Concerns about a GBA Street Fighter Zero 3

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Tempora

unread,
Jun 17, 2001, 10:56:09 PM6/17/01
to
Remember Street fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES? The port was so hampered by
the 32Mbit of memory, horrendous loading, horrendous music and SFX, slowdown
and general sluggishness that they should've port Street Fighter Alpha
instead.

As for SFZ3 on the GBA, unless Capcom seriously ramps up the ROM size to at
LEAST the size of the largest N64 game in existence and totally masters 2D
programming on the GBA so the system can keep up with the animation and fast
pace of the game, porting SFZ3 Upper could prove to be too ambitious on the
part of Capcom. Heck, porting plain ol' SFZ3 without Evil Ryu, Guile,
Deejay, Fei Long, etc. soaking up their share of ROM could be stretching
whatever available ROM space they are devoting to the game.

Here's hoping this doesn't become a disaster like SNES SFA2.

P.S. Street Fighter Zero 2 for the GBA would've been really sweet, since
that is arguably the best, LEAST ported, and therefore most underexposed
game in the Zero series...

--
French Fries are the
White Rice of Fast Food.


Matt Greer

unread,
Jun 17, 2001, 11:13:17 PM6/17/01
to

"Tempora" <temp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9gjqed$3r0$1...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net...

> Remember Street fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES? The port was so hampered by
> the 32Mbit of memory, horrendous loading, horrendous music and SFX,
slowdown
> and general sluggishness that they should've port Street Fighter Alpha
> instead.

I know COTM is 64mb. So A3 being 128mb is feasable, if not 256.

> Here's hoping this doesn't become a disaster like SNES SFA2.

Well A3 sucks anyway, so I don't think it really matters either way.

--
Matt
http://www.gbafan.net
Game Boy Advance Fanatic


finalatomicbuster

unread,
Jun 17, 2001, 11:37:34 PM6/17/01
to
From the sprites of Z-Guy and Z-Cody in Final Fight on GBA, I think it is
very possible. One thing I didn't mention in my review was that the gba
never slowed down. There would be 8 enemies on screen and 2 players LINKED
and you would still be running on full framerate. Even when you have Rapid
Punch on, the game doesn't slow down. I think this would help assertain that
the GBA is more than capable of holding in the sprites of our beloved A3
characters... Keep in mind that they are of a lesser resolution than their
arcade versions due to the limited screen res on the gba, but if you've seen
FFO on it, you'll know that it doesn't make any difference....

SSF2T revival should also be a good measuring stick...


Jon Perry

unread,
Jun 18, 2001, 3:05:53 PM6/18/01
to

Tempora wrote:
>
> Remember Street fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES? The port was so hampered by
> the 32Mbit of memory, horrendous loading, horrendous music and SFX, slowdown
> and general sluggishness that they should've port Street Fighter Alpha
> instead.

For one thing to make you feel better the SNES had a 3.58MHZ CPU the GBA
has a 16MHz 32bit RISC-CPU. It is *more* than 4 times as fast plus one
is 16 bit and the other is 32 bit. So I think we'll be OK.

Do you think that they think that Hardcore SFA3 gamers will be playing
this game seriously? They don't nor do I. It will be fun, but even if
they put in all the animation, so what? You still have only 4 buttons
to work with. So you'll prolly be looking at a control scheme like CvS
whivh means you have to press a certain way on the pad to get the middle
attacks. That'll fuck up any "classic" gameplay that you love and
cherish anyway regardless of preserved animation.

You saw what they did with 32megabits for the SNES, the max cart size
for the GBA is 256 megabits however will they spend that much money for
the game? We'll see.

-Jon in Canada

Ziggy

unread,
Jun 18, 2001, 10:52:19 PM6/18/01
to
>hey don't nor do I. It will be fun, but even if
>they put in all the animation, so what? You still have only 4 buttons
>to work with. So you'll prolly be looking at a control scheme like CvS whivh
means you have to press a certain way on the pad to get the middle>

You hold the button longer for mid attacks.

Ziggy

finalatomicbuster

unread,
Jun 18, 2001, 11:41:02 PM6/18/01
to
> You hold the button longer for mid attacks.
>

A3 is one of the few SF where you really do need all 6 buttons they way they
are. There are 3 levels of Vism, Level 3 supers (don't tell me that the CvS
method will work, it is a pretty dodgy way of doing it, and it also limits
you in other ways), 3 levels of FB/special moves in general... I don't see
how A3 could work as it is.

What Cap is likely to do, is change it some what and make it work on the
portable. I have no doubt they will be able to succeed in that at least...


Jon Perry

unread,
Jun 19, 2001, 2:36:24 AM6/19/01
to

finalatomicbuster wrote:
>
> > You hold the button longer for mid attacks.
> >
>
> A3 is one of the few SF where you really do need all 6 buttons they way they
> are. There are 3 levels of Vism, Level 3 supers (don't tell me that the CvS
> method will work, it is a pretty dodgy way of doing it, and it also limits
> you in other ways), 3 levels of FB/special moves in general... I don't see
> how A3 could work as it is.

That was my point. That A3 is not able to be arcade perfect as it only
has 4 buttons. Also, I think I will stick to my DC SFA3 as I cannot
play F-Zero with my average size Canadian hands. The GBA is too small
for me when I have to use all 4 buttons.

I did not make the statement that the CvS way will be arcade perfect, I
said that is one solution to get all the attacks in, albeit not
perfection.

The GBA is nifty, but it isn't for me. Mario Bros. is fun. Always
liked that game.



> What Cap is likely to do, is change it some what and make it work on the
> portable. I have no doubt they will be able to succeed in that at least...

-Jon in Canada

--
I avoid cliches like the plague

finalatomicbuster

unread,
Jun 19, 2001, 2:52:53 AM6/19/01
to
> That was my point. That A3 is not able to be arcade perfect as it only
> has 4 buttons. Also, I think I will stick to my DC SFA3 as I cannot
> play F-Zero with my average size Canadian hands. The GBA is too small
> for me when I have to use all 4 buttons.

err, yeah. I just looked over it again, and I didn't quite word it right. :)
I didn't mean to sound like I was attack you either, I was more or less
expanding your point I think... man, this work day better end soon...

> The GBA is nifty, but it isn't for me. Mario Bros. is fun. Always
> liked that game.
>

GBA is great. It really is the only current system that will be able to pull
off old school classics without a hitch. PSX is getting Final Fantasy
Chronicles, but even on that thing, it gets a bad conversion (granted that
almost nothing, not even the extreme loading times, can ruin a game like
Chrono Trigger ^_^ ). The only thing that the GBA is missing is support from
Square to bring back some old titles... and that is only an issue now, who
knows what may happen in the future.


Paxtez

unread,
Jun 19, 2001, 10:06:44 AM6/19/01
to
Jon Perry <jpe...@accesswave.ca> wrote in
news:3B2E5111...@accesswave.ca:

>
>
> Tempora wrote:
>
> Do you think that they think that Hardcore SFA3 gamers will be playing
> this game seriously? They don't nor do I. It will be fun, but even if
> they put in all the animation, so what? You still have only 4 buttons
> to work with. So you'll prolly be looking at a control scheme like CvS
> whivh means you have to press a certain way on the pad to get the
> middle attacks. That'll fuck up any "classic" gameplay that you love
> and cherish anyway regardless of preserved animation.

Acctually they are going to do a button combo thing for the mid attacks,
A = Jab
B = Short
L = Fierce
R = Roundhouse
A+L = Strong
B+R = Foward

Something like that, shouldn't be THAT bad...


Jon Perry

unread,
Jun 19, 2001, 5:44:15 PM6/19/01
to

finalatomicbuster wrote:
>
> > That was my point. That A3 is not able to be arcade perfect as it only
> > has 4 buttons. Also, I think I will stick to my DC SFA3 as I cannot
> > play F-Zero with my average size Canadian hands. The GBA is too small
> > for me when I have to use all 4 buttons.
>
> err, yeah. I just looked over it again, and I didn't quite word it right. :)
> I didn't mean to sound like I was attack you either,

Ptth, My skin has internet callouses and self installed asbestos
lining. A little disgreement or perceived disagreement isn't going to
ruffle my feathers.

'Sides as an established poster on AGSF, you are hardly known for
flighting. .>

finalatomicbuster

unread,
Jun 19, 2001, 6:28:48 PM6/19/01
to
> Acctually they are going to do a button combo thing for the mid attacks,
> A = Jab
> B = Short
> L = Fierce
> R = Roundhouse
> A+L = Strong
> B+R = Foward
>
> Something like that, shouldn't be THAT bad...
>
>

Two words = "Spinning Lariat"

... bugger, I hate the QCB+P in SVC... oh well...


finalatomicbuster

unread,
Jun 20, 2001, 12:04:21 AM6/20/01
to
> 'Sides as an established poster on AGSF, you are hardly known for
> flighting. .>
>

"established poster" hey? hehe ^_^, I like that title! hehe... I'm going to
use that as my title under my name in SRK! :)... (that is, if I ever post
there again... )


Ziggy

unread,
Jun 22, 2001, 6:20:53 AM6/22/01
to
I dont think anyone should worry about SFZ3 on GBA to be non arcade perfect. It
most likely wont be, but thats what the DC is for. GBA will deliver a
convinient fighter that should be good and hopefully a little different. We
seriously dont need these multiple versions of the same game trying to be
arcade perfect. It wont be perfect but it should be good in its own right.

Ziggy

(e)magius

unread,
Jun 22, 2001, 8:08:19 AM6/22/01
to

The DC version of SFA3/SFZ3 is hardly arcade perfect. Not that the
arcade version was pefect in its own right, of course. =)

Best,

--Imad "(e)magius" Hussain
_____________________________________________________________________

"I have put on the mask of the sorcerer to hide my true self, but I am
revealed, for the mask has become my own face." -- Darrell Schweitzer,
_The Mask of the Sorcerer_
_____________________________________________________________________

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages