The Classics

Howard Shubs

Dec 7, 1992, 11:36:42 AM12/7/92

Dec 7, 1992, 11:56:49 AM12/7/92

Dec 7, 1992, 12:07:54 PM12/7/92

>3) Tempest
>4) Q-Bert
>5) DigDug
>6) Joust
>7) BreakOut

>Howard S Shubs hsh...@eff.org I don't represent the EFF,
>The Denim Adept hsh...@denim.bcs.org but I do agree with them.

Bah Hah!!

1) Star Trek (3D, split screens, neat interface, top score: 1000000+)
(Does a PC version exist???)
2) Tron
3) Tutankhamen
4) Galaga
5) Asteroids Deluxe
6) Qix

Again: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A IBM-PC COMPATIBLE VERSION OF STAR TREK
EXISTS? (One that is like the arcade game of the mid-80's that is...)

Thanks...

AAA

Sanjay Srivastava

Dec 7, 1992, 12:17:23 PM12/7/92
ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE!

I can still play this game for hours on end. It's a classic, and it rocks.
Piece o' crap graphix, cheezy sounds, but hey! it kicks butt. Any other
Adventure freaks out there?

Michael G. Bruce

Dec 7, 1992, 12:13:20 PM12/7/92
In article <1992Dec7.1...@eff.org> hsh...@eff.org (Howard Shubs) writes:
>bu...@bear.com (Buzz Moschetti) writes:
>
>>1. Asteroids
>>2. Stargate
>>3. Battle zone
>
>Hah!
>
>1) Space Invaders
>2) Pong
>3) Tempest
>4) Q-Bert
>5) DigDug
>6) Joust
>7) BreakOut

Very good, but what about Defender? It was incredible not to have to deal
with all those buttons that the arcade game had.

1) Defender
2) Joust
3) Tank -sp? (who could resist all those possible games?)
4) Qix
5) River Rapids -sp? (the game where the Tarzan-like figure saves the girl)

Sorry if my memory is a bit fuzzy, it's been a while.....

-mugsy
--
Michael G. Bruce - mu...@wpi.wpi.edu - Computer Science `94 |
Sun SysAdm In Training - Electrical/Computer Engineering Dept -- + --

Paul Bickford

Dec 7, 1992, 12:33:31 PM12/7/92

Could you be referring to 'Venture? The only ADventure I can remember is the
venerable version for the Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).

Paul
| <include standard disclaimer> | Paul Bickford |
| The opinions/information expressed herein | bick...@jimmy.harvard.edu |
| are Paul Bickford's, and his alone. | p.bic...@leotech.mv.com |
| Dana Farber Cancer Institute | "Ahh...we were just talking about you." |
| division of Biostatistics | "That's refreshing, Jenner -- |
| and Epidemiology | usually you're screaming about us." |
| (617) 732-3610 | _The Secret of NIMH_ |

Ron Dippold

Dec 7, 1992, 1:13:36 PM12/7/92
aabd...@pollux.usc.edu (AAA) writes:
>Again: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A IBM-PC COMPATIBLE VERSION OF STAR TREK
>EXISTS? (One that is like the arcade game of the mid-80's that is...)

In a roundabout way - the apple // emulator for the IBM will run the
Apple // version of arcade Star Trek. It's far, far better than a
Star Trek written at that time for the IBM would have been (CGA, yack).
--
This warning from the New York City Department of Health Fraud: Be suspicious
of any doctor who tries to take your temperature with his finger.

Jacob Cormier

Dec 7, 1992, 2:24:43 PM12/7/92
Hasn't anyone here played Star Wars, the arcade game?!? It's the best! If I
ever see that at an arcade again, I will whip out my credit card and buy it
on the spot! I had a version for my Commidor64, but it was garbage.

Jake Cormier | Poncho Magoo's, the worlds only Irish-Mexican | No, I don't know
en...@caesar.cs.montana.edu | restaurant, located in | what kind of food
ousu...@trex.oscs.montana.edu | scenic Kalispell, Montana | they really serve

Christopher Davis

Dec 7, 1992, 3:01:02 PM12/7/92
PB> == Paul Bickford <bick...@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu>

PB> The only ADventure I can remember is the venerable version for the
PB> Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).

Yeah. Did you ever go into the Credits Room after getting the invisible dot?
--
Christopher K. Davis | ``Usenet seems to run much like the Kif (or,
<c...@eff.org> EFF #14 | for the TV generation, Klingon) high command.

Peter Schaefer

Dec 7, 1992, 3:50:07 PM12/7/92

In article <1g00da...@pollux.usc.edu>, aabd...@pollux.usc.edu (AAA) writes:
|> Bah Hah!!
|>
|> 1) Star Trek (3D, split screens, neat interface, top score: 1000000+)
|> (Does a PC version exist???)
|> 2) Tron
|> 3) Tutankhamen
|> 4) Galaga
|> 5) Asteroids Deluxe
|> 6) Qix
|>
|> Again: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A IBM-PC COMPATIBLE VERSION OF STAR TREK
|> EXISTS? (One that is like the arcade game of the mid-80's that is...)
|>
|> Thanks...
|>
|> AAA

I can't believe nobody has mentioned BERZERK. Anyway, as far as Star Trek is
concerned...have you tried NetTrek yet?
scha...@scf.usc.edu

James R. (Jim Bob) Bill

Dec 7, 1992, 3:02:57 PM12/7/92
How about some more obscure classics?

Pleiades (sp?)
Jack the Giant Killer
Red Baron
Pot O'Gold
Food Fight

Eric Alter

Dec 7, 1992, 2:24:17 PM12/7/92
How about Battlezone? Space Invaders?

James Stanley

Dec 7, 1992, 5:02:42 PM12/7/92
In article <1g0alh...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, jim...@mizar.ucsc.edu (Jam writes...

How about "Freddie Flyer" (?) --hanggliding game

James R. (Jim Bob) Bill

Dec 7, 1992, 5:41:40 PM12/7/92

And how could I have forgotten "Crazy Climber"?

Sanjay Srivastava

Dec 7, 1992, 7:10:34 PM12/7/92
In article <CKD.92De...@loiosh.eff.org> c...@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>PB> == Paul Bickford <bick...@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu>
>
> PB> The only ADventure I can remember is the venerable version for the
> PB> Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).
>
>Yeah. Did you ever go into the Credits Room after getting the invisible dot?
>--
[sig deleted]

I got there once, I think, and I could never figure out how to do
it again. Can anyone out there tell me how to get the dot? (My roommates
and I have an Atari 2600 set up in our room, and we _still_ play it! We
have about thirty or forty games, and it rocks! Heck with N*nt*ndo,
they've gone downhill since Donkey Kong. I wonder how many little kids
today know that "Super Mario Brothers XVII" is based on Donkey Kong?)

THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY

Dec 7, 1992, 7:31:49 PM12/7/92

Anyone remember a game called Targ?

I'm surprised I haven't seen Missile Command mentioned.
I was kickin ass on that game one night (on Atari 2600) and
I must've had several million pts when my brother made me
go to bed. Also on Atari, Megamania. I loved that game. I
remember getting 999,999 pts and the game just stops. The
best Atari games were by Activision (Pitfall, Keystone
Capers, etc.). Good to see this group.

TOMASS

The Heckler

Dec 7, 1992, 9:00:19 PM12/7/92
In article <1g0alh...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU[ jim...@mizar.ucsc.edu (James R. (Jim Bob) Bill) writes:
[How about some more obscure classics?

[
[Pleiades (sp?)
[Jack the Giant Killer
[Red Baron
[Pot O'Gold
[Food Fight

You want obscure? How about:

Akallabeth

The first game Lord British ever wrote. It's Apple II freeware--at least
that's how I encountered it. VERY proto-Ultima series...you see hints
here and there. Wireframe 3d drawings. Love that Carrion Crawler hanging
from the ceiling. My favorite part, though, was using the amulet with a non-
mage character and seeing : You have been turned into a toad! but if you
played with it long enough, you'd turn into a lizard man with disgusting stats.
I once had 3500+ hitpoints, stats in the 70's. Went around bashing everything.
Kool.

Or how about Stellar 7? Also Apple II. Very similar to Arcticfox for the
IBM. Great 3d tank games.

Paul Echeverri
aka the heckler

--
Paul Echeverri | PGP key | Smile! Cthulhu loathes you! This .sig

Chris Horner

Dec 7, 1992, 8:52:37 PM12/7/92
In article <1g0alh...@darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, jim...@mizar.ucsc.edu (James R. (Jim Bob) Bill) writes:
|>How about some more obscure classics?
|>
|>Red Baron
|>Food Fight

These 2 were truly the best arcade games I ever played. Does anybody out
there know where I could purchase either of these?

Or how about:
Frogger
Marble Madness

I think the classic games were the most innovative ones. Isn't it a
shame that recent arcade games are all of the generic "walk down the street
and beat people up" theme?

tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

Dec 7, 1992, 8:57:01 PM12/7/92
I used to have that for the Mac. It's is pretty decent. No voices although.
Mouse control is not just like that Star Wars joystick. Just loved that game.

Ben Scott

Dec 7, 1992, 10:12:22 PM12/7/92
In article <1992Dec7.1...@eff.org> hsh...@eff.org (Howard Shubs) writes:
>bu...@bear.com (Buzz Moschetti) writes:
>>1. Asteroids

Ahhh... I spent YEARS at this game... got so I could play as long as my
fingers held out on a quarter...

>6) Joust

Ahhhh! This is probably my favorite arcade game ever. The trigger finger I
developed at Asteroids helped a lot...

I remember a couple years ago, they put Joust in the college dorm I was
living in. I probably spent $50 a month on it until they moved it to
another dorm... then a little less since it required a walk.

I'm fortunate to live in Denver where there's a large bowling alley/arcade
which has hundreds of games - MANY of them classics. They have two Jousts;
pretty much every other classic game you can name. Alpine Ski, Star Castle,
Lunar Lander... you name it. Even a positively ancient Fire Engine (or Fire
Truck? It was a sit-down game with a place for someone to stand behind and
steer the ladder...) They also have newer games, of course.

Does anyone out there remember Moon Cresta?

. <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bsc...@nyx.cs.du.edu, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-6208.|

Ron Dippold

Dec 7, 1992, 10:55:40 PM12/7/92
pech...@phakt.usc.edu (The Heckler) writes:
>You want obscure? How about:
>Akallabeth
>The first game Lord British ever wrote. It's Apple II freeware--at least

Alkabeth - I've got it right here.
--
Auditors always reject expense accounts with a bottom line divisible by five.

Don Hopkins

Dec 8, 1992, 12:23:20 AM12/8/92
en...@cs.montana.edu (Jacob Cormier) writes:

Hasn't anyone here played Star Wars, the arcade game?!? It's the
best! If I ever see that at an arcade again, I will whip out my
credit card and buy it on the spot! I had a version for my
Commidor64, but it was garbage.

My housemate brought home a Star Wars machine one day, and it became
an important part of our lives. A very well designed game! After you
blow up the Death Star, there's just enough time for bong hit.

-Don

Jim Foster

Dec 7, 1992, 9:47:27 AM12/7/92
In article <BUZZ.92D...@lion.bear.com>, bu...@bear.com (Buzz Moschetti)
says:

>1. Asteroids
>2. Stargate
>3. Battle zone
4. Centipede

Howard Shubs

Dec 8, 1992, 1:28:54 AM12/8/92
jim...@mizar.ucsc.edu (James R. (Jim Bob) Bill) writes:

>And how could I have forgotten "Crazy Climber"?

"GO FOR IT!" Good game!

Lunatic Johnathan Bruce E'Sex

Dec 8, 1992, 1:17:44 AM12/8/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@news.acns.nwu.edu> ss...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Sanjay Srivastava) writes:
>In article <CKD.92De...@loiosh.eff.org> c...@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>>PB> == Paul Bickford <bick...@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu>
>>
>> PB> The only ADventure I can remember is the venerable version for the
>> PB> Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).
>>
>>Yeah. Did you ever go into the Credits Room after getting the invisible dot?
>
> I got there once, I think, and I could never figure out how to do
>it again. Can anyone out there tell me how to get the dot?

_
(_,et the "bridge" (thing that looks like this: ] [) and go up
into the blue maze. Keep putting the bridge across walls until you
find the one that has an empty space in it (When you enter the maze,
go to the left. The wall with the space in it should be just to the
lower left of center in the screen that's over one or two from the
entrance screen.). You'll find the magic dot in that wall space.
___
|his is all from memory, and it's been years and years since I
played that game, so I may be a little off.

/ -= Lunatic Johnathan Bruce E'Sex (: /
/ lun...@netcom.com GEnie: LUNATIC CI$: 76170,672 /
/______________________________________________________/

Elf Sternberg

Dec 8, 1992, 2:30:11 AM12/8/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@news.media.mit.edu>
hor...@media-lab.mit.edu (Chris Horner) writes:

>Or how about:

>Marble Madness
>
>I think the classic games were the most innovative ones. Isn't it a
>shame that recent arcade games are all of the generic "walk down the street
>and beat people up" theme?

Actually, I was rather pleased with the discovery of Klax and
B.O.T.S. (which, admittedly, is pretty much a "walk down the street and
beat robots up" kinda game, but at least it was well done.). But, to
be honest, I've resorted to pinball for the moment.

My favorite game of all time was Defender. How favorite?

November, 1982. Steven Jurazek, with a high score of 15,963,375,
makes the cover of Time Magazine for having "The recognized highest
score ever on the hardest video game ever made." His game lasted 16
hours, 4 minutes.

May, 1983. Elf Sternberg (that's me) breaks Jurazek's score with a
record high of 39,999,975, after 40 hours and 16 minutes of play.

June, 1983. The standing world record is set by George Erwin Mesi
at 71,999,975 after a game session lasting 72 hours and 41 minutes.

I never could get the hand of Stargate; Defender was pure video
game; Stargate was full of these things that were designed to get in
your way, and in the end they seemed to detract from the value of the
game.

But it shows just how rabid I was about the game that I remember
everyone involved. Hell, when I learned the writer of Defender was
going to be in town I went out of my way to meet Mr. Eugene Jarvis.

How about:

Black Widow (Atari's Robotron rip-off, and fun in its own right?)
Star Castle (shoot at the citadel while avoiding the nasties)
Tail Gunner (Best Video Game Ever Made, IMHO)

My wife is especially fond of Gyruss. And Joust.

Not quite so old, but still in my 'favorite' category:

Gauntlet (10 hours on ONE quarter! With Wizard, of course!)
A.P.B.

And, questions: Does anyone remeber these video games? One was a
an advanced version of Break-Out, made by Atari, I recall, that
featured four castles, one in each corner, and you had to knock through
the walls to kill the castle. The object was to be the last one
standing...

And, a game that featured a citidel in the center, and you had four
buttons, one for each of the four cardinal points of the citadel.
Rocks would come at you from the sides of the screen and you had to hit
your guns fast to kill them. "Simon" players already had an edge on
others... :-)

I'm really surpised nobody had mentioned "Space Wars." With the
black hole and everything... sluuurrp. A game where you could set you
own options! How radical! How innovative! How... odd... that you
don't see it much anymore.

There's a *wonderful* reproduction of Space Invaders for the Amiga,
and as we were playing it one night, my friend remarked that, in the
original version, the remaining ships sped up when you killed one
because the processor had less to do. On the Amiga, that effect had be
to created artificially with timing interrupts. And we were playing
WHILE my telecommunications program was downloading stuff in the
background... without error.

QIX! How could I forget QIX! The Picasso of video games... and
acquired taste, but addictive once it had you.

On the theme of Paint: Make Trax. A poor Williams machine that they
bought from a Japanese firm.

Spy Hunter! How could I forget? I just played it the other day...

Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Blasteroids, and that Space War version
where you could mate ships... never could remember it. The vector
games (Blateroids was a raster) were collectively called "The Lawrence
Welk Games... the Games with Bubbles!"

Speaking of vector games... Lunar Lander, the first game with an
honest-to-god Zoom function. Another vector game I liked was Omega
Race, but I never could play it.

Oh, God, I remember playing Football for hours with my sister.
Remember those HUGE trackballs? Roll, roll, rollreallyfast!

Gorf! Five lousy games, and yet... it was still fun to play.

I, Robot... that was a favorite of mine for a while.

"I hunger... for I am Sinistar!" :-) Remember him? Another Eugene
Jarvis game, the writer of Defender and Robotron.

Marble Madness was best when played on the BIG stand-alone with the
HUGE speakers turned ALL the way up. Same was true for Defender.

Could anyone actually beat Xevious? Could anyone really play
Xybots? Has anyone ever seen a working copy of Xenophobe?

Space Ace was way cooler than Dragon's Lair. Cliff Hanger was cute
when the heroine's panties showed... I was young then.

Moon Patrol! Qbert! Rampage! They had nothing in common!

Why did you use a spaceship to shoot the Devil in Satan's Hollow?

I've actually played Computer Space. 1972. Nolan Bushnell. The
first video game. Speaking of dear 'ol Nolan, is anyone else here old
enough to remember playing Pong? The original, in-cabinet version?

Crazy Climber! Remember that, with the flowerpots? I think
Elevator Action with the spy music and the goin' through the maze was a
sequel or someting...

Star Wars was, needless to say, awesome. But games based on other
themes didn't fare so well. Krull and Journey come to mind.

Robotron was another cool favorite of mine. We used to call the
'wave nineteens' the Who Concert Wave, because the object was to run
over as many of the crowd as possible...

Let's see... memory lane. Major Havok. Zaxxon. Tutankham... damn,
I hated the fact that you couldn't shoot up or down!

Boy, I feel like an old fart now. You've made me dig up my
childhood, you evil video gamers you...

Elf !!!
--
Elf Sternberg. (e...@halcyon.com)
Due to a bureaucratic error, you are offered the job of county coroner.

|Joe Vigneau|

Dec 8, 1992, 9:01:38 AM12/8/92
In e...@halcyon.com's msg of Tue, 8 Dec 1992 7:30 GMT, Elf writes:

. Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Blasteroids, and that Space War version
.where you could mate ships... never could remember it. The vector
.games (Blateroids was a raster) were collectively called "The Lawrence
.Welk Games... the Games with Bubbles!"

That game was called 'Space Duel'. I'm 17, and that was the first video game
I ever played. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Space Invaders? That was (and
still is) such a great game! It caused a national craze over in Japan!
The noise it made when you fired your cannon was SO pleasing...
--
jvig...@cs.ulowell.edu-<All opinions are mine, not UMassLowell's>-Joe Vigneau

David A. Mattingly

Dec 8, 1992, 10:19:48 AM12/8/92
Elf writes:
> Gauntlet (10 hours on ONE quarter! With Wizard, of course!)

Hah! The best part of gauntlet was that it divided your score by your
quarters. I always liked the warrior the best... He was so underestimated.

I once played the warrior for 4 1/2 hours (had to go to class) on a quarter.
It was the highest warrior score I'd ever seen.

--
Dave Mattingly "Who's gonna teach me peace and happiness?"
dama...@ulkyvx.ct.louisville.edu "I was an innocent, now I'm magnificent."

Ron Dippold

Dec 8, 1992, 12:03:08 PM12/8/92
e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:
> And, questions: Does anyone remeber these video games? One was a
>an advanced version of Break-Out, made by Atari, I recall, that
>featured four castles, one in each corner, and you had to knock through
>the walls to kill the castle. The object was to be the last one
>standing...

Warlords. This was way cool - fireballs shot around the place
knocking out pieces of your walls. You could grab it with your
paddle, charge it up with extra energy, then let fly at your opponents
(who looked suspiciously like Darth Vader). When you killed an
opponent, another fireball joined the fray.

> And, a game that featured a citidel in the center, and you had four
>buttons, one for each of the four cardinal points of the citadel.
>Rocks would come at you from the sides of the screen and you had to hit
>your guns fast to kill them. "Simon" players already had an edge on
>others... :-)

There were actually a couple versions of this... And tons of versions
for all the computers of the time, mainly because it was so damned
easy to write. The very best version, however, was Genetic Drift for
the Apple, which actually changed it enough to make it quite a bit
more interesting.

> I've actually played Computer Space. 1972. Nolan Bushnell. The
>first video game. Speaking of dear 'ol Nolan, is anyone else here old
>enough to remember playing Pong? The original, in-cabinet version?

Yup. Visions of strange-haircutted losers wearing polyester and bell
bottoms (okay, loser is redundant here) at the local pizza place...
--
Quote for today: "

MALONE MATTHEW JAMES

Dec 8, 1992, 12:43:16 PM12/8/92
How about Qix? Does anyone know of a GOOD copy IE true to the original
arcade game for MSDOS/OS2. Qualities that are missing from newer
computer game versions I have seen are:
1) Going both ways on a cross (on some)
2) Trapping sparks in double boxes
3) Trapping sparks on certain enclosed crosses
4) Computer clock driven so that it doesn't go at warp 10
on a 486
Any other complains or suggestions?

Matt

Howard Shubs

Dec 8, 1992, 1:15:21 PM12/8/92
e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:

> May, 1983. Elf Sternberg (that's me) breaks Jurazek's score with a
>record high of 39,999,975, after 40 hours and 16 minutes of play.

Well Elf, you seem to have acquired a life since then! Congrats! <grin>

> I never could get the hand of Stargate; Defender was pure video
>game; Stargate was full of these things that were designed to get in
>your way, and in the end they seemed to detract from the value of the
>game.

I conquered Defender on an Atari 5200, but I only played it for 4 hours
or so. I figured out that I got about a million points per hour.

> How about:

> Black Widow (Atari's Robotron rip-off, and fun in its own right?)

I liked BW.

> My wife is especially fond of Gyruss. And Joust.

Poke that pterodactyl in the mouth! Do it!

> Not quite so old, but still in my 'favorite' category:

> Gauntlet (10 hours on ONE quarter! With Wizard, of course!)

The cheapest way to play this game, IMHO, is to buy one.

> A.P.B.

That game was hilarious.

> I'm really surpised nobody had mentioned "Space Wars." With the
>black hole and everything... sluuurrp. A game where you could set you
>own options! How radical! How innovative! How... odd... that you
>don't see it much anymore.

Actually, Space Wars was the first video game. It was originally written
for a PDP-1 at MIT in the early 1960s.

> QIX! How could I forget QIX! The Picasso of video games... and
>acquired taste, but addictive once it had you.

Darn straight!

> "I hunger... for I am Sinistar!" :-) Remember him? Another Eugene
>Jarvis game, the writer of Defender and Robotron.

I've not seen one of -those- for... ages!

> I've actually played Computer Space. 1972. Nolan Bushnell. The
>first video game. Speaking of dear 'ol Nolan, is anyone else here old
>enough to remember playing Pong? The original, in-cabinet version?

Sorry, no. See my comment about Space War above. I smell an r-war
coming.

> Crazy Climber! Remember that, with the flowerpots? I think
>Elevator Action with the spy music and the goin' through the maze was a
>sequel or someting...

Crazy Climber: GO FOR IT!

I remember Elevator Action. That was a neat game, IMHO.

> Boy, I feel like an old fart now. You've made me dig up my
>childhood, you evil video gamers you...

Join the club. I came back to this place after 5 years in the Real World(tm)
and I'm one of the oldest non-faculty here.

tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

Dec 8, 1992, 11:29:23 AM12/8/92
Fire Engine. Oh how I remember the good ol' day. I was only like 7 or 8 that time
and could hardly drive anything! If I could get a hand on that game now, I could last
pretty far.

tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

Dec 8, 1992, 11:45:12 AM12/8/92
I have recalled a football game where you select a play and a CD-ROM recording
shows the result of the play. Remember that?

tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

Dec 8, 1992, 11:35:54 AM12/8/92
What is the bong hit in Star Wars?

Jerry Jeremiah 290-8941

Dec 7, 1992, 10:06:20 PM12/7/92
In article <1g01tb...@early-bird.think.com> bick...@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu (Paul Bickford) writes:
>In article <1992Dec7.1...@news.acns.nwu.edu> ss...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Sanjay Srivastava) writes:
>>ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE! ADVENTURE!
>>
>>I can still play this game for hours on end. It's a classic, and it rocks.
>>Piece o' crap graphix, cheezy sounds, but hey! it kicks butt. Any other
>>Adventure freaks out there?
>>

>Could you be referring to 'Venture? The only ADventure I can remember is the
>venerable version for the Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).
>
>Paul

So does anyone know where I can get an Adventure game for my atari 2600
(I've looked and looked, but all in vain...)

>>Jerry

Mike Percy

Dec 8, 1992, 2:06:43 PM12/8/92
dama...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (David A. Mattingly) writes:

>Elf writes:
>> Gauntlet (10 hours on ONE quarter! With Wizard, of course!)

>Hah! The best part of gauntlet was that it divided your score by your
>quarters. I always liked the warrior the best... He was so underestimated.

>I once played the warrior for 4 1/2 hours (had to go to class) on a quarter.
>It was the highest warrior score I'd ever seen.

My friend Steve and I would play a Wizard/Warrior pair. Our local bar
had a summer special where pitchers of beer cost 25 cents at noon, 50
cents at 1, 75 cents at 2, and so on. We'd come in after our morning
classes, drop our quarter (each) and play until we were too drunk or
just plain got tired. We'd manage to get to a "safe" position where one
player would be killing a bunch of crap from a safe vantage point, and
then could manuever the two figures to the next such spot -- while the
other player ran off the take a leak or get another pitcher... Once in
awhile, if you'd accidently shot a food/drink in the high levels, we'd
actually have to drop in a second (gasp) quarter. Then there was our
friend Ron...

Mike Percy | gri...@hubcap.clemson.edu | I don't know about
Sr. Systems Analyst | msp...@clemson.clemson.edu | your brain, but mine
Info. Sys. Development | msp...@clemson.BITNET | is really...bossy.
Clemson University | (803) 656-3780 | (Laurie Anderson)

David Gebhard

Dec 8, 1992, 3:33:52 PM12/8/92
hsh...@eff.org (Howard Shubs) writes:

>jim...@mizar.ucsc.edu (James R. (Jim Bob) Bill) writes:

>>And how could I have forgotten "Crazy Climber"?

>"GO FOR IT!" Good game!
I loved Crazy Climber. The machine I used to play on would go crazy
and throw everything at you if you could get past a building
without losing a man. I hated that. Unfortunately, the arcade
burned down.
I also loved Wizard of Wor, and of course Zaxxon. And
Donkey Kong Jr., and too many others to mention.

Richard Stueven

Dec 8, 1992, 4:24:22 PM12/8/92
In article 13...@nwnexus.WA.COM, e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:
> My favorite game of all time was Defender. How favorite?

WAY too many buttons! (And Stargate was even worse...)

> May, 1983. Elf Sternberg (that's me) breaks Jurazek's score with a
>record high of 39,999,975, after 40 hours and 16 minutes of play.

Impressive!

> I'm really surpised nobody had mentioned "Space Wars." With the
>black hole and everything... sluuurrp. A game where you could set you
>own options! How radical! How innovative! How... odd... that you
>don't see it much anymore.

Space Wars was cool! You could even turn the black hole into a white
hole (of sorts) by using the "negative gravity" option.

> QIX! How could I forget QIX! The Picasso of video games... and
>acquired taste, but addictive once it had you.

I could never get the hang of this one...

> Speaking of vector games... Lunar Lander, the first game with an
>honest-to-god Zoom function. Another vector game I liked was Omega
>Race, but I never could play it.

Likewise on both counts.

> Oh, God, I remember playing Football for hours with my sister.
>Remember those HUGE trackballs? Roll, roll, rollreallyfast!

And smash your fingers!

> Gorf! Five lousy games, and yet... it was still fun to play.

Great fun! I remember being pretty good at it, but I can't remember
what a good score was...

> ...is anyone else here old

enough to remember playing Pong? The original, in-cabinet version?

Yes! And remember how cool it was when Atari made the home version?
WOW! You can play video games ON YOUR OWN TV!

> Crazy Climber! Remember that, with the flowerpots? I think
>Elevator Action with the spy music and the goin' through the maze was a
>sequel or someting...

Kind of fun, as a change from the other games...

> Star Wars was, needless to say, awesome.

Way awesome.

> Robotron was another cool favorite of mine. We used to call the
>'wave nineteens' the Who Concert Wave, because the object was to run
>over as many of the crowd as possible...

THE BEST!

> Let's see... memory lane. Major Havok. Zaxxon. Tutankham... damn,
>I hated the fact that you couldn't shoot up or down!

Zaxxon was tough. I could never get the hang of their 3D perspective.

> Boy, I feel like an old fart now.

You and me both, pal...

---
Richard Stueven AHA# 22584 |----------|
Internet: g...@wrs.com |----GO----| Disclaimer: I'm not allowed to
ATTMAIL: ...!attmail!gakhaus!gak |---SHARX--| have opinions.
Cow Palace: 107/H/3-4 |----------|

Richard Stueven

Dec 8, 1992, 4:31:28 PM12/8/92
In (an earlier article), (someone) wrote (something like) "In Star
Wars, after you blew up the Death Star, there was just enough time for
a bong hit."

In article 75...@ultb.isc.rit.edu, tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu () writes:
>What is the bong hit in Star Wars?

Heh, heh. :-)

gak

---
Richard Stueven g...@wrs.com attmail!gakhaus!gak 107/H/3&4

I'm always more outspoken after a few pints of Guinness.

Eric H. Taylor

Dec 8, 1992, 4:00:05 PM12/8/92
In article <1992Dec7.1...@coe.montana.edu> en...@cs.montana.edu (Jacob Cormier) writes:
>Hasn't anyone here played Star Wars, the arcade game?!? It's the best! If I
>ever see that at an arcade again, I will whip out my credit card and buy it
>on the spot! I had a version for my Commidor64, but it was garbage.

Yes, I play Star Wars every time I see it. There are two machines over
at Celebrity Sports (in Denver). I regularly score a little over a million.

Two Questions:

On approaching the Death Star, there is some text printed on it. It
flies by so fast, and the screens are degraded enough so that I cant
read the second message. The first message is "Use the Force". Anyone
know what the messages are, and how many there are?

When flying thru the canyon, on the way to the exhaust port, we hear
Obi-Wan's voice say "Use the Force, Luke". One time, when I was watching
another player, he did *something* and the machine game him a huge bonus
for "using the Force". Somehow, I didn't ask him how to "use the Force".
There are always some mega scores (>10million) on the machines, but
I've never again seen a player "use the Force". So how is it done?

Please send me e-mail, since I get the feeling that I won't be able
to keep up with this group...

Thanks in advance,

----
ET "A carpal tunnel synonym a day, is worth two in the bush"
----

Richard Stueven

Dec 8, 1992, 5:12:40 PM12/8/92
In article 2...@csn.org, e...@teal.csn.org (Eric H. Taylor) writes:

>Yes, I play Star Wars every time I see it. There are two machines over
>at Celebrity Sports (in Denver). I regularly score a little over a million.

Not bad...

>Two Questions:
>
>On approaching the Death Star, there is some text printed on it. It
>flies by so fast, and the screens are degraded enough so that I cant
>read the second message. The first message is "Use the Force". Anyone
>know what the messages are, and how many there are?

I've played Star Wars eight or nine million times, and I've never seen
any text on the Death Star! Maybe it's a different software revision?

>There are always some mega scores (>10million) on the machines, but
>I've never again seen a player "use the Force". So how is it done?

Don't pull the trigger while you're flying through the trench. Dodge
the barriers, and dodge the missiles, but DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER until
it's time to launch your bombs.

---
Richard Stueven g...@wrs.com attmail!gakhaus!gak 107/H/3&4

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered
considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more
destructive of respect for the government and the law of the
land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open
secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is
closely connected with this.
-- Albert Einstein, "My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921

Alexx S Kay

Dec 8, 1992, 5:06:14 PM12/8/92
e...@teal.csn.org (Eric H. Taylor) writes:

>When flying thru the canyon, on the way to the exhaust port, we hear
>Obi-Wan's voice say "Use the Force, Luke". One time, when I was watching
>another player, he did *something* and the machine game him a huge bonus
>for "using the Force". Somehow, I didn't ask him how to "use the Force".
>There are always some mega scores (>10million) on the machines, but
>I've never again seen a player "use the Force". So how is it done?

If you do the trench without *ever* firing your guns until that one,
crucial shot down the exhaust port, you get a sizable point bonus, and
Darth sez "The Force is strong in this one..." On the upper levels,
with staggered almost-solid walls with gunports behind each opening,
this is very difficult to do, but it can be done, and it can even be
done without taking damage...

Alexx

Al...@world.std.com
"Vhat? You didn't know know I was Jewish? And Gypsy? And Rumanian? And
German French, Scottish... the women in my family never saw invading
armies - Just Fresh Blood."
-- Donna Barr

have clue, will travel

Dec 8, 1992, 4:28:58 PM12/8/92

Okay, who else remembers...

Kram (Has ANYONE else ever seen this game? It was GREAT...)

Darwin 4096 (Space combat, evolving ships, Twin Cobra-ish)

The Last Apostle (In Puppet-Mation: SF-style combat, gorgeous visual effects)

Space Firebird (Galaxian with a liftoff effect...)

Zarzon (your basic shoot 'em up, late 70s)

or, (really scraping the bottom) Space Tactics? (Sega's first stinker)

They're in the KLOV already -- I just wanna see who else knew 'em.

--
jec...@eos.ncsu.edu : have clue, will travel.
It's time to see the world / It's time to kiss the girl

Ken B Kirksey

Dec 8, 1992, 6:23:40 PM12/8/92
List of Classics:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of my all time favorites:
TailGunner II. I spent hours on this one.

Does anyone remember the name of a game that was a sit down star battle
type thing? I know it was made by Exidy, and the ships you shot at looked
remarkably like TIE fighters from star wars. Any ideas?

Ken

+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Ken Kirksey | "A man cannot be too careful in his choice |
| kkir...@world.std.com | of enemies." |
| The World, Brookline, MA | - Oscar Wilde |

--
+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Ken Kirksey | "A man cannot be too careful in his choice |
| kkir...@world.std.com | of enemies." |
| The World, Brookline, MA | - Oscar Wilde |

Richard Stueven

Dec 8, 1992, 7:54:31 PM12/8/92
In article J...@world.std.com, kkir...@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey) writes:

>Does anyone remember the name of a game that was a sit down star battle
>type thing? I know it was made by Exidy, and the ships you shot at looked
>remarkably like TIE fighters from star wars. Any ideas?

I used to play this all the time...I think it was called "Starfire",
but somehow that doesn't sound right.

gak

---
Richard Stueven AHA# 22584 |----------| I thought a lot about the last
Internet: g...@wrs.com |----GO----| game, and I thought I must beat
ATTMAIL: ...!attmail!gakhaus!gak |---SHARX--| them this time. I thought I must
Cow Palace: 107/H/3-4 |----------| be like a wall and not let them
score. - Arturs Irbe

FIELDS, SCOTT CRISTOPHER

Dec 8, 1992, 8:25:00 PM12/8/92
In article <BUZZ.92D...@lion.bear.com>, bu...@bear.com (Buzz Moschetti) writes...

>1. Asteroids
>2. Stargate
>3. Battle zone

1. Battle Zone
2. Red Barron
3. Asteroids

Darren Cokin

Dec 8, 1992, 8:45:11 PM12/8/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@nwnexus.WA.COM> e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:

> May, 1983. Elf Sternberg (that's me) breaks Jurazek's score with a
>record high of 39,999,975, after 40 hours and 16 minutes of play.

Pardom me, I'm a just a little curious about the logistics of this. I don't
recall video games having a pause control. So your standing at a machine
for nearly 2 days. Did you like have someone bring you a bucket to piss in or
what?

> And, questions: Does anyone remeber these video games? One was a
>an advanced version of Break-Out, made by Atari, I recall, that
>featured four castles, one in each corner, and you had to knock through
>the walls to kill the castle. The object was to be the last one
>standing...

WARLORDS! Great game for the 2600. You played it with the paddles, great fun
if you had four people. Me and my cousins would have competitions durring
all borring family holidays and such. God, I still remeber the computer
player in the lower left corner was an idiot, and if you were the guy above
him you could kill him by just not moving and letting the ball bounce back and
forth. Man, that was at least 12 years ago. Havn't even thought about it
in years. Weird the things you remember....

> I've actually played Computer Space. 1972. Nolan Bushnell. The
> first video game.

I believe Space War was the first video game. It was played on the first
PDP's in the 50's. I don't know what a PDP is, but they were mentioned on
a long thread about Space War a few months back on comp.sys.mac.games. The
thread started after the request for a mac version. There is one, called
SpaceTag, and I posted it to sumex-aim.stanford.edu, the biggest mac ftp site.

Darren

Il Hyung Cho

Dec 8, 1992, 9:16:54 PM12/8/92

O.k. I've got the one...

Wizardry I, II & III

Remember the cheat to Wizardry?

Those were the days...

Il Hyung Cho
a.k.a. The Byter
LORAL - Western Development Labs
Internet: c...@wdl1.wdl.loral.com

Jerry Penner

Dec 8, 1992, 9:31:23 PM12/8/92
tpha...@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY) writes:

>Anyone remember a game called Targ?

Yup. That game played a really simple and loud noise during its
attract mode, which is why I remember it. I also played it a few
times, but never got too good at it.

--
Jerry Penner jpe...@ee.ualberta.ca Try a 1-line .sig today.

Michael Malak

Dec 8, 1992, 10:37:41 PM12/8/92
In article <ByyoD...@wrs.com> g...@wrs.com writes:

>I've played Star Wars eight or nine million times, and I've never seen
>any text on the Death Star! Maybe it's a different software revision?

The text is written at a lower intensity, and more than half the time
the arcade operator does not have the guns turned up brightly enough. I
guess they're just trying to preserve the monitor, because they're
plainly visible at standard calibration.

Michael Malak

Dec 8, 1992, 10:34:41 PM12/8/92
In article <ByyL0...@csn.org> e...@teal.csn.org (Eric H. Taylor) writes:

>Yes, I play Star Wars every time I see it. There are two machines over
>at Celebrity Sports (in Denver). I regularly score a little over a million.
>
>Two Questions:
>
>On approaching the Death Star, there is some text printed on it. It
>flies by so fast, and the screens are degraded enough so that I cant
>read the second message. The first message is "Use the Force". Anyone
>know what the messages are, and how many there are?

On odd numbered waves it's "May the Force be With You".
On even numbered waves it looks like some names. I've never caught any
of the ones on the southern hemisphere and I _own_ a Star Wars machine.
The most visible one, the one in the middle of the northern hemisphere,
is something like "Wally".

>When flying thru the canyon, on the way to the exhaust port, we hear
>Obi-Wan's voice say "Use the Force, Luke". One time, when I was watching
>another player, he did *something* and the machine game him a huge bonus
>for "using the Force". Somehow, I didn't ask him how to "use the Force".
>There are always some mega scores (>10million) on the machines, but
>I've never again seen a player "use the Force". So how is it done?

You don't fire until you get to the exhaust port.

have clue, will travel

Dec 8, 1992, 9:08:23 PM12/8/92

scf...@rigel.tamu.edu (FIELDS, SCOTT CRISTOPHER) writes:
>In article <BUZZ.92D...@lion.bear.com>, bu...@bear.com (Buzz Moschetti)
>writes...
>>1. Asteroids
>>2. Stargate
>>3. Battle zone

>1. Battle Zone
>2. Red Baron
>3. Asteroids

1. Darius (Taito)
2. Blaster (Williams)
3. Bubble Bobble (Taito) / Sinistar (Williams)

just call me jump-on-the-bandwagon-man... ;)

THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY

Dec 8, 1992, 10:23:17 PM12/8/92

>O.k. I've got the one...
>
>Wizardry I, II & III
>
>Remember the cheat to Wizardry?
>
>Those were the days...

As I stated earlier, Wizardry is the best.
But I never had my own copy (well, I had
Wizardry V for my own, beat it thank-you
vey much). Wasn't the Wizardry I cheat
something like have a bishop try to
identify things that he didn't have (ie;
hit letters instead of numbers when
prompted to select item to be identified)?
My friend did this and it gave him some
ungodly amount of gold. We gave it all to
one guy named Tax/Loan Slug (don't ask, we
were just weird kids) and never ran out.
Good thing they never took encumbrence into
account.
By the way, the people at Sir-Tech are
really cool. I sent them a couple of letters
telling them how much I dug Wizardry. I got
free stuff in the mail! Let's see, I got a
hat, a keychain, and a bunch of stickers
that I bet I still have. Nice people.

TOMASS

Patrick Calahan

Dec 9, 1992, 2:38:21 AM12/9/92
In article <Byyrn...@world.std.com>, kkir...@world.std.com (Ken B
Kirksey) wrote:

> Does anyone remember the name of a game that was a sit down star battle
> type thing? I know it was made by Exidy, and the ships you shot at looked
> remarkably like TIE fighters from star wars. Any ideas?

Seem to recall that that one was called 'Star Fire' - groovy game.

How 'bout these for obscurity:

Fantasy - lotsa fun - multiple stages/play mechanics

Naughty Boy (I think that was the name) - really wierd game with kid
throwing rocks at things

Sean Gugler

Dec 9, 1992, 5:06:52 AM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>I used to have it for the Mac. It's is pretty decent. No voices although.
>Mouse control is not just like that Star Wars joystick. Just loved that game.

I'd swear I saw a version for the Mac with voices and all. I agree about
the controller, though. Not quite as responsive, though better than the
analog joysticks of DOS machines.

- Sean
--
Sean Gugler gugle...@cs.yale.edu <-- Internet
P.O. Box 1902 Yale Station gugseap@yalevm <-- Bitnet

Sean Gugler

Dec 9, 1992, 5:41:33 AM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@nwnexus.WA.COM> e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:
> And, a game that featured a citidel in the center, and you had four
>buttons, one for each of the four cardinal points of the citadel.
>Rocks would come at you from the sides of the screen and you had to hit
>your guns fast to kill them. "Simon" players already had an edge on
>others... :-)

Vintage Apple ][ version was called "Outpost".

Ah, the memories! There was Star Clones, which featured four Star
Wars-themed "events": landspeeder jumps (like the old motorcycle
games), asteroid-dodging in the Millenium Falcon, snow-walker shooting
in a snowspeeder, and simple stormtrooper pelting from a fixed-point
rotating gun at the bottom of the screen, much like ...

... Sabotage! What a classic! One guy got so into this game during
lunch hour on the school computer, he kicked the plug on himself. It
was a perfect patience tester: how many minutes can you play before
abandoning the scoring system and reaching for the repeat key
(remember those)?

Sean Gugler

Dec 9, 1992, 6:29:06 AM12/9/92
In article <cho-0812...@260-3r-mac4a.wdl.loral.com> c...@wdl1.wdl.loral.com (Il Hyung Cho) writes:
>O.k. I've got the one...
>
>Wizardry I, II & III
>
>Remember the cheat to Wizardry?

I know of one. A classmate was really into Pascal programming on the
Apple ][. I thought he was silly, when Basic was readily available.
I learned otherwise years later when I learned Pascal myself. But I
again reversed my respect for his preference when I examined the Apple
Pascal system myself and saw how slow and clumsy it was. But I
digress ...

He spent so much time programming in that environment, the break
combination (ctrl-esc-something-or-other) became second-nature, much
as the three-fingered-salute of Ctrl-Alt-Del has for me on my
oh-so-unstable DOS box.

If you haven't guessed by now, he got so frustrated with Wizardry I
one day, having lost a battle for the umpteenth time, he reflexively
slammed in the break combination, and lo and behold, was greeted with
a Pascal prompt. We discovered many things about the internals of
Wizardry that day, most notably the reason it always ran so slowly.
:-)

James Grove

Dec 9, 1992, 6:46:58 AM12/9/92
I believe the Wizardry cheat mentioned was having a bishop enter
the maze and "Identify" item 9.

Since characters could only carry 8 items this would seem to be a
problem....

What would happen, however, was that as soon as the bishop was successful
in his efforts to identify, he would immediately have
--> 1,000,000,000 <-- (read: One-Billion)
experience points!

Offhand I can't remember exactly what level this would promote him
to, but I believe it was about level 250. And he would have about
1500 hit points.

This was, of course, presuming you had the patience to go to the stupid
Inn 250 times in a row....

---James Grove
jgr...@xenon.stanford.edu

Jason McIntosh

Dec 9, 1992, 12:58:15 AM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec8.1...@ultb.isc.rit.edu>, tjg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
says:

>Fire Engine. Oh how I remember the good ol' day. I was only like 7 or 8 that
>time
>and could hardly drive anything! If I could get a hand on that game now, I
>could last
>pretty far.

Hee hee! Was that the black and white game where one person could steer the fro
nt of the truck and another controlled the back, or something weird like that?
For some reason, I never saw anyone do well at that game, just steer around
wildly and smash into things.
Of course, they were all my age at the time, was was 6 or 7. And I was fright-
ened of video games at the time, so i'd never play it....
Ah yes, what a neat group this is. I've often said to others truthfully that
if a lot of money blew my way, one of the first things i'd do with it would
be to open up an arcade here of classic video games. Advertise the heck out
of it, too. Bring some honor back into innovative gaming. hee.
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
_ _
:\\_-_--/: Jason McIntosh -- University o' Maine
(c\\ \ /) io1...@maine.maine.edu
/ g g Student, hack journalist, subhack cartoonist,
| _ __ __ embittered ex-programmer, Usenet lurker,
\/ \\v\_\/) mild mudder, and pundit mac consultant.
\\_/ Oog, I'ze a wolf o' broken character...
-- or characters...
Worgfunk Need some Wheaties...

michael kelly

Dec 9, 1992, 11:05:20 AM12/9/92

gri...@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy) writes:

|> My friend Steve and I would play a Wizard/Warrior pair. Our local bar
|> had a summer special where pitchers of beer cost 25 cents at noon, 50
|> cents at 1, 75 cents at 2, and so on. We'd come in after our morning
|> classes, drop our quarter (each) and play until we were too drunk or
|> just plain got tired. We'd manage to get to a "safe" position where one
|> player would be killing a bunch of crap from a safe vantage point, and
|> then could manuever the two figures to the next such spot -- while the
|> other player ran off the take a leak or get another pitcher... Once in
|> awhile, if you'd accidently shot a food/drink in the high levels, we'd
|> actually have to drop in a second (gasp) quarter. Then there was our
|> friend Ron...

This sounds familiar...In my undergrad days a bunch of us would do the
Gauntlet thing. One time I was in the grips of a terrible fever, and I was
incredibly bored with just laying around so I took off for the student center
to grab some food and play some video. I popped a quarter into Gauntlet (I think
I used Warrior) and just started playing. I don't remember how long I went,
but when all was said and done I'd *finally* broke into the top 3 scores. Of
course, my fever didn't get any better....

--
+ Mike Kelly, Notre Dame Department of Physics +
+ +

Douglas John Parsons

Dec 9, 1992, 11:05:41 AM12/9/92
In article <Byyvu...@wrs.com> g...@wrs.com writes:
>In article J...@world.std.com, kkir...@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone remember the name of a game that was a sit down star battle
>>type thing? I know it was made by Exidy, and the ships you shot at looked
>>remarkably like TIE fighters from star wars. Any ideas?
>
>I used to play this all the time...I think it was called "Starfire",
>but somehow that doesn't sound right.
>
>gak

I believe Starfire is the right name. I have the game on the Commodore 64.
So gak, if you want to talk about Starfire some more, why not send me e-mail?\

P.S. Do you have Starfire? If not, are you trying to get it?

Matthew Charlap

Dec 9, 1992, 12:28:06 PM12/9/92
gugle...@cs.yale.edu (Sean Gugler) writes:
>> And, a game that featured a citidel in the center, and you had four
>>buttons, one for each of the four cardinal points of the citadel.
>>Rocks would come at you from the sides of the screen and you had to hit
>>your guns fast to kill them. "Simon" players already had an edge on
>>others... :-)
>Vintage Apple ][ version was called "Outpost".

The arcade version (Finally A REAL oldie I remember the name of) was called
Space Zap. I played this only once or twice, I happened to see it going through
an arcade with oldies.

I've found that the amusement piers down central New-Jersey tend to have a lot
of old games. I haven't been down there in a while, though :-{

For those in Northern NJ, Fun 'n' Games in the Willowbrook Mall (Wayne) has
a lot of the old games- Missile command, Robotron, Asteroids- and a few of
the harder-to-find-but-not-so-old games like Assualt, Galaga '88, R-type,
and that game where you are an anti-aircraft gunner, and the entire top of the
cabinet swivelled with the grips to turn.
--
--Matthew Charlap
This is STILL a test of the .signature

Richard Stueven

Dec 9, 1992, 1:26:05 PM12/9/92
It was sort of a cheap precursor to Star Wars, right? Red, yellow, and
blue targets, each of which were worth different point values.

I liked it mostly because it was a sitdown game (and pretty fun
besides), and you could really get into the game and forget about
everything outside of the box!

have fun
gak

---
Richard Stueven AHA# 22584 |----------| O sibili, si ergo
Internet: g...@wrs.com |----GO----| Fortibus es inero
ATTMAIL: ...!attmail!gakhaus!gak |---SHARX--| O nobili, deus trux
Cow Palace: 107/H/3-4 |----------| Vatis inem? Causan dux.

P.S. I don't think I have the C64 version!

Bjoern Stabell

Dec 9, 1992, 1:22:40 PM12/9/92
What's the correct spelling of Asteriods anyway? I would've used
AsterOIds, but somewhere, somehow, I must've been told that it is
AsterIOds. Anybody know if this is true, and maybe why it has this
peculiar spelling?

While I'm at it, how does Gravitar compare to Thrust / GravityForce?
Me and a friend of mine wrote XPilot (see below), and we were told it
looked quite like Gravitar, even though we had Thrust/GravityForce in
our minds. I'm just sorry I never did get the change to try out
Gravitar. :(

(XPilot has a somewhat similar gameplay to GravityForce (Thrust like
clone for the Amiga), only with an unlimited number of players which
can enter and leave at any time. It requires X11 and a UNIX box.)

Btw, there is an excellent port of Asteriods for X11, called -
Asteriods :) It's very true to the original... Check it out! :)

Kind regards,
--
Bjørn Stabell
University of Tromsø

THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY

Dec 9, 1992, 4:39:21 PM12/9/92

Well, we never found that one, just the one that gave you a million in
gps. And from what I remember, you could only do the cheat once ever. But
then again, it wasn't my game and my friend who owned it was never patient
enough to play it much. Man, he had Might and Magic, Wizardry I and II,
Phantasie, Wizard's Crown, and a lot of good rpgs and he never bothered
to win any of them. I wouldn't have stop playing until I had won them all.

Matt Brockman

Dec 9, 1992, 12:09:38 PM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@news.acns.nwu.edu> ss...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Sanjay Srivastava) writes:
>In article <CKD.92De...@loiosh.eff.org> c...@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>>PB> == Paul Bickford <bick...@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu>
>> PB> The only ADventure I can remember is the venerable version for the
>> PB> Atari 2600 (remember those wonderful duck/dragons?).
>>Yeah. Did you ever go into the Credits Room after getting the invisible dot?
>
> I got there once, I think, and I could never figure out how to do
>it again. Can anyone out there tell me how to get the dot? (My roommates
>and I have an Atari 2600 set up in our room, and we _still_ play it! We
>have about thirty or forty games, and it rocks! Heck with N*nt*ndo,
>they've gone downhill since Donkey Kong. I wonder how many little kids
>today know that "Super Mario Brothers XVII" is based on Donkey Kong?)

Adventure was (is) a great game! The magic key (dot) is (if memory serves
me) in the Black Castle Catacombs in the bottom center of the room just to
the left of the initial Catacomb room. I will attempt a crude ascii picture:
------
------------------ -------------------
| | | | | |
| ------- | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| x---- | | | |
| | | |
| | | ^ in here|
------------------ -------- | --------
| | |
The path is (hopefully) somewhat close to the path you need to reach the 'x'
I have made.

Now, when at the x, you must use the Bridge (what memories that conjures :-)
to pass thru the wall just below you. You will be in a small room. In this
room, you should move around the perimeter of this small room and listen
for the 'picking up an object sound'. You now have the key (a small gray dot.)

Remember, the key is the same color as the floor (background) in most rooms, so
be sure not to drop it or it is tough to find again! To drop it and see where
it is, drop it inside a wall (but make sure it is flush so one side of the dot
can still be touched by you in order to retrieve it!).

To get to the secret room, take at least 2 (maybe three) other objects into
the room just north of the catacombs that lead to the White Castle. Now, with
the magic key in hand, walk through the now-disappeared black gate on the east
side of the room.

Hopefully, I've remembered the correct way to do it.

BTW,
anyone ever experiment walking through wall with the bridge? You could end
up (sometimes trapped) in the strangest places. Like on the roof of the casltes
or suddenly ending up in the Blue Maze.

Anyway, this is a great game! I'd love to see a more complex sequel come out!

Matt Brockman mbro...@ecn.purdue.edu
"While a llama may produce some of the world's finest of wools, prized
around the world, their breath, on the other hand, could only
be prized somewhere in the far reaches of llama hell."

Marv Allenbrand

Dec 9, 1992, 5:36:09 PM12/9/92

In article <1992Dec8.0...@nwnexus.WA.COM>, e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:

|> And, a game that featured a citidel in the center, and you had four
|> buttons, one for each of the four cardinal points of the citadel.
|> Rocks would come at you from the sides of the screen and you had to hit
|> your guns fast to kill them. "Simon" players already had an edge on
|> others... :-)
|>
|> Elf Sternberg. (e...@halcyon.com)

Space Zap?

-Marv

Matt Brockman

Dec 9, 1992, 12:34:57 PM12/9/92
In article <1g3j37...@phakt.usc.edu> co...@phakt.usc.edu (Darren Cokin) writes:
>In article <1992Dec8.0...@nwnexus.WA.COM> e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg) writes:
>>an advanced version of Break-Out, made by Atari, I recall, that
>>featured four castles, one in each corner, and you had to knock through
>>the walls to kill the castle. The object was to be the last one
>>standing...
>
>WARLORDS! Great game for the 2600. You played it with the paddles, great fun
>if you had four people. Me and my cousins would have competitions durring
>all borring family holidays and such. God, I still remeber the computer
>player in the lower left corner was an idiot, and if you were the guy above
>him you could kill him by just not moving and letting the ball bounce back and
>forth. Man, that was at least 12 years ago. Havn't even thought about it
>in years. Weird the things you remember....

Yes! That was great. The green guy was the stupid one. Also, when a brick
was hit, the screen would flash and you could see a ghostly image of any
players who had died.
What was the thing you were protecting? A king? I remember it was a strange
looking blob.

Matt Brockman mbro...@ecn.purdue.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong."
"Never drink coffee that has been anywhere near a fish."
"The room was warm and green and silent."

Andy Stadler

Dec 9, 1992, 7:23:29 PM12/9/92

Fly down the tunnel, the entire tunnel, without shooting. If you get some
practice you'll be able to fly around the barriers and dodge the cannon
blasts. It's OK to shoot at the end (into the exhaust port). You'll get
the bonus.

--Andy sta...@newton.apple.com

Peter Glen Berger

Dec 9, 1992, 5:29:26 PM12/9/92
jpe...@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) writes:
> tpha...@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY) writes:
>
> >Anyone remember a game called Targ?
>
> Yup. That game played a really simple and loud noise during its
> attract mode, which is why I remember it. I also played it a few
> times, but never got too good at it.

Targ was one of those most-excellent games ... simple matrix of
squares, you steered in the channels between the squares, and shot
everything in sight. They made an awesome sequel called "Spectar". I
don't remember who made it, though ... maybe Cinematronix? (my fave
company!).

Pete Berger || ARPA: pet...@cs.cmu.edu
Professional Student || Pete....@andrew.cmu.edu
Univ. Pittsburgh School of Law || UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!pb1p
"You will _croak_ you little clown, when you mess with President Brown!
California Uber Alles! California Uber Alles! Uber Alles, California!"

Marcus E. Haupt

Dec 9, 1992, 7:16:18 PM12/9/92

Frogger
Red Alert
Robotron
Q-bert
Tempest
Centipede
Night Driver (admit it, you loved to play this game)
Pole Position (a cusp game in terms of the technology)
Breakout
Venture
--
"I Can't decide Whether you're a genius or a madman" Marcus Haupt
-Erb Cooper to Marcus Haupt, spring 1991 Dept. of Comp. Sci.

Elf Sternberg

Dec 9, 1992, 7:04:15 PM12/9/92
In article <1g3j37...@phakt.usc.edu>
co...@phakt.usc.edu (Darren Cokin) writes:

>In article <1992Dec8.0...@nwnexus.WA.COM>

> e...@halcyon.com (Elf Sternberg>) writes:

>> May, 1983. Elf Sternberg (that's me) breaks Jurazek's score with a
>>record high of 39,999,975, after 40 hours and 16 minutes of play.

>Pardom me, I'm a just a little curious about the logistics of this. I don't
>recall video games having a pause control. So your standing at a machine
>for nearly 2 days. Did you like have someone bring you a bucket to piss in or
>what?

No, I accepted losses if I had to run. A good Defender player could
easily rack up forty or fifty ships in reserve, and if you timed the
circumstances right (one surviving Pod) was best, you could easily take
a leak and only lose four ships.

Another option was Wave Zero Zero. Every 256 waves (that's about
ever four hours and twenty minutes) the register counting what wave you
were on would wrap around to zero again. If, on that wave, you could
grab all TEN guys (which was easy, the machine thought it was the first
wave of the game) and deposit them on the lowlands just to the right of
the mountain, the game DID pause for up to four minutes.

>I believe Space War was the first video game. It was played on the first

>PDP's in the 50's. I don't know what a PDP is...

something Digital Processor. It was Digital Equipment Corp's first
mini/mainframe setup machine. "Computer Space" was Space War wrapped
in an arcade standalone box.

I grew up on a DEC PDP-11/44 w/VT-100's back in the early 80's.
That was a long time ago...

Elf !!!
--
Elf Sternberg. (e...@halcyon.com)
Due to a bureaucratic error, you are offered the job of county coroner.
You seriously consider accepting the job because it offers: __
A. Unclaimed watches and wedding rings. \/
B. Gold fillings and bridges.
C. Free blood.
D. A constantly changing array of new friends who aren't at all stuffy
about what happens to their genitalia.

CHIHUAHUA CHARLIE

Dec 10, 1992, 12:56:00 AM12/10/92
In article <1992Dec9.2...@ncsu.edu>, tpha...@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY) writes...
-
->I believe the Wizardry cheat mentioned was having a bishop enter
->the maze and "Identify" item 9.
->
->Since characters could only carry 8 items this would seem to be a
->problem....
->
->What would happen, however, was that as soon as the bishop was successful
->in his efforts to identify, he would immediately have
-> --> 1,000,000,000 <-- (read: One-Billion)
->experience points!
->

I believe that cheat was only good on the Apple ][ version
of Wizardry. PC and Mac did not have that little escape;
Anyone remember the "Blade d' Quisenart"?

-
Chihuahua Charlie OU can't take credit for any-
and...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu thing I said above.
The University of Oklahoma
#15 AP Basketball

Ryszard Boryna

Dec 10, 1992, 7:12:15 AM12/10/92

> >There are always some mega scores (>10million) on the machines, but
> >I've never again seen a player "use the Force". So how is it done?
>
> Don't pull the trigger while you're flying through the trench. Dodge
> the barriers, and dodge the missiles, but DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER until
> it's time to launch your bombs.

What does this do? I always just blow seven shades of s**t out of everything in
sight!

Ryszard.

Roger S Hoyle

Dec 10, 1992, 7:53:46 AM12/10/92
Elf writes:
> Gauntlet (10 hours on ONE quarter! With Wizard, of course!)

My best ever was level 308 (around 10 hours) on ten new pence. I had to go at
that point, and dying with 25000 health takes a while I can say ! My favourite
quotes were

"That was a heroic effort"
and
"I've not seen such bravery"

when you rode full pelt into a room of 3rd level ghosts.

Dave writes

|> I once played the warrior for 4 1/2 hours (had to go to class) on a quarter.
|> It was the highest warrior score I'd ever seen.

Thats not too bad. I always found that with warrior, you need to have lucky
levels after level 7. If you got the difficult ones that require diagonal
shooting through gaps before you got loads of health, you had had it.

Cheers.

Rog.

Nelson Langille

Dec 10, 1992, 11:40:40 AM12/10/92
ha...@cs.columbia.edu (Marcus E. Haupt) writes:

>Frogger
>Red Alert
>Robotron
>Q-bert
>Tempest
>Centipede
>Night Driver (admit it, you loved to play this game)
>Pole Position (a cusp game in terms of the technology)
>Breakout
>Venture

What about Phoenix?
There was another good vector graphics game where you were
moving along the outside edge of different shaped tubes, and
shooting at things that came up from the bottom?

David Merrill

Dec 10, 1992, 5:23:13 PM12/10/92
Roger S Hoyle (r...@cs.bham.ac.uk) wrote:
> Dave writes
> |>
> |> I once played the warrior for 4 1/2 hours (had to go to class) on a quarter.
> |> It was the highest warrior score I'd ever seen.
> |>

> Thats not too bad. I always found that with warrior, you need to have lucky
> levels after level 7. If you got the difficult ones that require diagonal
> shooting through gaps before you got loads of health, you had had it.

True, but once Warrior gets a few special potions, especially shot power, shot
speed and extra magic power, he is a total stud. It's really nice to be able to
kill three-point ghosts with a single shot.

For some reason, I never really got into Wizard.

I used to play in a place where some arsehole would jump in as Elf, then proceed
to scurry around and grab all of the food and potions. You should have seen the
evil grin on my face when we got to a "shots stun other players" level.

--
dave

Visualize whirled peas | The ideas and opinions expressed in this article
-------------------------| are true; the words have been changed to protect
dave merrill | the innocent
dmer...@cdc.hp.com ------------------------------------------------------

Chung H. Shum

Dec 10, 1992, 6:10:13 PM12/10/92
In article <9DEC1992...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu> and...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu (CHIHUAHUA CHARLIE) writes:
>In article <1992Dec9.2...@ncsu.edu>, tpha...@eos.ncsu.edu (THOMAS PATRICK HAILEY) writes...
>-
>->I believe the Wizardry cheat mentioned was having a bishop enter
>->the maze and "Identify" item 9.
[etc]

>->What would happen, however, was that as soon as the bishop was successful
>->in his efforts to identify, he would immediately have
>-> --> 1,000,000,000 <-- (read: One-Billion)
>->experience points!

The other useful bugs were (I)dentify "S" which gave the character right
after the bishop 1000000000 experience points, and "J" which gave the
character right after the bishop 1000000000 gold pieces. So you just
rearrange the order of your party a couple times and then you're set...
going back to the inn is much less of a pain with an accelerated machine.
Then you can set off with lords and samurais who know both sets of spells...
of course, this makes the game less of a challenge.

> I believe that cheat was only good on the Apple ][ version
>of Wizardry. PC and Mac did not have that little escape;
>Anyone remember the "Blade d' Quisenart"?

They took out these bugs in the reissues of the Apple II versions (or so
I read in some magazine). Wasn't it "blade d' cuisinart"? Well, it's
--
Chung H. Shum
cs...@ocf.berkeley.edu

John Meredith

Dec 10, 1992, 10:50:41 PM12/10/92
Anyone remember how to get into the Secret rooms?

I did so once after being stuck in an area for too long.....
Before the floor turned to all EXIT signs, I pushed one of the
wall segments into a transporter or an exit (I think it was the
former) and it stuck me in a secret room. The voice said I had
performed "a special maneuver" (or some such thing.) What
else would do this?

(the Secret room had tons of potions and medallions, but no
monsters. You had to find the exit within a certain time
limits to keep the stuff. VERY nice...)

| John P. Meredith | |
| Penn State University | SUPPORT MENTAL HEALTH OR I'LL KILL YOU. |
| JPM...@psuvm.psu.edu | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ |
|________________________|__________________________________________|

JESSE MICHAEL FUCHS

Dec 11, 1992, 3:28:56 AM12/11/92
Remember "Tron?" That was a truly great game. I remember once on the
tank scene I saw some guyget to use a solar sailor, or something like that.
I don't remember quite, but there was some really weird stuff hidden in that
game. Anyone else remember it? Not to mention two other faves, "Krull" and
"Quantum," the only gam ewith a demo screen you could play...

Gregg Woodcock

Dec 21, 1992, 9:49:49 AM12/21/92
In article <1992Dec19.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, swoo...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) writes:

|> In article <Byyrn...@world.std.com> kkir...@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey) writes:
|> >
|> >Does anyone remember the name of a game that was a sit down star battle
|> >type thing? I know it was made by Exidy, and the ships you shot at looked
|> >remarkably like TIE fighters from star wars. Any ideas?

Already been discussed; "StarFire".
--
THANX...Gregg wood...@bnr.ca day 214.684.7380 night 214.530.2495
*CLASSIC VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR BUY/SELL/TRADE PRE-NINTENDO (ARCADE/HOME)*

Stefan Yen Chakerian

Dec 22, 1992, 4:29:13 PM12/22/92
r...@cs.bham.ac.uk (Roger S Hoyle) posted:

>John Meredith writes:
>|> Anyone remember how to get into the Secret rooms?
>That was Gauntlet II

Some of the suspected ways are:

don't eat any food
don't take any treasure
don't shoot friends
don't shoot potions
don't get hit
don't use up invulnerability before exiting
push blocks into exits or transporters
teleport into the exit

When you get a secret room, you lose all your keys, so if it's one of the
rooms that requires unlocking a door, you best use it wisely. Grab the
permanent potions (speed FIRST) as quickly as possible and go for the exit.

If you make it, it will take your name, hash it (or something) and
give you a secret code to which you can enter a drawing for something
nifty (if you do it before Dec, 1988 or so).

Incidently, the value of deaths cycle when they are shot. I don't
remember the exact cycle, but it's something like: 1K,2K,1K,6K,1K,4K,1K,8K
It also lasts between games, so when they're at 8K, don't shoot them ever.

stef

--
_---_ Stefan Chakerian
/ o o \ sch...@triton.unm.edu, sch...@unmb.bitnet

Glenn Mandelkern

Dec 22, 1992, 4:11:15 PM12/22/92
In article <SCHERR.92D...@occs.cs.oberlin.edu> sch...@occs.cs.oberlin.edu (Joshua R. Scherr) writes:

>the name of the Exidy game w/the tie-fighter style ships is called
>STAR FIRE.

SF Bay Area residents may be interested to know that:
A STAR FIRE may be found at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Arcade.

>Jeez, this newsgroup brings back memories.

Many other classic video games and pinballs are available
also here at Santa Cruz. You may find me playing one of 6
working Tempest's here (no, none of them have the "free"
40-credit trick), or two of my favorite pinballs from
my "Wonder Years", namely Elton John's Captain Fantastic
and Future Spa.