Any way to get Net Yaroze now?

Chris Gomez

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
When the Net Yaroze program was introduced, I was a poor borke college
student. I'm not quite as broke and I want into this program so badly...
what can I do?

Chris Gomez

Rikki Prince

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
> When the Net Yaroze program was introduced, I was a poor borke college
> student. I'm not quite as broke and I want into this program so badly...
> what can I do?

There's nothing you can do. All Net Yaroze's are sold out - everywhere. A
bunch of the last ones were bought up by educational places, which means you
might be able to get on a course at a uni which has one. There's some
underground PSX programming that you could look into, but I don't know much
about that, and I haven't got any links...

> Chris Gomez

Rikki

joh...@netway.at

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Chris Gomez schrieb:

> When the Net Yaroze program was introduced, I was a poor borke college
> student. I'm not quite as broke and I want into this program so badly...
> what can I do?
>

> Chris Gomez

start 2 develope for the grey one...

obiwahn

--
I hate bugs! - I like Starship Troopers...

joh...@netway.at

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Rikki Prince schrieb:

> There's some
> underground PSX programming that you could look into, but I don't know much
> about that, and I haven't got any links...

http://napalm.intelinet.com/

gazw

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
hi Chris ,

The other posts are right , the Yaroze has now sold out .The alternative
ie a grey playstation )plus the tools can still do the job .

good luck
gaz

Alasdair Tompson

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
"gazw" <ga...@bluemoon59.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Gaz,

My nephew (15 yrs old) wants to learn games programming and told me
about Net Yaroze yesterday. I had never heard of it until then
although I have come across the Playstaion before. (I am a commercial
Windows C++ developer). How does this whole Net Yaroze thing work? Is
it some kind of limited development opportunity put into operation by
Sony? Perhaps someone could enlighten me because it would appear from
your posts, and the web site I saw, that whatever this operation was,
it is now closed.

Thanks

Alasdair

gazw

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99

Alasdair Tompson wrote in message
<37fdac4c...@goodnews.nildram.co.uk>...

>"gazw" <ga...@bluemoon59.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>Hi Gaz,
>
>My nephew (15 yrs old) wants to learn games programming and told me
>about Net Yaroze yesterday. I had never heard of it until then
>although I have come across the Playstaion before. (I am a commercial
>Windows C++ developer). How does this whole Net Yaroze thing work? Is
>it some kind of limited development opportunity put into operation by
>Sony? Perhaps someone could enlighten me because it would appear from
>your posts, and the web site I saw, that whatever this operation was,
>it is now closed.
>
>Thanks
>
>Alasdair

Hi Alasdair ,

Yeah ,the Net yaroze system was originally brought out in Japan , eventually
hitting these shores a couple of years ago . I believe a rough translation
of Yaroze is " let`s create " .
The idea was to bring games programming back to the back bedroom days ,
when talented individuals could go on to create games ( and in many cases ,
companies ),and probably just to see what kind of interest there was in this
piece of kit .

It started out at £550 pounds , dropping to £350 , and finally to £229 .I
think it was March this year when Sony put it on the Yaroze web site that
no more units were to be sold . A popular figure I`ve seen is that 9000 were
sold worldwide , with about a 1000 in the uk . It seems that Sony made a set
ammount , and after they were sold that was it . I suppose it would have
been hard to judge the popularity of the system .

The Yaroze incorporates ,

1 x Black Playstation
2 x digital pads
1 x pc to yaroze connection cable
1 x security access card ( has to be in the memory card slot )
1 x tv lead ( though no true scart lead !)
3 x manuals a user guide , startup guide , and Library manual

2 x cd`s A Yaroze boot disk ( must be in the machine at boot up .. ) and a
disk for your pc with various things such as an GNU-C based compiler ,
example code , communication tools ,utilities to convert graphic and sound
data , to Playstation format to use in your games . You need an art
package to design your graphics , the tools are just for conversion .

Phew ... have I gone on a bit there ?

Anyway that`s what you get , plus access to the Yaroze web ( the net bit )
site where you can get more information , download other peoples games ,
post messages , get help , upload your demos/games etc , etc.

So basically , draw a few graphics ( say in Paint shop pro ) use the
supplied tools to convert to playstation format , use the libraries and your
code to write playstation code , transfer it the Yaroze , and hey presto
( Yeah , I know it`s not that easy ....... )

To see what can be done get hold of most issues of the Official Playstation
uk mag , and there`s a Yaroze demo on the cd.

I am a novice programmer , learning C at the moment , and struggling with
the system , but I will get there !

If any other Yaroze member ( or otherwise sees any errors in the above ,
feel free to put me right ! )

The Yaroze cannot easily be sold on second hand either , I`m not sure about
this , but it seems the agreement we signed to become a member forbids this
. We have the Yaroze " on license " .

Quite a few people have got jobs inthe games industry thanks to learning to
program the yaroze . There are also quite a few universities running courses
on games programming , involving the Yaroze . In fact the last units were
sold to Education establishments.

It`s a great system , and with no little skill , virtually anything is
possible . Some ( probably the more experienced ) complain that the tools
and utilities are basic , but I wouldn`t know........they seem ok to me !

Hope the above has put you in the picture as to what the Yaroze is , though
it`s a pity they are not still available , Net Yaroze 2 maybe ?

cheers

gaz

Alasdair Tompson

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Excellent reply Gaz. Thanks for all of that, I understand what it's
all about now. I have heard about a "grey" Playstation which I think
is also programmable so I guess he will land up with one of those. We
got a list of the Universities from the Yaroze web page and will be
following those up.

Thanks for your help.

gazw

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Alasdair Tompson wrote in message
<3801a286...@goodnews.nildram.co.uk>...

No probs Alasdair , good luck !!

gaz

gate...@my-deja.com

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <3801a286...@goodnews.nildram.co.uk>,

alas...@NOSPAMtrustpro.co.uk wrote:
> Excellent reply Gaz. Thanks for all of that, I understand what it's
> all about now. I have heard about a "grey" Playstation which I think
> is also programmable so I guess he will land up with one of those. We
> got a list of the Universities from the Yaroze web page and will be
> following those up.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Hopefully I may be of some help. I am currently in possession of two
DTL-h1001's (blue developer units that were completely unavailable to
the public) It was sold only to developers. It can run anything
without mod chips. I even have the sony developer CD's. The grey
reprogammable one referred to earlier in the thread is a DTL-h1001h.
Identical to the blue ones except the color. I have had offers between
$500.00 to $1000.00 for the blues. I might have some grey developer
units also. I'll have to check. If anyone's interested or has more
info on these, please e-mail or reply.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

gazw

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

gate...@my-deja.com wrote in message <7u0jli$lqg$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...>

>Hopefully I may be of some help. I am currently in possession of two
>DTL-h1001's (blue developer units that were completely unavailable to
>the public) It was sold only to developers. It can run anything
>without mod chips. I even have the sony developer CD's. The grey
>reprogammable one referred to earlier in the thread is a DTL-h1001h.
>Identical to the blue ones except the color. I have had offers between
>$500.00 to $1000.00 for the blues. I might have some grey developer
>units also. I'll have to check. If anyone's interested or has more
>info on these, please e-mail or reply.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

I thought the earlier posts about the " grey " playstation were the noramal
run of the mill jobbies , available from around the £70 quid mark from any
curries dixons etc ? It`s programmed by using an action replay or someting
similar , using a special lead and a few other bits and bats . Feel free to
disagree . I`d have thought the grey playstations were a cheaper option
for developers for various uses (testing Linked games etc ) , especially
if this was a job lot from a redundant developer .Anyone else know different
??

gaz

game

gate...@my-deja.com

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Check out this website:

http://video.gamespot.com/features/psx/yaroze/07colorofpsx.html

Gives a breakdown of the colors of the playstations and model
information. Checked out my inventory, I don't have any grey developer
models, just the blues. Maybe the greys are just phantoms. I do have
the developers manual on .doc file if anyone needs it. It's about 2-3
megs.