What's the most retarded thing you did in Vga Planets?

Adrian

Jan 9, 2002, 4:25:56 PM1/9/02
My shining moment took place yesterday.

As the privateers I had stolen a 300 fighter RUSH.

The Feds attacked it and I lost it to .. a kitty hawk I think.

My problem was that I TOTALY forgot to recrew the god damn thing!!
When I saw the VCR I knew I was screwed..it had 20 people on it.

Bill Rosgen

Jan 11, 2002, 2:19:35 AM1/11/02

I once recycled an Emerald full of mark 8 torps, that's 510 torpedoes, or
27 540 mc down the drain ;( Hit the wrong mission in Winplan.

--
Bill Rosgen
wro...@telusplanet.net

Aaron

Jan 11, 2002, 2:30:43 AM1/11/02
In article <MPG.16a840c29...@news.telusplanet.net>,
wro...@telusplanet.net says...

>I once recycled an Emerald full of mark 8 torps, that's 510 torpedoes, or
>27 540 mc down the drain ;( Hit the wrong mission in Winplan.

Playing Rebels I once forgot to change the mission from RGA as
it went back to my HW. Not once, but twice in a row.

--
- Aaron
There was this flash of light... and then I was back

Costin Eseanu

Jan 11, 2002, 5:17:47 AM1/11/02

As the Privs too:
I have guessed the FC of my enemy HW to be NUK, so I set a MBR to FC NUK
and pass freely through his minefield to his HW. There I see a nice LDSF
and decide to tow&capture it. Set mission to tow and waypoint to some
lys to the east... Guess what MBR surrendered to my enemy. :-(

Costin

Unknown

Jan 11, 2002, 5:18:36 AM1/11/02
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:30:43 GMT, u...@ugh.ugh (Aaron) wrote:

>Playing Rebels I once forgot to change the mission from RGA as
>it went back to my HW. Not once, but twice in a row.

Where to begin..

On my first time playing as the privs in a real game, I kept
forgetting that cloaking normal ships drains fuel.
My MBRs kept on running out and getting stranded.

Then there was the time that I had a HW set to NUK in a phost game,
a really good fleet was protecting it, but the first enemy ship that
arrived fought my HW before any of the orbitting ships and killed it..
The orbiting ships killed the enemy ship and retook my HW in the same
turn, but I lost about 8 Million clans plus a starbase.

Is this always the case in phost- NUK before ship combat or is it to
do with ID#? The ship in question was a Birdman Darkwing, it decloaked
as it moved through a minefield around my HW (taking 40% damage), I
didn't get any Ion Pulse messages. Planet ID was #100, Ship IDs were
both higher and lower. Darkwing ID was #453.

Now I'm in the habit of only setting NUK on my crap planets.

Slicer.

Matthias Gietl

Jan 11, 2002, 6:11:55 AM1/11/02
(Slicer) wrote in news:3c3eb84...@news.freenet.co.uk:

> Then there was the time that I had a HW set to NUK in a phost game,
> a really good fleet was protecting it, but the first enemy ship that
> arrived fought my HW before any of the orbitting ships and killed it..
> The orbiting ships killed the enemy ship and retook my HW in the same
> turn, but I lost about 8 Million clans plus a starbase.
>
> Is this always the case in phost- NUK before ship combat or is it to
> do with ID#? The ship in question was a Birdman Darkwing, it decloaked
> as it moved through a minefield around my HW (taking 40% damage), I
> didn't get any Ion Pulse messages. Planet ID was #100, Ship IDs were
> both higher and lower. Darkwing ID was #453.
>
> Now I'm in the habit of only setting NUK on my crap planets.

how about reading the phost docs?

setting nuk will give your base a battleorder of about 000. to have your
ships fight before the base, set their battleorder (via fc) to a negative
one.

matthias

Unknown

Jan 11, 2002, 7:07:10 AM1/11/02

>how about reading the phost docs?
>
>setting nuk will give your base a battleorder of about 000. to have your
>ships fight before the base, set their battleorder (via fc) to a negative
>one.
>
>matthias

This is only the case if AllowPlanetAttacks is enabled right?

So I need to put the minus sign '-' and then a few numericals..
This means I can't use any Friendly codes that actually perform tasks
like msc/mkt and still have the ship fight b4 the planet.

thanx.

Slicer.

Axel

Jan 11, 2002, 7:12:42 AM1/11/02
Up against the crystals and an extensive Web Mine array, 2 3/4 full Rush
with just enough fuel to get where they are going over 6 turns sweeping at
warp 4 with heavy phasers,

Turn 1 fine

Turn 2 First rush is caught + Stranded

Turn 3 Fine

Turn 4 I notice ship 2 does'nt have enough fuel to get to way point.

Turn 5 both ships without fuel

Turn 7 or so Crystal has 2 Rushes with 500 fighters.

I hsadn't picked up on the fact that web drain works without needing a hit,
and this was after reading a race guide on the crystals and calculating
carefully.

Unknown

Jan 11, 2002, 8:54:42 AM1/11/02
On 11 Jan 2002 13:22:10 +0100, Heiko Schlenker <hsc...@gmx.de> wrote:

>* (Slicer) <> wrote:
>
>[PHost]

>> This means I can't use any Friendly codes that actually perform
>> tasks like msc/mkt
>

>Simply use extended missions like "Build Torpedoes from Cargo",
>"Gather-Build Torpedoes" or "Scoop Torpedoes".

If the games I was playing in had them enabled I would.
I'll try to convince my host to turn them on.
BTW can you have the extended mission 'cloak' on and use the standard
mission intercept at the same time? Probably not, but I've always
wanted to try that out..

Baby Woojums

Jan 11, 2002, 11:00:16 AM1/11/02

"Adrian" <adria...@stream.com> wrote in message

How about my Privs trying to rob the same Nova with a Large Freighter, not
once but twice?!? Or the time my T-Rex fleet, complete with Loki guard went
in against the Privs - and I'd forgotten to set any PE or Kill mission on
any of the ships! The Privs had a field day there.. :^(

A goof that made me chuckle was a semi-experienced acquaintance who set
the mission of his Transwarp/Hvy Blaster Virgo, with 200 ftrs, to
colonize...

BW

The mind is like a TV set - when it goes blank,
it's a good idea to turn off the sound

Blackbeard

Jan 11, 2002, 11:01:29 AM1/11/02
Adrian wrote:

I'm perpetually retarded regarding fireclouds, for some reason.

I've forgotten to fuel either or both chunneler/target

Set up a drop tow, and either not set the tow or cancelled it
(actually VPA did the latter, although the result was as bad)

Done drop tows into the warp well, but left the tower on warp-9

Bungled chunnels have endless possibilities for disaster.

Oh, I came *this* close to loading all the clans (rather than
supplies) from a base to a merlin, too.

--
Blackbeard.

Pawel

Jan 11, 2002, 4:10:03 PM1/11/02
My greatest day was in a far, far galaxy away.

I captured a:
- Gorbie with about 100 fighters
- 2 Golems, each had 175 fighters
- 6 other Robots ships (LSD, Cats, ...)
- a Starbase with an SSD
- and destroyed the Robots completly in 3 turns (not the beginning)

All this happened in a newbie game (he and I).
I played the Tholians and mined his HW with 4 webfields.
One turn later the SSD arrived and captured (or like I say, "released") his
HW.
Afterwards they surrendered of fuel lags.

Regards Pawel

Aaron

Jan 11, 2002, 7:34:06 PM1/11/02
In article <is2u3u0kl0dtgnnp6...@4ax.com>,
TonyL@*remove*herrflik.freeserve.co.uk says...

>Bungled chunnels have endless possibilities for disaster.

LOL. Remember back in versions prior to host 3.21?
Any number in the FCC's fcode would trigger the
chunnel. Not a good feature when you're using RandMax.
I once had half of my fleet chunnel to the wrong place
by accident... leaving no FCC to chunnel back to.

Mark Beilke

Jan 11, 2002, 8:59:05 PM1/11/02

> Oh, I came *this* close to loading all the clans (rather than
> supplies) from a base to a merlin, too.
>

> --
> Blackbeard.

Been there...done that. Easy to do in VPA with them being right next to
each other. Have caught myself a couple of times before disaster but it
really happened a couple of times.

Beerbelly

Andreas Huck

Jan 12, 2002, 2:10:40 PM1/12/02
I once lost my freshly captured MBR due to laying accydentally a wrong
minefield. it should have been 'md5' but was 'mi5' :-)))

Kvorak

Jan 12, 2002, 4:45:44 PM1/12/02

"Aaron" <u...@ugh.ugh> wrote in message

> Playing Rebels I once forgot to change the mission from RGA as
> it went back to my HW. Not once, but twice in a row.

I once, when I first started playing, pilliaged my HW for FOUR turns trying
to figure out what was happening to my population....

Jason

Surfie

Jan 12, 2002, 5:53:34 PM1/12/02
One of my greatest moments came when I HYPED a falcon class escort (I was
playing the rebels) back to my homeworld, without changing the mission
(mission was RGA hehe). But, not ONLY did I RGA my homeworld once, I forgot
to move or change the mission for the next turn too :) Rebels should be
immune from RGA I say :)

Another came when I had a fleet of about 5 Virgos and 7 Patriots sitting in
space ready to attack an enemy starbase. I set the PE to the race I was
attacking, but then only attacked with 1 Virgo and 2 Patriots (forgot to
send the rest in). In the end, that round didn't even see me hit the base
(there were 4 full Biocides in orbit). It took me AGES to recuperate from
that one, coz the next turn, I said "stuff it - see if I can get through
anyway". Guess what - I didn't :)

Cheers

Surfie
www.surfie.web.com

Alfie Finch

Jan 14, 2002, 9:26:38 PM1/14/02
"Adrian" <adria...@stream.com> wrote in message

I would have to say pretty much most of what the following posts
highlight...

In no particular order, I've ;
a) forgotten certain ships need fuel to cloak and left cloaking ships
stranded fuelless and hence easy to capture by enemies
b) forgotten to re-crew captured ships and used them in combat
c) forgotten to disguise where captured ships are heading to re-crew, thus
leading to an assault on a shipyard
d) moved ships to recover a stranded fuelless ship without checking messages
or having minesweepers out and realising it's fuelless cos it's in a webmine
e) adjunct to d) above, moved more ships in to recover multiple fuelless
ships (answer: learnt my lesson damn fast and only enter into games where I
will have time to read ALL my messages and/or leave ships on
picket/minesweeper patrol)
f) chunneled a battle fleet onto a homeworld forgetting that they have no
shields on arrival...very costly way of capturing a homeworld
g) without checking with ally, assumed ally FC won't change this turn and
that beam up commands work therefore resources beamed up count towards
projected fighter/torpedo build that turn...when next turn they land on
enemy position and get scragged with less than expected military might blame
ally

I would have to say that these were lessons all learnt in my first six
monthso fo playing on line games against human players and they don't
happene nowadays...except for b) in my current game at Surfies :)

Alfie Finch

Jan 14, 2002, 9:29:21 PM1/14/02
"Adrian" <adria...@stream.com> wrote in message

I do have to add that 6 days spent perusing Donovan's site sorted me out on
most of my blunders....

Aaron

Jan 14, 2002, 11:11:04 PM1/14/02

but rather simple forgetfullness.

Anyone ever consider designing a small utility to
check for these kind of errors? It could be run
before maketurn to prevent them.

GS

Jan 14, 2002, 11:11:38 PM1/14/02
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:26:38 -0000, "Alfie Finch"
<alfie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>b) forgotten to re-crew captured ships and used them in combat

Just curious as to what this refers to and how do you "re-crew"?

Thanks

Bob
reply to generic_stuffs@yahoo_.com removing underscores

Aaron

Jan 15, 2002, 1:06:03 AM1/15/02
In article <1ua74ukgnnjsc1p23...@4ax.com>,
generi...@yahoo.com says...

>Just curious as to what this refers to and how do you "re-crew"?

Ships have crew. If the crew runs to 0 the ship
gets captured. You can recrew them by using the
repair option at a starbase. There are also some
add-ons that do it.

Straha

Jan 15, 2002, 1:05:29 AM1/15/02

"GS" <generi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:26:38 -0000, "Alfie Finch"
> <alfie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >b) forgotten to re-crew captured ships and used them in combat
>
> Just curious as to what this refers to and how do you "re-crew"?

A ship can lose crew in combat if it sustains damage. You can recrew by
going to a starbase and use the fix ship starbase order.

GS

Jan 15, 2002, 1:31:28 PM1/15/02
I understand. But if you're repairing in deep space with supplies,
that won't "build" new crewmen. Hmmm... My problem is that I'm a
long ways from my SB. Would loading clans on board help? Or does the
crew have to be "trained" at a starbase?

Thansk

Bob

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:06:03 GMT, u...@ugh.ugh (Aaron) wrote:

>In article <1ua74ukgnnjsc1p23...@4ax.com>,
>generi...@yahoo.com says...
>>
>>Just curious as to what this refers to and how do you "re-crew"?
>>

>Ships have crew. If the crew runs to 0 the ship
>gets captured. You can recrew them by using the
>repair option at a starbase. There are also some
>add-ons that do it.

reply to generic_stuffs@yahoo_.com removing underscores

Unknown

Jan 15, 2002, 2:15:57 PM1/15/02
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:31:28 GMT, GS <generi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I understand. But if you're repairing in deep space with supplies,
>that won't "build" new crewmen. Hmmm... My problem is that I'm a
>long ways from my SB. Would loading clans on board help? Or does the
>crew have to be "trained" at a starbase?
>
>Thansk
>
>Bob

It only works if you are at a starbase and set the starbase to
'fix/recrew' your ship. You can only recrew 1 ship per starbase each
turn.

Try scraping together enough minerals/MCs to build another closer
starbase, it doesn't matter how many of your clans are on the planet
for recrewing.

Note: This is assuming you aren't using any wierd addons which can do
it by using clans.

Slicer.

Blackbeard

Jan 15, 2002, 5:41:36 PM1/15/02
Mark Beilke wrote:

>> Oh, I came *this* close to loading all the clans (rather than
>> supplies) from a base to a merlin, too.

>Been there...done that. Easy to do in VPA with them being right next to

>each other. Have caught myself a couple of times before disaster but it
>really happened a couple of times.

I guess this is an anti-retard comment, but I find that leaving the
places on unload freighters helps. I've not formally tested it, so
beware (!), but I've been in the case before where I removed all clans
(this was for a base handover, but my ally missed the turn). The next
turn the base, on unload freighters, unloaded all my clans back to the
planet.

--
Blackbeard.

Matthias Gietl

Jan 15, 2002, 6:05:05 PM1/15/02
u...@ugh.ugh (Aaron) wrote in news:sZN08.31553$JF.302475
@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net:

> but rather simple forgetfullness.
>
> Anyone ever consider designing a small utility to
> check for these kind of errors? It could be run
> before maketurn to prevent them.

its already out there: tanscius checks for such things and if you write the
author with new suggestions, he will surely put it into his tool.

matthias

GS

Jan 16, 2002, 9:47:53 AM1/16/02

Ok, what happens if I don't? There won't be enough crew to fire all
weapons resulting in fewer beams online?

Thanks

Bob

reply to generic_stuffs@yahoo_.com removing underscores

Akseli Mäki

Jan 16, 2002, 10:41:39 AM1/16/02
GS wrote:

>Ok, what happens if I don't? There won't be enough crew to fire all
>weapons resulting in fewer beams online?

No, the ship will function as well, but if it has little crew, the
ship can get captured easily after it loses its shields.

GS

Jan 17, 2002, 10:12:40 AM1/17/02

In this case it's a Dark Wing which normally carries a crew of 910 but
after damage has 839. Less than 10% decrease. Is this significant?
According to what I've read a much smaller ship with fewer crew to
begin with might be more susceptible. Am I correct?

Happy gaming!

Bob

Aaron

Jan 17, 2002, 11:16:13 AM1/17/02
In article <ebqd4ucnukpdoqfuc...@4ax.com>,
generi...@yahoo.com says...

>In this case it's a Dark Wing which normally carries a crew of 910 but
>after damage has 839. Less than 10% decrease. Is this significant?
>According to what I've read a much smaller ship with fewer crew to
>begin with might be more susceptible. Am I correct?

LOL... as long as you fix the damage you're fine. Big ships
don't have as much of a problem as they tend to have
larger crew. It's like trying to cap a Cube with X-rays,
it's not going to happen. In Thost atleast it's this simple:
When crew reaches 0 if the ship is still in one piece it'll
fall into the enemy's hands. The "kill" rating on the beams/torps
are what do most of the crew killing... so do the math.
This means fighter carriers have a tougher time (still possible
tho) capturing ships. A good, easy to cap ship is the Red Wind
carrier, the privvy MBR is also good cap fodder. Sim this
if you want, Mk4 tubes, about 2 or 3 (or 4?) torps and a
darkwing with X-rays versus an MBR with X-rays and some
tubes with no signifigant torps (usually none is typical).
The torps will take the shields down and your beams will
kill the crew. Just be careful that your torps don't
destroy the ship first.

Adrian

Jan 17, 2002, 2:06:34 PM1/17/02
GS <generi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<ebqd4ucnukpdoqfuc...@4ax.com>...

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:41:39 +0200, Akseli Mäki <Aks...@nic.fi> wrote:
>
> In this case it's a Dark Wing which normally carries a crew of 910 but
> after damage has 839. Less than 10% decrease. Is this significant?
> According to what I've read a much smaller ship with fewer crew to
> begin with might be more susceptible. Am I correct?

I think with that much crew you don't have to worry about it.. your
ship will probably get blown up before your crew will die.

Bruce Sinclair

Jan 22, 2002, 7:18:01 PM1/22/02
In article <cc4fde2b.02011...@posting.google.com>, adria...@stream.com (Adrian) wrote:
:GS <generi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

yep ... BUT (here it comes :) ) the problem is, if you keep winning but
taking damage each time. Eventually, if you forget to recrew, you will have
very few crew and MAY be subject to a capture :)
As already said, it's more important for some ships than others :)

Just be a bit careful.

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !