Review: G-Darius

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Jul 17, 2013, 3:44:00 AM7/17/13
Add a 3-D looking perspective to the horizontal scrolling Darius action,
with occasional diagonal scrolling, and that's the basic gameplay of
G-Darius.

The capture ball feature in G-Darius is similar to the TOZ feature in
Gaiares. Fire a capture ball at an enemy, steal it, and in some cases it
will replicate into two enemies.

The captured enemies can be used as additional firepower, or as a shield,
depending on the enemy that was captured. Or, they can be deployed as a bomb
of limited range.

Some captured midbosses have extra firepower with specific joystick moves;
however, I haven't figured all of them out and they are not documented in
the game manuals.

The real value of the captured enemies; however, is the beta beam.

See, the beta beam can be charged up to take out enemies that require more
hits, or midbosses. However, the beta beam cannot affect gold plates on some
enemies, so the gold plates have to be destroyed using normal shots (which
doesn't make sense to me, but that's the game design). Still, the real value
of the beta beam is boss fights--a boss will fire one or more alpha beams
(red) and the player can fire a beta beam (blue) at the boss alpha beams. If
the player loses the beam battle, they lose a turn. If the player wins the
beam battle, the alpha beam(s) are deflected back at the boss along with the
much enlarged beta beam--instant and heavy damage to the boss.

Music is some slow mysterious music and other stages have rather heavy synth
rock.

I actually find the initial stages of G-Darius to be easier than those of
Darius Gaiden; however, the game is not all easy and does ramp up quite
quickly in the later stages.

The versions of G-Darius I have played are for the PSOne and on Taito
Legends for the PS2. A unique feature of G-Darius for the PSOne is the
ability to select a mode to fight bosses only.

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Jul 17, 2013, 3:49:15 AM7/17/13
"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <dwro...@nethere.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
Oh yeah, and if the Queen Fossil boss fight took five minutes in Darius
Gaiden, it takes almost 10 minutes in G-Darius without using the beta beam.