I WANT A YAROZE!!!!!!!!

1 view

Damien Hampton

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
if anyone knows where I can lay my hands on a yaroze at a half decent price,
the info would be much appreciated!!

cheers

Damien

damien....@icv.com

belial

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
You can't they don't make them anymore.

You shoudl look into Caetla or something similar.

Or alternatively, find someone willing to copy the CD for you, and use a
modded Grey playstation, and make a cable. I'd be happy to forward the
information on the cable.

My yaroze is a grey PSX, as I had my black on stolen, I don't believe I've
violated any law as I am a paid up member of the Yaroze program.

joh...@netway.at

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
belial schrieb:

> Or alternatively, find someone willing to copy the CD for you, and use a
> modded Grey playstation, and make a cable. I'd be happy to forward the
> information on the cable.

Do you use Skywalkers Serialcable No.2 ?

JJoS

--
I hate bugs! - I like Starship Troopers...

gazw

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99

belial wrote in message <_UUe3.405$A55....@ozemail.com.au>...

>You can't they don't make them anymore.
>
>You shoudl look into Caetla or something similar.
>
>Or alternatively, find someone willing to copy the CD for you, and use a
>modded Grey playstation, and make a cable. I'd be happy to forward the
>information on the cable.
>
>My yaroze is a grey PSX, as I had my black on stolen, I don't believe I've
>violated any law as I am a paid up member of the Yaroze program.

just out of interest mate , couldn`t you have contacted Sony re a
replacement ? Surely they have a few knocking about ?
On this subject , has anyone ever had aproblem with any of the kit ?
Like the cable not working , the cd getting scratched , or whatever . I
know the production of Yaroze`s is finished , but what happens to any of us
if the kit ( or any part of it , ) falls over ?
I`d be interested to know if anyone has had to contact Sony for replacement
" parts " , and what the outcome was .

cheers
gaz

Damien Hampton

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
Cheers Belial, gaz,

there are no more yarozes at sony, I've already tried, all the spare ones
were either given out to unis and colleges or shipped back to japan.

...but I'm well interested in this modded grey platstation idea, I have one
but I would need someone to talk me through the linking up side of things.

the loan of your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Damien

Rikki Prince

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
> What gives with the one machine per customer thing anyway????? Seems
> strange to me.

" "So they don't sell out of Yaroze's too quickly...oh, d'oh, they already
have...", he said without an ounce of sarcasm in his voice", he said
sarcastically... (does that make sense? lol)

Rikki

belial

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99

joh...@netway.at wrote in message <377CF759...@netway.at>...
>belial schrieb:

>> Or alternatively, find someone willing to copy the CD for you, and use a
>> modded Grey playstation, and make a cable. I'd be happy to forward the
>> information on the cable.
>
>Do you use Skywalkers Serialcable No.2 ?

I have the circuit diagram for it, but I use my Yaroze Cable (that was not
stolen).

..belial..

belial

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99

gazw wrote in message <7lj3lv$cuk$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>just out of interest mate , couldn`t you have contacted Sony re a
>replacement ? Surely they have a few knocking about ?

Well, I wrote, requesting to purchase another one and explained what had
happened, I was told I couldn't purchase another yaroze as I had already
purchased one.

At that point I got sick of the delays, being from NZ and all, so I decided
just to get a grey PSX, mod it, and see if that worked. It did.

See, I had all the software, and the cable still, I just didn't have the
machine/power supply. They also nicked shit loads of my PC CD's as they
thought they might be games or something. The cops never did anything to
find any of our stolen stuff (wasn't just my psx, all our music cd's, and
video player etc.) so I wasn't going to get it back. And besides, a grey
psx + mod chip was a hell of a lot cheaper than importing another yaroze
machine.

>On this subject , has anyone ever had aproblem with any of the kit ?
>Like the cable not working , the cd getting scratched , or whatever . I
>know the production of Yaroze`s is finished , but what happens to any of us
>if the kit ( or any part of it , ) falls over ?

I honestly don't know what the support level is like. I havn't had any
problems (other than the obvious), I was eventually told I could buy a new
yaroze, after having a fit about not being able to replace it when it was
stolen, but by then I was already set up again with a grey psx.

What gives with the one machine per customer thing anyway????? Seems
strange to me.

>I`d be interested to know if anyone has had to contact Sony for replacement

>" parts " , and what the outcome was .

Cable worked perfectly for me. Anyone manage to blow it somehow?

..belial..

belial

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7llj33$s03$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...

OK, you need a serial cable, with MAX232 chips in the middle to modify the
voltage, as per skywalkers link up cable. see
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/6332/

You need a mod chip. Which from the sound of it you already have.

You need a Action Replay. Available from loads of shops or online order
forms

and you need a copy of the yaroze boot disk. (Difficult bit)

I saw some web page had a copy of the yaroze boot disk on it, and a cracked
one as well. I downloaded them out of interest, but they don't appear to
work. Although, thats probably the fault of my CD Writer. the .ISO images
were made for use with EZCD-Pro, other software is likely to write
incorrectly.

the page was : http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/7987/

Make the cable, plug it in, boot the psx up with the CD, and your away (oh,
sorry, you need a copy of siocons or codewarrior).. I recommend codewarrior.
its worth it.

..belial..

Damien Hampton

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
Okay, I've got the modded playstation (my own fair handiwork....)
I've downloaded the .iso file, and burnt it and now my playstation boots to
a blue 'SONY' logo, is this a good sign?
I take it I have to make the cable out of bits and pieces!! How does that
work? The playstation serial cable to this MAX232 chip thing (what is that?)
and then a null modem cable to the PC serial port. Cool. I have no idea what
this MAX232 thing is (call be backward!)
Why do I need a copy of codewarrior? and How do I get my PSX programs to go
down the cable?

I appreaciate your patience with me on this!

yours

king novice

belial

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7lqj33$4ms$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>Okay, I've got the modded playstation (my own fair handiwork....)
>I've downloaded the .iso file, and burnt it and now my playstation boots to
>a blue 'SONY' logo, is this a good sign?

Nope, it isn't a good sign. It should boot to a brick wall display, some
text should appear saying "Checking key card.." and then "failed" if you've
got a working CD.

Check that you are using Ezcd-pro or ezcd-creator, and that your CDR
supports DISK AT ONCE recording, if it uses Track At Once it will not work.

Have you got WINCDR???

>I take it I have to make the cable out of bits and pieces!!

Yep.

>How does that work?

The voltage from the playstation is too low to interface with a PC's serial
port.

>The playstation serial cable to this MAX232 chip thing (what is that?)

Its a chip specifically for modifying voltages from chip level, to RS232
levels, it will act as a go between between the PC and the PSX allowing them
to correctly talk to each other so to speak.

>and then a null modem cable to the PC serial port. Cool. I have no idea
what
>this MAX232 thing is (call be backward!)

its a Chip.

>Why do I need a copy of codewarrior? and How do I get my PSX programs to go
>down the cable?

SIOCONS is a program to get your stuff down the wire, its all over the net
as various people have made enhancements to it.

I recommend purchasing codewarrior however, as it is a nice way to develop
the PSX, you get debugging for instance.

>I appreaciate your patience with me on this!

No problems. Its a shame no one can buy net yarozes anymore.

You'll need a action replay cartridge as well, so I hope you havn't got one
of these rumoured new PSX's with no parallel ports.

..belial..

now3d

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
hi

you need read all my links, the faq at naplam.intelinet.com is very use
full

download my game off my site if you are interested...

--
regards

icq #11122941
BombPSX Home page & Playstation Dev site
http://www.psxdev.freeserve.co.uk/

Damien Hampton

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
Nope, it isn't a good sign. It should boot to a brick wall display, some
text should appear saying "Checking key card.." and then "failed" if you've
got a working CD.

>> I realised that it had fucked up when the screen started showing messed
up graphics!! I'll work on that....

Check that you are using Ezcd-pro or ezcd-creator, and that your CDR
supports DISK AT ONCE recording, if it uses Track At Once it will not work.

Have you got WINCDR???

>> I have CDRWIN 3.7 and Adaptec easy cd creator 3.01, and apparently my CDR
supports disk at once and track at once, but I see no option to choose.

>I take it I have to make the cable out of bits and pieces!!

Yep.

>> oh hell

>How does that work?

The voltage from the playstation is too low to interface with a PC's serial
port.

>> with you so far

>The playstation serial cable to this MAX232 chip thing (what is that?)

Its a chip specifically for modifying voltages from chip level, to RS232
levels, it will act as a go between between the PC and the PSX allowing them
to correctly talk to each other so to speak.

>and then a null modem cable to the PC serial port. Cool. I have no idea
what
>this MAX232 thing is (call be backward!)

its a Chip.

>> I'm working on getting the MAX232 chip, I take it is then a PS serial
cable (is this also a null modem jobby? It would seem to make sense to me
that it would be) and a PC null modem cable, whip the ends off either cable
shove the MAX232 in the middle, dissolve the whole thing in a blob of solder
the size of a football and hey presto me house has burnt down, DOH!

>Why do I need a copy of codewarrior? and How do I get my PSX programs to go
>down the cable?

SIOCONS is a program to get your stuff down the wire, its all over the net
as various people have made enhancements to it.

>> I'll hunt it down

I recommend purchasing codewarrior however, as it is a nice way to develop
the PSX, you get debugging for instance.

>> I'll check that one out too....

>I appreaciate your patience with me on this!

No problems. Its a shame no one can buy net yarozes anymore.

>> believe me I tried, but all to no avail

You'll need a action replay cartridge as well, so I hope you havn't got one
of these rumoured new PSX's with no parallel ports.

>> whats that for then, the connection is round the back, why do I need the
action replay?????

..belial..

Once again muchas gracias

Damien

Damien Hampton

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
also,

I have notice an option to record either Track mode : mode1 or mode 2....
I have used mode 1, could this cause a problem?

belial

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7lt7ac$mhn$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> I'm working on getting the MAX232 chip, I take it is then a PS serial
>cable (is this also a null modem jobby? It would seem to make sense to me
>that it would be) and a PC null modem cable, whip the ends off either cable
>shove the MAX232 in the middle, dissolve the whole thing in a blob of
solder
>the size of a football and hey presto me house has burnt down, DOH!

OK Get the circuit, I believe you actually need 2 MAX232 chips, a quad NAND
chip and 10 1uf (I don't know how to do the micro symbol on my keyboard, but
its the u with the extended tail and the tick) capacitors.

You also need a serial link up cable, to masacre, and D9 plug to connect
too.

You don't sound like you are very electronically minded, I was going to make
one myself, to test, I should do that (next pay day) then I could answer all
your questions better.

>>No problems. Its a shame no one can buy net yarozes anymore.
>
>believe me I tried, but all to no avail

Ahh well, all the more reason to make a grey one :-)

> whats that for then, the connection is round the back, why do I need the
>action replay?????

Well, you use it to bypass the keycard checking on the Yaroze CD, (the
cracked one from that site doesn't work at all).

..belial..

paul...@my-deja.com

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Hi,

I've been following this thread as its pretty close to my heart. I
saved the money, and just as I was ready to buy I heard Sony was
stopping shipments of it. Bugger!

OK, I've followed everything so far, but as I'm not much of a wizard
with a soldering iron or anything, is anybody willing to sell a working
serial cable or if not any ideas where I may be able to buy one from?

With regards to SIOCONS and Codewarrior, do you need both of these bits
of software? From what I know the Codewarrior package is optional but
highly recomended, am I correct in thinking you can still buy this for
the Yaroze? Any info on these two things would be greatly appreciated.

OK now for my last question.. Sony supplied CD's containing a lot of
the development libraries with the original machine, how necesarry are
these to being able to develop simple demos and ideas? Does anyone
know if these can be found on the net?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for the patience to anybody
who answers. If its not too much trouble could copies of the reply
also be posted directly to me? If so the addres is
paul...@cheerful.com.

Thanks all.

Paul.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Damien Hampton

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
HI Paul,

In my understanding of this, SIOCONS is mandatory, Codewarrior is an IDE, so
if you have one you are used to then that would do, and apart from that you
will need the PS libraries and compilers as the PS only uses a couple of the
standard C libraries.

Damien

Damien Hampton

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
belial,

you hit that one on the head, electronics isn't one of my strong points!! :)
But I did chip my own playstation so I know which way round to hold the Iron
(the other end hurts!! :) ) da dum!
I understand the parts list you've mentioned and given a clear instruction
on where the connections go I should be okay. The page with the connections
on the net did scare me a bit, something about ascii electronic diagrams
doesn't sit well in my bowels....
I was okay until it got to the pics of the max232 and its connections... I
even know that --| | -- is a capacitor (i think) but it did concern me......
Unless of course, that the actual pieces look like that, you know, a series
of ascii lines!! :)
I'm with you on the action replay though.

Another query, do you know much about producing hi res graphics on the
playstation (640x512) ?

cheers (again!!.....)

Damien

belial

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7lvnrd$6vp$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>Another query, do you know much about producing hi res graphics on the
>playstation (640x512) ?

Actually, not a lot, other than your not going to get double buffering.
That would make programming the ingame portions in hires decidedly dodgy
(Have to time everything very carefully, start drawing, in a vertically
decending order, after the refresh, and hope you don't catch up with the
beam)

Tobal #1 did that. I think they switched to lowres for tobal #2, I'm not
sure, I havn't seen it, just a few screenshots.

Fine for loading screens and things though, obviously.

Also, my PSX is Pal, but doesn't do 320*256, I'm doing my game for 320*240
at the moment anyhow, as a PAL/NTSC mode detector won't be a problem then.

So.. I suspect at hires, I'd get 640*480... still ain't going to get double
buffering. Or is it possible to make the PSX use a 8 bit display buffer??
I'm pretty sure it isn't, but if it was you might be able to get double
buffering in hires.

..belial..

belial

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7lv79r$t87$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>also,
>
>I have notice an option to record either Track mode : mode1 or mode 2....
>I have used mode 1, could this cause a problem?

Yep, you want XA, Mode 2

belial

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

Damien Hampton wrote in message <7lvnah$6kk$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>HI Paul,
>
>In my understanding of this, SIOCONS is mandatory, Codewarrior is an IDE,
so
>if you have one you are used to then that would do, and apart from that you
>will need the PS libraries and compilers as the PS only uses a couple of
the
>standard C libraries.

Well, that and Codewarrior has additional library functions in it for
redirecting CD i/o to the PC, and memory card i/o to the PC, allowing you to
(for instance) transfer your code to the PSX, it then proceeds to load all
the graphics, at that point if you change any code and retransfer it to the
PSX, it doesn't need to load the graphics anymore, as they are already in
memory.

You can debug the code as it runs.

You don'tneed SIOCONS, it has its own software for this side of things, that
boosts the transfer rate and leaves it there.

umm.. generally, its really good.

..belial..

Murray Moffatt

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
paul...@my-deja.com wrote:
> OK, I've followed everything so far, but as I'm not much of a wizard
> with a soldering iron or anything, is anybody willing to sell a working
> serial cable or if not any ideas where I may be able to buy one from?

Has anybody here tried using an Xplorer cartridge (called an "Xploder"
in the US) for PSX dev work? My understanding is that you can use an
ordinary cable that plugs into your parallel port with this cartridge.

now3d

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
yes you can, it will work fine
you can even flash it with caetla .34 I think

it is not as good as an AR +commslink tho

Murray Moffatt

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
now3d wrote:

> yes you can, it will work fine
> you can even flash it with caetla .34 I think
>
> it is not as good as an AR +commslink tho

Why not?

Damien Hampton

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Well, I know there isn't enough space in VRAM to store 640x480(512) double
buffered, but also, if you are updating the screen every vsync() then you
have to load your screen to the display from system memory which seems too
slow (maybe I'm not doing it right), you could use an 8bit graphic to shove
into VRAM and use that with MoveImage() to get it into the Display area, but
then its 8 bit and for a glorious background, 8 bit smells, dithered to
buggery.
That leaves options to do 640*256(240) to get a higher res, which wouldn't
crucify the amount of VRAM you have.
I'm working on it......

Damien

Damien Hampton

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
With ya.

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!!

Damien
belial wrote in message ...

JC

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
I have been watching this thread with very keen interest, and now it is time
to throw my 2c worth :).

I too have been looking at doing this for a long time, and I finally went
out and got myself a power replay (Pretty shitty substitute, will be
reflashed VERY soon). I got both the cracked and non cracked version of the
yaroze cd, and burnt them both. I tried the AR code with the noncracked
version, and it didn't pass the test (I guess it will when I get it
reflashed). with the cracked version, it got passed the card test, and the
memory card, then stopped at terminal speed 9600. Is this a good thing?(I
don't have the skywalker cable made up yet, so does the computer have to be
connected to the PSX so it can go anyfurther? Also, has anyone had
success/failure with the skywalker cable?)I have noticed some one else got a
blue PSX screen when the cd boots. Mine doesn't do that, the PSX screen that
comes up has the PS logo missing, and only the letter E comes up in the
words donw the bottom.

So what I guess I am trying to say is I am I the right track, or am I
experiencing delusions of granduir, and will never be able to code my own
games for the cornerstone of life we call the Playstation?

Thanks,

jC

now3d

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
less tools work on it
most stuff is written for AR
tho more and more are comming out for x-plorer all the time

now3d

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
sounds ok to me

Action replay is 15 times quicker tho

and I still get pissed off with ar being slow...

you need to serial lead to change the terminal speed with siocons...

--
regards

now3d

belial

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

JC wrote in message <3786e...@pink.one.net.au>...

>I have been watching this thread with very keen interest, and now it is
time
>to throw my 2c worth :).
>
>I too have been looking at doing this for a long time, and I finally went
>out and got myself a power replay (Pretty shitty substitute, will be
>reflashed VERY soon). I got both the cracked and non cracked version of
the
>yaroze cd, and burnt them both. I tried the AR code with the noncracked
>version, and it didn't pass the test (I guess it will when I get it
>reflashed). with the cracked version, it got passed the card test, and the
>memory card, then stopped at terminal speed 9600. Is this a good thing?(I

Yes, this is definately a good thing.

>don't have the skywalker cable made up yet, so does the computer have to be
>connected to the PSX so it can go anyfurther?

Thats as far as it goes. Now you write a program, transfer it over, and
run it.

>Also, has anyone had
>success/failure with the skywalker cable?)I have noticed some one else got
>blue PSX screen when the cd boots. Mine doesn't do that, the PSX screen
that
>comes up has the PS logo missing, and only the letter E comes up in the
>words donw the bottom.

Yep, I get that too on a badly made CD. I never got any of the CD images
from that web site to work, I am using a copy of my old yaroze CD, so its
not cracked at all.

>So what I guess I am trying to say is I am I the right track, or am I
>experiencing delusions of granduir, and will never be able to code my own
>games for the cornerstone of life we call the Playstation?

Your on completely the right track.

..belial..

Damien Hampton

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
do you have the image file for the cracked yaroze disk, the copy I have
seems to be buggered, ezcd pro doesn't pick up my burner, its a genuine
Sony job running on an adaptec 2940, don't know why it can't see it.....
,CDRWIN keeps saying that the iso file isn't the correct size (multiple of
cd sector blah blah blah) and easy cd creator will burn the iso file but
then boots a bit then crashes in a mess of graphics, as though it had just
had a nervous breakdown and puked its vram to the screen. not nice.

still looking into the cable thing.... trying to get bits. Any chance of
finding a clearer circuit diagram than the ascii jobby on that site?

ta

Damien

[...]

JC

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
O.k. I have had a lot of demand for this yaroze crack in CDRWIN since the
first posts about it actually working, so I have uploaded it to
http://web.one.net.au/~jcoleman. This site is only going to have it for a
few days, just until I can get enough time to get my web server running.
With the new site, www.theoubliette.com, I am going to have as much on there
as I can, so if you have anything to contribute, please email me at
sh...@dog.com. The main aim of the PS side of the site is to help out
newbies(Like me) to get a start, and all utilities needed to get started, so
anything at all will be a big help.

Thanks,
jC