#freetalk-general-2021-06-20

1 view

no-e...@netyaroze-europe.com

Jun 20, 2021, 12:08:59 PM6/20/21
@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-20 11:38
Clint Kelly's SCEA member geocities... there's a page of source code too
https://web.archive.org/web/20000411030923/http://www.geocities.com:80/SiliconValley/Vista/7813/yaroze.html
---------------

Discord: netyaroze-europe
https://discord.gg/QjnKns8e38
Channel: #freetalk-general
Date: 2021-06-20

no-e...@netyaroze-europe.com

Jun 29, 2021, 5:05:19 PM6/29/21
@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:19
gcc281 was the toolchain I used for Xenon but I wasn't able to build the second demo
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:24
gcc281 is great, I use it for my NY stuff 🙂
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:31
It's still the best compiler for NY?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:35
hahaha, for windows XP, yes for most things.... but it has issues with (emulated) floats tho
Linux, no (see #os-problems-linux)
I'm not familiar with other OS'es tho
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:38
By any chance, did you compile gcc281?
I tried recently.. man it's tough in winXP :/
I got up to binutils and gcc kept failing 😦
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:42
.....Attachment....local.7z - 3457580B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850323691014193172/local.7z
.....Attachment....
I built this back in 2009
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:43
iirc it built the check demo
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:43
I don't remember what version of gcc it was
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:44
oh man! sweet! I'll have to check it out... 🙂 thanks!
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:44
....Replying to....
dasi#7333
2021-06-04 10:43:11.546000
iirc it built the check demo
....Replying to....

The one with the bouncing balls
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:45
I have a XP VM with a a lot of test 😉
I'll let you know how I go... RS's advent seems to be the bigger one and with floats 😉
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:47
I think I followed this doc but it was a long time ago
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:47
https://www.cebix.net/downloads/yarlinux.pdf
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 10:50
Yeah, that doc is for linux envs... in windows it's via cygwin or msy... and it's not gcc it's minGW and window hackery.... which now is harder to find for win32
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 10:54
I've never owned a linux machine so I must have built it under cygwin or mingw
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:03
.....Attachment....unknown.png - 1903B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850328798209638410/unknown.png
.....Attachment....
impressive!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:03
let see how it does 😉 😄
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:28
.....Attachment....unknown.png - 45487B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850335168996704256/unknown.png
.....Attachment....
seems to be having issues, could be the random cygwin1.dll i gave it tho
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:31
@dasi by any chance you don't remember the cygwin you used?
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 11:40
Probably 1.7
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:41
yeah, cygwin for win32 now is a real pain lol... i'll look it up thanks 🙂

?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:48
oh i got it going, it worked without cygwin
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:48
I just moved local to /usr/local worked with my cygwin1.dll now to test it 🙂
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 11:58
.....Attachment....unknown.png - 9375B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850342676988821535/unknown.png
.....Attachment....
lol it seems not to like old school all caps, i don't recall psx3 having this issue
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:09
ha it's the .C I just renamed them to .c and it built
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:09
i can't remember the float problem psx3 had but it looks the same to this build
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:09
.....Attachment....unknown.png - 17847B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850345616957898783/unknown.png
.....Attachment....
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:09
i'll try psx3 now
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:13
What's pxs3?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:13
it's your gcc281
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:14
it's a different issue, but I guess related to the same thing soft floats
> gcc -Xlinker -Map -Xlinker mapfile.txt -Xlinker -Ttext -Xlinker 80150000 main.o title.o enemies.o text.o render.o mapsetup.o maps.o calcs.o creation.o make_tmd.o graphics.o init.o -o main.exe
> enemies.o: In function `UpdateCharTwentyfive':
> ENEMIES.c:893: undefined reference to `litodp'
> ENEMIES.c:893: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR litodp
> ENEMIES.c:893: undefined reference to `dpadd'
> ENEMIES.c:893: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR dpadd
> ENEMIES.c:893: undefined reference to `dpcmp'
> ENEMIES.c:893: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR dpcmp
> ENEMIES.c:920: undefined reference to `litodp'
> ENEMIES.c:920: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR litodp
> ENEMIES.c:920: undefined reference to `dpadd'
> ENEMIES.c:920: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR dpadd
> ENEMIES.c:920: undefined reference to `dpcmp'
> ENEMIES.c:920: relocation truncated to fit: JMPADDR dpcmp
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:16
....Replying to....
Garcia#3676
2021-06-04 12:13:50.280000
it's your gcc281
....Replying to....

gcc281 was from ~frothy
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:17
hmm... you both have a gcc281.zip
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:18
i looked at both, seemed very similar
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:18
I must have reuploaded it to my ftp for some reason
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:19
Probably when I was working on Xenon
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:19
🤷‍♂️ I think your version might work.. i'll try removing the .o file from libgcc.a
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:20
what are you building that uses floats?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:23
RS ADVENT 😆
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:23
that's the purity test 😉
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 12:24
Rob Swan's Adventure Game?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:24
the one and only 😉
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:52
Hey that worked! wow! nice one Derek! thanks heaps!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:52
I had to fudge libgcc.a remove the __negdf2 (type I assume) and it worked!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:55
no$psx seems to have an issue with something tho, it crashed :/
but still it's progress!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 12:58
it crashes (throughs a warning) at the menu screen, i'm guessing float stuff rotating the menu scene
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:03
.....Attachment....libgcc_cygwin1.zip - 744687B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850359172557570088/libgcc_cygwin1.zip
.....Attachment....
here are the two files I used to get it going... I'll keep trying other tests
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:06
Great. So Adventure Game builds but crashes in no$psx?
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:07
and it didn't build in gcc281?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:11
gcc281 would build ok but but crash
I used the -msoft-float , which would force gcc errors
Your gcc using -msoft-float , doesn't throw errors (using the libgcc.a I post above) and builds fine, but yeah no$psx still has a problem with it
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:13
I just had a thought, if it's a libgcc.a issue, the linux version builds it, I would guess they're compatible.. I don't know tho
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:14
Worth a try
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:14
Is no$psx better than mednafen?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:18
hmm.. not sure, no$psx isn't perfect, but ok for dev...
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:19
mednafen, i think i used it once and couldn't get TTY out of it, IIRC
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:21
lol.. yes the linux build of mips-ecoff libgcc.a works lol 100% perfect with floats
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:22
.....Attachment....2.95.3-libgcc.zip - 69566B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/850363904232128532/2.95.3-libgcc.zip
.....Attachment....
working floats libgcc.a
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:23
Great, nice work
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:24
Thanks to you man! cheers!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:25
I'll update my VM and send you a link, hopefully this weekend also
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-04 13:29
I got to go now, i'll be back on and off through the weekend... I'm in AEST time BTW lol
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-04 13:29
ttyl
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-05 10:26
I looked at this again, and when I did this it was 11:30pm and I was tired, I had left out the float option in the makefile so it just build without floats... i tried it again with the linux built libgcc.a and it failed at the same module/function. :/
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-05 10:27
295 still newer then 281, so that's still good!
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-06 11:21
Thanks for the Xenon Demo! It is possible to make it work?
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-06 14:17
Xenon runs at 640 x 480 so it might be tricky to fit everything in VRAM
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-06 14:19
But with a working C++ compiler maybe
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 00:38
.....Attachment....psx.zip - 109171B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/851258743013376050/psx.zip
.....Attachment....
I ran your XenonDemo1_GNU.zip through yarexe and got a single combined PSX executable.. but it didn't run on no$psx :/
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-07 08:13
It def runs on hardware
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 10:19
....Replying to....
dasi#7333
2021-06-07 08:13:26.626000
It def runs on hardware
....Replying to....

I tried it once on my chipped ps1 using my NY setup... it did the same as the emulator :/
By any chance do you still have the code?
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-07 11:22
....Replying to....
Garcia#3676
2021-06-07 00:38:20.013000
I ran your XenonDemo1_GNU.zip through yarexe and got a single combined PSX executable.. but it didn't run on no$psx :/
....Replying to....

black screen on epsxe
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-07 12:34
Found it
---------------

@Gobousei#7592 - 2021-06-07 12:44
....Replying to....
Garcia#3676
2021-06-07 00:38:20.013000
I ran your XenonDemo1_GNU.zip through yarexe and got a single combined PSX executable.. but it didn't run on no$psx :/
....Replying to....

It works for me on both epsxe and no$psx. I compiled it with psx3.
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-07 12:46
@Garcia I've uploaded the project to your dropbox
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-07 12:47
Hi @Gobousei
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 14:13
I can't seem to download it, i can see inside it lol
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 14:13
it's pretty small.. if you don't mind you can share it here?
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 14:14
dragging and dropping files into the chat will work... if it's under 8MB
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-07 14:14
I see minicons 😄 I just found that at the start of the year 🙂
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-07 16:36
I've emailed you a copy
---------------

@Gobousei#7592 - 2021-06-07 22:15
Sorry, I was wrong. The one that works is the binary pxe file from demo1.zip. It displays the starfield and several ships. The source I have (XENON_GNU.zip) is very early and doesn't set up the display environment yet. That's why the screen stays black.
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-08 08:38
....Replying to....
dasi#7333
2021-06-07 08:13:26.626000
It def runs on hardware
....Replying to....

.....Attachment....xenon.mp4 - 4861126B
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/827478859150655518/851742087253590026/xenon.mp4
.....Attachment....
it's a great GNU C++ example!, would you mind if I included it in my NY VM? (I eventually want to make it public)
I can remove names and add a license if you like?
I'll try and make it work on no$psx too.
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-08 08:40
I also tried it using your 295 it has no C++ support lol
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-08 08:42
....Replying to....
Garcia#3676
2021-06-08 08:40:37.373000
I also tried it using your 295 it has no C++ support lol
....Replying to....

Yeah, I think I was playing it safe
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-08 08:47
yeah the 90's early 00's C++ was kinda the new sexy... now.. the new stuff looks a lot like scripting to me
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-08 08:56
Feel free to include it as is
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-08 09:08
No need to change anything
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-09 14:55
Finally Xenon is playable!
---------------

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-10 01:38
....Replying to....
Luís CrispX#9280
2021-06-09 14:55:45.534000
Finally Xenon is playable!
....Replying to....

it's not playable, that's all it does, scrolling stars and space ships
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-10 08:19
I did do some work porting the second demo, controlling the ship and shooting, but can't find the files
---------------

@dasi#7333 - 2021-06-10 08:19
I do still have all the PC code and assets though
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-14 08:46
What about the rest of the missing games? We need to find it.
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-14 08:47
Not those are never released.
---------------

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-14 08:57
https://www.badgamehalloffame.com/category/reviews/yaroze-reviews/

@Garcia#3676 - 2021-06-14 09:47
I wonder what Chris Chadwick thinks of that wall of text? OOOooofff

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-17 16:26
Some great games to port for Net Yaroze. http://www.caiman.us/

@Luís CrispX#9280 - 2021-06-17 16:26
2D Racing for example.