Alchemy – when do you get/make discoveries?

mmalb...@yahoo.co.uk

May 21, 2008, 10:15:30 AM5/21/08
Just DING’d 68 on my "huntard” hunter, and have 375 in ‘erbs and 360
in alchemy.
I was wondering when do you start discovering other recipes from
making potions or elixirs etc.
Up to 360 in alchemy I haven’t yet made one … is there a lvl
requirement, or a skill requirement?, or is it just luck?

Also a further question, what is better to be a Master of Potions,
Elixirs, or transmutation?
My thoughts:
Transmutation – I’ve heard the additional proc rate is low.
Healing and mana potions, I’ve so many from drops that I don’t really
need them for any character for PVE – however when I do venture into
the world of the BG I use loads of them – so I would expect there is
still a market / requirement for them.
Also when we run instances – they are always handy to have if the
healer misses a heal.
The benefits of elixirs are also great for instances, and in great
demand from friends and family alike.

So which way should / ought I go?

Looking at the quests for Master of potions/elixirs – both will need
some investment in time in Temple Keep or Caverns of time – I might be
a little underpowered in lvl and gear for those 5 mans right now. 

Or do I need to grind some rep for more recipes get to lvl 375 and the
discoveries will come, and by then I will get an idea which way to go
…..?

BLMX

May 21, 2008, 10:51:34 AM5/21/08
I forget if there's a level req. but beyond that Discoveries "just
happen" when you're doing your normal crafting stuff. I haven't had
one for quite awhile. But there's been weeks where I've had two.

As far as Mastery... it depends what you plan to do with your char,
really. For example, if you're participating frequently in guildie
stuff, then you might want to see what Mastery would better
synergize. Caution: In attempting to find this info you may become
the default "potion or elixir guy". Which may seem nice to be needed
at first, but can become a burden.

I chose Transmutation because I don't want to spend alot of time
gathering stuff. Nowadays I usually play for about 2 hrs/day so I
don't want to spend time farming/gathering - just wanna go play. I
dropped Herbalism for Tailoring, so making potions/elixirs would
require me to buy herbs. Transmuting is a low-maintenance money
maker. For example, even if I don't have time to "play" WoW, I'd try
to jump on an do my Transmute for the day. While the proc rate seems
low, the cost of the items you create is generally high so even one
additional can mean a lot of gold (by "a lot" I mean relative to the
effort). For example, buy a Primal Earth from AH for 3G, sell a
Primal Water for 20G. Get a proc during the xmute and your 17G profit
jumps to 37+G. Buy 85G worth of mats for Earthstorm Diamond, sell the
Diamond for 125G, profit 40G. Get one additional proc... 165G
profit. Both examples take about 3 minutes of AH work.
OTOH, you could make more gold if you put alot of effort into farming
mats and selling large amounts of popular Raid potions/elixirs, or the
herbs themselves. Depends on whatcha wanna do.

At any rate, if you decide to go Xmute, pick potions anyway. Cuz the
Xmute Mastery quest has you making like 5 Primal Mights to turn in.
Those 5 cost more than the 150G to switch Masteries (once you're a
potion master).

gerryq

May 21, 2008, 10:52:24 AM5/21/08
On May 21, 3:15 pm, mmalby2...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Just DING’d 68 on my  "huntard” hunter, and have 375 in ‘erbs and 360
> in alchemy.
> I was wondering when do you start discovering other recipes from
> making potions or elixirs etc.
> Up to 360 in alchemy I haven’t yet made one … is there a lvl
> requirement, or a skill requirement?, or is it just luck?

Just luck, and making lots of +300 alchemy skill potions. Be patient
and they will come.

> Also a further question, what is better to be a Master of Potions,
> Elixirs, or transmutation?

Master of Potions is considered easiest to get, and when you have it
you can at any time switch to either of the others by unlearning it
for 150g. It requires only some potions that are easy to make/get,
and a visit to the second boss in a fairly popular L70 instance. So
i'd go there initially.

If you raid a lot you'll see the benefits from potion or elixir
mastery. It won;t make or break your game, but it's nice to see a few
extra items of the kind you were making anyway. If you don;t raid, and
don't find transmuting so mindlessly boring that you never do it (like
me) it may be the most profitable otherwise.

> Or do I need to grind some rep for more recipes get to lvl 375 and the

> discoveries will come, and by then I will get an idea which way to go.

I found alchemy easy enough to level; it is probably the only crafting
profession you can level without ever making rubbish that you have to
dump on the AH. I'm not even sure you need rep to get recipes to
reach 375. But if you want the new super alchemist's stone trinket,
you'll need to grind Shat'ar and then SSO rep. Both come fairly
easily though compared to some factions.

- Gerry Quinn

Catriona R

May 21, 2008, 11:03:48 AM5/21/08

On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:52:24 -0700 (PDT), gerryq <ger...@indigo.ie> wrote:

>> Or do I need to grind some rep for more recipes get to lvl 375 and the
>> discoveries will come, and by then I will get an idea which way to go.
>
>I found alchemy easy enough to level; it is probably the only crafting
>profession you can level without ever making rubbish that you have to
>dump on the AH. I'm not even sure you need rep to get recipes to
>reach 375. But if you want the new super alchemist's stone trinket,
>you'll need to grind Shat'ar and then SSO rep. Both come fairly
>easily though compared to some factions.

You certainly can reach 375 without rep as my alchemist was 375 skill long
before she reached lvl 60 (I had a different character doing the herbing),
think I mainly got that on mana potions etc. There's also no level limit on
discoveries as I got 2-3 flasks before I'd reached lvl 60 (and still am
only lvl 60 on that character!), it's just luck really, pretty sure I had
at least one discovery when not 375 as well, as I got skillups from making
a few of one of the flasks I discovered.
--
EU-Draenor:
Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 70)

colemanj4

May 21, 2008, 11:15:18 AM5/21/08

Lower City, not Shat'ar

Thomas Jespersen

May 21, 2008, 11:21:46 AM5/21/08
On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:03:48 +0100, Catriona R
<catrion...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>You certainly can reach 375 without rep as my alchemist was 375 skill long
>before she reached lvl 60 (I had a different character doing the herbing),

Yep. I made Major Dreamless Sleep Potions. One of the least expensive
pots to make to ding 375 alchemy. Even though it turns green 5-10
levels before 375 it is worth using to hit it.

Here it is including vendors for both factions:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=22911

Thomas Jespersen

May 21, 2008, 11:32:25 AM5/21/08
On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:15:30 -0700 (PDT), mmalb...@yahoo.co.uk
wrote:

>I was wondering when do you start discovering other recipes from
>making potions or elixirs etc.

>Up to 360 in alchemy I haven??t yet made one ?K is there a lvl

>requirement, or a skill requirement?, or is it just luck?

Just luck. The easiest discoveries you can probably make is the
"Cauldrons of Protection". To discover them you need to make Major
Protection potions of the same school as the cauldron you need to
discover.

I think there is one rule however:

To discover the transmutes you actually need to do a transmute. But to
discover flasks and potions it doesn't matter whether you make potions
or elixirs/flasks.

>Also a further question, what is better to be a Master of Potions,
>Elixirs, or transmutation?

Well you can either pick from the guilds needs (ask in the guild forum
or guildchat) or you can pick it purely from the moneymaking point of
view.

You can make cash on either of the masteries:

-Transmutation. Tell in the tradechannel when your transmute is ready.
If you get a customer state upfront that you are a transmute master
and you intend to keep any "leftovers" if it should proc. If it procs
you can make very decent cash. If you are really lucky you can get up
to 5 of a thing which is very decent cash if you just made a Primal
Might or a Meta gem. Problem is the 23 hour cooldown which limits its
profitability though.

-Potions. My mage is a potion master right now, I might switch to
elixirs later when I have discovered a sufficient amount of flasks.
Whereas elixirs and transmutation can make decent money on single
items potion masters can make up for it in sheer volume of items they
can sell. Some of the potion recipes are world-drop recipes and can be
quite expensive at the auction-house, but can proove to be very
profitable if you can make them.

-Elixirs. Flasks! Need I say more? :)
A proc on a 60+ gold worth flask should be a wonderful feeling I heard
:)
You need to discover many of the flask first though.

mmalb...@yahoo.co.uk

May 21, 2008, 11:53:32 AM5/21/08
Thanks guys for the info.

I will have a go at making some potions etc and see if I discover
anything ....

colemanj4

May 21, 2008, 2:19:05 PM5/21/08
On May 21, 11:32 am, Thomas Jespersen <jespersen.tho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:15:30 -0700 (PDT), mmalby2...@yahoo.co.uk

I made a tonne of prot potions (the armour ones) and have gotten
nothing! makes me sad, I know thre are still a tonne of discs I need,
nad haven't had a disc for about a month, doing 500+ potions/elixers/
mutes in that time

Polarhound

May 21, 2008, 6:30:38 PM5/21/08

The simplest to make is actually the Mad Alchemist potion, available at
the Shatt trainer and requires only 2 Ragveil.

There is only one criteria to determine whether a discovery is possible:
The potion/elixir/flask you are making must consist of ALL Outland herbs.

Polarhound

May 21, 2008, 6:32:05 PM5/21/08
Thomas Jespersen wrote:

> To discover the transmutes you actually need to do a transmute. But to
> discover flasks and potions it doesn't matter whether you make potions
> or elixirs/flasks.

Wrong.

There is no differentiation between what TYPE of item you are making.
It just has to be an eligible item.

If what you said was true, then my last three discoveries (all Transmute
ones) wouldn't have happened from making Mad Alchy pots.

Catriona R

May 21, 2008, 6:34:30 PM5/21/08

Really? I'd only ever heard of transmute discoveries coming from
transmutes, wonder if that changed then. Because if it's always been like
that, funny how I've discovered 3 flasks and a potion but zero transmutes,
when I've made one heck of a lot of potions and elixirs.

Blackheart - US - PvP

May 22, 2008, 1:38:03 AM5/22/08
On May 21, 6:34 pm, Catriona R <catrionarNOS...@totalise.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:32:05 -0400, Polarhound
>
> <fu3ot43...@n0tachance1nhell.com> wrote:
> >Thomas Jespersen wrote:
>
> >> To discover the transmutes you actually need to do a transmute. But to
> >> discover flasks and potions it doesn't matter whether you make potions
> >> or elixirs/flasks.
>
> >Wrong.
>
> >There is no differentiation between what TYPE of item you are making.
> >It just has to be an eligible item.
>
> >If what you said was true, then my last three discoveries (all Transmute
> >ones) wouldn't have happened from making Mad Alchy pots.
>
> Really? I'd only ever heard of transmute discoveries coming from
> transmutes, wonder if that changed then. Because if it's always been like
> that, funny how I've discovered 3 flasks and a potion but zero transmutes,
> when I've made one heck of a lot of potions and elixirs.

nawp.. I discovered a useless transmute from making elixirs. (shadow
to earth or something like that).

get informed.

Nibbler

May 22, 2008, 3:01:12 AM5/22/08

"Polarhound" <fu3ot...@n0tachance1nhell.com> wrote in message

I used my first toon who was mothballed for about a year at 43 then lvled it
to50 to do all the alchemy training, I trained it up to about 350 and stayed
there for quite a while and made 5 discoveries in that time, though all
pots.

Flask of Fortification
Flask of Mighty Restoration
Flask of Pure Death
Flask of Relentless Assault
Super Rejuvenation Potion (which I used eventually to go up to 375)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ghostlands&n=Norabatty

PhilHibbs

May 22, 2008, 8:30:53 AM5/22/08
Blackheart - US - PvP wrote:
> nawp.. I discovered a useless transmute from making elixirs. (shadow
> to earth or something like that).
>
> get informed.

Then it must be a fantastically low rate. I've discovered all the
Primal transmutes from doing transmutes, and I've discovered three
flasks from doing Elixirs. I do transmutes every day that I play
(Earth to Water) so the chance of discovering a flask/cauldron from
doing a transmute must be really tiny. Also no-one in my raid has ever
discovered something of a different type. I suspect that you are
mistaken. And rude.

Hoofu, 70 tauren shaman, Argent Dawn (EU)

Catriona R

May 22, 2008, 8:43:33 AM5/22/08

On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:30:53 -0700 (PDT), PhilHibbs <sna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I've had him killfied for some time so didn't see this... maybe it changed
recently as it's been some time since I made anything with my alchemist,
but in the past the conventional wisdom was that transmute discoveries only
came from transmutes - I'd never heard of it being different until this
thread.

gerryq

May 22, 2008, 10:06:26 AM5/22/08
On May 21, 4:32 pm, Thomas Jespersen <jespersen.tho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:15:30 -0700 (PDT), mmalby2...@yahoo.co.uk

> wrote:
>
> >I was wondering when do you start discovering other recipes from
> >making potions or elixirs etc.
> >Up to 360 in alchemy I haven??t yet made one ?K is there a lvl
> >requirement, or a skill requirement?, or is it just luck?
>
> Just luck. The easiest discoveries you can probably make is the
> "Cauldrons of Protection". To discover them you need to make Major
> Protection potions of the same school as the cauldron you need to
> discover.

I made mostly potions and elixirs - my first discovery was Super
Rejuvenation Potion, which I think is also common. Since then I've
got Fel Mana potion etc. and a collection of flasks, though not all of
them. AFAIK you only discover cauldrons when you make protective
potions, which I don't do much.

I can't understand why players don't use rejuvenation potions; I'd
have thought that at least for healers or tanking paladins etc.,
having a rejuve potion option (along with standard health and mana
potions) would be a lifesaver in certain circumstances. Addmitedly
the rejuve is more expensive, but why not have one for emergencies?

- Gerry Quinn

hwwright

May 22, 2008, 10:43:40 AM5/22/08
On May 21, 9:51 am, BLMX <junkbin5...@comcast.net> wrote:

> At any rate, if you decide to go Xmute, pick potions anyway.  Cuz the
> Xmute Mastery quest has you making like 5 Primal Mights to turn in.
> Those 5 cost more than the 150G to switch Masteries (once you're a
> potion master).

So does this mean you don't have to turn in the 5 Primal Mights to
switch from potions to xmute or do you still have to turn those in
along with 150G?

PV

May 22, 2008, 10:48:15 AM5/22/08
PhilHibbs <sna...@gmail.com> writes:
>Then it must be a fantastically low rate. I've discovered all the
>Primal transmutes from doing transmutes, and I've discovered three
>flasks from doing Elixirs.

Same here. I've discovered a ton of transmutes (I'm nearly at the point
that I can transmute anything to anything else), but only doing transmutes,
plus one I learned from reputation. I've never discovered anything *but*
transmutes from doing transmutations, either.

If it happens, it's vanishingly rare. *
like corkscrews.

John Gordon

May 22, 2008, 11:02:03 AM5/22/08
In <fcc3b3d4-74d7-4721...@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com> hwwright <hwwr...@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 21, 9:51=A0am, BLMX <junkbin5...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > At any rate, if you decide to go Xmute, pick potions anyway. Cuz the
> > Xmute Mastery quest has you making like 5 Primal Mights to turn in.
> > Those 5 cost more than the 150G to switch Masteries (once you're a
> > potion master).

> So does this mean you don't have to turn in the 5 Primal Mights to
> switch from potions to xmute

Yes. Pay 150g and bingo, you're an xmute master.

gor...@panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

PV

May 22, 2008, 5:24:09 PM5/22/08
hwwright <hwwr...@gmail.com> writes:
>So does this mean you don't have to turn in the 5 Primal Mights to
>switch from potions to xmute or do you still have to turn those in
>along with 150G?

Just the cash. It's totally the way to do it - become a potions master for
el-cheapo (a few potions and a quick run through Botanica), and then drop
and switch to one of the other professions for cash. *

Miikka

May 24, 2008, 4:16:48 AM5/24/08
PV <pv+u...@pobox.com> wrote:
> PhilHibbs <sna...@gmail.com> writes:
>>Then it must be a fantastically low rate. I've discovered all the
>>Primal transmutes from doing transmutes, and I've discovered three
>>flasks from doing Elixirs.
>
> Same here. I've discovered a ton of transmutes (I'm nearly at the point
> that I can transmute anything to anything else), but only doing transmutes,
> plus one I learned from reputation. I've never discovered anything *but*
> transmutes from doing transmutations, either.
>
> If it happens, it's vanishingly rare. *

Hmm, I've got each and every transmute discovery with my alchemist, and
none of them came from transmutes. (And unfortunately only one flask
discovery so far... :( )

From Wowwiki (http://www.wowwiki.com/Discovery) the only clear rule
seems to be that it needs to be a recipe from Burning Crusades. Of course
it might be that you get more transmute discoveries from doing transmutes
but with just our experiences it's impossible to say that for certain.

--
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society." -Mark Twain