so sloooooooooooow....

gazw

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
does anyone else out there , find accessing the home pages on the official
site to be so slow ?
I `ve a pentium 2 333mhz . I know theres alot to be loaded but I don`t
remember it being so slow when I first used it .
gaz

Rikki Prince

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
do you mean accessing individual's homepages or the list of members on the
main website? If its the latter, then its because each time you open the
page it has to run through a CGI program which shows up a massive list,
which is generally a pain, seeing as most people only look there for recent
additions. Maybe the people at SCEE could re make the CGI program so it only
displays people who have registered in the past few days, or weeks, as well
as all who have registered ever, on another page. If its accessing
individual's pages, then all I can think of is net congestion, as there
shouldn't be a problem, and I don't find it slow. Maybe you've got a slow
net connection, but as far as I know the speed of your PC shouldn't affect
it, only the net connection speed.

Rikki

gazw <ga...@bluemoon59.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

gazw

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
yeah , cheers for that . It` is actually the list of members I was talking
about . What you say makes sense .

as you say , I only go on to look for recent updates and the wait sometimes
is incredible .

cheers...

gaz

Rikki Prince

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Also, I forgot to mention that it seems slower now than when you first
joined because there's more members, and therefore more members who've
registered, making the list bigger, and slower to download. Fortunately,
though, it only displays each person once, so if you register, and then
re-register, then only the second registration will be displayed. Otherwise,
the list would probably take weeks to download!
I'll post a message on the members newsgroup, and maybe even e-mail the SCEE
crew, and ask 'em if they can rewrite the CGI program to only read the
latest registrations.

Thanks
Rikki

gazw <ga...@bluemoon59.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

gazw

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
yeah , I can realise that . I also forgot to put my modem speed on the
original post , the processor type and speed was listed only for
completeness .I didn`t register till february this year ( when I got the
kit ) . Surely most people registering after that date would have registered
already ? If so , the next time they registered should have replaced the
original one , which would not make the list any larger . The thing is why
are all the members listed ? Surely most ( if not all ) people who go
onto the site , do so to look at the most recent postings ? It puts me off
bothering when the thing grinds to ahalt , and I often don`t bother . Your
idea to show only the most recent lists , say a week or so is a good one .
The other entries could be then be archived and would still be accessible .
I just find the members pages agood port of call , a chance to see what
others are doing in the world of yaroze . I t seems to be the most updated
area on the site , better than the newsgroups , and all the other areas .
Thanks for the chat .

gaz