AQ opening

Catriona R

Aug 16, 2020, 10:05:55 PM8/16/20
Well that was nice timing, been busy in RL and not playing any form of
WoW this week but my bf happened to log into Classic earlier and found
someone on a scarab mount posing in SW, with enough attention and
comments from onlookers to realise the gong had been banged very
recently indeed. Cool, I never saw the opening in vanilla (the guild
who rang the gong on my server did it in the middle of the night
without telling anyone) and I hadn't really expected to catch it this
time out, really glad I hit lucky!

Obviously, it's nothing special compared with more modern events,
really it seems to just be 10 hours of the same groups of mobs
respawning at 10-15 mins intervals, and as everyone knows much more
and servers are much more highly populated, it's basically get into a
raid, hope your raid's mages/hunters can tag anything at all, then
wait around for the respawns, it was probably a better experience the
first time out! Was fun to experience it at all though; I made 12k
more Brood of Nozdormu rep than I ever did in vanilla anyway :-)

Have to say I appreciated the surprisingly (for vanilla) user-friendly
event quests - there's 3 named mobs on a long respawn (or maybe only
once per event?) and if anyone at all has killed them, the quest is
available to everyone, whther they were part of the killing raid or
not. Unexpected!

Peter T.

Aug 17, 2020, 8:30:32 AM8/17/20
Den 17-08-2020 kl. 04:05 skrev Catriona R:
> my bf happened to log into Classic earlier and found
> someone on a scarab mount posing in SW

I've always wondered if any of the players who got the scarab mount back
in vanilla still plays the retail game today. I've never seen a player
using the original scarab in retail.
Back in MoP (I think) I saw a cow shaman running around on the blue
scarab. I stopped breathing for 3-4 sec. Later I found out it was the
blue scarab from blizzard's webshop. :)

--
Peter T.

Lewis

Aug 17, 2020, 1:52:40 PM8/17/20
In message <rhdt94$1pv0$1...@gioia.aioe.org> Peter T. <pin...@hotmail.moc> wrote:
> Den 17-08-2020 kl. 04:05 skrev Catriona R:
>> my bf happened to log into Classic earlier and found
>> someone on a scarab mount posing in SW

> I've always wondered if any of the players who got the scarab mount back
> in vanilla still plays the retail game today. I've never seen a player
> using the original scarab in retail.

Not sure which Scarab mount you mean? There are quite a lot of them, as
I recall. I know I have more than a couple.

I do not use them as I do not especially like them. Also, aren’t they
ground mounts only?

> Back in MoP (I think) I saw a cow shaman running around on the blue
> scarab. I stopped breathing for 3-4 sec. Later I found out it was the
> blue scarab from blizzard's webshop. :)

All my scarabs came from AQ.

--
I'll trade you 223 Wesley Crushers for your Captain Picard

Catriona R

Aug 17, 2020, 6:00:15 PM8/17/20
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:30:31 +0200, "Peter T." <pin...@hotmail.moc>
wrote:

>Den 17-08-2020 kl. 04:05 skrev Catriona R:
>> my bf happened to log into Classic earlier and found
>> someone on a scarab mount posing in SW
>
>I've always wondered if any of the players who got the scarab mount back
>in vanilla still plays the retail game today. I've never seen a player
>using the original scarab in retail.

I used to see one around on Draenor within the last 5-6 years or so,
but I know for a fact he was a transfer as he was Horde... Alliance
opened the gates here and nobody else was ready to get a 2nd mount on
the server.

Big contrast to Classic where servers are higher pop and everyone has
the knowledge to prepare for it - I saw at least 8 of them running
around while I was in Silithus last night, might've been more but it
was hard to keep count with so many.

>Back in MoP (I think) I saw a cow shaman running around on the blue
>scarab. I stopped breathing for 3-4 sec. Later I found out it was the
>blue scarab from blizzard's webshop. :)

There's a blue scarab from archaeology too,
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=92155/ultramarine-qiraji-battle-tank - I
used that for a while as it's so unique looking, very rare to see any
colour of scarab around.

Catriona R

Aug 17, 2020, 6:11:13 PM8/17/20
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:52:39 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>In message <rhdt94$1pv0$1...@gioia.aioe.org> Peter T. <pin...@hotmail.moc> wrote:
>> Den 17-08-2020 kl. 04:05 skrev Catriona R:
>>> my bf happened to log into Classic earlier and found
>>> someone on a scarab mount posing in SW
>
>> I've always wondered if any of the players who got the scarab mount back
>> in vanilla still plays the retail game today. I've never seen a player
>> using the original scarab in retail.
>
>Not sure which Scarab mount you mean? There are quite a lot of them, as
>I recall. I know I have more than a couple.

The black scarab mount: only the one player who banged the gong to
open AQ (and any other player who met the requirements to do so within
10 hours of the first one) on each server could ever get them. Given
natural player attrition there probably aren't many active nowadays!

>I do not use them as I do not especially like them. Also, aren’t they
>ground mounts only?
>
>> Back in MoP (I think) I saw a cow shaman running around on the blue
>> scarab. I stopped breathing for 3-4 sec. Later I found out it was the
>> blue scarab from blizzard's webshop. :)
>
>All my scarabs came from AQ.

Those only work *inside* AQ though (unless it's changed recently?),
the ones which can be used in the outside world are much much rarer.

Lewis

Aug 17, 2020, 6:26:37 PM8/17/20
In message <mgvljf1eopdi2hht0...@4ax.com> Catriona R <catriona...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:52:39 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
> <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>>> I've always wondered if any of the players who got the scarab mount back
>>> in vanilla still plays the retail game today. I've never seen a player
>>> using the original scarab in retail.
>>
>>Not sure which Scarab mount you mean? There are quite a lot of them, as
>>I recall. I know I have more than a couple.

> The black scarab mount: only the one player who banged the gong to
> open AQ (and any other player who met the requirements to do so within
> 10 hours of the first one) on each server could ever get them. Given
> natural player attrition there probably aren't many active nowadays!

Ah, no, I expect not. OTOH, they brought back the Grand Marshall stick.

>>I do not use them as I do not especially like them. Also, aren’t they
>>ground mounts only?
>>
>>> Back in MoP (I think) I saw a cow shaman running around on the blue
>>> scarab. I stopped breathing for 3-4 sec. Later I found out it was the
>>> blue scarab from blizzard's webshop. :)
>>
>>All my scarabs came from AQ.

> Those only work *inside* AQ though (unless it's changed recently?),
> the ones which can be used in the outside world are much much rarer.

I know I have at least one that is usable in the world because I used it
at the start of Legion when I was limited to ground mounts for the area
in the south west where there were all the spiders and demons. Have
forgotten that zone and sub zone's names. I was over there a lot.

--
"Alas, earwax."

Lewis

Aug 17, 2020, 11:43:37 PM8/17/20
Now I am not so sure. I know I do not have the back one as I did not
participate in the AQ event and I do not THINK I have the blue one. Is
there some other beetle-ish looking ground mount?

It *could* be the Blue one though.

--
What are you, Ghouls? There are no dead students here. This week.

Peter T.

Aug 18, 2020, 9:12:07 AM8/18/20
Den 18-08-2020 kl. 00:00 skrev Catriona R:

> There's a blue scarab from archaeology too,
> https://www.wowhead.com/spell=92155/ultramarine-qiraji-battle-tank - I
> used that for a while as it's so unique looking, very rare to see any
> colour of scarab around.

Someone posted a neat site
<https://simplearmory.com/?#/eu/draenor/multiproc/collectable/mounts>
with a simple overview of many kinds of collections. That site gave me
2 free mounts I wasn't aware of. :)
I've just finished the Two sides of every tale ach (mount) and two days
ago I started picking up the pets in Legion that leads to more mounts.
After that I will farm the archeology mounts.

--
Peter T.

Lewis

Aug 18, 2020, 11:22:58 AM8/18/20
In message <rhgk33$h9o$1...@gioia.aioe.org> Peter T. <pin...@hotmail.moc> wrote:
> Den 18-08-2020 kl. 00:00 skrev Catriona R:

>> There's a blue scarab from archaeology too,
>> https://www.wowhead.com/spell=92155/ultramarine-qiraji-battle-tank - I
>> used that for a while as it's so unique looking, very rare to see any
>> colour of scarab around.

> Someone posted a neat site
> <https://simplearmory.com/?#/eu/draenor/multiproc/collectable/mounts>

That's pretty cool. I sent it to a few friends who are till playing.

--
These go to 11

Catriona R

Aug 18, 2020, 12:12:19 PM8/18/20
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:12:06 +0200, "Peter T." <pin...@hotmail.moc>
wrote:

>Den 18-08-2020 kl. 00:00 skrev Catriona R:
>
>> There's a blue scarab from archaeology too,
>> https://www.wowhead.com/spell=92155/ultramarine-qiraji-battle-tank - I
>> used that for a while as it's so unique looking, very rare to see any
>> colour of scarab around.
>
>Someone posted a neat site
><https://simplearmory.com/?#/eu/draenor/multiproc/collectable/mounts>
>with a simple overview of many kinds of collections. That site gave me
>2 free mounts I wasn't aware of. :)

Ooh that looks nice, might make it easier to spot some good targets
indeed :-)

>I've just finished the Two sides of every tale ach (mount) and two days
>ago I started picking up the pets in Legion that leads to more mounts.
>After that I will farm the archeology mounts.

I need to make some time to do the Alliance story for that mount, it
sounds like it was a good story anyway, it's just getting around to
it, particularly as it requires more dungeons than Horde did!

Catriona R

Aug 18, 2020, 12:20:49 PM8/18/20
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 03:43:35 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>Now I am not so sure. I know I do not have the back one as I did not
>participate in the AQ event and I do not THINK I have the blue one. Is
>there some other beetle-ish looking ground mount?
>
>It *could* be the Blue one though.

There are the water walking mounts (
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=118089/azure-water-strider ), but I
assume you'd know it was one of them and not a scarab Also there's a
spider but it's pretty obviously not a scarab and I'm sure you'd
remember it was a spider quite well if you'd spent 2 million gold on
it ;-) I'd guess the ultramarine one is most likely if you've ever
done archaeology, it's not a super common drop but it is possible to
hit lucky and get it without a ton of farming.

Actually, https://www.warcraftmounts.com/gallery.php might be useful,
groups them by type so it's easier to spot what's available!

Tim Merrigan

Aug 18, 2020, 1:17:34 PM8/18/20
I think there's a Slithid mount that looks similar to what you all
seem to be calling beetles (which don't look anything like beetles, to
my eye), though it's a dark red/brown color.

I have a Grinning Reaver, which I bought when it became available.

https://www.warcraftmounts.com/mounts/grinningreaver.php

and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Tim Merrigan

Aug 18, 2020, 1:46:53 PM8/18/20
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:17:32 -0700, Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:20:47 +0100, Catriona R
><catriona...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 03:43:35 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
>><g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>>
>>>Now I am not so sure. I know I do not have the back one as I did not
>>>participate in the AQ event and I do not THINK I have the blue one. Is
>>>there some other beetle-ish looking ground mount?
>>>
>>>It *could* be the Blue one though.
>>
>>There are the water walking mounts (
>>https://www.wowhead.com/spell=118089/azure-water-strider ), but I
>>assume you'd know it was one of them and not a scarab Also there's a
>>spider but it's pretty obviously not a scarab and I'm sure you'd
>>remember it was a spider quite well if you'd spent 2 million gold on
>>it ;-) I'd guess the ultramarine one is most likely if you've ever
>>done archaeology, it's not a super common drop but it is possible to
>>hit lucky and get it without a ton of farming.
>>
>>Actually, https://www.warcraftmounts.com/gallery.php might be useful,
>>groups them by type so it's easier to spot what's available!
>
>I think there's a Slithid mount that looks similar to what you all
>seem to be calling beetles (which don't look anything like beetles, to
>my eye), though it's a dark red/brown color.
>
>I have a Grinning Reaver, which I bought when it became available.
>
>https://www.warcraftmounts.com/mounts/grinningreaver.php

I often feel like I'm cheating when I buy the in-game shop mounts (and
pets), though that doesn't stop me doing it.

In fact I kinda like my Enchanted Fey Dragon, for my Dranai alts.

Lewis

Aug 18, 2020, 6:25:43 PM8/18/20
If I ever reactivate my account I will surely forget to checks :)

--
i wasn't born a programmer. i became one because i was impatient. -
Dave Winer

Peter T.

Aug 18, 2020, 7:57:50 PM8/18/20
Den 18-08-2020 kl. 18:12 skrev Catriona R:
> I need to make some time to do the Alliance story for that mount, it
> sounds like it was a good story anyway, it's just getting around to
> it, particularly as it requires more dungeons than Horde did!

3 or 4 dungeons afair. Siege of Boralus was the last dungeon. Only
Boralus have to be done on HC. The others can be done on normal.

I haven't done any dungeon since the start of the expansion. So I met
this 100% total meme-tank in one of the runs. What. A. Temper! that guy
had! He chain-pulled through the dungeon and the healer couldn't follow
I guess. So he died. And I also died maybe 10 secs later. He went
full retard and yelled CR at me (I played a lowgeared druid) which he
never got as I didn't paid attention to the chat.
I dont know what kind of weed he'd smoked, but he kept /spit'ting on my
3-4 time a secs the rest of the dungeon. Between second and third boss
he wrote "Take a knife. Place it at your throat. And push." I was
baffled. I should have reported him as this would have given him a
well-deserved break, but it wasn't on my mind. :) Maybe some of the
other players in the group reported him as I haven't seen any progress
on his char since then.
Wonder why many players never pugs dungeons and raids...

Anyway. One of the ach's on your way to the mount also requires all the
entry quests in Zandalar done before you can do any further progress.
It's not clearly stated anywhere so I just mention it.

--
Peter T.

Catriona R

Aug 18, 2020, 9:56:45 PM8/18/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 01:57:49 +0200, "Peter T." <pin...@hotmail.moc>
wrote:

>Den 18-08-2020 kl. 18:12 skrev Catriona R:
>> I need to make some time to do the Alliance story for that mount, it
>> sounds like it was a good story anyway, it's just getting around to
>> it, particularly as it requires more dungeons than Horde did!
>
>3 or 4 dungeons afair. Siege of Boralus was the last dungeon. Only
>Boralus have to be done on HC. The others can be done on normal.

Yep, I was waiting for the heroic version to become available (rather
than forcedmythic that an't even be queued for) then never got round
to going back. My Alliance character is a DH and my bf has a druid
capable of healing, so we should be able to duo it (well, so long as
there's no stupid mechanics fights, we couldn't do Waycrest Manor on
anything higher than normal with our mains due to chain stuns on too
many bossfights), just have to get around to gearing up a little (and
persuade him he really wants to help me...)

>I haven't done any dungeon since the start of the expansion. So I met
>this 100% total meme-tank in one of the runs. What. A. Temper! that guy
>had! He chain-pulled through the dungeon and the healer couldn't follow
>I guess. So he died. And I also died maybe 10 secs later. He went
>full retard and yelled CR at me (I played a lowgeared druid) which he
>never got as I didn't paid attention to the chat.
>I dont know what kind of weed he'd smoked, but he kept /spit'ting on my
>3-4 time a secs the rest of the dungeon. Between second and third boss
>he wrote "Take a knife. Place it at your throat. And push." I was
>baffled. I should have reported him as this would have given him a
>well-deserved break, but it wasn't on my mind. :) Maybe some of the
>other players in the group reported him as I haven't seen any progress
>on his char since then.
>Wonder why many players never pugs dungeons and raids...

Wow, that sounds extreme even for regular bad pug experiences, sheesh!
Definitely deserved a report but I suspect I'd have been similarly too
stunned tothink of it at the time. Never met anyone as bad as that,
it's just normal pugs that put me off dungeons... frankly I'd love it
if it was possible to just queue in a "story mode" with a bunch of
NPCs as partymates to see a place and get quests done. I know MMOs are
meant to encourage interacting with other players, but toxicity levels
make me less and less interested, seeing them out in the world and
organically working together on elite/bossfights outdoors is enough
"MMO" for me, thanks lol.

>Anyway. One of the ach's on your way to the mount also requires all the
>entry quests in Zandalar done before you can do any further progress.
>It's not clearly stated anywhere so I just mention it.

Aha, thanks for the warning! I'd be aiming to complete everything
anyway, but it would be easy to just think "I'll do that later" and
wonder why the achievement wasn't working!

Catriona R

Aug 18, 2020, 10:12:42 PM8/18/20
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:46:51 -0700, Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:17:32 -0700, Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com>
>wrote:
>>I think there's a Slithid mount that looks similar to what you all
>>seem to be calling beetles (which don't look anything like beetles, to
>>my eye), though it's a dark red/brown color.

Calling it a scarab actually, which you're right, is a type of beetle,
while the mount is a silithid. I think I call it that because the
first one ingame came from ringing the "Scarab gong" to open
Ahn'Qiraj, and the "scarab" name just stuck in the community! Until
this thread came up I didn't know the mount's actual name lol, I'd
only known it as the "black scarab mount" for 14 years!

https://www.wowhead.com/item=21176/black-qiraji-resonating-crystal

>>I have a Grinning Reaver, which I bought when it became available.
>>
>>https://www.warcraftmounts.com/mounts/grinningreaver.php

Aha, that's the store one that's a similar shape, it's a Draenor-style
silithid, but clearly based off the same model. Now I see it flies
which is why I wasn't finding it in ground mounts.

>I often feel like I'm cheating when I buy the in-game shop mounts (and
>pets), though that doesn't stop me doing it.
>
>In fact I kinda like my Enchanted Fey Dragon, for my Dranai alts.

I love that dragon, but haven't yet convinced myself to spend that
much on it, the only store things I buy are pets, when there's a 50%
sale on: even on 50% sale I find the mounts a bit more than I really
want to pay, although I suppose I could justify it to myself as a gold
price if there was one I *really* wanted.

I do have a couple of the 6 months sub mounts that are otherwise
available in the store though: when the cute rat came out I decided
that, as I'd been continuously subbed on a rolling 3 months sub for
about 13 years without a break, then maybe, just maybe, it would
indeed be more cost effective to just switch to 6 months and enjoy the
free mounts with it! Tougher choice for people who take breaks from
the game, but I never seem to get bored for more than a few weeks (and
now Classic is on the same sub, I'll often just be playing that
instead), so it's fairly worthwhile for me.

Tim Merrigan

Aug 19, 2020, 3:20:33 PM8/19/20
I have a full subscription, so I get the six month mounts
automatically, and a while back, when I was getting close to 200(?)
mounts I bought all the shop and vender mounts I could (that I didn't
already have), to reach it, because I really wanted the dragonhalk for
my blood elf alts.

I also cheated on the Zangramarsh dungeons (walking a 120 through
them) to get exalted with the Cenarion Expedition, so I could get the
hypogriph for my night elf alts. (Later more hypogriphs became
available.)

I also like the Year of the Rat mouse too. And if you know the year
animal story(ies) you know that he really is a trickster.

(There was a race between the 12 iconic animals, and they would be
applied to the years in the order in which they crossed the finish
line. Rat, because of his diminutive size and short legs, asked Bull
to give him a ride. He rode on Bull's snout until they were
approaching the finish line first, then leapt off his nose to cross
the line first.)