3D Programming

Martin Taylor

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
In the 'no more parallel port' thread belial mentioned 3D programming and
suggested that we get more development threads going so this is my attempt
at it. I am only an amateur programmer so I have no formal training but that
doesn't stop me dabbling out of curiosity.

Among the many books in my personal library is an interesting title on 3D
graphics programming entitled 'Cutting Edge 3D Game Programming with C++' by
John De Goes. It's published by Coriolis Group Books of Scottsdale, Arizona;
ISBN 1-883577-70-5. It runs to a hefty 700 pages and includes a CD-ROM. The
book covers smooth shading using Gouraud and Phong techniques, linear and
perspective texture mapping, 3D morphing, 3D sprites and collision
detection. I have to admit some of the math left me a little confused - I'm
only a dumb technician. However, all the sample code is included on the
CD-ROM for the mathematically challenged such as myself.

For the more switched on members of this group it should be possible to
adapt the supplied 3D game engine and substitute calls to the Sony polygon
engine in place of the supplied code. This should give better performance
and reduce the code size. It would certainly reduce the work load required
for experimenting with the psx polygon engine by providing a functional game
engine thereby leaving the programmer free to concentrate on the Sony
polygon API.

I appreciate the fact that C is the preferred language of the psx but that
isn't too much of a problem.

Regards
Marty

jon

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
Good to see this group getting going...

I have the book you mention but have not read it all yet. You can do some
really cool effects with lighting etc on psx.

I have a list of games programming/graphics special effects on my site
'books.html' on the links page.

--

regards
Jon

icq# 11122941
BombPSX home page and Playstation Development site
http://www.psxdev.freeserve.co.uk/

gazw

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Only got my yaroze system in march , and done little with it since . I`ve
done alittle programing but no C . Anyone got some good ideas on where to
start ?

I`ve got abook on C , and obviously access to the official site .Nice to see
the group come alive recently , let`s hope the dodgy psx peripheral posts
are shunted to one side , letting yaroze users have their site back !

cheers .......

gaz

Rikki Prince

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
Why don't we bomb commercial posters, like in some newsgroups, with some
massive message about the rules of posting in this group?

Rikki

gazw <ga...@bluemoon59.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Martin Taylor

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

gazw wrote in message <7jtrpq$bcg$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>Only got my yaroze system in march , and done little with it since . I`ve
>done alittle programing but no C . Anyone got some good ideas on where to
>start ?

Try starting with:

http://www.progsource.com/c_docs.html#CTUTOR

for links to C tutorials.

>I`ve got abook on C , and obviously access to the official site .Nice to
see
>the group come alive recently , let`s hope the dodgy psx peripheral posts
>are shunted to one side , letting yaroze users have their site back !

The first book I read on C was 'Learning C' by Peter Aitken published by
SAMS, ISBN 0-672-30009-5 and came complete with the Zortech C compiler
(small model libs only). I still use it today to write the odd utility as it
generates tighter code than anything else I have!

Next came 'C by Example' by Greg Perry published by Que, ISBN 0-88022-813-X.
Then the 'Newnes C Pocket book' by Connor Sexton published by Newnes, ISBN
0-7506-2538-4. Not so much a tutorial but a great reference guide when on
the move with my little Olivetti Quaderno (NEC V30 ah the power).

Sorry guys didn't mean to turn this into comp.lang.c

Regard
Marty

gazw

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

>Try starting with:
>
>http://www.progsource.com/c_docs.html#CTUTOR
>
>for links to C tutorials.
>
>>I`ve got abook on C , and obviously access to the official site .Nice to
>see
>>the group come alive recently , let`s hope the dodgy psx peripheral posts
>>are shunted to one side , letting yaroze users have their site back !
>

>The first book I read on C was 'Learning C' by Peter Aitken published by
>SAMS, ISBN 0-672-30009-5 and came complete with the Zortech C compiler
>(small model libs only). I still use it today to write the odd utility as
it
>generates tighter code than anything else I have!
>
>Next came 'C by Example' by Greg Perry published by Que, ISBN
0-88022-813-X.
>Then the 'Newnes C Pocket book' by Connor Sexton published by Newnes, ISBN
>0-7506-2538-4. Not so much a tutorial but a great reference guide when on
>the move with my little Olivetti Quaderno (NEC V30 ah the power).
>
>Sorry guys didn't mean to turn this into comp.lang.c
>
>Regard
>Marty

thanks for the advice Marty , I`m sure the others on this ng won`t mind
It`s gotta be more relevant than the price of Australian mod
chips.............
cheers
gaz

belial

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
YES! definately :-)

belial

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Martin Taylor wrote in message <7jr4fd$kf7$1...@neptunium.btinternet.com>...

>For the more switched on members of this group it should be possible to
>adapt the supplied 3D game engine and substitute calls to the Sony polygon
>engine in place of the supplied code. This should give better performance
>and reduce the code size. It would certainly reduce the work load required
>for experimenting with the psx polygon engine by providing a functional
game
>engine thereby leaving the programmer free to concentrate on the Sony
>polygon API.

Personally I think you get better results doing your own code.

Most books on 3D work using 4x4 matrix transforms, I've found using 3x3 with
an addition vector for translation to be much more efficient.

I havn't looked int the speed of the yaroze system for things such as
clipping, but I suspect that geometric clipping is necessary (as it is with
most PC 3d cards) for speed.

Once I've solved my reading from CD problem I'll be finishing off my 2D
project and starting on a 3D one to see what the yaroze can do... I'm
looking forward to it :-)

>I appreciate the fact that C is the preferred language of the psx but that
>isn't too much of a problem.

fora 3D engine, C++ is very very useful! why would C be the preferred
language? C++ has some nice extensions, its not like you have to use them
all.

I get the impression most yaroze users didn't get Codewarrior?

..belial..