ATTN: Terry Prachett ( The Mission Designer?)

eltslt

Jul 14, 2003, 1:44:29 PM7/14/03
Recently you had posted a message wondering how many fans there were for the Thief community. Someone had replied and mentioned the title of one of your books, "Lords and Ladies".

I don't think that you do but I'll ask just in case: Have you thought about designing FMs based on your novels? I don't think you have done any FM designing at all, though I may be wrong. It seems to me however, with such a great command of the English language, your FMs would be very immersive and a real treat for the Thief community. If you hadn't thought about it and had no interest in designing, perhaps a collaboration with an existing designer would a bit better.

The only thing that I see that may be a potential problem would be copyright laws with the publisher of your books. Since you were the one writing them though, I would think that there would be some way to get around that. Or perhaps designing missions based on older books would be easier.

Just a thought.

Lord Sin

"How many times must I wash my hands in blood before they are clean?..."

Terry Pratchett

Jul 14, 2003, 6:22:38 PM7/14/03
In article <GXBQa.4328$N%3.981@lakeread01>, eltslt <elt...@cox.net>
writes

> I don't think that you do but I'll ask just in case: Have you thought about
> designing FMs based on your novels?

Oh, yes. But a man should know his limitations. I haven't looked at FM
design because there are only 24 hours in the day. An apprenticeship in
FM design and then, what, six months working on a mission -- or a new
novel? Don't make me choose:-) In any case, there are people out there
with a pretty good grasp of narrative and effect, and doing impressive
stuff.

I have to say that Ankh-Morpork and Garrett's city mesh together pretty
well -- they are quite similar. And I have run into the occasional hint
in FMs that there are fans out there (unless Dibbler, St Ungulant and
dried frog is more prevalent that I thought.) That's fine by me -- in
fact, I feel mildly honoured.

--
Terry Pratchett

John Wingfield

Jul 15, 2003, 12:57:25 PM7/15/03
There's quite a few nods to you in Lorgan's Web, which should be compulsory
playing IMO!

John

www.JohnWingfield.co.uk

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Mika Latokartano

Jul 24, 2003, 1:59:15 PM7/24/03

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <GXBQa.4328$N%3.981@lakeread01>, eltslt <elt...@cox.net>
> writes
> > I don't think that you do but I'll ask just in case: Have you
thought about
> > designing FMs based on your novels?
>
> Oh, yes. But a man should know his limitations. I haven't looked at FM
> design because there are only 24 hours in the day. An apprenticeship in
> FM design and then, what, six months working on a mission -- or a new
> novel? Don't make me choose:-)

Fair enough, although I'm sure that there's a great FM somewhere in your
head hoping to get designed :)

Actually I'm confident that there'd be several Dromed-wizards out there more
than happy to work with you -- do the actual Dromed editing work and
collaborate on the design -- in case you ever felt like it'd be fun to
develop a story and the gameplay for a Fan Mission. You obviously love the
game and know what makes an enjoyable Fan Mission. Combine that with your
incomparable storytelling and writing skills and there'd certainly be a
basis for a great FM.

Mind you, I have no idea how problematic such a collaboration might be
legalistically.

> I have to say that Ankh-Morpork and Garrett's city mesh together pretty
> well -- they are quite similar.

I agree. I've always felt that they share a certain underlying 'tone'.
Hard to put into words exactly, but it's a distinct feeling.

> And I have run into the occasional hint
> in FMs that there are fans out there (unless Dibbler, St Ungulant and
> dried frog is more prevalent that I thought.) That's fine by me -- in
> fact, I feel mildly honoured.

There are many taffers who are fans of your work. A connection which is not
surprising; as you said it yourself, Ankh-Morpork and the City are quite
similar in many ways. Do you suppose that has anything to do with why you
enjoy Thief as much as you do?

- Mika L

Terry Pratchett

Jul 24, 2003, 6:27:33 PM7/24/03
In article <bfp6tf$sd2$1...@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
<mika.lat...@kolumbus.fi> writes

>Mind you, I have no idea how problematic such a collaboration might be
>legalistically.

I don't see that as a problem.-

>There are many taffers who are fans of your work. A connection which is not
>surprising; as you said it yourself, Ankh-Morpork and the City are quite
>similar in many ways. Do you suppose that has anything to do with why you
>enjoy Thief as much as you do?

Interesting thought, but I don't think so. I'd like it anyway!
--
Terry Pratchett

Mika Latokartano

Jul 25, 2003, 2:51:49 AM7/25/03

> In article <bfp6tf$sd2$1...@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
> <mika.lat...@kolumbus.fi> writes
> >
> >Mind you, I have no idea how problematic such a collaboration might be
> >legalistically.
> >
> I don't see that as a problem.-

That's good to hear! My comment was merely idle speculation, having read
the Dromed licence where it says:

"Your levels can not contain any illegal, trademarked, or copyrighted
materials unless you obtain written consent of the trademark or copyright
holders."

and

"When you publicly distribute your level you automatically grant Looking
Glass Studios the perpetual, royalty free right to use, modify, license and
distribute your level in any way we choose."

I thought that the latter part might be legally problematic, but I really
don't know enough about legal matters to comment on it. Looking Glass
Studios obviously does not exist anymore, but I suppose Eidos Interactive
holds the rights to Thief and Dromed.

- Mika L

Terry Pratchett

Jul 25, 2003, 4:33:01 AM7/25/03
In article <bfqk63$enn$1...@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
<mika.lat...@kolumbus.fi> writes

>That's good to hear! My comment was merely idle speculation, having read
>the Dromed licence where it says:
>
>"Your levels can not contain any illegal, trademarked, or copyrighted
>materials unless you obtain written consent of the trademark or copyright
>holders."

Fair enough. That just means dealing with me.

>and
>
>"When you publicly distribute your level you automatically grant Looking
>Glass Studios the perpetual, royalty free right to use, modify, license and
>distribute your level in any way we choose."

Interesting, but full of marsh gas. It's the ol' fanfic problem in a
different skin. If ever this looked like being a serious issue, though,
I think it could be dealt with.

--
Terry Pratchett

Nightwalker

Jul 25, 2003, 8:08:46 AM7/25/03

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

I've been reading this discussion with great interest because I've been
testing the first of a two set mission and it is heavily based on your
books, as a tribute to you, Terry, as Shadowspawn is a big fan. There are
limitations of course, because you can only do so much with dromed but
apparently the second one is going to be a dilly! I haven't seen it yet of
course, just heard a bit about it. I probably didn't pick up on all the
references either, only the obvious ones, because I have to admit, I haven't
read your books recently, though I've been meaning to. I just never seem to
have as much time for reading as I used to, with all the computer stuff.
Keep an eye out for Lord Fishkill's Curse to be released in the very near
future.

Nightwalker

Greger Hoel

Jul 25, 2003, 8:58:22 AM7/25/03
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:22:38 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <GXBQa.4328$N%3.981@lakeread01>, eltslt <elt...@cox.net>
>writes
>> I don't think that you do but I'll ask just in case: Have you thought about
>> designing FMs based on your novels?
>
>Oh, yes. But a man should know his limitations. I haven't looked at FM
>design because there are only 24 hours in the day. An apprenticeship in
>FM design and then, what, six months working on a mission -- or a new
>novel? Don't make me choose:-) In any case, there are people out there
>with a pretty good grasp of narrative and effect, and doing impressive
>stuff.

Didn't you work with a game company in developing a Discworld based
RPG or adventure game some time back? Maybe you should give Warren
Spector or Randy Smith a call and tell them you've got a great idea
for ISA's next stealth game :P

--
Greger

What's up Chuck?

To email me, replace everything after @ with softhome.net

Mika Latokartano

Jul 25, 2003, 8:57:54 AM7/25/03

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <bfqk63$enn$1...@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
> <mika.lat...@kolumbus.fi> writes
> >That's good to hear! My comment was merely idle speculation, having read
> >the Dromed licence where it says:
> >
> >"Your levels can not contain any illegal, trademarked, or copyrighted
> >materials unless you obtain written consent of the trademark or copyright
> >holders."
>
> Fair enough. That just means dealing with me.

I thought so, and didn't think that the first part would be particularily
problematic, as it's within your domain of control. The second part, which
seemed to indicate granting Looking Glass Studios some sorts of rights to
material which is copyrighted by you, had me thinking a bit -- but I'm happy
to read your assessment on the matter, and agree with that.

Thanks for commenting on the matter.

> >"When you publicly distribute your level you automatically grant Looking
> >Glass Studios the perpetual, royalty free right to use, modify, license
and
> >distribute your level in any way we choose."
>
> Interesting, but full of marsh gas. It's the ol' fanfic problem in a
> different skin. If ever this looked like being a serious issue, though,
> I think it could be dealt with.
>
> --
> Terry Pratchett

- Mika L

Mika Latokartano

Jul 25, 2003, 9:22:55 AM7/25/03

"Greger Hoel" <gre...@spamblock.net> wrote in message

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:22:38 +0100, Terry Pratchett
> <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article <GXBQa.4328$N%3.981@lakeread01>, eltslt <elt...@cox.net>
> >writes
> >> I don't think that you do but I'll ask just in case: Have you
thought about
> >> designing FMs based on your novels?
> >
> >Oh, yes. But a man should know his limitations. I haven't looked at FM
> >design because there are only 24 hours in the day. An apprenticeship in
> >FM design and then, what, six months working on a mission -- or a new
> >novel? Don't make me choose:-) In any case, there are people out there
> >with a pretty good grasp of narrative and effect, and doing impressive
> >stuff.
>
> Didn't you work with a game company in developing a Discworld based
> RPG or adventure game some time back? Maybe you should give Warren
> Spector or Randy Smith a call and tell them you've got a great idea
> for ISA's next stealth game :P

Actually that sounds like a brilliant idea! Discworld would lend itself so
well toward developing a stealth-based adventure and exploration game. The
world is established, Ankh-Morpork oozes with atmosphere and calls for
exploration, there are so many intriguing characters and places -- in all
seriousness, I think that the idea is really a good one! There's so much to
work from, even the city of Ankh-Morpork has been mapped.

I'm just looking at "The Streets of Ankh-Morpork" ("Being a concise and
possibly even accurate MAPP of the Great City of the Discworld") and the
thing itself is a huge source of inspiration, let alone all the books.

I'm thinking about Death as the main character. He's sort of a stealthy
character, can only be seen by cats, witches, the dead or those about to die
etc. Intrigued by humanity, very good at his job. Wears a robe, and has a
notably charismatic voice. As one imagines.

The storyline could weave itself around Death's role in the complex dynamics
of the City or the entire Discworld. Missions could involve "servicing" the
inhabitants of Ankh-Morpork, extra-curricular investigative missions on
humanity, and so on, all woven around some larger plot. It's not like
there'd be a danger of running out of mission ideas in Discworld.

Honestly, I'd love to see such a game developed. What a fantastic idea! It
would be thrilling to experience a similar sense of immersion in Discworld
as in Thief; to really walk on the streets of Ankh-Morpork, and to observe
it's rich life. Death as a main character would be perfect for that, as
he's sort of an outsider, yet present everywhere.

- Mika L

Mark Morrison

Jul 25, 2003, 1:05:58 PM7/25/03

I think a new character would be best - a member of the Thieves' Guild
out to make some cash - possibly stealing something from the Mage's
Guild ?

Hilarity ensues. :)

All of this in a great 1st person engine would be incredible.

Let's hope the Thief 3 level editor is up to the task, and allows the
easy importing of new textures, models, etc.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Soracia

Jul 25, 2003, 2:25:15 PM7/25/03
OK, who wants to be first to design a level based on The Unseen
University?:)

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."
Geroge R. R. Martin:- A Storm of Swords

"Mark Morrison" <drdp...@aol.com> wrote in message

Mark Morrison

Jul 25, 2003, 2:44:49 PM7/25/03
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:25:15 +0100, "Soracia" <zen2...@zen.co.uk>
wrote:

>OK, who wants to be first to design a level based on The Unseen
>University?:)

Hmmm - I wonder if the T3 editor will let you set up teleport points ?
ie, you go through a doorway and come out in another section of the
map. If not, the UU will just be too ordinary. :(

Then again - fancy a midnight roam through the Assassin's Guild ?
:D

Terry Pratchett

Jul 25, 2003, 3:36:01 PM7/25/03
In article <bfr9kh$1g9$1...@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
<mika.lat...@kolumbus.fi> writes

> The second part, which
>seemed to indicate granting Looking Glass Studios some sorts of rights to
>material which is copyrighted by you, had me thinking a bit

Me too. Broadly, I think that fan missions are rather like fanfic --
everyone benefits provided no one gets greedy or stupid. That clause,
though, does point the way to a can of worms. If there's anyone out
there who knows who my agent could contact to maybe sort out some
working arrangement, I'd be happy to set him on it. In the meantime.
persecuting fans for being fannish is no.193 on my list of things to do
today, and I've got up to No.5

--
Terry Pratchett

Mark Morrison

Jul 25, 2003, 4:23:28 PM7/25/03

Impressive - most days I have a 'to do' of 3 things, and I think I do
well to do one of them.

Soracia

Jul 25, 2003, 6:14:22 PM7/25/03
Or the Patrician's Palace:)

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

George R. R. Martin:- A Storm of Swords.

paavo happonen

Jul 28, 2003, 6:53:54 PM7/28/03
you can do this in every unreal engine game
i made a level for UT where there was a hole in the floor and a hole in the
ceiling - and when you jumped throught he hole you dropped from the ceiling
and when looking down you could see your own back looking down.. and copies
of yourself off to infinity (ok, maybe 6 or 7.. the engine had to put it's
limit somewhere :-P)

unless the whole thing has been rewritten

but still, i would be utterly surprised if they removed the portal
technology, which the whole unreal engine is based on

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:44:49 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdp...@aol.com>

Terry Pratchett

Jul 30, 2003, 8:34:06 AM7/30/03
In article <igu2ivom0p6mo9adb...@4ax.com>, Mark Morrison
<drdp...@aol.com> writes

>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:25:15 +0100, "Soracia" <zen2...@zen.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>OK, who wants to be first to design a level based on The Unseen
>>University?:)

I've been talking about all this with my agent, who is surprisingly
robust and pro-fan on the subject.

His view is that anyone that wants to try a DW FM (that is, one that
goes further than a few sly references) ought to ask me first even
though it's extremely likely that I'll say yes. It's important to do
this when using a trademark, and 'Discworld' is trademarked. This is
one areas where it is much, much easier to get permission that
forgiveness:-)

It's extremely *unlikely* that the Looking Glass/ Eidos 'we get the
rights' clause in Dromed would be interpreted to mean they get the
trademark by stealth. He thinks it's not something anyone need worry
about.

--
Terry Pratchett

Soracia

Jul 30, 2003, 6:26:15 PM7/30/03
Hmmmm, strongly tempted. Trouble is I've only dipped my toe into Dromed -
I'd have to get more heavily into it and I'm just not sure I've got the
time. UU could be a lot of fun for some of the more creative designers
though.

The other thing I was thinking of, apart from a Discworld FM, was something
based around George R. R. Martin' s A Song of Ice and Fire - say the Red
Keep in King's Landing.

Sigh. Need....more....free.....time - maybe I should try to get fired:)

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

MsLedd

Aug 24, 2003, 5:24:03 PM8/24/03
Terry,

Speaking of FMs with an Ankh-Morpork flavor, the ultimate
Pratchett-fan-mission has just been released:

Lord Fishkill's Curse

I know the author, Shadowspawn is eagerly awaiting your impression (as are
we all). :)

~M

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Fidcal

Aug 25, 2003, 2:31:03 AM8/25/03
Nice to see you on UK TV the other day, Terry. Was that Thief
you were playing on the laptop?

Terry Pratchett

Aug 24, 2003, 7:10:13 PM8/24/03
In article <T1a2b.1865$3E....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, MsLedd
<mis...@earthlink.net> writes

>Terry,
>
>Speaking of FMs with an Ankh-Morpork flavor, the ultimate
>Pratchett-fan-mission has just been released:
>
>Lord Fishkill's Curse
>
>I know the author, Shadowspawn is eagerly awaiting your impression (as are
>we all). :)

I doubt that they will be unfavourable, but right now I've got to
finished an edit and hurry off to Worldcon:-)
--
Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett

Aug 25, 2003, 8:07:17 AM8/25/03
In article <06bjkv0ltj60r4fbd...@4ax.com>, Fidcal
<tras...@fidcal.screaming.net> writes

>Nice to see you on UK TV the other day, Terry. Was that Thief
>you were playing on the laptop?

It'd play nicely on thr L1, but it was Starry Night, in fact:-)
--
Terry Pratchett

eltslt

Sep 8, 2003, 1:35:15 PM9/8/03
Looks like I opened a big can o' worms with my original posting eh? At least
it seems it will be for a good thing :-D

Lord Sin
Lord_Ja...@yahoo.com

"How many times must I wash my hands in blood before they are clean?...."