w/ing some how-to knowledge.

Apoptygma

Aug 29, 2006, 12:26:48 PM8/29/06

I got ganked repeatedly by a ?? level night elf druid called Greebo (in
cat form) and I logged onto my other account to both comment on how I
liked his name and tell him to get a life and let me get on with my
level 25 questing, He only spoke Vietmanese though, thought that was
very strange.

Catriona R

Aug 29, 2006, 1:15:13 PM8/29/06
On 29 Aug 2006 09:23:26 -0700, "Apoptygma" <apop...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Having said all that I'm blown away that people can get to SM without
>knowing anything about defencive+sunder. Having to teach a tank how to
>tank everytime I go through a portal is pretty amazing, it might be
>worth me setting up a macro /w/ing some how-to knowledge.

I was once in UBRS with a group which had two lvl 60 warriors, both said
they were dps specced but that shouldn't prevent them from having at least
*some* knowledge. Lets just say I never saw a single sunder debuff on any
mob in the entire run. Needless to say half the healers left us after dying
multiple times and the group as a whole was a dismal failure.

--
EU-Draenor:
Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 60)

Sealgair - Dwarf Hunter (lvl 39)

Apoptygma

Aug 29, 2006, 1:29:35 PM8/29/06

> I was once in UBRS with a group which had two lvl 60 warriors, both said
> they were dps specced but that shouldn't prevent them from having at least
> *some* knowledge. Lets just say I never saw a single sunder debuff on any
> mob in the entire run. Needless to say half the healers left us after dying
> multiple times and the group as a whole was a dismal failure.
> --
> EU-Draenor:
> Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 60)
> Sagart - Undead Priest (lvl 55)
> Sgoildubh - Human Mage (lvl 44)
> Beag - Dwarf Paladin (lvl 42)
> Sealgair - Dwarf Hunter (lvl 39)

It really is so easy to tank, I mean i think it's a lot more difficult
to heal as a shadow priest than it is to tank as arms/fury. The talents
really just don't play into it as much, whereas when I was main healer
even in my 40's I just kept going OOM despite using low-rank heals and
avoiding SW:P and shields, the only mana wasted was that spent on a
renew for DPS classes if they hit 50% basically a good tank makes or
breaks a group and I've met *very* few warriors who know how to play
their class. People complain about stupid rogues/hunters but
realisticly i think that warriors are the worst-played class in the
game just because they appeal to newbies because they look like the
"basic" class.
I love how people *think* I need to l2p when I tank on my alt because
I'm in defencive stance using shield bash/revenge/shield block just
because you don't see sunders doesn't mean they don't know what they
are doing, I only learn that by actually playing a warrior.
Again getting off track here (seems to be the theme for my posts
tonight, I'm on night-shift) one of the more entertaining tests I've
put the warrior through was trying to Duo WC with a priest - both of us
level 20. We did suprisingly well, she was fading at the *perfect*
times and keeping DPS light or using wand to hold mana so I could shred
most mobs with the Axe of orgrimar. Granted if i'd cashed the quest in
TB for the Blue 1-h Sword and used that with a shield (sword has 15dps
axe 11.8 iirc) we would have been cruising but the whole idea was to go
get deviate hides and serpent bloom *before* the flight to TB
Now that I have the blade in addition to a Blue shield that dropped in
that same instance with ~600 armor and some int/spr or some such
useless stat I wonder how we would go. Still we hit higher levels now
so the edge is lost.
What experience do people have Duoing instances which are still
yellow-level ?
It seems that a 3rd member with DPS / CC would make it very viable but
if it's got to be two people then i'd say a DPS warrior and healbot
Priest would make the best combo, that or a Shadow priest and Warlock
(if only Vamp worked on *other* peoples shad. dmg !)

PV

Aug 29, 2006, 1:30:09 PM8/29/06
"Apoptygma" <apop...@gmail.com> writes:
>cat form) and I logged onto my other account to both comment on how I
>liked his name and tell him to get a life and let me get on with my
>level 25 questing, He only spoke Vietmanese though, thought that was
>very strange.

Leveling service. Sigh. *
like corkscrews.

Marypop

Aug 29, 2006, 1:43:08 PM8/29/06
"Apoptygma" ...

> It really is so easy to tank, I mean i think it's a lot more difficult
> to heal as a shadow priest than it is to tank as arms/fury. The talents
> really just don't play into it as much, whereas when I was main healer
> even in my 40's I just kept going OOM despite using low-rank heals and
> avoiding SW:P and shields, the only mana wasted was that spent on a
> renew for DPS classes if they hit 50% basically a good tank makes or
> breaks a group and I've met *very* few warriors who know how to play
> their class. People complain about stupid rogues/hunters but
> realisticly i think that warriors are the worst-played class in the
> game just because they appeal to newbies because they look like the
> "basic" class.
> I love how people *think* I need to l2p when I tank on my alt because
> I'm in defencive stance using shield bash/revenge/shield block just
> because you don't see sunders doesn't mean they don't know what they
> are doing, I only learn that by actually playing a warrior.

true ... to a certain point !

As I said earlier, build is not very important to tank, and you can be
arms/fury AND be efficient as a tank.
Two points are important :
- skill
- stuff

This is only true until a certain point of course.

Stuff can balance your (non) talents, if you're greatly geared, you aggro
easily with dps + skills (do not defiance for exemple) AND more important,
you do not get hurt to much.

But, of course, if you have that build, you're generally not looking for the
right plates ...

Believe me, in UBRS, you need to be a good tank (= have good stuff) to
survive tanking the beast and drakki.
Or you're just loosing health too fast.

even worse later in the game.

For the sunders, I don't start tanking with them you're right, but you
should use some anyway !
At least agains bosses, or when you have rage for it and not for shield
bash/revenge (shield block is usefull only against casters) or when they're
not available.
PLUS, sunders help dpsers don't forget that. And a boss killed faster is
better chance for you (and the party) to survive.

Catriona R

Aug 29, 2006, 1:44:43 PM8/29/06
On 29 Aug 2006 10:29:35 -0700, "Apoptygma" <apop...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What experience do people have Duoing instances which are still
>yellow-level ?

Myself and a friend duoed Stockades as a druid/paladin combination at lvl
28 - worked pretty well, we only wiped once although Hamhock was a
challenge to say the least; I was totally oom by the time he died (I was
healing and the druid was tanking) so he had to switch out of bearform and
heal himself while the adds were still alive, but it worked. Not sure how
much beyond that we could duo, as we just got larger groups for all later
instances but that one was pretty satisfying.

We can also duo the first room of LBRS, with his 60 rogue tanking and my 55
priest healing - he says he can actually solo it but that's pretty tricky
and involves exiting the instance on bad pulls and using cooldowns a lot,
while with me healing it's much easier; we can even take on two mobs at a
time without much trouble, despite my lower level.

WheeZ50

Aug 29, 2006, 3:47:34 PM8/29/06
Catriona R wrote:
> "Apoptygma" wrote:

>> What experience do people have Duoing instances which are still
>> yellow-level ?

> Myself and a friend duoed Stockades as a druid/paladin combination
> at lvl 28 - worked pretty well, we only wiped once although Hamhock
> was a challenge to say the least; I was totally oom by the time he
> died (I was healing and the druid was tanking) so he had to switch
> out of bearform and heal himself while the adds were still alive,
> but it worked. Not sure how much beyond that we could duo, as we
> just got larger groups for all later instances but that one was
> pretty satisfying.

> We can also duo the first room of LBRS, with his 60 rogue tanking
> and my 55 priest healing - he says he can actually solo it but
> that's pretty tricky and involves exiting the instance on bad pulls
> and using cooldowns a lot, while with me healing it's much easier;
> we can even take on two mobs at a time without much trouble,
> despite my lower level.

I wonder why groups always have to be 5. I've done great things with
groups of four or even three. Indeed not of the same lvl, but had more
fun and it was easier on the organisation/startegics.

WheeZ50 (hypothetically speaking)
--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
(vrij naar) ~Oscar Wilde~

PV

Aug 29, 2006, 5:36:48 PM8/29/06
"WheeZ50" <wheez50....@xs4all.nl> writes:
>I wonder why groups always have to be 5. I've done great things with
>groups of four or even three. Indeed not of the same lvl, but had more
>fun and it was easier on the organisation/startegics.

They don't have to be 5, but the 'suggested levels' that blizzard supplies
are based on 5 players with 'expected gear for their level'. Sometimes just
one bounce over the normal will make a difference - I once did all of SM
armory and cath with my rogue and two warriors who both had Ravagers. I was
saying by the end that I felt sorry for the Scarlet Crusaders for the first
time - it was a such a bloodbath that it felt unfair. *

WheeZ50

Aug 29, 2006, 6:20:56 PM8/29/06
PV wrote:
> "WheeZ50" <wheez50....@xs4all.nl> writes:

>> I wonder why groups always have to be 5. I've done great things
>> with groups of four or even three. Indeed not of the same lvl, but
>> had more
>> fun and it was easier on the organisation/startegics.

> They don't have to be 5, but the 'suggested levels' that blizzard
> supplies are based on 5 players with 'expected gear for their
> level'. Sometimes just one bounce over the normal will make a
> difference - I once did all of SM armory and cath with my rogue and
> two warriors who both had Ravagers. I was saying by the end that I
> felt sorry for the Scarlet Crusaders for the first time - it was a
> such a bloodbath that it felt unfair. *

Hehe :-)

Same thing for me when I'm doing deadmines runs on my pally -
retribution aura on and all those miners are hacking themselves to
death. I feel so sorry for them and sometimes even think:"ohh guys,
stop hitting me, you're only hurting yourself.." And then I consecrate
to put them out of misery...

WheeZ50 (thanks for groupinfo - I had forgotten about blizz's
suggested levels/groups)

Coraline

Aug 30, 2006, 12:35:10 PM8/30/06
Catriona R wrote:
> Just curious about how other people come to choose their character names?
>
> I'm currently having a laugh because my usual method for choosing character
> names (plugging relevant words into a Gaelic dictionary and choosing one I
> like that also sounds like a name) turned up the name Naomh for my
> forthcoming Draenei priest, meaning "holy". I thought I'd google it just
> now and see if I could find out how to pronounce it (turns out it's
> pronounced "Nay-v", which I quite like), and discovered to my surprise that
> it *is* actually a real name!
>
> Not one I'd ever heard of before but it comes up on a few baby name sites;
> thankfully it is female, as I'd already decided my priest was to be female
> (pending my actually seeing some Draenei ingame; I don't like the male
> shape and animations much from videos I've seen, haven't seen enough of the
> females yet), but much to my horror on checking warcraftrealms.com I find a
> lot of other characters with that name. None listed on my server but right

> now I'm cursing the maintenance, as I'm thinking it'll be a rather good
> idea to make a placeholder character to reserve the name :-P

Warpgazer, my mage, is unique. Cool! Got the name from a superhero name
generator on the net :)

Bruce L Grubb

Sep 4, 2006, 6:18:35 AM9/4/06
Just created my first Horde character: A Shaman named Gruumsh. AD&D
players will reconize the name as that of the main deity of the Orcs
from Deities and Demigods.