Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland - question

David Eastwood

Jan 28, 2003, 7:03:43 PM1/28/03
Just picked up a used copy of this for my 9-year old, but didn't get a
manual. He's figured out the controls, but can't find how to save the
game in progress.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
David
David Eastwood - eats...@mchsi.com

koorb

Jan 28, 2003, 7:15:28 PM1/28/03
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:03:43 GMT, David Eastwood <eats...@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>Just picked up a used copy of this for my 9-year old, but didn't get a
>manual. He's figured out the controls, but can't find how to save the
>game in progress.
>
>Can anyone help?

It should auto save as you play.

David Eastwood

Jan 28, 2003, 7:32:29 PM1/28/03
koorb <ko...@raiders.co.uk> wrote:

Well, that's what we thought, but it doesn't seem to be doing so. Do
you have to get to a certain stage first?

Thanks for the response!

Jonathan Timar

Jan 29, 2003, 4:00:11 AM1/29/03

> Well, that's what we thought, but it doesn't seem to be doing so. Do
> you have to get to a certain stage first?

Maybe it is a damaged cartridge.

David Eastwood

Jan 29, 2003, 7:56:46 AM1/29/03
"Jonathan Timar" <act...@look.ca> wrote:

I'd wondered that too, but dismissed it because:

1) the game plays perfectly
2) there's no obvious sign of physical damage

Thanks,
David

John Williams

Jan 29, 2003, 8:44:48 AM1/29/03
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:32:29 GMT, David Eastwood
<eats...@mchsi.com> wrote:

>koorb <ko...@raiders.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:03:43 GMT, David Eastwood <eats...@mchsi.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Just picked up a used copy of this for my 9-year old, but didn't get a
>>>manual. He's figured out the controls, but can't find how to save the
>>>game in progress.
>>>
>>>Can anyone help?
>>
>>It should auto save as you play.
>
>Well, that's what we thought, but it doesn't seem to be doing so. Do
>you have to get to a certain stage first?

Yes, you have to make it through all the intermediate stages till
you get back to the map screen. If you've done that and it still
hasn't saved, then you've got problems with the cartridge.

Also, there's a combo key move your son may not have found, and
it can come in very handy: Kirby runs when you tap left or right
on the control pad and then tap again and hold in the same
direction.

John Williams

deKay

Jan 29, 2003, 3:07:46 PM1/29/03
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 29 Jan
2003 00:03:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gameboy, yawatina tan reek esk David Eastwood
<eats...@mchsi.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Just picked up a used copy of this for my 9-year old, but didn't get a
>manual. He's figured out the controls, but can't find how to save the
>game in progress.

It's saved automatically after each completed level.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk

David Eastwood

Jan 29, 2003, 8:14:25 PM1/29/03
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 29 Jan
>2003 00:03:43 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>uk.games.video.gameboy, yawatina tan reek esk David Eastwood
><eats...@mchsi.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Just picked up a used copy of this for my 9-year old, but didn't get a
>>manual. He's figured out the controls, but can't find how to save the
>>game in progress.
>>

>It's saved automatically after each completed level.

OK - now I think I understand. By 'completed level', I assume you
mean that he has to collect everything he needs to collect, jump on
everything he needs to jump on and destroy everything he needs to
destroy (you can tell I don't play this, can't you :-)

He says he's got all the way through the game a few times already, but
I'm beginning to think that his notion of 'getting through' and
'completed level' just *might* not be the same thing.

Cheers,

David Eastwood

Jan 29, 2003, 8:16:30 PM1/29/03
will...@inna.net (John Williams) wrote:

Thanks, John - he's off to try those suggestions now!

Cheers,
David

deKay

Jan 30, 2003, 4:01:52 PM1/30/03
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 30 Jan
2003 01:14:25 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do

uk.games.video.gameboy, yawatina tan reek esk David Eastwood
<eats...@mchsi.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>OK - now I think I understand. By 'completed level', I assume you

>mean that he has to collect everything he needs to collect, jump on
>everything he needs to jump on and destroy everything he needs to
>destroy (you can tell I don't play this, can't you :-)
>
>He says he's got all the way through the game a few times already, but
>I'm beginning to think that his notion of 'getting through' and
>'completed level' just *might* not be the same thing.

When you get to the exit of the level, and go back to the "world map"-ish bit,
then it has saved your progress.

David Eastwood

Jan 30, 2003, 8:08:55 PM1/30/03
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

>>He says he's got all the way through the game a few times already, but
>>I'm beginning to think that his notion of 'getting through' and
>>'completed level' just *might* not be the same thing.
>
>When you get to the exit of the level, and go back to the "world map"-ish bit,
>then it has saved your progress.
>
>deKay

Well, he insists that he's done this, as does his older brother, and
it is not saving. The only conclusion I can come to is that either
they really haven't 'finished' the level, or that our game is faulty.

Thanks,

MKMasta

Feb 3, 2017, 11:24:44 AM2/3/17
It does save, but it doesn't save progress of the Boss Endurance and Meta Knightmare modes. The downsides are that when you load your data, it rips you back to 3 lives as well as all of your points, but with full health. The only thing that is saved for the Boss Endurance(unlockable) and Meta Knightmare(unlockable) modes is the fastest time that mode is beaten.(Which is located at the bottom right corner of the screen.) You don't need to do everything in a stage to save your progress in the Normal and Extra(unlockable) difficulties in the Main Game, you just need to beat a stage. If that still doesn't happen, then your game is a faulty. Hope that made sense to you. Heh, its what I know just by playing that game via emulator, as I don't own a GBA nor a copy of that game, but I do have the ROM and emulator, so I can take screenshots. Oh, and a few other things. Beating Main Game in Normal difficulty unlocks Boss Endurance no matter what, but can also unlock Extra difficulty for 100% Normal difficulty completion. Beating Extra difficulty unlocks Meta Knightmare mode, while 100% on Extra difficulty also ranks you up from "Hero of Lore" to "Super Star" rank. My completion time in Meta Knightmare mode is 1 hour and 3 seconds. Also, the end boss is King Dedede in Meta Knightmare mode, so you don't battle Nightmare in his 2 forms.