When to...

1 view

Steve Wolter

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
upgrade?
I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

--
Steve Wolter
ICQ: 58652584

Doug M

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Steve Wolter wrote:

> upgrade?
> I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
> Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

Upgrade when you've got the EXTRA cash/gas. Upgrading is good, but
don't overdo it, especially if you can use the money for more units. I
play my friend in SC a lot, and he over upgrades too early in the game.
He gets his ass kicked because he doesn't have nearly enough units,
especially in the early game, because he's spent so much on upgrades.
Say instead of upgrading early I used the gas for reavers. Reavers would
make my opponents upgrades useless.

MuuMiMan

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:39:25 +0100, in a place known as
alt.games.starcraft, Steve Wolter <swo...@gmx.de> was hit by a
lightning blast. While burning, you could hear an echoing scream
escape from his mouth:

>upgrade?
>I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
>Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

That depends on which race you play against, and what units he uses...
I don't upgrade terran infantry much against toss, but against zerg
it's another matter, since marines work very well against all Zerg
mid-game units except the lurker. As protoss, it is usually good to
get the level 1 attack upgrade quickly when against zerg, because if
you do, your zeals will slaughter zerglings in 2 hits instead of 3,
increasing their effectiveness by 30% against them... It's important
to always try to have 1 more attack upgrade than your enemy Zergie if
he's HC ground. Hydras die with 1 hit less too, if you have 1 more
attack upgrade.

--

"Life is wasted on the living.'"

ICQ: 26741225
E-Mail: mu...@protossNOCANNEDMEAT.zzn.com

Remove the nospam thingy for valid E-mail adress.

Mrbean

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
It depends...
Ie Reavers drops, Mutalisk rush, Wraiths rush, etc...
It always depend of something...
So does your life do...

--

Mrbean
Play with the best, die like the rest

Doug M <dou...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Steve Wolter wrote:
>
> > upgrade?
> > I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
> > Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

Mrbean

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Upgrades don't mean that much.
It's all about mass.

--

MuuMiMan <mu...@protossNOILLTASTINGCANNEDMEAT.zzn.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:39:25 +0100, in a place known as
> alt.games.starcraft, Steve Wolter <swo...@gmx.de> was hit by a
> lightning blast. While burning, you could hear an echoing scream
> escape from his mouth:
>

> >upgrade?
> >I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
> >Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

Purple

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Of which your dick has very little...

--
http://bounce.to/purple - go there. NOW.
Purple on alt.games.diablo

Mrbean

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Talking shits once again?

--

Mrbean
Play with the best, die like the rest

Purple <annih...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Demiurge[NaNo]

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:39:25 +0100, Steve Wolter <swo...@gmx.de>
wrote:

>upgrade?
>I mean, when is a good time to get the basic upgrades?
>Is the weapon or the armor upgrade better to be researched first?

Depends on the race matchup. I can give you some examples:

Zerg vs Zerg:
Basic upgrades for ZvZ should come in midgame. When playing such a
match, Zerglings/Mutas normally dominate the game massively, which is
why you will want to concentrate on upgrading these units. When your
spire is morphing construct an evolution chamber as this also allow
spore colonies to counter enemy fliers, and then immediatly go for
ling attack upgrade 1, and as soon as spire is finished, go for
mutalisk armor upgrade 1. Reason why is long and technical, and I have
replied to this be4, so by looking up some older posts you may very
well find the answer to why. But muta armor upgrade is massively
important in zerg versus zerg. From here, construct another evolution
chamber so you can upgrade 2 different things at 1 time.

Toss vs Zerg:
The protoss player should early on, go for attack upgrade 1, as a
zealot will kill a zergling with 2 hits instead of 3, and thus create
a great advantage. The zerg player may wish to counter this, by going
for early armor upgrade himself, making the zerlings die by 3 hits
once again. It is however important to remember that toss attack 2+
and ling armor 2+, the zerglings will still die in 2 hits, as zealots
get +2 damage for each upgrade, and as such the zerg player should
focus on attack upgrades from there. In zerg vs toss, hydras tend to
dominate. Go hydra upgrades and once again construct 2 evolution
chambers. As toss go 2. forge during midgame, for armor upgrades, and
if you have many ressources also upgrade shields at a third forge.

Terran vs Zerg:
This is probably the most common terran error. Upgrades in terran vs
zerg are _SO_ important, as terran uses his basic units such as
marines and firebats, even in late game. with sieges, normally do
armor upgrades first, as a siege has natural armor, and if reinforced,
zerglings wont be able to kill off the sieges. Sieges however still
have highest attack value, and the lings will attempt to kill these
seemingly indestructible warengines:) as a terran player (wich i can
only do in theory and never when it comes down to buisness) i would
most certainly make 2 engineering bays, 1 early for lurker detection
in base, and 1 later for dual upgrades. Allways do attack upgrade
first, as this hits lings hard. And remember a 3/3 marine is a
stronger unit by himself than a 3/3 hydra. And a marine costs only 50
minerals whereas a hydra costs 75 minerals and 25 gas. And supply the
marines with medics, and they can eliminate zerg units with a great
advantage.

Terran vs toss:
Now this is where i have the least experience... so i'll just keep my
mouth shut on this one untill I have some constructive information.

All in all, upgrades _are_ important, as they are cheap considered
what they do. Upgrades should as mentioned not be teched too soon,
as this will make you lack the ressources for units, but keep in mind
that 3 1/0/0 zealots are even more effecient than 4-5 0/0/0 zealots,
when fighting zerglings.

The Demiurge

Purple

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
In denial again, are you?

--

Mrbean wrote in message <8Zol4.1154$9U5....@wagner.videotron.net>...

>> uses...
Zerg
if

3,

Byers

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:24:38 GMT, demi...@nano.dk (Demiurge[NaNo])
wrote:

[snip]

>Terran vs toss:
>Now this is where i have the least experience... so i'll just keep my
>mouth shut on this one untill I have some constructive information.

uhmm...Tanks and Vultures?
and maybe some Firebats.

--
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in
my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but

--Byers--
aka Eirik H
[Unknown, confused and generally irrelevant]
"We are all born mad. Some remain so."
By...@zerg.com
http://ehbyers.cjb.net
bnet handles: [Byers], Teotihuacan
ICQ: 9015906

MuuMiMan

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:36:14 -0500, in a place known as
alt.games.starcraft, "Mrbean" <Peon...@excite.com> was hit by a

lightning blast. While burning, you could hear an echoing scream
escape from his mouth:

>Upgrades don't mean that much.

>It's all about mass.

Yeah, but once the numbers get thinner, upgrades DO matter...