N64's Resolution Question

Romeo Garcia

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Jesse Dorland

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 23:21:30 -0700 (PDT), Tek...@webtv.net (Romeo
Garcia) wrote:

>--WebTV-Mail-29346772-9278
>
>I thought the N64 was capable on making a resolution of 640x480? Isn't
>that what they used for Quarter Back Club '99?

Yes, QB Club uses the system's hi-res (640x480) mode, as do several
other games.

>Or was it a lower
>resolution. If you can, it will be really helpful, please list the
>resotuions of the N64, from the lowest to the highest thanx.

I don't think I've ever seen a complete list of the N64's supported
resolutions. System specs usually just say something like "Supports
resolutions from 256x224 to 640x480", but no specifics. I am aware of
several different resolutions, but this list is by no means complete:

256x224 - the lowest resolution; used by Mario 64, Pilotwings, and
possibly others.

320x240 - used by most N64 games.

512x448 (not sure if that's right) - "medium res", used by NHL Breakaway
Hockey, FIFA 98, WWF Warzone, and others.

640x480 - hi-res, used by QB Club 98/99 and All Star Baseball. The
upcoming Madden 99 will run in hi-res, too. Also, Turok 2 and Rogue
Squadron will have an option to run at 640x480, if you have the $30 RAM
upgrade.

-Jesse

Jesse Dorland
jessedorland AT hotmail DOT com

Romeo Garcia

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

First of One

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
High resolution comes at a price. With Turok's level of detail, high-res would make the game unplayably slow without the RAM upgrade. 640x480 requires four times as many pixels to be drawn, so it takes a toll on the Reality Display Processor.

--
First of One, primary adjunctive grid Alpha-01, but you may call me First of One.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my E-mail address to reply.
Romeo Garcia wrote in message <4333-35F...@newsd-173.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
If the N64 could make the games at 640x480? Then how come Turok and
Rouge Squadron has to have the 4MB Upgrade? Can't they just use the
N64's power. Or is more RAM needed for these 2 games?

Your Name Here

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
In article <35f95b3b...@news.primenet.com>,
jessedorlan...@BEFOREMAILINGhotmail.com says...

Nice answer, thanks.

It's a pity about the black borders in QB Club though.
This is present in both the PAL and US versions. Ugh!

Harvey / Zaxxon