[OT] Erm...So yes, Peru

silver phoenix

Jul 11, 2002, 5:19:48 PM7/11/02
Alright, so I'm not going today, or tomorrow, or the day after, but I *am* going the day
after that and I have to work full shifts both days before :)

I'm off for a month long expedition, those of you who didn't already know, but hopefully
I'll find some sort of internet cafe in Lima or Iquitos (thanks to CB for the list) and
I'll mail a circular.

I hope someone will bash Eep over the head repeatedly in my absence, and that some of
you'll still remember me when I return (if I ever do ;) ).

After all, as those of you with my itinerary will know, I am travelling a section by
'bush'... ;)

Love you all (with a few carefully chosen exceptions ;) ),

Be happy,

Nick
-
'Stranger, I have but little to say. Stand and read. This is the ugly tomb of a fair
woman. Her parents gave her the name Claudia. She loved her husband with her heart and
bore two sons. One she has left on earth, the other she has placed beneath it. Her talk
was charming and her walk was graceful. She kept her house and worked the wool. That is
all.'

- Roman
Epitaph

Gordian Slash

Jul 11, 2002, 11:47:26 PM7/11/02

Good luck, hang tough, and don't eat anything handed to you by a woman
in a hat. We'll miss you and envy you the experience, but don't be
expecting us to let on how impressed we really are when you make it
back! :-)

--
rolob...@earthlink.net
Mr. Flibble says: "Via con Dios!"

Cookiebear

Jul 12, 2002, 12:39:50 AM7/12/02

For simplicities sake I'll send you an e-mail with most of what I shall
say, which most likely isn't that much. ;-)
And yes I love those Roman epitaphs. They're always so beautifully
poignant. You have to wonder if they hired professionals. ;-)
And that sort of takes the poignancy out a bit. ;-)
But in either case they always come across as such a simple heart
breakingly honest expression from the heart.

Anyway, have fun special monkey. ;-)

-Cookiebear

Sas

Jul 12, 2002, 5:19:56 PM7/12/02
"silver phoenix" <nospamnick...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<cCmX8.2771$Ro6.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...

I already told you what I wanted to say privately... (have loads of
fun, be careful and come back in one piece :))

We'll miss you!!

Love,
Sas

PS I want that epitaph guy to write mine!! (eventually)

Mustang

Jul 12, 2002, 5:52:31 PM7/12/02
silver phoenix <nospamnick...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

So, this is the part I haven't been looking forward to at all.

I was thinking of posting a quick message in here about it anyway, but now I
can reply to this. I don't think e-mail will get me anywhere, either. I'd
like someone to reply to this because I doubt it'll get seen otherwise.

> Alright, so I'm not going today, or tomorrow, or the day after, but I
> *am* going the day after that and I have to work full shifts both days
> before :)
>
> I'm off for a month long expedition, those of you who didn't already
> know, but hopefully I'll find some sort of internet cafe in Lima or
> Iquitos (thanks to CB for the list) and I'll mail a circular.

I would like to at least hear what you get up to, and if it's not too much
to ask... could you possibly?

> I hope someone will bash Eep over the head repeatedly in my absence, and
> that some of you'll still remember me when I return (if I ever do ;) ).
>
> After all, as those of you with my itinerary will know, I am travelling a
> section by 'bush'... ;)

I don't, but I wish your expedition was something that didn't have to go
down with the ship...

> Love you all (with a few carefully chosen exceptions ;) ),
>
> Be happy,
>
> Nick

Yeah, I'll try. I just wanted to wish you the very best for your trip, and I
could not care less whether you want to hear it from me or not. Take care.
Good luck.

Martyn

bbocquin

Jul 12, 2002, 6:02:08 PM7/12/02
Oh some people have *all* the luck!

I'm envious!

Careful of the altitude & hike safe!

Bring back *lots* of pictures to attach to mail... (hint hint) :)

Enjoy!

--Bruce

bbocquin

Jul 12, 2002, 6:09:56 PM7/12/02
I'm not sure why you want someone to reply but OK. I am replying...

(Oh dear... I forgot to *snip* now didn't I?) <g>

*****

Ms T

Jul 12, 2002, 10:32:44 PM7/12/02
"silver phoenix" wrote:
<.....>

> Love you all (with a few carefully chosen exceptions ;) ),
>
> Be happy,
>
> Nick

<....>
<sniff> This was the first thing I read upon my return to agt in many many
days...,

Okay.., I'll "be happy"..,

But if you read this before you go.., I want you to take something with you:

May the hands of wind guide you to safety and adventurous lively fun!

If you didn't read this before your adventure and are only reading it upon
your safe return:

Know that your own keen intellect and intuition is what kept you from great
harm...,

May you come back to us whole and with many tales to share! :)

Peace!

Ms T

silver phoenix

Jul 13, 2002, 4:45:12 AM7/13/02

<ahem> <waves to all> I'm here! Today only, but I'm still here, yes.

Just had a call from the lovely Sabrina, who cannot fit even her personal kit into her 65l
backpack. I went through the lists with her (after initially suggesting she hire an
industrial vehicle compacter, which she did not take well), finally asking what was in her
'Washing kit'.

'You can't take heat protector spray and leave-in conditioner into the middle of the
Amazon rainforest, Sabrina.' I groaned. I think that if she removes some of the arsenal of
haircare products - which I will do by force tomorrow if she doesn't - then her first aid
kit may fit.

<sigh> ;)

Nick
-
'Here, take these two.' Lister handed the Cat two suits from the end of the one of the
racks.
'Hey, no way! I'm staying.'
'But you'll be dead by time I come out.'
'Two suits _is_ dead, buddy. Say, if I cut off my leg and leave it behind, can I take
three?'

- Grant Naylor, RD: Infinity Welcomes

Mustang

Jul 13, 2002, 8:14:31 AM7/13/02

"bbocquin" <bboc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I'm not sure why you want someone to reply but OK. I am replying...
>
> (Oh dear... I forgot to *snip* now didn't I?) <g>

Thanks, Bruce. I owe you for more than just Falcon 4 now, although this one
was worth more.

Martyn

Mustang

Jul 13, 2002, 8:14:31 AM7/13/02

"bbocquin" <bboc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm not sure why you want someone to reply but OK. I am replying...
>
> (Oh dear... I forgot to *snip* now didn't I?) <g>

Thanks, Bruce. I owe you for more than just Falcon 4 now, although this one
was worth more.

Martyn

Sas

Jul 13, 2002, 8:35:57 AM7/13/02

"bbocquin" <bboc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm not sure why you want someone to reply but OK. I am replying...

Because he suspects that Silver is filtering him. I'm not sure if she
has, but she might have. She won't see his message, but if you reply to
it, she will see yours, *and* any text quoted by you.

Did you know that or didn't you? Because your grin below made me
wonder...

> (Oh dear... I forgot to *snip* now didn't I?) <g>

Not to worry, I fixed that ;)

Sas
-- whose parents are away for a weekend...

I have (and insubordinately) plugged my modem into the nearest
phonesocket, and am seeing actual THREADS on Oscars screen. *yay*

It's good to see you all!

Mustang

Jul 13, 2002, 3:34:11 PM7/13/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> "bbocquin" <bboc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> Sas
> -- whose parents are away for a weekend...
>
> I have (and insubordinately) plugged my modem into the nearest
> phonesocket, and am seeing actual THREADS on Oscars screen. *yay*
>
> It's good to see you all!

Yey!

*GO* *SAS* *!*

(Asterisks = pompoms, as you so cleverly discovered in a post I just read
;) )

-Mustang

Cookiebear

Jul 13, 2002, 5:29:43 PM7/13/02
-Snipo

> Sas
> -- whose parents are away for a weekend...
>
> I have (and insubordinately) plugged my modem into the nearest
> phonesocket, and am seeing actual THREADS on Oscars screen. *yay*
>
> It's good to see you all!

*YAY*!!!! :-D

That's wonderful, I hope they do come round to the idea soon.
Anyway, shhhh! everyone, it's a secret. ;-)

And it feels good to be viewed on Oscar again, the way I should be. ;-)

-Cookiebear

Bex

Jul 14, 2002, 5:38:20 AM7/14/02
I had to wish you good luck! Have a great time. I am as jealous as hell. :-)

-Bex.

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 14, 2002, 5:40:04 AM7/14/02

"silver phoenix" <nospamnick...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Cae tenga wan dia, amiga!

Remember to not have a seat where there are leeches. That could be
embarassing. Take care Nick, I want ya back here in one piece!
Mike

---

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 14, 2002, 5:40:04 AM7/14/02

"Sas" <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote in message
I knew you'd make it back!

Cookiebear

Jul 14, 2002, 6:07:01 AM7/14/02

-snipo

> Remember to not have a seat where there are leeches. That could be
> embarassing. Take care Nick, I want ya back here in one piece!
> Mike

Yes many's the time I've seen a barrel marked 'leeches' and I've just
had to go sit in it. ;-)

-Cookiebear

Sas

Jul 14, 2002, 3:42:04 PM7/14/02
"McGrandpa [AGQx]" <mmccol...@NOThouston.rr.com> wrote in message news:<UFbY8.98093$eF5.2...@twister.austin.rr.com>...

> "Sas" <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "bbocquin" <bboc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm not sure why you want someone to reply but OK. I am replying...
> >
> > Because he suspects that Silver is filtering him. I'm not sure if she
> > has, but she might have. She won't see his message, but if you reply
> > it, she will see yours, *and* any text quoted by you.
> >
> > Did you know that or didn't you? Because your grin below made me
> > wonder...
> >
> > > (Oh dear... I forgot to *snip* now didn't I?) <g>
> >
> > Not to worry, I fixed that ;)
> >
> > Sas
> > -- whose parents are away for a weekend...
> >
> > I have (and insubordinately) plugged my modem into the nearest
> > phonesocket, and am seeing actual THREADS on Oscars screen. *yay*
> >
> > It's good to see you all!
> >

> I knew you'd make it back!
> Mike

My come-back was shortlived though (one day)... :(
My parents are coming back today, so I've unplugged Oscar's connection
to the world and returned to Google Groups on the pc downstairs.

One of these days I will be able to convince my mum that it's ok for
Oscar to be plugged in, the world won't end...

Maybe when I (*finally*) get a job ( <stamps feet like a four year old
and throws mock tantrum> I want one, I want one, I *want* one!) and I
can contribute my own money towards paying the phonebill, she'll
mellow out some.

Meanwile, I feel like I'm fourteen years old again!

Sas
-- managing

bbocquin

Jul 14, 2002, 7:39:04 PM7/14/02
No problem...

BTW, I didn't get to the post office for F4, and so I gave the package to a
friend along with 20 bucks. Hopefully it'll go out Monday or Tuesday-- no
idea what the turn around time is for mailing to UK.

If it costs me more than 20 bucks (which is what the game itself is worth)
then *dang*! No *wonder* we had a revolutuion against you guys!

Gary Mitchell

Jul 15, 2002, 4:02:27 AM7/15/02

So, was it embarrassing? :)

-- G

Cookiebear

Jul 15, 2002, 6:05:02 AM7/15/02

No, for me those were some of me more graceful moments. ;-)
And that's why I shall continue to do it again, and again.
And again, and again and again and again.

-Cookiebear

Mustang

Jul 15, 2002, 4:25:28 PM7/15/02

Hehe :) Well, we'll see. Royal Mail will probably lose it at the rate they
are going! I'm still waiting for a parcel from Bex, and three working days
so far is quite naff when we live next door to each other (by an American's
standards, that is ;) ).

Is the copy you happened to pick up worth $20, or the game if you had bought
it new? I imagine it's the former. Well, never has such a stranger spent so
much on me, I must say <beam> :-) You will be reimbursed, though. Well, I
think ;)

-Mustang

Arthur Green

Jul 15, 2002, 6:27:04 PM7/15/02
On 14 Jul 2002 12:42:04 -0700, prosciutto_...@yahoo.com (Sas)
wrote:

[ ... excision .. ]

>My come-back was shortlived though (one day)... :(
>My parents are coming back today, so I've unplugged Oscar's connection
>to the world and returned to Google Groups on the pc downstairs.

Mr Killfilter (who now takes care of @yahoo.com addresses for me) was
catching your posts - I thought you'd gone very quiet. I've had a word
with him and your posts no longer suffer his tender mercies.

>One of these days I will be able to convince my mum that it's ok for
>Oscar to be plugged in, the world won't end...

It strikes me that you're probably going to spend more time online
using Google Groups than OE. Google gives you overhead (all that HTML
formatting) that you don't need to worry about using NNTP. If your
parents are on a dial-up connection, plugging in Oscar will actually
save money. I'll be able to dig out/invent some statistics on this in
a day or so.

If they're on a DSL or cable connection, then they should have the
house networked :-)

>Maybe when I (*finally*) get a job ( <stamps feet like a four year old
>and throws mock tantrum> I want one, I want one, I *want* one!) and I
>can contribute my own money towards paying the phonebill, she'll
>mellow out some.

I've recently come to the conclusion that, given a choice between a
job and being a self-employed consultant/bum, I'll take being a bum
any day.

>Meanwile, I feel like I'm fourteen years old again!

Back to the bunny slippers, eh? :-)

>Sas
>-- managing

- AG

"Businesses may come and go, but religion will last
forever, for in no other endeavor does the consumer
blame himself for product failure."

Mustang

Jul 15, 2002, 6:46:37 PM7/15/02
The Eagle has landed :-)

Landed at 17:33, and parked at 17:37, local time. 8 minutes ago UK time.

Right, I can go bed now :-)

-Mustang

Cookiebear

Jul 16, 2002, 2:27:40 AM7/16/02

Don't worry I'm sure they'll come around in time. Just keep quietly
working away at them. ;-)

And if you are feeling that way, at least you are the most lovely and
charming 14 year old that ever graced the world with her presence. :-)

-Cookiebear

Cookiebear

Jul 16, 2002, 2:32:10 AM7/16/02
> >Meanwile, I feel like I'm fourteen years old again!
> >
> Back to the bunny slippers, eh? :-)

What? I wear pink bunny slippers. 'Back' indeed!
No ones parting me from my pink bunny slippers! ;-)

-Cookiebear

m durnyss

Jul 16, 2002, 2:53:15 AM7/16/02

"Sas" <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
OE or other newsreader certainly should use less connection time because you can
do a quick sync then read and compose offline.

I’m not sure I understand why you can’t use OE on the other machine. If your
connection on the other computer doesn’t offer Usenet, you can sign up for a free
account at

http://news.cis.dfn.de/

You can then use any newsreader regardless of your ISP.

--dv

m durnyss

Jul 16, 2002, 2:54:07 AM7/16/02

"Arthur Green" <ajg...@REMOVE.iol.ie> wrote in message
I’d advise against it Sas. Those slippers can attract a rather degenerate element.

--dv

Arthur Green

Jul 16, 2002, 6:03:27 PM7/16/02
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:27:04 GMT, Arthur Green <ajg...@REMOVE.iol.ie>
wrote:

[ ... excision ... ]

>It strikes me that you're probably going to spend more time online
>using Google Groups than OE. Google gives you overhead (all that HTML
>formatting) that you don't need to worry about using NNTP. If your
>parents are on a dial-up connection, plugging in Oscar will actually
>save money. I'll be able to dig out/invent some statistics on this in
>a day or so.

Okay, I've done some tests with the alt.cobol newsgroup (it's got to
be useful for something). Retrieving the 24 messages in that newsgroup
from my local NNTP server using Agent requires 133,287 bytes in 127
packets. Retrieving the message bodiess took about 40 seconds without
reading any of them (I draw the line at reading Usenet postings about
Cobol ).

Retrieving a series of messages from Google Groups takes about 2
minutes, 181,746 bytes and 190 packets. Note that I saw fewer message
bodies this way, as I didn't bother wading through all of them.

It looks as if using Google generates at least 35% more network
traffic than a newsreader and takes considerably longer to actually
read the messages you want to read. So using OE on Oscar actually
saves Sas' parents some money :-)

- AG

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror,
murder, bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci,
and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had
500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The
cuckoo clock ..."

Sas

Jul 17, 2002, 3:41:43 PM7/17/02
"m durnyss" <spamle...@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<ah0g14$p5s2m$2...@ID-147560.news.dfncis.de>...

Right. But you see, I don't get to explain this in any detail because
my mum doesn't understand half of what I'm trying to tell her (thanks
for the statistics Arthur (you're wonderful for finding that out for
me!), but I couldn't start tell her about packages and such! She'd
look at me funny!).

I do tell her that I would spend less time online if I could just sync
everything in one go, compose and then send off. But she doesn't seem
to want to listen. She hasn't *exactly* told me no, but seeing how I
have to live here for a while longer, I *need* to keep the peace.

Meanwhile, half of a good thing is better than none of it, I guess.
And I'm not getting any hassles this way, so I'm settling for this....

> I&#8217;m not sure I understand why you can&#8217;t use OE on the other machine. If your
> connection on the other computer doesn&#8217;t offer Usenet, you can sign up for a free

> account at
>
> http://news.cis.dfn.de/
>
> You can then use any newsreader regardless of your ISP.

Actually, this is my dad's work-pc. Except for the internet usage, I
have nothing on here. Not even an email account. I read and write that
online too (praise the lord and hallelujah! for Squirrelmail ;))

Again, it's not ideal, but it's doable. One good thing I did get from
my day of forbidden connection pleasure with Oscar was that I could
empty my mailbox!

I am just waiting with 'bated breath till I get a job. Everything
starts there. Once I get my hands on some money, my masterplan will
kick into action (and my so-called life will resume after the popcorn
break ;))

Thanks for the support you guys. And Arthur, it's good to see you
again!

Sas

PS my parents don't have ADSL (I wish), I even offered to have them
connected when I do earn some money, and they said "no"!!! (can you
*believe* it?!)

I get it though, we might have to move any month now, and they don't
want to connect and have to leave it behind. Besides that, I don't
have any money *just* yet...

(But there's something in the works)(is taking a while though :(
<pre-emptive Izzy-strike: this is not an emoticon with a big mouth!> )
(Probably have an interview july 30th...)

Mustang

Jul 18, 2002, 6:18:19 PM7/18/02
Sas <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Right. But you see, I don't get to explain this in any detail because
> my mum doesn't understand half of what I'm trying to tell her (thanks
> for the statistics Arthur (you're wonderful for finding that out for
> me!), but I couldn't start tell her about packages and such! She'd
> look at me funny!).

You mean... urm... <ducks>... 'packets', don't you? ;)

> I am just waiting with 'bated breath till I get a job. Everything
> starts there. Once I get my hands on some money, my masterplan will
> kick into action (and my so-called life will resume after the popcorn
> break ;))

When will the curtain finally come up on mine, then? I'm bored of waiting
for the start! ;)

> PS my parents don't have ADSL (I wish), I even offered to have them
> connected when I do earn some money, and they said "no"!!! (can you
> *believe* it?!)

Yep. A couple of my friends have right awkward parents when it comes to the
internet. Lots of bad preconceptions out there, I think.

> (But there's something in the works)(is taking a while though :(
> <pre-emptive Izzy-strike: this is not an emoticon with a big mouth!> )
> (Probably have an interview july 30th...)

And just so you know, I'll probably (well, definitely) be over on July 31st.
So I hope they don't want you to start right away if things turn out well
and you get the job! :) And I also hope they don't call you up for
interview on July 31st or August 1st/2nd, instead.

-Mustang

Sas

Jul 19, 2002, 11:21:09 AM7/19/02
"Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<6dHZ8.2884$gG2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...

> Sas <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Right. But you see, I don't get to explain this in any detail because
> > my mum doesn't understand half of what I'm trying to tell her (thanks
> > for the statistics Arthur (you're wonderful for finding that out for
> > me!), but I couldn't start tell her about packages and such! She'd
> > look at me funny!).
>
> You mean... urm... <ducks>... 'packets', don't you? ;)

Yes, well, *whatever*! That's what I mean, I half know what it's about
(although I do know the correct word for it in Dutch, and that's the
language I would explain it in to my mum, obviously), so how can you
expect half an idiot to explain something to an idiot? (only
computerwise though, only computerwise))

> > I am just waiting with 'bated breath till I get a job. Everything
> > starts there. Once I get my hands on some money, my masterplan will
> > kick into action (and my so-called life will resume after the popcorn
> > break ;))
>
> When will the curtain finally come up on mine, then? I'm bored of waiting
> for the start! ;)

Tomorrow! ("...tomorrow, I love you tomorrow..." ;))

> > PS my parents don't have ADSL (I wish), I even offered to have them
> > connected when I do earn some money, and they said "no"!!! (can you
> > *believe* it?!)
>
> Yep. A couple of my friends have right awkward parents when it comes to the
> internet. Lots of bad preconceptions out there, I think.

Yes, you axe-murderer you ;) Or wait, were you the one with the online
porn emporium?? ;)

> And just so you know, I'll probably (well, definitely) be over on July 31st.
> So I hope they don't want you to start right away if things turn out well
> and you get the job! :) And I also hope they don't call you up for
> interview on July 31st or August 1st/2nd, instead.
>
> -Mustang

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just went for an interviewthingie today, and got a job for that
week!!!!!!!!

From monday 29-7 to friday 2-8 I am working!!!!! You said you were
coming mid-August!!! That <pointing to Martyn's post> is *not*
mid-August!!!

My interviewthingie got planned in the late afternoon of the 30th, so
I can go straight out of my one job to the interview for the next.

*And* my precious parents are taking me along on a trip to France for
four days (because they know I can't afford a holiday) from the 4th of
August to the 7th...

NONONONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

YOU SAID MID-AUGUST! You bastard!!!

Sas
-- steam coming out of ears, as am on total overload...

(just so we're clear: you're not *actually* a bastard, I just need to
scream at you for a bit, because I *really* wanted to spend time with
you, and now, somehow, within two days suddenly my schedule is all
crammed together in a mush at the end of July and the beginning of
August)

Couldn't you come, say a week later? One week? Like Thursday the 8th?
<gets down on knees, grabs Mustang by his left trouserleg in desparate
fashion> Puh-leeeeze?

Mustang

Jul 20, 2002, 10:08:22 AM7/20/02
Sas <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:<6dHZ8.2884$gG2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...
>>
>> You mean... urm... <ducks>... 'packets', don't you? ;)
>
> Yes, well, *whatever*! That's what I mean, I half know what it's about
> (although I do know the correct word for it in Dutch, and that's the
> language I would explain it in to my mum, obviously), so how can you
> expect half an idiot to explain something to an idiot? (only
> computerwise though, only computerwise))

Hehe, sorry, just pulling your little old leg :)

>>> I am just waiting with 'bated breath till I get a job. Everything
>>> starts there. Once I get my hands on some money, my masterplan will
>>> kick into action (and my so-called life will resume after the popcorn
>>> break ;))
>>
>> When will the curtain finally come up on mine, then? I'm bored of waiting
>> for the start! ;)
>
> Tomorrow! ("...tomorrow, I love you tomorrow..." ;))

Oh? ;)

No, what's that off? Annie? I can't think of anything else with someone
singing about 'tomorrow' a lot :)

>> Yep. A couple of my friends have right awkward parents when it comes to
>> the internet. Lots of bad preconceptions out there, I think.
>
> Yes, you axe-murderer you ;) Or wait, were you the one with the online
> porn emporium?? ;)

Yes, shhh ;-)

>> And just so you know, I'll probably (well, definitely) be over on July
>> 31st. So I hope they don't want you to start right away if things turn
>> out well and you get the job! :) And I also hope they don't call you up
>> for interview on July 31st or August 1st/2nd, instead.
>>
>> -Mustang
>
> OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I just went for an interviewthingie today, and got a job for that
> week!!!!!!!!

Now that was a stupid thing to go and do... ;-)

> From monday 29-7 to friday 2-8 I am working!!!!! You said you were
> coming mid-August!!! That <pointing to Martyn's post> is *not*
> mid-August!!!

I think I told you in the middle of last week that it would probably end up
being at the start of the month, but it was nothing definite at the time.

> My interviewthingie got planned in the late afternoon of the 30th, so
> I can go straight out of my one job to the interview for the next.
>
> *And* my precious parents are taking me along on a trip to France for
> four days (because they know I can't afford a holiday) from the 4th of
> August to the 7th...

I haven't been able to afford a holiday for... well... ever, and my parents
haven't taken me on one since 6 years ago. Hmf... <folds arms> ;)

Honestly... I get no share of the hugs, no share of the female populace, and
no share of free holidays! Life's so unfair! ;)

> NONONONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
>
> YOU SAID MID-AUGUST! You bastard!!!

It's David's fault, not mine - I can go any bloody time, me :)

> Sas
> -- steam coming out of ears, as am on total overload...
>
> (just so we're clear: you're not *actually* a bastard,

Well, I used to think that, but I reckon it's open to discussion now...

> I just need to
> scream at you for a bit, because I *really* wanted to spend time with
> you, and now, somehow, within two days suddenly my schedule is all
> crammed together in a mush at the end of July and the beginning of
> August)
>
> Couldn't you come, say a week later? One week? Like Thursday the 8th?
> <gets down on knees, grabs Mustang by his left trouserleg in desparate
> fashion> Puh-leeeeze?

I forward this message onto Dave last night, and spoke to him earlier, but
we can't, no. He's got two trips to Germany and Belgium with work, and it
was a pain to get it arranged at all. As it happened, it was workable if it
was that week. His supervisor wanted to move the Germany trip forward a
week, but that would've left no time for a holiday. We have to fly on a
Tue/Wed, to get the cheapest flights. Otherwise we could fit it in from a
Sat-Sat kind of thing. We have to use two halves of a working week, though,
really, and it just hasn't worked out with the silly work crappy Ford Motor
Company want him to do!

I can go anytime, but he can't. There is next to no chance that he can
rearrange things now (I'm trying to get him to try, and he's going to call
me later about it), but... no, I'm sure we can't come another time. I guess
I can see you on Saturday the 3rd, if you're not too busy preparing for your
little holiday, but that's not really going to be all that great or long.
And we're not going to have much of a guide for the rest of the trip. And
I'm going to have to spend all the rest of the time with *just* David for
company. How unbearable ;)

Oh pants, is all I can say :(

-Mustang

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 21, 2002, 6:43:29 PM7/21/02

"Cookiebear" <na...@peeoff.org> wrote in message
You would! Heh!

Oh, GF4 Ti4600 died. And the 2nd exchange was doing the same. Bad
memory. Nvidia has Alzheimers! No, that's PNY.
Have Radeon 8500 128meg for the time being.
Mike

---

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 21, 2002, 6:45:36 PM7/21/02

"Cookiebear" <na...@peeoff.org> wrote in message
That was very good CB! I can see her beaming smile all the way down
here, 4/5 ths of the way to Peru!!!
McG.

---

Cookiebear

Jul 22, 2002, 2:11:44 AM7/22/02
> > -snipo
> >
> > > Remember to not have a seat where there are leeches. That could
be
> > > embarassing. Take care Nick, I want ya back here in one piece!
> > > Mike
> > >

> > Yes many's the time I've seen a barrel marked 'leeches' and I've
just
> > had to go sit in it. ;-)
> >
> > -Cookiebear
> >

> You would! Heh!

It only makes sense. ;-)

> Oh, GF4 Ti4600 died. And the 2nd exchange was doing the same. Bad
> memory. Nvidia has Alzheimers! No, that's PNY.
> Have Radeon 8500 128meg for the time being.
> Mike

Yes I happened to see your drama in the Nvidia NG. ;-)
Sounds like PNY (who ever the hell they are) have substandard boards.
Which would be sort of ok if they weren't selling them at the usual sky
high Ti4600 price.
Anyway, that new ATI 9700 series line of cards looks damn good. Faster
than even the GF4 Ti4600.
And they are still tweaking the drivers yet. I don't know how much they
will want for them though.
The 8500 looks like a really nice card, and it's got 'true form' on it.
Which is rather nice.
At least your shop seems quite understanding. :-)

-Cookiebear

Sas

Jul 22, 2002, 3:02:34 PM7/22/02
"Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<tde_8.2554$nU.2...@news11-gui.server.ntli.net>...

> Sas <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> > message news:<6dHZ8.2884$gG2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...
> Hehe, sorry, just pulling your little old leg :)

Hmpf! I'll have you know that my leg is *not* old. ;)

> >> When will the curtain finally come up on mine, then? I'm bored of waiting
> >> for the start! ;)
> >
> > Tomorrow! ("...tomorrow, I love you tomorrow..." ;))
>
> Oh? ;)
>
> No, what's that off? Annie? I can't think of anything else with someone
> singing about 'tomorrow' a lot :)

Yes! Annie! I don't even like it, but it's what i immediately thought
of when typing tomorrow...

<snipsome>

> >> And just so you know, I'll probably (well, definitely) be over on July
> >> 31st. So I hope they don't want you to start right away if things turn
> >> out well and you get the job! :) And I also hope they don't call you up
> >> for interview on July 31st or August 1st/2nd, instead.
> >>
> >> -Mustang
> >
> > OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > I just went for an interviewthingie today, and got a job for that
> > week!!!!!!!!
>
> Now that was a stupid thing to go and do... ;-)

Hah, but at least I'll earn some money, pecunia, dough, dosh, green,
ka-*tsjing*!

> > From monday 29-7 to friday 2-8 I am working!!!!! You said you were
> > coming mid-August!!! That <pointing to Martyn's post> is *not*
> > mid-August!!!
>
> I think I told you in the middle of last week that it would probably end up
> being at the start of the month, but it was nothing definite at the time.

Oh. Must've missed that small announcement then :(

Today my mum suddenly wanted to leave on Saturday, instead of Sunday,
because from Nieuwegein to Nice it's about a 12 hours drive... But I
said *noOOO* because that was supposed to be *our* day. And my dad
said if i couldn't, then we'd stillgo Sunday.

So we're set :)

<snip>

> Honestly... I get no share of the hugs, no share of the female populace, and
> no share of free holidays! Life's so unfair! ;)

Well, romantic involvements just tend to get people hurt, so you're
better of anyways.

*What*? <looks around circle of AGT friends looking funny at her> So
I've got a bruised love-life, what of it?!

<snip>

> > Couldn't you come, say a week later? One week? Like Thursday the 8th?
> > <gets down on knees, grabs Mustang by his left trouserleg in desparate
> > fashion> Puh-leeeeze?
>
> I forward this message onto Dave last night, and spoke to him earlier, but
> we can't, no. He's got two trips to Germany and Belgium with work, and it
> was a pain to get it arranged at all. As it happened, it was workable if it
> was that week. His supervisor wanted to move the Germany trip forward a
> week, but that would've left no time for a holiday. We have to fly on a
> Tue/Wed, to get the cheapest flights. Otherwise we could fit it in from a
> Sat-Sat kind of thing. We have to use two halves of a working week, though,
> really, and it just hasn't worked out with the silly work crappy Ford Motor
> Company want him to do!

Hey, at least he's got a job :) It's more than I can say at the
moment... (nearly there... nearly!)(maybe)

> I can go anytime, but he can't. There is next to no chance that he can
> rearrange things now (I'm trying to get him to try, and he's going to call
> me later about it), but... no, I'm sure we can't come another time. I guess
> I can see you on Saturday the 3rd, if you're not too busy preparing for your
> little holiday, but that's not really going to be all that great or long.
> And we're not going to have much of a guide for the rest of the trip. And
> I'm going to have to spend all the rest of the time with *just* David for
> company. How unbearable ;)
>
> Oh pants, is all I can say :(
>
> -Mustang

What did you think of the little itinerary I thought up for you then?
We could meet up on Wednesday, and spend the day together Saturday?

Sas

Mustang

Jul 22, 2002, 7:32:53 PM7/22/02
Sas <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Hehe, sorry, just pulling your little old leg :)
>
> Hmpf! I'll have you know that my leg is *not* old. ;)

My apologies. Just pulling your little spring-chicken leg :)

>>> Tomorrow! ("...tomorrow, I love you tomorrow..." ;))
>>
>> Oh? ;)
>>
>> No, what's that off? Annie? I can't think of anything else with someone
>> singing about 'tomorrow' a lot :)
>
> Yes! Annie! I don't even like it, but it's what i immediately thought
> of when typing tomorrow...

Whoa! I'm *soooo* chuffed at having got a pop culture reference all on my
own! :))) Well kinda :)

>>> I just went for an interviewthingie today, and got a job for that
>>> week!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Now that was a stupid thing to go and do... ;-)
>
> Hah, but at least I'll earn some money, pecunia, dough, dosh, green,
> ka-*tsjing*!

I'm still in shock at the amount of money I am handed each week, actually -
just not used to these 'job' things at all. Why didn't someone tell me
sooner? ;)

Well, my money's going nowhere because of my uni house rent payment, but
it'll build up eventually!

> Today my mum suddenly wanted to leave on Saturday, instead of Sunday,
> because from Nieuwegein to Nice it's about a 12 hours drive... But I
> said *noOOO* because that was supposed to be *our* day. And my dad
> said if i couldn't, then we'd stillgo Sunday.
>
> So we're set :)

Good :) And I bet neither of your parents have any idea about what you're
*actually* going to be doing on Saturday, have they? :-) (The axe-murderers
off the internet thing... ;) )

>> Honestly... I get no share of the hugs, no share of the female populace,
>> and no share of free holidays! Life's so unfair! ;)
>
> Well, romantic involvements just tend to get people hurt, so you're
> better of anyways.

But I can still have the free holidays, surely??! ;)

> *What*? <looks around circle of AGT friends looking funny at her> So
> I've got a bruised love-life, what of it?!

Well it's a daft thing to tell me of all people at the minute, anyway! I'm
not sure what's bruised exactly with me, but it's very bruised...

> Hey, at least he's got a job :) It's more than I can say at the
> moment... (nearly there... nearly!)(maybe)

No no, he's just on his year in industry from university - Ford sponsor him,
so he gets some free money to go along with his already-ample amount whilst
at uni, and then they pay him a sh*tload for a year when he works for them.
I mean, even as a sponsored student, I believe he gets paid a higher salary
there (where he surfs the net and writes e-mails when bored, which is often)
than my dad does with his job. Make sense? Nup! Meanwhile... I get no free
money, to along with my huge overdraft of anti-money. Life's as fair as
usual... ;)

> What did you think of the little itinerary I thought up for you then?

I thought it was fine, really, yes. Have yet to forward it onto Dave, though
:)

> We could meet up on Wednesday, and spend the day together Saturday?
>
> Sas

We could. And if Rotterdam is boring, we can always go back to Utrecht
Friday afternoon and see you then, too. Unless Saturday and Wednesday
evening is already too much of me for you to take! ;)

-Mustang

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 22, 2002, 9:40:29 PM7/22/02

"Cookiebear" <na...@peeoff.org> wrote in message
That's Circuit City, and Dan The Man (store manager) remembers very well
who is a regular customer that's literally spent thousands of dollars in
HIS store. Taking care of a video card problem is a piddling thing to
do for his Good Customers. He's a guy that knows repeat business runs
retail. He's always nice to money. Er, customers!
I'll likely get one of those R300 boards later, when ATI starts using
.13m die. The current run will have .15m die.
I was leary of PNY, they're too new to the vid card game. But, that was
what was available in a walk in store mostly. The PNY Verto series. If
it had worked, fine. They didn't. I don't really think it's their ram
chips themselves. No, I think it was the mounting method of the chips
that was bad.
The Radeon 8500 128 meg is actually a nice card, and video quality is
above that of Nvidias boards. Doesn't quite have the framerates in 3D
stuff, but it doesn't miss them by THAT much!
It runs Q3A 1.31 faster than the GF4 did. It runs Morrowind a tad
slower. It runs Unreal and UT about the same speeds, but screws some
background textures up bad. Must be a setting I've missed.
BUT, I'm happy. 8500 128 meg is half the price of the Ti4600, so I left
the store with the 8500, and a new copy of W98SE full retail for the
same money as the GF4 was.
McG.

Cookiebear

Jul 23, 2002, 7:46:04 AM7/23/02

-snipo

Is that compared to the GF4 Ti600?
That's very good performance if it is. That's almost on par performance
for half, or less than half price of the Ti600.
I'd stick with it and tell Nvidia to go bugger off. ;-)
And then go for the Radeon 9700 or the new Nvida card coming out at the
end of the year.
Those are the 'good' Doom 3 cards.
The "unreal" texture problem might be a driver thing.
But I would think that they would have that sort of thing working ok on
a game like UT by this stage.
If not then they are still being put behind by their drivers.

-Cookiebear
'Vae puto deus fio'

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 25, 2002, 9:20:43 PM7/25/02

"Cookiebear" <na...@peeoff.org> wrote in message
ATI is just now beginning to really catch up on the drivers issues.
They now have a drivers team, doing....drivers! Heh! the latest ones I
have work pretty good. For the R8500 that is.
I still want a GF4 Ti4600 that works. Yeah, the 8500 compared to the
Ti4600 isn't THAT bad. Not like some folks would want you to think.
The Radeon 8500 128 meg is supposed to be on level with the GF3. I
never had a GF3, I went from GF2GTS to GF4 Ti4600, then to Radeon 8500.
Don't kid yourself, if the Ti4600 works right, it's a great card. The
8500 DOES work right, and it's a great card....expecially for $199.00
US!!!!

Cookiebear

Jul 26, 2002, 4:47:17 AM7/26/02
-Snipo

Yes it really does seem like a nice card.
Those Nvidia supporters seem to be the most evangelical and blind bunch
hardware wise. Maybe even more so than <gasp> Mac heads! ;-)
I've been thinking about getting a GF Ti4200. It's ok, performance
almost as good as a Ti4600. But not comparable of course.
And the specific card that I'm looking at has an adapter for the digital
flat screen port so I can use a CRT monitor on it. So if I got that one
I could have two monitors.
Which would be quite handy.

We should wind this conversation up fast, we don't want Silver getting
back to find that her Peru thread has turned into an awful thing on PC
video cards and silly meaningless letters and numbers. ;-)

-Cookiebear

'CTA2500MXTEi400BFXi450xi100SL184THX559ID4'

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 28, 2002, 3:55:03 AM7/28/02
--snip--snip--snip--

> Yes it really does seem like a nice card.
> Those Nvidia supporters seem to be the most evangelical and blind
bunch
> hardware wise. Maybe even more so than <gasp> Mac heads! ;-)
> I've been thinking about getting a GF Ti4200. It's ok, performance
> almost as good as a Ti4600. But not comparable of course.
> And the specific card that I'm looking at has an adapter for the
digital
> flat screen port so I can use a CRT monitor on it. So if I got that
one
> I could have two monitors.
> Which would be quite handy.
>
> We should wind this conversation up fast, we don't want Silver getting
> back to find that her Peru thread has turned into an awful thing on PC
> video cards and silly meaningless letters and numbers. ;-)
>
> -Cookiebear
>
> 'CTA2500MXTEi400BFXi450xi100SL184THX559ID4'

Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a heartbeat.
The 8500 can't do the framerates the GF4's do. And, in Q3, when I maxed
out the quality settings, it halved the framerates for the 8500 (down to
81.6 from 168.0!!!) and the Ti4600 got 141.6 with maxed out settings.
Same res, color depth, opsys. Morrowind is a bit jerkier in the slow
places outside. But the picture is great.
The Radeon 8500 128 meg I got also has the same 3 connectors on the back
that the Ti4600 did. BUT, the Radeon comes with the adapter for DVI>VGA
and CABLES for SVid etc. So, if I want, I can set another CRT up here
on the desk. Like I got plenty of room here or something! Tombraider.
I gotta go see if all my Tombraider stuff will work with it. Should,
but no guarantees, right?
Mike
PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in Texas tho!

Mustang

Jul 28, 2002, 10:29:50 AM7/28/02
McGrandpa [AGQx] <mmccol...@NOThouston.rr.com> wrote:

>> We should wind this conversation up fast, we don't want Silver getting
>> back to find that her Peru thread has turned into an awful thing on PC
>> video cards and silly meaningless letters and numbers. ;-)
>>
>> -Cookiebear
>>
>> 'CTA2500MXTEi400BFXi450xi100SL184THX559ID4'
>>
> Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a heartbeat.

Yey - CB noticed. I was about to post the same! :)
And *you*, Mike, with that attitude, you're just... contemptible!!! ;-)

> PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
> I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in Texas tho!

Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going to be much
of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?

It's bloody hot over here lately, too. I write to you sitting here in just
my shorts! Hope I haven't made anyone's drinks make an emergency exit
through their nose there, btw ;-)

-Mustang

Lady

Jul 28, 2002, 5:48:24 PM7/28/02
> >> We should wind this conversation up fast, we don't want Silver getting
> >> back to find that her Peru thread has turned into an awful thing on PC
> >> video cards and silly meaningless letters and numbers. ;-)

...What? Oh, Id be too busy wading through the thousands of posts that
had accumulated in my absence. Or not, as the case may be, because you
all seem to shut up when Im gone ;)

> >> -Cookiebear
> >>
> >> 'CTA2500MXTEi400BFXi450xi100SL184THX559ID4'
> >>
> > Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a heartbeat.

Eh, what? Im supposed to turn it round to Peru? Ive just spent twenty
minutes registering on Google, you know, on the second floor of a
vegetarian cafe in Cabina Ocho, its costing me a whole 2 and a half
soles PER HOUR (Exchange rate=Approx. 5 soles to the sterling, 3 to
the $), and you want me to turn some random conversation about serial
numbers (I confess to having joined this deviated thread rather late)
back to one about Peru?!

> Yey - CB noticed. I was about to post the same! :)
> And *you*, Mike, with that attitude, you're just... contemptible!!! ;-)
>
> > PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
> > I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in Texas tho!

Nice of you, Mike. Youve got my mail now, I guess. It is Winter, but
here that just stands for slightly less hot than normal during the
day, yes. A bit bloody cold at altitude at night though. Thermal long
johns and a four season sleeping bag - NOT sexy.

> Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going to be much
> of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?

The difference is mainly in the jungle. There, it is now winter, or
the "dry" season, apparently. Which means it rains only once, twice,
or three times a day, as opposed to constantly and without
interruption ;)

> It's bloody hot over here lately, too. I write to you sitting here in just
> my shorts! Hope I haven't made anyone's drinks make an emergency exit
> through their nose there, btw ;-)

You British and Texans alike enjoy your hot weather. Get a nice tan.
Im well on my way to passing for Peruvian already, despite the sun
cream. The dust which coats you in a thick layer whenever you walk up
here makes for great UV protection, anyway.

I have to see a man about a boat now. Already every hostel in Peru has
my name on record somewhere, and most of them have laughed at me at
some point.

Here is the joke, for those of you endowed with Spanish speaking
talent:

Yo: Quiero reservar camas para veintedos personas para hoy.
El: ¿Perdon? ¿Cuantos personas?
Yo: Veintedos.
El: Dos?
Yo: Veintedos.
El: Doce?
Yo: VEINTEdos.
pause
El: Hahahahaha (Click)

This happens to me about six times a day. I am very suspicious about
tomorrow nights arrangements in Chiclayo because the first person I
called said "Vale, si, tenemos veintedos." (Yeah, fine, I have 22.)
"....Oh?" I say, raising an eyebrow. Theres no way to argue with the
man from here, though. Were going to end up on mattresses...the place
last night gave us the family bedrooms, and they slept in a tent in
the back garden. I didnt even realise until the morning. I even went
out for a drink with the hostel owners son last night, and he never
mentioned that he had been evicted from his house and was living in a
yellow tent under the washing line. I might never have known if a
phone somewhere in our room hadnt gone off, and a panic stricken
Spanish teenager had not appeared to answer it, apologising to the
caller for the chatter of the "extranjeros" in the background. Ah,
well. Marginally warmer than tents.

Im going to have a quick look round the NG, wasting time before the
mercado reopens after the afternoon siesta. I have about a week of
travelling ahead, so I have to stock up on water and drugs. I reckon
my next Internet stop will be Iquitos.

Dont waste time on PCs. Play more Tomb Raider, or go raiding. Its a
happy life.

Nick x

Cookiebear

Jul 29, 2002, 11:21:50 AM7/29/02

> ...What? Oh, Id be too busy wading through the thousands of posts that
> had accumulated in my absence. Or not, as the case may be, because you
> all seem to shut up when Im gone ;)

Well I wasn't counting on you being all seeing and all knowing, I'll
make a note of it for future reference. ;-)
And me shut up? Maybe.
But if a CB falls and no Silver is around to hear it does it make any
noise? ;-)
I can't remember what the answer is to that one. ;-)

> > > Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a
heartbeat.

> Eh, what? Im supposed to turn it round to Peru? Ive just spent twenty
> minutes registering on Google, you know, on the second floor of a
> vegetarian cafe in Cabina Ocho, its costing me a whole 2 and a half
> soles PER HOUR (Exchange rate=Approx. 5 soles to the sterling, 3 to
> the $), and you want me to turn some random conversation about serial
> numbers (I confess to having joined this deviated thread rather late)
> back to one about Peru?!

You do seem to have managed. ;-) Except it's now talk of currency
conversion.
And our dollar is depressingly close to a sole. ;-)

> > Yey - CB noticed. I was about to post the same! :)
> > And *you*, Mike, with that attitude, you're just... contemptible!!!
;-)

> > > PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
> > > I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in
Texas tho!

> Nice of you, Mike. Youve got my mail now, I guess. It is Winter, but
> here that just stands for slightly less hot than normal during the
> day, yes. A bit bloody cold at altitude at night though. Thermal long
> johns and a four season sleeping bag - NOT sexy.

Yes you're taking formal eveningwear next time and that's final. ;-)
Well what can I say, it's what I'd bring. ;-)

> > Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going to
be much
> > of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?
>
> The difference is mainly in the jungle. There, it is now winter, or
> the "dry" season, apparently. Which means it rains only once, twice,
> or three times a day, as opposed to constantly and without
> interruption ;)
>
> > It's bloody hot over here lately, too. I write to you sitting here
in just
> > my shorts! Hope I haven't made anyone's drinks make an emergency
exit
> > through their nose there, btw ;-)
>
> You British and Texans alike enjoy your hot weather. Get a nice tan.
> Im well on my way to passing for Peruvian already, despite the sun
> cream. The dust which coats you in a thick layer whenever you walk up
> here makes for great UV protection, anyway.

Yes while we NZ'ers hang in the nearest church bell tower during the
day, and prey on the people of the village at nightfall. ;-)

> I have to see a man about a boat now. Already every hostel in Peru has
> my name on record somewhere, and most of them have laughed at me at
> some point.
>
> Here is the joke, for those of you endowed with Spanish speaking
> talent:
>
> Yo: Quiero reservar camas para veintedos personas para hoy.
> El: ¿Perdon? ¿Cuantos personas?
> Yo: Veintedos.
> El: Dos?
> Yo: Veintedos.
> El: Doce?
> Yo: VEINTEdos.
> pause
> El: Hahahahaha (Click)

You could try splitting up and staying in separate places?
But I suppose it's just a lot easier if you are all together.

> This happens to me about six times a day. I am very suspicious about
> tomorrow nights arrangements in Chiclayo because the first person I
> called said "Vale, si, tenemos veintedos." (Yeah, fine, I have 22.)
> "....Oh?" I say, raising an eyebrow. Theres no way to argue with the
> man from here, though. Were going to end up on mattresses...the place
> last night gave us the family bedrooms, and they slept in a tent in
> the back garden. I didnt even realise until the morning. I even went
> out for a drink with the hostel owners son last night, and he never
> mentioned that he had been evicted from his house and was living in a
> yellow tent under the washing line. I might never have known if a
> phone somewhere in our room hadnt gone off, and a panic stricken
> Spanish teenager had not appeared to answer it, apologising to the
> caller for the chatter of the "extranjeros" in the background. Ah,
> well. Marginally warmer than tents.

I suppose this is one of their busy seasons so they want to make the
most of it.
Oh well, I'm sure they'll be happy to have the money. And you all get to
have a break from sleeping in a tent for a bit.

> Im going to have a quick look round the NG, wasting time before the
> mercado reopens after the afternoon siesta. I have about a week of
> travelling ahead, so I have to stock up on water and drugs. I reckon
> my next Internet stop will be Iquitos.

Ok then, I shall look forward to the next 'I'm still alive bulletin'.
;-)

> Dont waste time on PCs. Play more Tomb Raider, or go raiding. Its a
> happy life.

Or sleep, sleep is another good one. ;-)

> Nick x

-Cookiebear

Mustang

Jul 29, 2002, 3:06:20 PM7/29/02
Lady <nick.ma...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going to be
>> much of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?
>
> The difference is mainly in the jungle. There, it is now winter, or
> the "dry" season, apparently. Which means it rains only once, twice,
> or three times a day, as opposed to constantly and without
> interruption ;)

Home from home like a British winter, then. Ah, you'll be fine! ;)

> You British and Texans alike enjoy your hot weather. Get a nice tan.

I am white or red. I don't do brown very easily...

We're having a truly *massive* downpour right now, anyway. I don't think
I've ever seen one quite like this. Puts the wet season in the jungle to
shame, I'll bet ;)

> Im well on my way to passing for Peruvian already, despite the sun
> cream. The dust which coats you in a thick layer whenever you walk up
> here makes for great UV protection, anyway.

After passing for Egyptian by default, and now reaching Peruvian, I just
suggest you don't go to Africa ;)

> Here is the joke, for those of you endowed with Spanish speaking
> talent:

<snip>

Not at all, but I somehow managed :)

> Dont waste time on PCs. Play more Tomb Raider, or go raiding. Its a
> happy life.

Ah, so you wouldn't say wandering around a land full of weird Dutch people
is on the to-do list in life? Oh well then... ;)

-Mustang

Sas

Jul 30, 2002, 8:54:09 AM7/30/02
nick.ma...@ntlworld.com (Lady) wrote in message news:<8cd80e53.02072...@posting.google.com>...

<points at PC enthusiastically> Ooh, look, it's Nick!

The one evening when I decided not to Google-torture myself, Silver's
in here!!!

Thanks for having your wonderful emails forwarded, btw. It's good to
hear from you :) (my normal email *is* working, btw, I just read it
online, instead of downloading it through OE)(s DOT gouw AT out HYPHEN
of HYPHEN focus DOT nl)(to perhaps save CB, Mike and Mustang the
trouble of forwarding everything)

Have to go now, interview in a little over half an hour.

Love and hugs, talk to you later!!

Sas

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 31, 2002, 7:21:21 PM7/31/02
message news:7yT09.1764$Gq4....@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...

> McGrandpa [AGQx] <mmccol...@NOThouston.rr.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We should wind this conversation up fast, we don't want Silver
getting
> >> back to find that her Peru thread has turned into an awful thing on
PC
> >> video cards and silly meaningless letters and numbers. ;-)
> >>
> >> -Cookiebear
> >>
> >> 'CTA2500MXTEi400BFXi450xi100SL184THX559ID4'
> >>
> > Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a
heartbeat.

> Yey - CB noticed. I was about to post the same! :)
> And *you*, Mike, with that attitude, you're just... contemptible!!!
;-)

No it ain't! She be just that perfunctory in lining things out
straight!
McG.

> > PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
> > I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in Texas
tho!

> Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going to
be much
> of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?
>
> It's bloody hot over here lately, too. I write to you sitting here in
just
> my shorts! Hope I haven't made anyone's drinks make an emergency exit
> through their nose there, btw ;-)

LOL! Hey, don't ya'll know what 'window units' are? ;o)

> -Mustang

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 31, 2002, 7:32:39 PM7/31/02

"Lady" <nick.ma...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> ...What? Oh, Id be too busy wading through the thousands of posts that
> had accumulated in my absence. Or not, as the case may be, because you
> all seem to shut up when Im gone ;)

> > > Har! She'd get over it. And turn it right back to Peru in a
heartbeat.

Nooooo....you WOULD simply put the cart back on the rails, that's all.
M :o)

> Eh, what? Im supposed to turn it round to Peru? Ive just spent twenty
> minutes registering on Google, you know, on the second floor of a
> vegetarian cafe in Cabina Ocho, its costing me a whole 2 and a half
> soles PER HOUR (Exchange rate=Approx. 5 soles to the sterling, 3 to
> the $), and you want me to turn some random conversation about serial
> numbers (I confess to having joined this deviated thread rather late)
> back to one about Peru?!
>
> > Yey - CB noticed. I was about to post the same! :)
> > And *you*, Mike, with that attitude, you're just... contemptible!!!
;-)

> > > PS- wish she would communicate again. Guess they pushed on?
> > > I think now is Winter in Peru anyway. Heat of Summer here in
Texas tho!

> Nice of you, Mike. Youve got my mail now, I guess. It is Winter, but
> here that just stands for slightly less hot than normal during the
> day, yes. A bit bloody cold at altitude at night though. Thermal long
> johns and a four season sleeping bag - NOT sexy.

Maybe not sexy, but beats the heck outta trying to sleep all night while
you're shivering! I know there is enough altitude in some of the
mountains to have 'permafrost', that's where they've been finding the
nearly perfectly preserved mummies. I'd say up that high, it don't get
warm.

BEINTE-dos? Twenty two. Pronounce it like that. OH! The joke is to
find a building with that many rooms in it! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha!
<DOH! McG. a little slow...lately>

> This happens to me about six times a day. I am very suspicious about
> tomorrow nights arrangements in Chiclayo because the first person I
> called said "Vale, si, tenemos veintedos." (Yeah, fine, I have 22.)
> "....Oh?" I say, raising an eyebrow. Theres no way to argue with the
> man from here, though. Were going to end up on mattresses...the place
> last night gave us the family bedrooms, and they slept in a tent in
> the back garden. I didnt even realise until the morning. I even went
> out for a drink with the hostel owners son last night, and he never
> mentioned that he had been evicted from his house and was living in a
> yellow tent under the washing line. I might never have known if a
> phone somewhere in our room hadnt gone off, and a panic stricken
> Spanish teenager had not appeared to answer it, apologising to the
> caller for the chatter of the "extranjeros" in the background. Ah,
> well. Marginally warmer than tents.
>
> Im going to have a quick look round the NG, wasting time before the
> mercado reopens after the afternoon siesta. I have about a week of
> travelling ahead, so I have to stock up on water and drugs. I reckon
> my next Internet stop will be Iquitos.
>
> Dont waste time on PCs. Play more Tomb Raider, or go raiding. Its a
> happy life.
>
> Nick x

MORROWIND!!!
Enjoy the 'raidin Nick!
Mike

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 31, 2002, 7:34:48 PM7/31/02

"Cookiebear" <na...@peeoff.org> wrote in message

You have bats in yer belfry? Heh!

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Jul 31, 2002, 7:37:00 PM7/31/02
message news:rSg19.557$Sc2....@news8-gui.server.ntli.net...

> Lady <nick.ma...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >> Well, she's only a little below the equator, so there's not going
to be
> >> much of a summer/winter difference there at all, is there, surely?
> >
> > The difference is mainly in the jungle. There, it is now winter, or
> > the "dry" season, apparently. Which means it rains only once, twice,
> > or three times a day, as opposed to constantly and without
> > interruption ;)
>
> Home from home like a British winter, then. Ah, you'll be fine! ;)
>
> > You British and Texans alike enjoy your hot weather. Get a nice tan.
>
> I am white or red. I don't do brown very easily...

We could melt some crayons on ya! :o)

> We're having a truly *massive* downpour right now, anyway. I don't
think
> I've ever seen one quite like this. Puts the wet season in the jungle
> shame, I'll bet ;)

No. You haven't seen it *RAIN* yet.

> > Im well on my way to passing for Peruvian already, despite the sun
> > cream. The dust which coats you in a thick layer whenever you walk
up
> > here makes for great UV protection, anyway.
>
> After passing for Egyptian by default, and now reaching Peruvian, I
just
> suggest you don't go to Africa ;)
>
> > Here is the joke, for those of you endowed with Spanish speaking
> > talent:
> <snip>
>
> Not at all, but I somehow managed :)
>
> > Dont waste time on PCs. Play more Tomb Raider, or go raiding. Its a
> > happy life.
>
> Ah, so you wouldn't say wandering around a land full of weird Dutch
people

Nope, they DON'T like 'Americans'.

> is on the to-do list in life? Oh well then... ;)
>
> -Mustang

Sas

Aug 1, 2002, 7:41:24 AM8/1/02
> > Ah, so you wouldn't say wandering around a land full of weird Dutch
> people
> Nope, they DON'T like 'Americans'.

Is this about my reply to your e-mail Mike? <rolls up shirtsleeves,
puts up tiny fists> Wanna have this out with me?

Don't assume to know anything of what the Dutch think of 'Americans'!
(Btw, why the quotemarks?)

I only told you honestly, what I thought, and I said that I have
nothing against the American way of living, America, or any individual
American. I meant that.

I just don't like the over the top patriottism and the
we-are-the-best-country-in-the-world attitude.

You should know better than to think I would *ever* listen to anyone
foulmouthing America or Americans. But I would like for you to also
know better than to send me e-mails about America being the best (and
there was an entire list of things that America is supposedly the best
in).

Besides, you and I, and all the *world* know that it's not Amercia
that's the best regarding everything, it's the Netherlands! So there!
:P

Sas

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Aug 3, 2002, 8:08:01 PM8/3/02

"Sas" <prosciutto_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ahhh. Nope. It was tongue in cheek. I hope I put a wink in there!
I didn't write that thing. And folks like me and LJ and PW and Bruce
and Gary
and even WR would much more likely be your 'common' American. And I
know that most everyone here would be likely to enjoy meeting any of us
over any of the politicians or business types or rich snobs the rest of
the world usually gets to meet.
I've known for many years 'America' isn't very well liked roud the
world. But then, those unfortunate folks haven't met the everyday sort
of folks either. Like ME! Heh!
Roll them shirtsleeves back down li'l Lady...McGrandpa don't cotton to
smacking women. Nope.
McG. :o)

---

Mustang

Aug 10, 2002, 6:18:18 PM8/10/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> Sas :)
>
> -- still thinks the Netherlands are the best country to live in! Am
> thinking of moving to France though ;))

Why's that? (The Netherlands being the best, rather than the moving to
France thing, although that too!)

Yes, it's a nice country, but I'm sure there are better places in the world?
Ones with a more interesting landscape, for a start ;)

Anyhow, I believe I've seen more of Holland than I have of England,
places-of-interest wise. That's quite sad, isn't it?

-Mustang

Mustang

Aug 10, 2002, 6:36:28 PM8/10/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:qlh49.3659$3q.1...@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...
>> Americans are a lot like Microsoft to me. Sure, I like them, they have
> done
>> a many great thing, and I wouldn't wish for them to disappear, but I
> *so*
>> want to give them a good kicking because they really annoy me at times
>> :-)
>>
>> Sorry for the rather violent-sounding demonstration of my feelings
> there :)
>
> <pick self up after laughing self silly>
> Oh, that is the *best* demonstration of feelings I've ever read! I hate
> to repeat myself but... I agree! It's how I feel!

Yes, I was quite pleased with it's effectiveness at conveying my feelings!
:)

> Where did you come *up* with this?

I don't know. Maybe you could ask yourself? You should know, afterall ;)

No, it just... sprung to mine. I love to hate Americans, and that why I take
the mickey out of them a little too much. And same goes for Microsoft. We
all knock them, but at the end of the day, I do use their stuff and like it,
so...

>> Yes - if your public transport and road system is anything to go by,
> then
>> indeed! :)
>
> Heeeheeeee! Look everyone! He's agreeing with me!! What an unexpected
> surprise!! You liked our public transport then? You sure got a big taste
> of it, seeing how you travelled over half the country with it.

Sure did. And of all the buses, trams, and trains I went on, I had one late
train, by about five minutes.

In contrast, of the two single train journeys I did in England to get to
Dave's house and back, and the two flights with the British airline, were
all late! And in the 1.5 hours I sat at the station before going (my lift
had to take me much earlier than my train was due), every train that passed
through the station except *one* was running late. Complete opposites of
Holland. And coming back, I had to ask the lady at the ticket office at
Bedford station which platform I needed to catch my train from, as I
couldn't seem to find it on the information boards or the platforms
themselves. The NS system in Holland is wonderful - standardised,
well-maintained, and just... good. I actually like it a lot, and almost
enjoyed using the public transport over there! :) What's more, it turned
out the train ticket machines that I could use my Switch card with (thanks
to the little 'Maestro' logo), didn't even charge me extra! But it cost me
£1.75 each time I used an ATM. Yes, I'm chuffed with the cool little
multi-lingual, touch-screen train-ticket machines :)

Actually, I'm sure I've used trains in Holland in the past week more than
I've ever used them during my whole life in England. I don't ever use trains
here (don't live near a station, and never travel far anyway). Going to
Dave's was the first time I'd been on one alone. Yes, trains... exciting new
things to me, much like planes are :)

And some of your trains look really cool, and rather mean. And there are
double-decker carriages, which is rather a good idea! And every carriage is
clearly marked first or second class, smoking or non-smoking. It's just...
all really easy and good! :))

But I'm still miffed at having none of my train tickets checked, except for
the very last two journeys, where I had the idea of buying open tickets,
which I could then use on my next visit to Holland, assuming they wouldn't
get checked. But no, only those two got checked and stamped! Pfft...

If I had the foresight, I'd have pairs of tickets to get us from Utrecht, to
Rotterdam, to Den Haag, back to Utrecht, to Amsterdam, back to Utrecht
again, and also each way to Eindhoven! But no, so I'll have to buy some more
next time :)

> Sas :) <still smiling over the Microsoft thing>

I did good, yey! :-)

-Mustang

Sas

Aug 10, 2002, 8:06:43 PM8/10/02
message news:vth59.3083$id3.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...
> Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:

> >> Yes - if your public transport and road system is anything to go
by,
> > then
> >> indeed! :)
> >
> > Heeeheeeee! Look everyone! He's agreeing with me!! What an
unexpected
> > surprise!! You liked our public transport then? You sure got a big
taste
> > of it, seeing how you travelled over half the country with it.
>
> Sure did. And of all the buses, trams, and trains I went on, I had one
late
> train, by about five minutes.

I know. Usually, they're quite good. In all the years that I took the
train (and other public transport) to and from Enschede and Nieuwegein,
the train was late... maybe five to ten times. (But then they were
*really* late, say like more than an hour)

Just the one time when I had my first interview this year, I ended up
being 1,5 hours late due to *all* the trains being late on the way
over... And the replacement train not stopping where I needed to get
off, and then the train back to that station having another delay...)
(horror)

> In contrast, of the two single train journeys I did in England to get
> Dave's house and back, and the two flights with the British airline,
were
> all late! And in the 1.5 hours I sat at the station before going (my
lift
> had to take me much earlier than my train was due), every train that
passed
> through the station except *one* was running late. Complete opposites
of
> Holland. And coming back, I had to ask the lady at the ticket office
at
> Bedford station which platform I needed to catch my train from, as I
> couldn't seem to find it on the information boards or the platforms
> themselves.

When I was trying to take the train to Dulwich from the airport (forget
which one it was), we had a hell of a time finding the right f*cking
platform! It was unclear, badly marked, we got on the wrong train first,
asked a lady in a railroad coat, who gave us grumpy and unclear
directions, pointing vaguely towards three platforms... And not helping
us at all before turning round and walking away... In the end, we
wandered around for an hour and a half, before, exhausted, finally,
finally catching that same lady again, who was even grumpier this time,
but did give clearer directions.

Bloory ell!

> The NS system in Holland is wonderful - standardised,
> well-maintained, and just... good.

Well, I may well be working for them sometime soon...

> I actually like it a lot, and almost
> enjoyed using the public transport over there! :) What's more, it
turned
> out the train ticket machines that I could use my Switch card with
(thanks
> to the little 'Maestro' logo), didn't even charge me extra! But it
cost me
> £1.75 each time I used an ATM. Yes, I'm chuffed with the cool little
> multi-lingual, touch-screen train-ticket machines :)

They're rather new. We used to have the oldfashioned ones with the
buttons. The touchscreen ones do seem to be faster though, so that all
good :)

<snip>

> But I'm still miffed at having none of my train tickets checked,
except for
> the very last two journeys, where I had the idea of buying open
tickets,
> which I could then use on my next visit to Holland, assuming they
wouldn't
> get checked. But no, only those two got checked and stamped! Pfft...

Actually, you can buy open tickets, but you *are* supposed to stamp them
off when you get on the train. There's a stamping machine on the
platform and everything. Didn't the conductor tell you off? If he
didn't, he must've gone easy on you because you were silly foreigners ;)

> If I had the foresight, I'd have pairs of tickets to get us from
Utrecht, to
> Rotterdam, to Den Haag, back to Utrecht, to Amsterdam, back to Utrecht
> again, and also each way to Eindhoven! But no, so I'll have to buy
some more
> next time :)

You might risk getting a fine for not stamping though... Am not being
wet blanket or stick-in-mud, just warning you!

> > Sas :) <still smiling over the Microsoft thing>
>
> I did good, yey! :-)

Well, sorry for starting to disagree here, I'm not violent about it at
all, and I don't go round bitching about America much, or at *all*,
really (I snipped the part where you just said something to that
effect).

I just don't like overzealous patriottism. But that goes for any
country. I believe nearly every country has its good and its bad points.
Even the Netherlands, even the US.

> -Mustang

Sas

Mustang

Aug 11, 2002, 9:49:34 AM8/11/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:vth59.3083$id3.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...
>>
>> Sure did. And of all the buses, trams, and trains I went on, I had one
> late
>> train, by about five minutes.
>
> I know. Usually, they're quite good. In all the years that I took the
> train (and other public transport) to and from Enschede and Nieuwegein,
> the train was late... maybe five to ten times. (But then they were
> *really* late, say like more than an hour)

Well, when you're going to do something, it's best to do it in style ;)

> When I was trying to take the train to Dulwich from the airport (forget
> which one it was), we had a hell of a time finding the right f*cking
> platform! It was unclear, badly marked, we got on the wrong train first,
> asked a lady in a railroad coat, who gave us grumpy and unclear
> directions, pointing vaguely towards three platforms... And not helping
> us at all before turning round and walking away... In the end, we
> wandered around for an hour and a half, before, exhausted, finally,
> finally catching that same lady again, who was even grumpier this time,
> but did give clearer directions.
>
> Bloory ell!

I don't know where Dulwich is. So, um... are we in England with this story?
:)

>> The NS system in Holland is wonderful - standardised,
>> well-maintained, and just... good.
>
> Well, I may well be working for them sometime soon...

Yes, and from what you told me a while ago, I expect that if I was to phone
them from here, you might take the call! :)

> They're rather new. We used to have the oldfashioned ones with the
> buttons. The touchscreen ones do seem to be faster though, so that all
> good :)

Yes, and the older ones only take coins. When we first got to Holland, we
didn't have any coins...

> Actually, you can buy open tickets, but you *are* supposed to stamp them
> off when you get on the train. There's a stamping machine on the
> platform and everything. Didn't the conductor tell you off? If he
> didn't, he must've gone easy on you because you were silly foreigners ;)

No, I had no idea. No one told me that!!! How was I ever supposed to know?
:) I never had to stand around on platform very long either, since the info
boards were so good, and the trains ran so well. When I did, I was usually
eating an icecream or looking at the trains and things anyway :) Didn't see
any stamping machine thingies, nope! Or people doing anything that triggered
my curiosity, which something like that probably would...

Conductor never mentioned anything, either, no...

>> If I had the foresight, I'd have pairs of tickets to get us from
> Utrecht, to
>> Rotterdam, to Den Haag, back to Utrecht, to Amsterdam, back to Utrecht
>> again, and also each way to Eindhoven! But no, so I'll have to buy
> some more
>> next time :)
>
> You might risk getting a fine for not stamping though... Am not being
> wet blanket or stick-in-mud, just warning you!

Well, that's fair enough - the system did seem a little easy to get around
with these open tickets and the low number of ticket checks! I shall know in
future. You told me about the trams (although most people in Amsterdam never
bothered stamping their strippenkaart, but I always did), but not about the
trains and the open tickets! Are you supposed to stamp the 'today only'
tickets too? Obviously you can only use them on that day, but if you make
the same journey twice, you could technically use it again if it didn't get
checked...

>>> Sas :) <still smiling over the Microsoft thing>
>>
>> I did good, yey! :-)
>
> Well, sorry for starting to disagree here, I'm not violent about it at
> all, and I don't go round bitching about America much, or at *all*,
> really (I snipped the part where you just said something to that
> effect).

I meant 'did good' as made you laugh, rather than whatever I actually said,
but :)

I don't bitch about America, I just enjoy having a little poke at them from
time to time, and totally agree with you otherwise. Including the bit
below...

> I just don't like overzealous patriottism. But that goes for any
> country. I believe nearly every country has its good and its bad points.
> Even the Netherlands, even the US.
>

> Sas

Yes, that bit ^

(Just thought I should write something there, rather than just quote it :) )

-Mustang

Sas

Aug 11, 2002, 11:19:04 AM8/11/02
message news:PZt59.1560$mn5....@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

> Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> > "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote
in
> > message news:vth59.3083$id3.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...
> >>
> > In all the years that I took the
> > train (and other public transport) to and from Enschede and
Nieuwegein,
> > the train was late... maybe five to ten times. (But then they were
> > *really* late, say like more than an hour)
>
> Well, when you're going to do something, it's best to do it in style
;)

At least most of the time, I was already on it, with my survival kit in
gear, something to read, something to eat, something to frink, music to
listen to, and spare batteries :)

> > When I was trying to take the train to Dulwich from the airport
(forget
> > which one it was), we had a hell of a time finding the right f*cking
> > platform! It was unclear, badly marked, we got on the wrong train
first,
> > asked a lady in a railroad coat, who gave us grumpy and unclear
> > directions, pointing vaguely towards three platforms... And not
helping
> > us at all before turning round and walking away... In the end, we
> > wandered around for an hour and a half, before, exhausted, finally,
> > finally catching that same lady again, who was even grumpier this
time,
> > but did give clearer directions.
> >
> > Bloory ell!
>
> I don't know where Dulwich is. So, um... are we in England with this
story?
> :)

London, you silly person, London! It's where my friend lives, the dutch
one that's involved with an Englishman. She's one of the nicest people I
know, and they're living in this cute little house, that has a spare
bedroom in my favourite colour :))

> >> The NS system in Holland is wonderful - standardised,
> >> well-maintained, and just... good.
> >
> > Well, I may well be working for them sometime soon...
>
> Yes, and from what you told me a while ago, I expect that if I was to
phone
> them from here, you might take the call! :)

Possibly, yes. It would probably cost a packet though.

The man at the interview said 90% of all calls are in Dutch, btw. 10% is
in a foreign language, and then most of the time in English. I don't
really know if that means that people don't often call from abroad, or
what. Presumably, more often people calling from within the Netherlands.

I suppose the UK traincompanies might have their own phoneline for
international traintravels?

> > They're rather new. We used to have the oldfashioned ones with the
> > buttons. The touchscreen ones do seem to be faster though, so that
all
> > good :)
>
> Yes, and the older ones only take coins. When we first got to Holland,
we
> didn't have any coins...

You could always use your bank card? Or perhaps the older ones didn't
like your UK bank card?

I found that in France, you can't use your bank card for simple PIN
actions in shops. You have to have a credit card (and I don't have one
of those), or pay cash. Here, the bank card does the same job, there's a
machine connected to the cahregister, you pull your card through, type
in your PIN (Personal Identification Number) and you're set :)

You can even 'download' small amounts of cash onto a chip on the card
itself, possible at special machines at most banks, and then you can use
it as change. No typing in of codes required at the store, so it's
quicker. For amounts from 25 guilders to I think 500.

The chip-method isn't very popular yet. I still like real money (makes
me more aware of what I spend if actual money leaves my hands), and
besides, the chip method wasn't available at many stores or other places
yet. So they're still working on that. Oh, and with the Euro coming in
and all, if the money on your chip was still in guilders, you have to
get it off-loaded at the bank first, before being able to use it with
Euros... I haven't done that yet. In fact, I use the damn thing so
little that I've forgotten my chip-code (needed for 'downloading' money
to the chip).

But erm... that's probably way more than anyone ever wanted to know...

> > Actually, you can buy open tickets, but you *are* supposed to stamp
them
> > off when you get on the train. There's a stamping machine on the
> > platform and everything. Didn't the conductor tell you off? If he
> > didn't, he must've gone easy on you because you were silly
foreigners ;)

> No, I had no idea. No one told me that!!! How was I ever supposed to
know?
> :) I never had to stand around on platform very long either, since
the info
> boards were so good, and the trains ran so well. When I did, I was
usually
> eating an icecream or looking at the trains and things anyway :)
Didn't see
> any stamping machine thingies, nope! Or people doing anything that
triggered
> my curiosity, which something like that probably would...

You were eating a lot of ice-creams when you were here weren't you?
Well, with you being as lanky as you are, it's no wonder ;) <hah! I've
wormed the word into conversation yet again! *lol*!>

But what I wanted to say was, I could just imagine you and Dave, open
ticket in one hand, ice-cream in the other, standing around the
platform, seeing a few people pass the stamping machine and going to
investigate.

He's a bit more worldly that you are, having travelled all over Europe
for work and all, but you're still a pair of cute lost boys ;)

<snip>

> Are you supposed to stamp the 'today only'
> tickets too? Obviously you can only use them on that day, but if you
make
> the same journey twice, you could technically use it again if it
didn't get
> checked...

The today only tickets are ready-stamped. Most people get those right
before they take their intended trip, which is why you probably didn't
see anyone using the (inobtrusive) stamping machines.

<snip bit>

> > Well, sorry for starting to disagree here, I'm not violent about it
at
> > all, and I don't go round bitching about America much, or at *all*,
> > really (I snipped the part where you just said something to that
> > effect).
>

> I don't bitch about America, I just enjoy having a little poke at them
from
> time to time, and totally agree with you otherwise. Including the bit
> below...

Well, in the current social/political climate, it's a bit off colour,
and can be misinterpreted fairly quickly. We have a lot of American
friends in here, and I don't want say anything to hurt them. Wouldn't
anyway, but was just stating the obvious for good measure.

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Aug 14, 2002, 7:27:19 PM8/14/02
message news:qlh49.3659$3q.1...@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

Dutch
> >> people
> >> Nope, they DON'T like 'Americans'.
> >
> > Is this about my reply to your e-mail Mike? <rolls up shirtsleeves,
> > puts up tiny fists> Wanna have this out with me?
> <snip>
>
> Ahh, *that* e-mail. Yes, I read that in Holland. Just the usual
patriotic
> American rubbish, indeed. But I thought I'd let it go...

> Americans are a lot like Microsoft to me. Sure, I like them, they have
done
> a many great thing, and I wouldn't wish for them to disappear, but I
*so*
> want to give them a good kicking because they really annoy me at times
:-)

> Sorry for the rather violent-sounding demonstration of my feelings
there :)

> > Besides, you and I, and all the *world* know that it's not Amercia
> > that's the best regarding everything, it's the Netherlands! So
there!
> > :P
>
> Yes - if your public transport and road system is anything to go by,
then
> indeed! :)
>
> -Mustang

My personal view is this:

One world. One people. Period.
McG.

---

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Aug 14, 2002, 7:33:29 PM8/14/02

> "McGrandpa [AGQx]" <mmccol...@NOThouston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Well, I don't think Americans have such a bad name at all. Why in
> heaven's name would you think that? I've been there on holiday, and
like
> any other country, it's got good things and bad things about it.
>
> Actually, up until President Bush came along, I was all for ya... I
> think he's a bit of a wanker though... Not sure if I'm allowed to say
> that in public, or if the FBI will be hot on my tail from now on, but
> that's just what I think.
>
> You lot have some of the BIGGEST supermarkets I've ever seen. Cars and
> gas are cheap... Folks are mostly friendly (if sometimes a little
> dense... This one woman once asked me if the dutch don't have a
language
> of their own? And I said yes, Dutch. And she was surprised as
anything,
> because when she was visiting, everyone spoke English!)(And no, the
> words Amsterdam and the Netherlands are not interchangeable)(And no,
> eventhough soft drugs are legalised to some extent, that does not mean
> that we all walk around each and every day stoned out of our heads.
Most
> of the people I know don't even bother with the stuff)(But I
> digress..... ;))
>
> Anyway... you know what I mean, right?

> > But then, those unfortunate folks haven't met the everyday sort
> > of folks either. Like ME! Heh!
> > Roll them shirtsleeves back down li'l Lady...McGrandpa don't cotton
> > smacking women. Nope.
>
> <smile> I was a bit miffed, I suppose. Thought you were talking about
me
> (being dutch) and that email about america... So I figured we might as
> well get this out of the way.
>
> > McG. :o)
>
> You're cool. I'm cooled off again. So we're cool?

Yep...we be cool!

> Sas :)
>
> -- still thinks the Netherlands are the best country to live in! Am
> thinking of moving to France though ;))

There are so many places in this world I want to see. Mostly,
everyplace I haven't been.
Big supermarkets huh. You been to one of the BIG Malls yet? How about
a moviehouse with 30 theaters inside it? Ah, nevermind...I hate them
places. Cause you end up parking a mile from any door. Big stores, big
malls, big theaters....even bigger parking lots.
I wanna see Ireland.
McG.

Mustang

Aug 19, 2002, 5:30:46 PM8/19/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:PZt59.1560$mn5....@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

>> Well, when you're going to do something, it's best to do it in style
> ;)
>
> At least most of the time, I was already on it, with my survival kit in
> gear, something to read, something to eat, something to frink, music to
> listen to, and spare batteries :)

Ready to last a week, by the sounds of it ;)

>> I don't know where Dulwich is. So, um... are we in England with this
> story?
>>> )
>
> London, you silly person, London! It's where my friend lives, the dutch
> one that's involved with an Englishman. She's one of the nicest people I
> know, and they're living in this cute little house, that has a spare
> bedroom in my favourite colour :))

London? ;)

>> Yes, and from what you told me a while ago, I expect that if I was to
>> phone
>> them from here, you might take the call! :)
>
> Possibly, yes. It would probably cost a packet though.
>
> The man at the interview said 90% of all calls are in Dutch, btw. 10% is
> in a foreign language, and then most of the time in English. I don't
> really know if that means that people don't often call from abroad, or
> what. Presumably, more often people calling from within the Netherlands.
>
> I suppose the UK traincompanies might have their own phoneline for
> international traintravels?

Maybe. But I would just go: "put me through to Sas please!" ;)

>> Yes, and the older ones only take coins. When we first got to Holland,
>> we
>> didn't have any coins...
>
> You could always use your bank card? Or perhaps the older ones didn't
> like your UK bank card?

I don't know. Didn't look like it took cards! Certainly not normal bank
cards, but I don't know. The new ones were all spangly and cool,
touch-screen and everything. Dave mostly jumped in and started banging in
the info before me, though. Bastard ;)

> I found that in France, you can't use your bank card for simple PIN
> actions in shops. You have to have a credit card (and I don't have one
> of those), or pay cash. Here, the bank card does the same job, there's a
> machine connected to the cahregister, you pull your card through, type
> in your PIN (Personal Identification Number) and you're set :)

Erm, well I could perhaps do that, but I didn't know! I saw the things on
the counter at the ticket desk at Utrecht Centraal, with the little keypads
for people to put their pins in. Was a little odd to me :)

Over here, they swipe your card, you check the amount they're going to
charge you on the receipt, sign the receipt (they check your signature with
that on the card), and that's that. Same for credit or debit cards.

> You can even 'download' small amounts of cash onto a chip on the card
> itself, possible at special machines at most banks, and then you can use
> it as change. No typing in of codes required at the store, so it's
> quicker. For amounts from 25 guilders to I think 500.

But you're going to need a machine to read the change anyway, aren't you? In
which case you could probably just do the pin-thing you mentioned above? Oh,
don't worry about it. We don't want everyone reading to fall into a coma, do
we? ;)

> The chip-method isn't very popular yet. I still like real money (makes
> me more aware of what I spend if actual money leaves my hands), and
> besides, the chip method wasn't available at many stores or other places
> yet. So they're still working on that. Oh, and with the Euro coming in
> and all, if the money on your chip was still in guilders, you have to
> get it off-loaded at the bank first, before being able to use it with
> Euros... I haven't done that yet. In fact, I use the damn thing so
> little that I've forgotten my chip-code (needed for 'downloading' money
> to the chip).

I prefer cash too. It's *far* too easy to go buying things over the
internet, and with cards. I feel guilty about buying things with money, and
almost shocked at myself if it's something expensive. But with cards, it's
just... like it's free! :) Only I have to keep an eye on the numbers in my
bank account, which I don't do too carefully, lol. But I'm okay - I'm
sensible.

> But erm... that's probably way more than anyone ever wanted to know...

No! I can never know too much! :D

> You were eating a lot of ice-creams when you were here weren't you?
> Well, with you being as lanky as you are, it's no wonder ;) <hah! I've
> wormed the word into conversation yet again! *lol*!>

Yes, lots of ice-creams. Found a double-caramel Magnum on our last full day
there, in Amsterdam, too, and that was truly magnificent :)))

And you've since told me I'm not lanky after all - I have it in writing, I
do!!

DO YOU ALL HEAR?? I AM NOT LANKY! Yey, me! <hugs Sas> :)

> But what I wanted to say was, I could just imagine you and Dave, open
> ticket in one hand, ice-cream in the other, standing around the
> platform, seeing a few people pass the stamping machine and going to
> investigate.

Yes, but we didn't see anyone do that, so didn't investigate :) Too busy
looking at the variety of interesting trains on show. Much funkier than
ours, they are :)

> He's a bit more worldly that you are, having travelled all over Europe
> for work and all, but you're still a pair of cute lost boys ;)

I know :) Especially when walking around Amsterdam in short and a t-shirt,
with a huge backpack, in pouring rain. Then we really do look like we're
lost in the middle of a strange land :-)

> The today only tickets are ready-stamped. Most people get those right
> before they take their intended trip, which is why you probably didn't
> see anyone using the (inobtrusive) stamping machines.

Guess nobody buys open tickets then!

Well, I can always try my luck next time, and proclaim innocence as a stupid
tourist when they try to fine me ;)

Hehe, no, I won't. I'll be a good boy, like I only know how to be :-)

>> I don't bitch about America, I just enjoy having a little poke at them
> from
>> time to time, and totally agree with you otherwise. Including the bit
>> below...
>
> Well, in the current social/political climate, it's a bit off colour,
> and can be misinterpreted fairly quickly. We have a lot of American
> friends in here, and I don't want say anything to hurt them. Wouldn't
> anyway, but was just stating the obvious for good measure.

Current climate aside, I don't want to have to be extra careful and
sensitive about things, really. I am of no harm to anyone, when all is said
and done. I don't mean to offend though, and I don't think I'd be stupid
enough to say something majorly offensive anyway.

I'm not completely careless, just... not being overly considerate, I guess
:)

-Mustang

Cookiebear

Aug 20, 2002, 1:27:19 AM8/20/02

> > The chip-method isn't very popular yet. I still like real money
(makes
> > me more aware of what I spend if actual money leaves my hands), and
> > besides, the chip method wasn't available at many stores or other
places
> > yet. So they're still working on that. Oh, and with the Euro coming
in
> > and all, if the money on your chip was still in guilders, you have
> > get it off-loaded at the bank first, before being able to use it
with
> > Euros... I haven't done that yet. In fact, I use the damn thing so
> > little that I've forgotten my chip-code (needed for 'downloading'
money
> > to the chip).

We've got EFPOS (stick card in and put in pin) things here. And Smart
cards too.
But yes I really only like using real money, its one of my weird things.
;-)
I'm surprised that they don't have that sort of thing in France, seeing
as they like to have that sort of thing.
They even forced out at insane expense, a precursor to the internet.
Which was made redundant when the www became a big thing just a few
years later.

And England doesn't have EFPOS or smart cards either?

What's going on in all these backward countries? ;-)

Signing receipts? Weird. ;-)

-Cookiebear

Mustang

Aug 20, 2002, 3:36:55 PM8/20/02
Cookiebear <na...@peeoff.org> wrote:

Bloody hell Sas, someone's actually been reading this! Said person's life
must be about as interesting as that of algae, for that to happen, but no
different to mine in that case ;-)

> We've got EFPOS (stick card in and put in pin) things here. And Smart
> cards too.
> But yes I really only like using real money, its one of my weird things.
> ;-)
> I'm surprised that they don't have that sort of thing in France, seeing
> as they like to have that sort of thing.
> They even forced out at insane expense, a precursor to the internet.
> Which was made redundant when the www became a big thing just a few
> years later.

Hmm, those French people again, yes... ;)

> And England doesn't have EFPOS or smart cards either?

Well, don't take my experience of life as being representative of England ;)

> What's going on in all these backward countries? ;-)
>
> Signing receipts? Weird. ;-)

Yeah. And we all access the internet using child slaves who do morse-code
for us. We're not quite onto broadband yet ;)

-Mustang

Cookiebear

Aug 21, 2002, 2:37:49 AM8/21/02

> Bloody hell Sas, someone's actually been reading this! Said person's
life
> must be about as interesting as that of algae, for that to happen, but
no
> different to mine in that case ;-)

"Said person", indeed. ;-)
And don't ask questions about why I reply to you, or I might start
thinking about it too. ;-)

> > We've got EFPOS (stick card in and put in pin) things here. And
Smart
> > cards too.
> > But yes I really only like using real money, its one of my weird
things.
> > ;-)
> > I'm surprised that they don't have that sort of thing in France,
seeing
> > as they like to have that sort of thing.
> > They even forced out at insane expense, a precursor to the internet.
> > Which was made redundant when the www became a big thing just a few
> > years later.
>
> Hmm, those French people again, yes... ;)

I can't quite remember what it was called. It looked bloody cool at the
time though.
But it was made rather redundant when the internet came out. And the
thing cost mad amounts of money to create.
Possibly in the billions.

> > And England doesn't have EFPOS or smart cards either?
>
> Well, don't take my experience of life as being representative of
England ;)

Ok, I won't pass judgment yet then. ;-)

> > What's going on in all these backward countries? ;-)
> >
> > Signing receipts? Weird. ;-)
>
> Yeah. And we all access the internet using child slaves who do
morse-code
> for us. We're not quite onto broadband yet ;)

Don't talk to me about broadband! No one talks to me about broadband!
;-)
But you've got worse problems, you've got.... NTL. ;-)

> -Mustang

-Cookiebear

Sas

Aug 21, 2002, 8:19:25 AM8/21/02

> We've got EFPOS (stick card in and put in pin) things here.

And do you go round calling it "Efpos" too? Sounds like a silly word to
me...

> And Smart
> cards too.
> But yes I really only like using real money, its one of my weird
things.
> ;-)

You guys have really cool money, so it's no wonder.

> I'm surprised that they don't have that sort of thing in France,
seeing
> as they like to have that sort of thing.
> They even forced out at insane expense, a precursor to the internet.
> Which was made redundant when the www became a big thing just a few
> years later.
>
> And England doesn't have EFPOS or smart cards either?
>
> What's going on in all these backward countries? ;-)

Just what I said!

> Signing receipts? Weird. ;-)

I think I shall have to see if I can steal Mustang's bankcard when over
there... <concentrated signature-forger mode: tip of tongue hanging out
corner of mouth, writing> M.u.s.t.a.n.g <beams> There!

> -Cookiebear

Sas

Sas

Aug 21, 2002, 8:14:53 AM8/21/02
<mutters> insane person has changed subject header again. To... infinite
length! Are you looking for stretchmarks yet???

message news:tke89.30070$IU4.9...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...

> Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> > "Mustang" <I'llShootSpammersWi...@ntlworld.com> wrote
in
> > message news:PZt59.1560$mn5....@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> >>
> >> Well, when you're going to do something, it's best to do it in
style
> > ;)
> >
> > At least most of the time, I was already on it, with my survival kit
in
> > gear, something to read, something to eat, something to frink, music
> > listen to, and spare batteries :)
>
> Ready to last a week, by the sounds of it ;)

No, just the three hours the entire trip (door-to-door) would take me. I
would go mad if just left drumming my fingers and staring out the window
for three hours before and after every weekend!

> >> Yes, and from what you told me a while ago, I expect that if I was
> >> phone
> >> them from here, you might take the call! :)
> >
> > Possibly, yes. It would probably cost a packet though.
> >
> > The man at the interview said 90% of all calls are in Dutch, btw.
10% is
> > in a foreign language, and then most of the time in English. I don't
> > really know if that means that people don't often call from abroad,
or
> > what. Presumably, more often people calling from within the
Netherlands.

> > I suppose the UK traincompanies might have their own phoneline for
> > international traintravels?
>
> Maybe. But I would just go: "put me through to Sas please!" ;)

*lol* Well, from somewhere in October onwards, you can try! I don't
really know if they have putting-through capabilities... though they
probably do. Stands to reason!

> >> Yes, and the older ones only take coins. When we first got to
Holland,
> >> we
> >> didn't have any coins...
> >
> > You could always use your bank card? Or perhaps the older ones
didn't
> > like your UK bank card?
>
> I don't know. Didn't look like it took cards! Certainly not normal
bank
> cards, but I don't know. The new ones were all spangly and cool,
> touch-screen and everything. Dave mostly jumped in and started banging
in
> the info before me, though. Bastard ;)

<smile> I can just see you two :))

> > I found that in France, you can't use your bank card for simple PIN
> > actions in shops. You have to have a credit card (and I don't have
one
> > of those), or pay cash. Here, the bank card does the same job,
there's a
> > machine connected to the cahregister, you pull your card through,
type
> > in your PIN (Personal Identification Number) and you're set :)
>
> Erm, well I could perhaps do that, but I didn't know! I saw the things
on
> the counter at the ticket desk at Utrecht Centraal, with the little
keypads
> for people to put their pins in. Was a little odd to me :)
>
> Over here, they swipe your card, you check the amount they're going to
> charge you on the receipt, sign the receipt (they check your signature
with
> that on the card), and that's that. Same for credit or debit cards.

Sign *receipts*? So in fact any old thief with your card and a
reasonable fake signature can get money off your card? Hah!

<mutters> Backwards country, England. Still living in the Dark Ages...
;)

> > You can even 'download' small amounts of cash onto a chip on the
card
> > itself, possible at special machines at most banks, and then you can
use
> > it as change. No typing in of codes required at the store, so it's
> > quicker. For amounts from 25 guilders to I think 500.
>
> But you're going to need a machine to read the change anyway, aren't
you? In
> which case you could probably just do the pin-thing you mentioned
above? Oh,
> don't worry about it. We don't want everyone reading to fall into a
coma, do
> we? ;)

You could, it's the same machine. But it's faster when you're in the
store. You don't have to make a connection with the bank, or wait for
the transfer, etc etc. You just slip your card into the slot, press
"yes", and Hey Presto! It's done :)

<slips into curmudgeony mode> I don't often use mine though. Hate the
thing.

> > The chip-method isn't very popular yet. I still like real money
(makes
> > me more aware of what I spend if actual money leaves my hands), and
> > besides, the chip method wasn't available at many stores or other
places
> > yet. So they're still working on that. Oh, and with the Euro coming
in
> > and all, if the money on your chip was still in guilders, you have
> > get it off-loaded at the bank first, before being able to use it
with
> > Euros... I haven't done that yet. In fact, I use the damn thing so
> > little that I've forgotten my chip-code (needed for 'downloading'
money
> > to the chip).
>
> I prefer cash too. It's *far* too easy to go buying things over the
> internet, and with cards. I feel guilty about buying things with
money, and
> almost shocked at myself if it's something expensive.

Yes, but you willingly go round shocking other people with ideas of
buying things expensive.... ;)

> But with cards, it's
> just... like it's free! :) Only I have to keep an eye on the numbers
in my
> bank account, which I don't do too carefully, lol. But I'm okay - I'm
> sensible.

Erm... Okay, if you _say_ so... ;)

> > But erm... that's probably way more than anyone ever wanted to
know...

> No! I can never know too much! :D

Oh yes, you being the one on the need-to-know-everything basis, lol.

> > You were eating a lot of ice-creams when you were here weren't you?
> > Well, with you being as lanky as you are, it's no wonder ;) <hah!
I've
> > wormed the word into conversation yet again! *lol*!>
>
> Yes, lots of ice-creams. Found a double-caramel Magnum on our last
full day
> there, in Amsterdam, too, and that was truly magnificent :)))
>
> And you've since told me I'm not lanky after all - I have it in
writing, I
> do!!
>
> DO YOU ALL HEAR?? I AM NOT LANKY! Yey, me! <hugs Sas> :)

Yes, yey you and thanks for the hug :)

> > But what I wanted to say was, I could just imagine you and Dave,
open
> > ticket in one hand, ice-cream in the other, standing around the
> > platform, seeing a few people pass the stamping machine and going to
> > investigate.
>
> Yes, but we didn't see anyone do that, so didn't investigate :) Too
busy
> looking at the variety of interesting trains on show. Much funkier
than
> ours, they are :)

Funky trains? You sure you're feeling ok Martyn? I know you're fond of
our transport system and all, but... :?

> > He's a bit more worldly that you are, having travelled all over
Europe
> > for work and all, but you're still a pair of cute lost boys ;)
>
> I know :) Especially when walking around Amsterdam in short and a
t-shirt,
> with a huge backpack, in pouring rain. Then we really do look like
we're
> lost in the middle of a strange land :-)

Aaaaaah.... Poor you. Sorry for our silly weather.

> > The today only tickets are ready-stamped. Most people get those
right
> > before they take their intended trip, which is why you probably
didn't
> > see anyone using the (inobtrusive) stamping machines.
>
> Guess nobody buys open tickets then!

Well, we do sometimes. I do when I know I'll be needing it sometime in
the future. Then it will save me time having to buy a ticket. I already
have it ready in my wallet!

> Well, I can always try my luck next time, and proclaim innocence as a
stupid
> tourist when they try to fine me ;)

Yes, well, you can always proclaim innocence! (I shall leave it to you
where you would like to see the stress in that sentence... hehehe)

> Hehe, no, I won't. I'll be a good boy, like I only know how to be :-)

And you are. <pats Martyn on the head> How's your apple?

> >> I don't bitch about America, I just enjoy having a little poke at
them
> > from
> >> time to time, and totally agree with you otherwise. Including the
bit
> >> below...
> >
> > Well, in the current social/political climate, it's a bit off
colour,
> > and can be misinterpreted fairly quickly. We have a lot of American
> > friends in here, and I don't want say anything to hurt them.
Wouldn't
> > anyway, but was just stating the obvious for good measure.
>
> Current climate aside, I don't want to have to be extra careful and
> sensitive about things, really. I am of no harm to anyone, when all is
said
> and done. I don't mean to offend though, and I don't think I'd be
stupid
> enough to say something majorly offensive anyway.
>
> I'm not completely careless, just... not being overly considerate, I
guess
> :)

In your usual charming way.

I know I've hit Gary over the head with the stupid eagle thing already,
so I guess I just told myself to be more careful in future. (Because in
that instance, he was right)

> -Mustang

Sas

Mustang

Aug 21, 2002, 1:54:48 PM8/21/02
Cookiebear <na...@peeoff.org> wrote:
>> Bloody hell Sas, someone's actually been reading this! Said person's
>> life
>> must be about as interesting as that of algae, for that to happen, but
>> no
>> different to mine in that case ;-)
>
> "Said person", indeed. ;-)

Yes, it sounded a little less insulting that saying "CB's life must be...
etc" ;-)

> And don't ask questions about why I reply to you, or I might start
> thinking about it too. ;-)

I'm not sure how to take that, but I won't think about it :)

> I can't quite remember what it was called. It looked bloody cool at the
> time though.
> But it was made rather redundant when the internet came out. And the
> thing cost mad amounts of money to create.
> Possibly in the billions.

Pfft, and to think that *I* could have had that. It wouldn't have been
wasted on nothing, either! *Honestly*... ;)

>> Yeah. And we all access the internet using child slaves who do
>> morse-code
>> for us. We're not quite onto broadband yet ;)
>
> Don't talk to me about broadband! No one talks to me about broadband!
> ;-)
> But you've got worse problems, you've got.... NTL. ;-)
>

> -Cookiebear

Yes, yes we do. I'd get along with everyone online 100% of the time if NTL
didn't always muddle my e-mails and posts up, too! Damn them to hell ;-)

-Mustang

Mustang

Aug 21, 2002, 2:14:04 PM8/21/02
Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> <mutters> insane person has changed subject header again. To... infinite
> length! Are you looking for stretchmarks yet???

Errr.... no, actually... :)

>> Ready to last a week, by the sounds of it ;)
>
> No, just the three hours the entire trip (door-to-door) would take me. I
> would go mad if just left drumming my fingers and staring out the window
> for three hours before and after every weekend!

Yes, three hours, twice a week, staring out the window might even do *my*
head in :)

>>> I suppose the UK traincompanies might have their own phoneline for
>>> international traintravels?
>>
>> Maybe. But I would just go: "put me through to Sas please!" ;)
>
> *lol* Well, from somewhere in October onwards, you can try! I don't
> really know if they have putting-through capabilities... though they
> probably do. Stands to reason!

Well, I'm not sure. Probably not. But maybe. They'd probably just give me
the number for the NS. Otherwise I'd actually get an international call for
the price of a national call, if they patched me through, thinking about
it....

>> Dave mostly jumped in and started banging
>> in
>> the info before me, though. Bastard ;)
>
> <smile> I can just see you two :))

What? You followed me all the way home??! Argh! <quickly hides> ;)

> Sign *receipts*? So in fact any old thief with your card and a
> reasonable fake signature can get money off your card? Hah!

Yes, much like how any thief with your pin code could get money off your
card! Any determined thief could probably soon pick your number up. And by
the time they'd practiced your signature, you'd have probably reported your
missing card and canceled it anyway.

You don't even need anything online, though - just the card itself (though
it often has to tally with your address, which a thief probably wouldn't
know). So, online card fraud is even easier! No problems for me so far, and
I've bought from many different places...

> <mutters> Backwards country, England. Still living in the Dark Ages...
> ;)

Yes, pity us all, and send us money ;)

> You could, it's the same machine. But it's faster when you're in the
> store. You don't have to make a connection with the bank, or wait for
> the transfer, etc etc. You just slip your card into the slot, press
> "yes", and Hey Presto! It's done :)

Oh, alright, well I get its usefulness now :)

> <slips into curmudgeony mode> I don't often use mine though. Hate the
> thing.

Burn it, burt it!! ;) (No, don't!)

>> I prefer cash too. It's *far* too easy to go buying things over the
>> internet, and with cards. I feel guilty about buying things with
>> money, and
>> almost shocked at myself if it's something expensive.
>
> Yes, but you willingly go round shocking other people with ideas of
> buying things expensive.... ;)

Erm, yes, well that's... different :)

>> But with cards, it's
>> just... like it's free! :) Only I have to keep an eye on the numbers
> in my
>> bank account, which I don't do too carefully, lol. But I'm okay - I'm
>> sensible.
>
> Erm... Okay, if you _say_ so... ;)

Considering above point, maybe I'm not so sensible after all, but not to
worry :)

>> No! I can never know too much! :D
>
> Oh yes, you being the one on the need-to-know-everything basis, lol.

Indeed I am ;)

>> DO YOU ALL HEAR?? I AM NOT LANKY! Yey, me! <hugs Sas> :)
>
> Yes, yey you and thanks for the hug :)

The least I could give you in return for telling me I'm not lanky! And if
only you'd preach it to the world too... you might get another one ;)

> Funky trains? You sure you're feeling ok Martyn? I know you're fond of
> our transport system and all, but... :?

Erm, yeah. There're some interesting looking ones. Kind of menacing. Look
like something that fell out of a Resident Evil game, perhaps :) But it's
because of the way the front of the train can connect onto another train
(and the driver sits in a little pod thing at the top). And... there are
more, but they're not all plain and boring like ours; some actually look
like they were 'designed'! :)

>> I know :) Especially when walking around Amsterdam in short and a
>> t-shirt,
>> with a huge backpack, in pouring rain. Then we really do look like
>> we're
>> lost in the middle of a strange land :-)
>
> Aaaaaah.... Poor you. Sorry for our silly weather.

It's okay. I actually quite liked walking around in the warm rain in my
shorts with my big rucksack, standing out from the crowd a bit :) Shoulders
started getting sore, though, with the wet t-shirt, but nothing that latest.
I've little to complain about :)

>> Well, I can always try my luck next time, and proclaim innocence as a
> stupid
>> tourist when they try to fine me ;)
>
> Yes, well, you can always proclaim innocence! (I shall leave it to you
> where you would like to see the stress in that sentence... hehehe)

Erm... 'yes'? ;-)

>> Hehe, no, I won't. I'll be a good boy, like I only know how to be :-)
>
> And you are. <pats Martyn on the head> How's your apple?

The one Izzy gave me? Oh, it's fine, thanks :) <pats apple> Yeah, he's
doing alright :)

>> Current climate aside, I don't want to have to be extra careful and
>> sensitive about things, really. I am of no harm to anyone, when all is
> said
>> and done. I don't mean to offend though, and I don't think I'd be
> stupid
>> enough to say something majorly offensive anyway.
>>
>> I'm not completely careless, just... not being overly considerate, I
> guess
>>> )
>
> In your usual charming way.

'Charming' in an "oh, *charming*!!" kind of way, I expect :)

> I know I've hit Gary over the head with the stupid eagle thing already,
> so I guess I just told myself to be more careful in future. (Because in
> that instance, he was right)
>

> Sas

I remember it, but not what he was right about (don't worry about reminding
me - not bothered). But, well, maybe you dreamt it ;)

-Mustang

Sas

Aug 21, 2002, 7:17:53 PM8/21/02
message news:qPQ89.40777$IU4.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...

> Sas <s...@do.not.spam.nl> wrote:
> > <mutters> insane person has changed subject header again. To...
infinite
> > length! Are you looking for stretchmarks yet???
>
> Errr.... no, actually... :)

I was... Only just noticed it before composing previous message, as
headers get abbreviated when thread gets too long. Silly you.

> >> Dave mostly jumped in and started banging
> >> in
> >> the info before me, though. Bastard ;)
> >
> > <smile> I can just see you two :))
>
> What? You followed me all the way home??! Argh! <quickly hides> ;)

I can *see* you... And you look like you've only showered once this
week, and you haven't shaved, you scruffy person you! Eeeew! ;)

> > Sign *receipts*? So in fact any old thief with your card and a
> > reasonable fake signature can get money off your card? Hah!
>
> Yes, much like how any thief with your pin code could get money off
your
> card!

No. Because my card doesn't come with the code written on the back,
Martyn... But on yours, there *is* a signature there, ready to be forged
for immediate use and everything.

Haha, I contend that our way is safer! And I defy you to disagree with
me! <holds shoe at the ready for some sharp throwing action ;) >

> Any determined thief could probably soon pick your number up. And by
> the time they'd practiced your signature, you'd have probably reported
your
> missing card and canceled it anyway.

Ah, but you don't know how long it takes to find your card missing, now
do you? How often do you use your? Every day?

Even if so, say it gets stolen, the thief could have up to a day to get
maximum use out of it! Any practiced forger/thief could get the fake
signature down in a matter of minutes, and Hey Presto: free money!

> You don't even need anything online, though - just the card itself
(though
> it often has to tally with your address, which a thief probably
wouldn't
> know). So, online card fraud is even easier! No problems for me so
far, and
> I've bought from many different places...

Ok, I can't use mine on the internet.... Would have to have a credit
card for that. (And I don't have one) (nor would I want one)(except
perhaps for use on the internet)(not to get actual credit, as in, spend
money that I don't have)

> > <mutters> Backwards country, England. Still living in the Dark
Ages...
> > ;)
>
> Yes, pity us all, and send us money ;)

Hah! I think not!

Although as a counter offer I could save some money and send you me
instead?

> > <slips into curmudgeony mode> I don't often use mine though. Hate
the
> > thing.
>
> Burn it, burt it!! ;) (No, don't!)

It is *on* the bank card, Mustang... No matter what I think of the
chipthing, the bank card still has its use!

> >> I prefer cash too. It's *far* too easy to go buying things over the
> >> internet, and with cards. I feel guilty about buying things with
> >> money, and
> >> almost shocked at myself if it's something expensive.
> >
> > Yes, but you willingly go round shocking other people with ideas of
> > buying things expensive.... ;)
>
> Erm, yes, well that's... different :)

Oh? Different kind of guilt?

> >> But with cards, it's
> >> just... like it's free! :) Only I have to keep an eye on the
numbers
> > in my
> >> bank account, which I don't do too carefully, lol. But I'm okay -
I'm
> >> sensible.
> >
> > Erm... Okay, if you _say_ so... ;)
>
> Considering above point, maybe I'm not so sensible after all, but not
> worry :)

Good :)

> >> DO YOU ALL HEAR?? I AM NOT LANKY! Yey, me! <hugs Sas> :)
> >
> > Yes, yey you and thanks for the hug :)
>
> The least I could give you in return for telling me I'm not lanky! And
if
> only you'd preach it to the world too... you might get another one ;)

No, no preaching. Sorry. And you're still tall and thin, so where that's
concerned, you may still be called lanky. You're just not a stickfigure
by far, and that's all I've said on the matter. <insane> Noooo! You're
*not* getting that hug back! I am not giving it back! It's mine I tell
you! *Mine*! </insane>

> > Funky trains? You sure you're feeling ok Martyn? I know you're fond
of
> > our transport system and all, but... :?
>
> Erm, yeah. There're some interesting looking ones. Kind of menacing.
Look
> like something that fell out of a Resident Evil game, perhaps :) But
it's
> because of the way the front of the train can connect onto another
train
> (and the driver sits in a little pod thing at the top). And... there
are
> more, but they're not all plain and boring like ours; some actually
look
> like they were 'designed'! :)

Hah. That's the Netherlands for you. Yes, stuff gets designed over here.
Go figure! ;)

> >> I know :) Especially when walking around Amsterdam in short and a
> >> t-shirt,
> >> with a huge backpack, in pouring rain. Then we really do look like
> >> we're
> >> lost in the middle of a strange land :-)
> >
> > Aaaaaah.... Poor you. Sorry for our silly weather.
>
> It's okay. I actually quite liked walking around in the warm rain in
my
> shorts with my big rucksack, standing out from the crowd a bit :)
Shoulders
> started getting sore, though, with the wet t-shirt, but nothing that
latest.
> I've little to complain about :)

Latest? I'm sure you meant lasted... Didn't you? <smiles sweetly ;) >

> >> Hehe, no, I won't. I'll be a good boy, like I only know how to be
:-)

> > And you are. <pats Martyn on the head> How's your apple?
>
> The one Izzy gave me? Oh, it's fine, thanks :) <pats apple> Yeah,
he's
> doing alright :)

*lol*

Pats apple....

> > I know I've hit Gary over the head with the stupid eagle thing
already,
> > so I guess I just told myself to be more careful in future. (Because
in
> > that instance, he was right)
> >
> > Sas
>
> I remember it, but not what he was right about (don't worry about
reminding
> me - not bothered). But, well, maybe you dreamt it ;)

He was right in that it was obviously the american eagle. I was arguing
that it could have been any old eagle, why take offense at it being 'the
american' one? But it was, he was right. One of those eagles with the
white-feathered heads.

I got a little hot, bothered and downright argumentative there for a
bit. <looks at feet, scuffs at sand> but I said I was sorry.....

> -Mustang

Sas

Cookiebear

Aug 22, 2002, 9:16:15 AM8/22/02
> > We've got EFPOS (stick card in and put in pin) things here.
>
> And do you go round calling it "Efpos" too? Sounds like a silly word
> me...

Yes it is rather odd I suppose. ;-)
It's just a silly acronym. Electronic Funds Point, Of, um, blah blah.
;-)
We've had it around for years and years now over here.
I think you could have bought the first Tomb Raider game with it when it
was still new, maybe. ;-)

> > And Smart
> > cards too.
> > But yes I really only like using real money, its one of my weird
> things.
> > ;-)
>
> You guys have really cool money, so it's no wonder.

Yes it is rather nice. ;-)

> > I'm surprised that they don't have that sort of thing in France,
> seeing
> > as they like to have that sort of thing.
> > They even forced out at insane expense, a precursor to the internet.
> > Which was made redundant when the www became a big thing just a few
> > years later.
> >
> > And England doesn't have EFPOS or smart cards either?
> >
> > What's going on in all these backward countries? ;-)
>
> Just what I said!

Oh dear, in stereo. ;-)
But really?! What *is* going on in all these backward countries. ;-)
(Going for a full home theatre system effect) ;-)

> > Signing receipts? Weird. ;-)
>
> I think I shall have to see if I can steal Mustang's bankcard when
over
> there... <concentrated signature-forger mode: tip of tongue hanging
out
> corner of mouth, writing> M.u.s.t.a.n.g <beams> There!

Ah ha! They're all screwed! Heehee. ;-)
I can see that I need to move to France or England now. ;-)

> Sas

-Cookiebear

Cookiebear

Aug 23, 2002, 8:12:01 AM8/23/02
> >> Bloody hell Sas, someone's actually been reading this! Said
person's
> >> life
> >> must be about as interesting as that of algae, for that to happen,
but
> >> no
> >> different to mine in that case ;-)
> >
> > "Said person", indeed. ;-)
>
> Yes, it sounded a little less insulting that saying "CB's life must
be...
> etc" ;-)

Algae would seem to be in a "stone groove" then. ;-)

> > And don't ask questions about why I reply to you, or I might start
> > thinking about it too. ;-)
>
> I'm not sure how to take that, but I won't think about it :)

It's a fencing move. ;-)

> > I can't quite remember what it was called. It looked bloody cool at
the
> > time though.
> > But it was made rather redundant when the internet came out. And the
> > thing cost mad amounts of money to create.
> > Possibly in the billions.
>
> Pfft, and to think that *I* could have had that. It wouldn't have been
> wasted on nothing, either! *Honestly*... ;)

Yes, or it could have been spent on more large Ferris wheels. ;-)

> >> Yeah. And we all access the internet using child slaves who do
> >> morse-code
> >> for us. We're not quite onto broadband yet ;)
> >
> > Don't talk to me about broadband! No one talks to me about
broadband!
> > ;-)
> > But you've got worse problems, you've got.... NTL. ;-)
> >
> > -Cookiebear
>
> Yes, yes we do. I'd get along with everyone online 100% of the time if
NTL
> didn't always muddle my e-mails and posts up, too! Damn them to hell
;-)

They sound like,.. big poopy heads. ;-)

> -Mustang

-Cookiebear

'Among those whom I like or admire,
I can find no common denominator,
but among those whom I love,
I can: all of them make laugh'
-WH Auden

yaseenh...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2013, 3:22:43 AM7/10/13
This is too strange by hearing such a amazing story.