Bloodbath in Stonemarket

Darin Johnson

Jul 6, 2004, 6:37:36 PM7/6/04
Spoilers... long...
.

I was amazed at the carnage in Stonemarket proper. I finally figured
out what caused it, and I succeeded in limiting its effects mostly.
But I first ran across this after exploring only the guard post and
the two thieve's shops. I saw the street ahead, then zoomed out with
my mechanical eye to have a better look. I saw a guy in a robe just
standing there, when suddenly this thug runs out from nowhere and
strikes him down with a sword. Pedestrians and guards all start
running and soon there are several bodies littering the streets. Then
every time a guard saw a body, he'd go hyper again. The thugs in
front of the church were also killed by the guards as I recall.
Eventually there were about 8 bodies lying in various parts of the
area, and the guards kept respawning after some time, noticing the
bodies, and freaking out all over again. It was clear that the
situation was never going to calm down.

(It would have been completely baffling if I hadn't seen the initial
attack and only ran across all the bodies and angry guards later)

So I reloaded. This time I went north behind the first guard, and was
contemplating getting past him, when I heard a ruckus starting yet
again. This time I did some exploring, dodging guards, soaking up
some damage, and hiding in buildings. At neither time had I been in
any houses before the mayhem started.

The third time I took an overhead route, up to the balcony of the
stone cutter's house. I scooped up valuables I ran across (I normally
don't like to steal from my neighbors or the common folk, but his
diary made me feel less guilty about it, and the hassle of
bloodthirsty guards was making me want some compensation). As I
rounded the steps down to the first floor I saw the main door just
open by itself, but no one was around. In the next room I heard some
thugs threatening the jeweler, and it all started to click for me.

After lots of reloads and experiments, I figured out what was going
on. At some point this showdown with the thugs gets triggered, though
I don't know why it triggered when I hadn't even come close to the
area. At some point a guard wanders by the open door by the thugs and
the fighting breaks out. I could disrupt their scripted conversation
easily enough (shoot out the torch and make them slightly suspicious),
but the ruckus starts up when ever a guard wanders by. I could't
disable both thugs simultaneously, but I did manage to only have three
dead bodies (I had to rush and move one body inside and wash up the
blood before any passers by noticed).

Did anyone manage to avoid all the bloodshed altogether? When exactly
do things get triggered also? If it had waited until I was in the
house and overhead the conversation then the whole fiasco would have
made more sense.

--
Darin Johnson
My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

Message has been deleted

Terry Pratchett

Jul 7, 2004, 9:25:52 AM7/7/04
In message <cu1oems...@nokia.com>, Darin Johnson
<darin_@_usa_._net> writes

>Spoilers... long...
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>

>Did anyone manage to avoid all the bloodshed altogether? When exactly

>do things get triggered also? If it had waited until I was in the
>house and overhead the conversation then the whole fiasco would have
>made more sense.

The first time I got there it had already happened and the thugs were
out in the street; I waited it all out on a balcony. Later, I found the
gold dagger in the offertory box.

Second time, they offed one guy before I got both of them, and the
dagger was in a chest in the armourer's shop across the road. Clearly
the 'fake' Garrett is involved...
--
Terry Pratchett

McF

Jul 16, 2004, 10:59:09 PM7/16/04

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <cu1oems...@nokia.com>, Darin Johnson
> <darin_@_usa_._net> writes
> >Spoilers... long...
>

> >Did anyone manage to avoid all the bloodshed altogether? When exactly
> >do things get triggered also? If it had waited until I was in the
> >house and overhead the conversation then the whole fiasco would have
> >made more sense.
> >

> The first time I got there it had already happened and the thugs were
> out in the street; I waited it all out on a balcony. Later, I found the
> gold dagger in the offertory box.
>
> Second time, they offed one guy before I got both of them, and the
> dagger was in a chest in the armourer's shop across the road. Clearly
> the 'fake' Garrett is involved...
> --
> Terry Pratchett

Even if you killed the fake Garrett on one of the early missions before the
Keepers got involved, (in a shop with a wall safe in Stonemarket near the
clock tower), the bloodbath happens in a later mission after leaving Old
Quarter. You are a thief and a sneak... be the man you are suppose to be.
Hide in a dark corner and let the bloodbath continue. Then when the live
bodies are few and far between, reap the spoils, since no one else is there
to do it. :) Use a noisemaker arrow if you need to. Then cash-in and
restock!
-- Eton!