best stratagy to defeat protoss??

Latoof

May 18, 2002, 5:03:57 AM5/18/02
I regularly play a mate who seems to have protoss down pat and he creams me
every time. perhaps I'm just crap?? whatever....SO his regular strategy is
to build an armada of carriers cloaked by an arbiter and cut me to shreds.
just to add insult to injury he usually has a dark templer or 2 about to
knock off my units in the thick of battle.

Any ideas on how best to combat this type of attack particularly while
playing terran? I have considered using valkyries/science vessels utilising
EMP and defence matrix as a start???

jerk-o

May 18, 2002, 5:13:11 AM5/18/02
On Sat, 18 May 2002 19:03:57 +1000, after a lot of stressful thinking, "Latoof"
<rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> cried "best stratagy to defeat protoss??" and
spewed out the following:

marines, and plenty of them. also have some medics and firebats
don't forget to expand
if you have 1000+ of minerals or gas, then start using it
--
patriarch jerk-o clvl 87 necromancer
patriarch Lombar-Hisst clvl 92 barbarian

Kevin

May 18, 2002, 5:12:02 AM5/18/02
dont give him that much time to actually build the carriers + arbiters,
unless your on a mucho map offcourse, if that's the case im not sure what to
do. If you know he 's going for mass cars every time try to expand as hell
and/or attack him before he has massed cars. Most of the time there isn't
much to do against 12 cars + arb but some long range goliaths with upgrades
(remember +2 xtra dmg per upgrade) will do the trick against a few. Also
cloaked wraiths can take out cars real fast, but i'd say the trick is dont
let him expand and attack him as early as possible coz u know when he is
going for fast carriers he will have to defend which gives you time to
expand and build up a large army to attack him before he actually has his
fleet beacon ready...

"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Latoof

May 18, 2002, 5:45:44 AM5/18/02
thanks Kevin and jerk-o for the ideas.

Kevin

May 18, 2002, 7:08:42 AM5/18/02
at your service :)
and yes im from the netherlands...

"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Mark

May 18, 2002, 10:33:02 AM5/18/02
In article <3ce618f8$0$15146$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

BCs and com scan/sci ves maybe

Lots of ghosts with lockdown. No more fleet. Target arbiters first if
possible.
while his carriers are tied up and being pulversied by goliaths, send
some BCs and do some killing.

Håvard Goodwin Olsen

May 18, 2002, 7:41:12 PM5/18/02

"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

You should go with Goliaths and cloaked Wraiths, remeber to upgrade the
range thing on the Gols.
And you should use the EMP cannon, as you said.

But two other things you can do:
1. Use ghosts to lock down arbiters/carriers
2. Use medics to blind his observers. If you do this, then the Wraiths
should have no problems taking those Carriers out.

Remember those 2 last things, are to be done beside the Goliaths and cloaked
Wraiths, if you can manage to controll the ghosts and/or the medics you
should manage to win the fight.

But remember to get some Scanners and have them ready when he attacks (don't
only use the Science Vessel, because he will go after them first as you
should after Arbiters), and also use the scanner often to scan his base and
expands, so you know if he is going Carriers/Arbiters so you get build what
you need to take him.

Steven Ung

May 19, 2002, 8:09:04 PM5/19/02
"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Depending on map. If you're talking about maps like Lost Temple, then you'll
have to fight air with air. Get mostly wraiths with cloaking ability. Scan
and attempt to destroy his observers and the carriers would be running like
scarce goats being chased by a pack of Cyric the Mad.

If it is on open map, then go for 'all' goliaths with the necessary
upgrades. For the cost of a carrier, you can get 3-4 goliaths. All in all,
goliaths eats thru air.

--
Steven Ung, ICQ# : 65203722 Nick : Nuubie
Get paid to be Online. Join Now ;-)

Steven Ung

May 19, 2002, 8:10:40 PM5/19/02
"jerk-o" <jer...@yomomma.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 18 May 2002 19:03:57 +1000, after a lot of stressful thinking,
"Latoof"
> <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> cried "best stratagy to defeat protoss??"
and
> spewed out the following:
>
> >I regularly play a mate who seems to have protoss down pat and he creams
me
> >every time. perhaps I'm just crap?? whatever....SO his regular strategy
is
> >to build an armada of carriers cloaked by an arbiter and cut me to
shreds.
> >just to add insult to injury he usually has a dark templer or 2 about to
> >knock off my units in the thick of battle.
> >
> >Any ideas on how best to combat this type of attack particularly while
> >playing terran? I have considered using valkyries/science vessels
utilising
> >EMP and defence matrix as a start???
> >

> marines, and plenty of them. also have some medics and firebats
> don't forget to expand

Firebats against Carriers does do lots of damage and possibly win you the
war. YEAH RIGHT! :p

> if you have 1000+ of minerals or gas, then start using it

LOL

Ramen Junkie

May 19, 2002, 8:25:03 PM5/19/02
"Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Kill him before he gets carriers.

Steven Ung

May 19, 2002, 8:13:20 PM5/19/02
"Mark" <al...@kcbbs.gen.nz> wrote in message

> In article <3ce618f8$0$15146$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I regularly play a mate who seems to have protoss down pat and he creams
me
> > every time. perhaps I'm just crap?? whatever....SO his regular
strategy is
> > to build an armada of carriers cloaked by an arbiter and cut me to
shreds.
> > just to add insult to injury he usually has a dark templer or 2 about to
> > knock off my units in the thick of battle.
> >
> > Any ideas on how best to combat this type of attack particularly while
> > playing terran? I have considered using valkyries/science vessels
utilising
> > EMP and defence matrix as a start???
> >

> BCs and com scan/sci ves maybe

Actually, BCs rather suck vs Carriers. Cloak wraiths yes.

> Lots of ghosts with lockdown. No more fleet. Target arbiters first if
possible.

That I agree. 6 Ghost can lock down 12 fast if you 'know how to do it'.

> while his carriers are tied up and being pulversied by goliaths, send
> some BCs and do some killing.

Nah. Once you've lock down, goliaths eats the carriers like 'taking candy
from baby' or something like that.

Steven Ung

May 19, 2002, 8:16:26 PM5/19/02
"Håvard Goodwin Olsen" <hg...@online.no> wrote in message

Good, finally someone who understands how to play SC ;-)

12 Ghost > 12 Carriers ( you can also do it with 6 ghost, but that requires
some microing). Cost for cost, 12 ghost is far more cheaper than trying to
get 20 wraiths (or more) to take care of 12 carriers.

Xav)3onl)

May 20, 2002, 2:48:55 PM5/20/02

"Steven Ung" <NoSpam...@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

> "Latoof" <rich...@NOSPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > I regularly play a mate who seems to have protoss down pat and he creams
> me
> > every time. perhaps I'm just crap?? whatever....SO his regular
strategy
> is
> > to build an armada of carriers cloaked by an arbiter and cut me to
shreds.
> > just to add insult to injury he usually has a dark templer or 2 about to
> > knock off my units in the thick of battle.
> >
> > Any ideas on how best to combat this type of attack particularly while
> > playing terran? I have considered using valkyries/science vessels
> utilising
> > EMP and defence matrix as a start???
>
> Depending on map. If you're talking about maps like Lost Temple, then
you'll
> have to fight air with air. Get mostly wraiths with cloaking ability. Scan
> and attempt to destroy his observers and the carriers would be running
like
> scarce goats being chased by a pack of Cyric the Mad.
>
> If it is on open map, then go for 'all' goliaths with the necessary
> upgrades. For the cost of a carrier, you can get 3-4 goliaths. All in all,
> goliaths eats thru air.

If you like sport, u can use goliaths with dropships, but plz avoid those
carrier while transporting troops ^^
But it really isn't serrious to be beaten by carriers+arbiter, that's really
high in the tech tree, so it may mean 2 things :
- the guy you play is a gosu and like you so he let you play and have fuin
before killing you, but you're damn too slow
- he just knows carriers are strong and hide behind defense until he gets
them, in which case you should rush him with vultures(with mines)+tanks very
soon in the game, before he gets air.
- you are both as good and he just wins because carriers are easier to use
than any terran unit, so just practice more than him and follow the nuubie's
advices and you should win.

Steven Ung

May 20, 2002, 8:14:17 PM5/20/02
"Xav)3onl)" <maxwell....@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

<snip>

> If you like sport, u can use goliaths with dropships, but plz avoid those
> carrier while transporting troops ^^

> But it really isn't serrious to be beaten by carriers+arbiter, that's
really
> high in the tech tree, so it may mean 2 things :

If the guy goes purely carriers it would be a breeze, but if he can always
recall troops to make your life miserable.

> - the guy you play is a gosu and like you so he let you play and have fuin
> before killing you, but you're damn too slow

Or he didn't bother to use one of the most advance tool a race can have,
which is the scanner. No other race have this ability to 'scout' the enemy
without getting any damage, so use it wisely.

> - he just knows carriers are strong and hide behind defense until he gets
> them, in which case you should rush him with vultures(with mines)+tanks
very
> soon in the game, before he gets air.

See the AGSC FAQ with regards to the definition of 'rush'.

> - you are both as good and he just wins because carriers are easier to use
> than any terran unit, so just practice more than him and follow the
nuubie's
> advices and you should win.

Not necessarily he will win, but at least he may put up a worthy battle. I
mean you can't expect someone to win based on advises only. Practice makes
perfect, but in reality, speed is everything. Speed here refers to ability
to do things faster than your opponent. Think faster than your opponent,
build faster than your opponent, expand faster than your opponent etc.

Take for example how to lock down using the ghost. Normal people would
select one ghost and select ghost lockdown, then attempt to lockdown another
carrier if the lone ghost is not killed (but we all know this isn't true
:p). You can select 3 ghost, select lockdown, click on one carrier, press
and hold down the shift button, select lockdown and right click on the other
2 carrier. 3 Carriers lockdown almost instantly.

EMPing the Carriers would help the time taken by the goliaths to destroy the
carriers but always remember to micro your goliaths to attack the carriers
itself, rather than the interceptors.

Latoof

May 21, 2002, 2:38:58 AM5/21/02
HI, again thanks for the tips....I'll practice the multi lockdown now I
know I can do it. Will aslo take a peek ath the AGSC FAQ's.

perhaps I'm showing my stripes here...what the... does gosu stand for.

--
Don't mind the spelling, I'm a life member of the DNA - National Association
for lyDsectics

)(av.-.)3onl)

May 21, 2002, 3:38:07 AM5/21/02

> "Xav)3onl)" <maxwell....@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> > - he just knows carriers are strong and hide behind defense until he

gets
> > them, in which case you should rush him with vultures(with mines)+tanks
> very
> > soon in the game, before he gets air.
>
> See the AGSC FAQ with regards to the definition of 'rush'.

My (horrible) mistake ^^ i wonder if it's not possible to attack someone
with 1 tank+2vultures+some peons before 6 mins of game....
Anyway, untill you can rely on a good mech army, you'll need to block the
protoss so he doesn't kill you and attack him very fast.

StormTrooper

May 21, 2002, 5:27:34 PM5/21/02

> HI, again thanks for the tips....I'll practice the multi lockdown now I
> know I can do it.

lol, I'm telling you right now, if you actually want to beat your friend
don't practise "the multi lockdown." Watch expert replays, learn the build
orders, practise the build orders, SPEND ALL YOUR CASH, expand a lot, be
aggressive but not too aggressive. You can't improve your skill a lot by
learning tricks with ghosts ;)

> perhaps I'm showing my stripes here...what the... does gosu stand for.

Gosu is the korean term for expert if I'm not mistaken.

> --
> Don't mind the spelling, I'm a life member of the DNA - National
Association
> for lyDsectics

ha ha

Alex Portillo

May 21, 2002, 7:25:06 PM5/21/02
make a bunch of science vessels! or if your zerg, make overlords.

**Scorched**

May 23, 2002, 11:23:39 AM5/23/02

"Steven Ung" <NoSpam...@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

That really doesn't work usually. Ghosts tend to all fire their missiles at
once if you do that, just to lockdown one carrier :/ That means none of the
ghosts will have enough energy left for the third character, since they will
all try fire one missile each at the carriers in their attack queue....

Håvard Goodwin Olsen

May 23, 2002, 1:32:39 PM5/23/02

> > Take for example how to lock down using the ghost. Normal people would
> > select one ghost and select ghost lockdown, then attempt to lockdown
> another
> > carrier if the lone ghost is not killed (but we all know this isn't true
> > :p). You can select 3 ghost, select lockdown, click on one carrier,
press
> > and hold down the shift button, select lockdown and right click on the
> other
> > 2 carrier. 3 Carriers lockdown almost instantly.
>

> That really doesn't work usually. Ghosts tend to all fire their missiles
at
> once if you do that, just to lockdown one carrier :/ That means none of
the
> ghosts will have enough energy left for the third character, since they
will
> all try fire one missile each at the carriers in their attack queue....

That's true, but there is another thing, the shift-thing doesn't work on
lockdown.

So the three ghosts will fire one lockdown-shot each on the last carrier you
selected

Steven Ung

May 23, 2002, 8:12:59 PM5/23/02
"**Scorched**" <scorched_...@manor2.screaming.net> wrote in message

Actually it does. I'll try to do a replay to prove it. Well perhaps not
locking down carriers, but tanks/goliaths/goons. (I've yet to see the
computer goes for that many carriers)