Re: Thief 3 on Windows 7

rms

May 5, 2014, 10:47:11 PM5/5/14
>Since I had it in my list of unplayed Steam games, I decided to
>install and try it. It loaded right up on Win 8.1 without a hitch.

Yeah, I just installed the GoG version under Win 8.1-64, then
immediately installed the T3 Sneaky Upgrade
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
and the menu mouse icon shows properly, no other issues that I can see. Be
sure your desktop resolution is higher than whatever you set the game
resolution to, and be aware there is no longer an 'Apply' button: Quit the
game to see resolution etc changes. Damn! I played the training mission,
and could feel myself getting sucked into the Thief magic again, had to snap
myself out of it. I'll be replaying this series again soon!

rms

John Lewis

May 6, 2014, 1:35:38 AM5/6/14
On Mon, 5 May 2014 20:47:11 -0600, "rms" <rsqui...@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:
Advice to Chuck:-

If you still have problems withe Win7 and the disc version of Thief3,
I suggest you purchase the (drm-free) GOG version, currently $9.99.
GOG periodically puts the Thief series on sale for ~ $5 (or less)
each..

If you intend to install any significant 3rd-party mods to the
game,.. such as the highly recommendable Sneaky Upgrade, DO NOT buy
the Steam version. The Steam--DRM gyrations screw up the mod-install.
See posting #165 in the TTLG Sneaky Upgrade thread for a rather nasty
manual way of bypassing the Steam damage.

John Lewis

Rin Stowleigh

May 6, 2014, 2:08:15 AM5/6/14
On Tue, 06 May 2014 05:35:38 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
wrote:
Advice to Chuck:

Please use your best judgement when dealing with our own lovable John
Lewis. He is not one of the shitcanees I told you about before --
I've never felt the urge to kill file him and I don't think I could in
his worst moment, because his blatant anti-Steam crusade taps into
something that invokes compassion and sympathy in almost any feeling
human, to the point that someone should make a PBS movie about him
(though I won't suggest anyone should watch it).

I like the guy in a weird way....
...Have you ever had a friend that you find both interesting but
perpetually in potty-training mode at the same time? Like you put
them on the best-of list for certain friendship criteria, yet you
always wonder if by associating yourself with them you're going to get
"that call" in the middle of the night from all the wrong people
asking you for directives and finding out that they claimed you as
their legal guardian? Something like the guy you knew in the 5th
grade who was witty and funny for his age like yourself at the time,
but when puberty came he was unathletic and socially awkward, and
these days you find him to still be driving the mid-90's Civic he's
had forever, still spends more time on comic collecting and gaming
than his career and still lives in his Mom's basement, yet he hasn't
done anything notoriously illegal yet? Well now you'll understand my
friendship with John even if the physical profile from the
aforementioned Seth Rogan type of friend doesn't perfectly fit him.

John's issue is he hates Steam. Deeply.
He apparently once sent a resume to Valve about 8-9 years ago, and
received a very boilerplate rejection letter that for all we know may
have been sent by their HR team by mistake, yet he takes it very, VERY
personally.

He will advise you against Steam and steer you towards GOG.com at
every possible opportunity. When GOG has a lower price, he will
highlight that. In this case the Steam version is a buck cheaper
today (I actually purchased it for $2 which will happen to you
constantly if if you follow Steam sales). He will try to justify the
extra dollar by trying to convince you that despite the fact that
Steam users' report excellent experience with applying mods
(http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2715838),
there is some obscure mod out there that is the only one that really
matters, and it simply will not work unless you pay an extra dollar to
buy it from a Polish company that already claimed they were going out
of business soon, only to tell us a few days later that it was all one
big Polack joke, that in truth they were only kidding.

I'm not going to tell you you should buy the Steam version of T3.. I
wouldn't pay that for a 2004 game unless I were going to get several
hours of nostalgia out of it. I'm just saying its a buck cheaper than
GOG and I think you will care more about how well it loads and runs
(which always seems to be flawless with Steam games and their well
managed patch approach versus "download now, load up 10 years later
and roll the dice on whether it works") than whether you can run some
obscure mod without "steam damage" as John's spin goes.

John Lewis

May 6, 2014, 8:42:19 PM5/6/14
The mod is not "obscure". And there are quite a few games of the
pre-Win7 vintage that have some great mods which fail to run after
Steam-DRM has messed with the game files. Obviously you have not read
the details in posting #165 to which I referred.

Anyway, thanks for the long inaccurate diatribe.

And maybe you can help me with the following problem --

You assert that 99% of Steam games are completely DRM free. Then
please tell me how to extract all the files for any one of these 99%
DRM-free games so that I can run it stand-alone on any computer that I
own without EVER having to fire up Steam again.

When is Steam-DRM not DRM? When Rin says so....
I prefer Amazon's take on the subject....

BTW, your snide remarks on GOG seem to be somewhat racial
and unjustified. Nice to know that GOG is not alone in offering truly
DRM-free games, now that Humble Bundle has joined the fray. And the
Humble Spring Sale is now on.

John Lewis

Rin Stowleigh

May 6, 2014, 11:55:39 PM5/6/14
On Wed, 07 May 2014 00:42:19 GMT, john...@frontier.com (John Lewis)
Steamworks DRM is always DRM, it's just that not all games have it and
Valve only offers it to the publisher, they don't require it.

Steam does require authentication to assist with enforcing legal
licensing and preventing piracy, and I know in your mind that any
piracy prevention mechanism is also DRM, but of course.

And of course the Amazon thing has been discussed to death, and you
were unable to process reality any of those times, so I don't see that
discussing it one more time would do any good.

>BTW, your snide remarks on GOG seem to be somewhat racial
>and unjustified.

LOL! The racism card John, really?

Anyway, of course they're justified. They pulled a hoax on their
customer base for no apparent reason other than publicity. I don't
see why that should be easily forgotten. It's unfortunate that so
many people don't even know about what they did, so they can judge for
themselves whether they want to deal with an immature at best,
unethical at worst vendor or not.

You know good and well I'm just trying to inform Chuck about our
resident anti-Steam nutter and GOG evangelist so that he can be aware
of the source when he gets these "recommendations" from you,
especially ones that use hyperbolic terms like "Steam damage" to try
to sway him to spend a little more on the GOG version. At the end of
it, I just want him to be aware of any long standing bias when he
makes up his own mind (as I know he will) on whether to buy at all, or
whether to buy from Steam, GOG, Amazon or anywhere else he chooses.

In other words your anti-Steam recommendations are wasted bandwidth,
so stop trying to prey on folks who aren't aware of your condition.