Yet Another Ominous Bequest thread

Objekt

Sep 2, 2003, 12:37:29 AM9/2/03
Where I'm stuck: Down in the crypts, having already retrieved the Special
Sword and dispatched the haunt guarding it. Now stopping me: a mysterious
"study" with a portcullis blocking the way. An inscription on the floor
insists on an "offering of dead flesh" for admission. Hmm...Wasn't there a
dead Hammerite just outside the entrance to the Hall O' Death leading up to
this roadblock? Indeed, and after some finagling I managed to get him
through whilst dodging the nasty zaps and falling rocks. Laying him in
front of the portcullis released yet another rock from above, meant for me I
presume. But, I still can't get in.

Just where exactly am I supposed to put this dead flesh to be admitted? Am
I using the correct dead flesh? Since I can't kill anyone else and there
aren't any zombies in evidence, I presume I have the correct piece of
deceased.

Objekt

JJ (UK)

Sep 2, 2003, 3:50:38 AM9/2/03
"Objekt" <rocket.NOSPAMD...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I believe you do. You need to place him on the inscription then the
portcullis will raise. There are a couple of small 'flower pot stands' just
outside there which need to be depressed (and I don't mean by telling them
there's no point to existence so what's the point of being here and there is
no meaning to life and they have no future). Place a boulder on top of each
stand and they'll drop down a little.

To be honest I never did quite work out what it achieved but hey!

--
JJ (UK)

Paul Harris

Sep 2, 2003, 5:28:12 AM9/2/03

"JJ (UK)" <g...@i.cant.think.why.you'd.want.my.email.address.com> wrote in
message news:YWX4b.53$8m...@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

No, to raise the portcullis you put the stones on the stands as you later
mentioned.

Then you put the dead hammer on the inscription and the study door further
up opens.

> To be honest I never did quite work out what it achieved but hey!

It's where the talisman of life is.

---

Objekt

Sep 2, 2003, 8:45:42 PM9/2/03
> I believe you do. You need to place him on the inscription then the
> portcullis will raise. There are a couple of small 'flower pot stands'
just
> outside there which need to be depressed (and I don't mean by telling them
> there's no point to existence so what's the point of being here and there
is
> no meaning to life and they have no future). Place a boulder on top of
each
> stand and they'll drop down a little.

Yes, that's the solution that I came upon by experimentation. Having
learned the hard way that standing right in front of the portcullis is not
healthy, I reloaded, then substituted a fellow who had no remaining health
concerns. One boulder later I was able to implement the scheme you suggest.

> To be honest I never did quite work out what it achieved but hey!

To get the Talisman of Life in the rooms beyond.

I deftly sneaked (sneakt?) past the haunt that appears when you grab the
Talisman, which is perhaps not unintentionally similar to the Quake rune in
the game of the same title. Once past the portcullis going the other way, I
promptly removed one of the boulders so he couldn't follow me.

Now I'm tracking down the infamous triumvirate of stones. I've found
Bloodtear and Sunspark, but can't get in the freezer where I'm convinced
Iceheart must repose.

I also discovered the great fun to be had with the severed Haunt head to be
had when retrieving the attic-opening implement in the Vault. I'm glad I
didn't grab the pole first!

Objekt

Albert R. Conklin

Sep 2, 2003, 10:33:07 PM9/2/03
Objekt wrote:

> ...To get the Talisman of Life in the rooms beyond.

> I deftly sneaked (sneakt?) past the haunt that appears when you grab the
> Talisman, which is perhaps not unintentionally similar to the Quake rune in
> the game of the same title. Once past the portcullis going the other way, I

> promptly removed one of the boulders so he couldn't follow me.....

Did you check the room carefully that had the switch to open the Talisman of
Life? There is more in that room besides a switch.

> Now I'm tracking down the infamous triumvirate of stones. I've found
> Bloodtear and Sunspark, but can't get in the freezer where I'm convinced
> Iceheart must repose.

I know it doesn't sound like much help, but the freezer key, if I am not
mistaken, is near the dumbwaiter.

> Objekt

Albert

Objekt

Sep 3, 2003, 2:15:58 AM9/3/03
> Did you check the room carefully that had the switch to open the Talisman
of
> Life? There is more in that room besides a switch.

Yes, I found the hidden bonus. Sometimes it pays just to stumble around
frobbing whether you can see the switch or not. :P

> I know it doesn't sound like much help, but the freezer key, if I am
not
> mistaken, is near the dumbwaiter.

OK, I now have all three gems, and have in fact checked off every one of the
other objectives, aside from "Don't Kill" and "Find another way out." I
thought, "heck, that wasn't so hard, all I have to do now is leave!"

WRONG!

Objekt

Objekt

Sep 3, 2003, 2:27:10 AM9/3/03
Oh, and while we're at it: I find myself surrounded by burricks, without a
prayer of survival. You see, due to a series of unfortunate accidents, my
health is down to one shield, so combat is not an option. Anyway I only
have 9 fire arrows. :P

Any hints? I generally don't get much time to look around for other options
before I get gassed.

Objekt

Paul Harris

Sep 3, 2003, 4:35:00 AM9/3/03

> Oh, and while we're at it: I find myself surrounded by burricks, without a
> prayer of survival. You see, due to a series of unfortunate accidents,
my
> health is down to one shield, so combat is not an option.

Frankly, you're buggered. I always found no matter how quickly I find the
exit I always get hit by burrick breath at least once!

Albert R. Conklin

Sep 3, 2003, 6:29:50 AM9/3/03
Paul,
Thee is plenty of time if you know what to do. Have the object prepared so as
soon as you finished reading the note, run and use the object at the same time
and you can make it unscathed.
Albert

Steve Burgess

Sep 3, 2003, 9:56:07 AM9/3/03

Before you click the document on the floor in the room, get in position so
that you are facing the document, but your back is to the special chamber
with the sun symbol. Get back from the scroll as far as you can, but still
just able to highlight it by leaning forward. Get yer Horn o' Quintus ready
to blow, lean forward until the scroll is highlighted and click. Read the
document. Now use whatever key you have bound for backing up to exit the
document and hold it down. Blow yer Horn as you back up and you should be
able to get to the revealed exit w/o taking any damage. You might need
several reloads to get the timing just right.

First time I played this mission and got to this point, I was bummed out by
the thought that this was probably one of those "dead-end" missions, where
you die at the end, no matter what. ;-( Since I tend not to read threads
about missions I'm still working on (unless I'm stumped), it wasn't until
days later while reading messages here that I realized that there was still
a fair chunk of action left to do, as well as an out for Garrett. That was
one happy moment when I realized that there was further taffing to be done
in what had already become one of my favorite FMs!

- Steve

Terry Pratchett

Sep 3, 2003, 9:52:22 AM9/3/03
In article <3F55C245...@satx.rr.com>, Albert R. Conklin
<acon...@satx.rr.com> writes

>Paul,
> Thee is plenty of time if you know what to do. Have the object
>prepared so as
>soon as you finished reading the note, run and use the object at the same time
>and you can make it unscathed.
>Albert

Yep. I too went through with minimal life. It's do-able, with
forethought.
--
Terry Pratchett

Charles Glasgow

Sep 3, 2003, 11:54:21 AM9/3/03
"Paul Harris" <pa...@spam-me-and-diestudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Frankly, you're buggered. I always found no matter how quickly I find the
> exit I always get hit by burrick breath at least once!

Before you read the note, put out all the torches with water arrows. Then
make sure you're standing on one of the dark patches when you lean out to
read the note.

Then /quietly/ crouch and creep into the stall with the sunrise emblem.

If done right, none of the burricks will be alerted or move until after
you've blown the horn.

--
Chuckg

Paul Harris

Sep 3, 2003, 1:31:39 PM9/3/03

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Trouble is, whenever I pause, read scrolls or whatever the picture always
takes [relatively] ages to appear including when I exit the pause menu or
scroll but the actual game itself continues basically straight away. This
means that The burrick cages are more or less open by the time I can see
what I am doing. Anyone else have this problem? It seems to occur when I set
the resolution anything above the default.

Greger Hoel

Sep 3, 2003, 1:34:04 PM9/3/03
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:31:39 +0100, "Paul Harris"
<pa...@spam-me-and-diestudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Trouble is, whenever I pause, read scrolls or whatever the picture always
>takes [relatively] ages to appear including when I exit the pause menu or
>scroll but the actual game itself continues basically straight away. This
>means that The burrick cages are more or less open by the time I can see
>what I am doing. Anyone else have this problem? It seems to occur when I set
>the resolution anything above the default.

It seems that you're running low on video memory. Just set the res to
640x480 for the tricky part.
--
Greger

What's up Chuck?

To email me, replace everything after @ with softhome.net

Paul Harris

Sep 3, 2003, 6:23:43 PM9/3/03

"Greger Hoel" <gre...@spamblock.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:31:39 +0100, "Paul Harris"
> <pa...@spam-me-and-diestudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Trouble is, whenever I pause, read scrolls or whatever the picture always
> >takes [relatively] ages to appear including when I exit the pause menu or
> >scroll but the actual game itself continues basically straight away. This
> >means that The burrick cages are more or less open by the time I can see
> >what I am doing. Anyone else have this problem? It seems to occur when I
set
> >the resolution anything above the default.
>
> It seems that you're running low on video memory. Just set the res to
> 640x480 for the tricky part.

I don't think it can be that; I have 128Mb of Video Memory (recommended =
16Mb) plus 1Gb of system memory! (Recommended = 64Mb)

Greger Hoel

Sep 3, 2003, 6:50:12 PM9/3/03
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:23:43 +0100, "Paul Harris"
<pa...@spam-me-and-diestudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't think it can be that; I have 128Mb of Video Memory (recommended =
>16Mb) plus 1Gb of system memory! (Recommended = 64Mb)

In that case, it must be 'cos Something Bad (tm) happens when the
resolution gets adjusted. You see, Thief forces a low resolution on
all the out-of-game screens. If you run the game in default res,
however, the res won't have to be reset.

Paul Harris

Sep 4, 2003, 8:11:39 AM9/4/03

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:23:43 +0100, "Paul Harris"
> <pa...@spam-me-and-diestudham74.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I don't think it can be that; I have 128Mb of Video Memory (recommended =
> >16Mb) plus 1Gb of system memory! (Recommended = 64Mb)
>
> In that case, it must be 'cos Something Bad (tm) happens when the
> resolution gets adjusted. You see, Thief forces a low resolution on
> all the out-of-game screens. If you run the game in default res,
> however, the res won't have to be reset.

Ah that would explain it if it has to change the resolution every time I
pause it!